• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Mega Man X2 is another case (besides using -boost-fx 3+) where the command line flag -no-lowlatency can alleviate some performance issues. The submarine in the Bubble Crab stage causes massive lag without it. The low latency mode (which is default if you don't use -no-lowlatency) is intended to reduce input lag at the cost of performance by running everything on the same thread, but I don't think there's really any perceptible difference in input lag between the two modes. Later I'll give Samurai Kirby a shot to test it.

Just to follow up on this a bit, I tried all of the different flags that supposedly have an impact on input lag on Samurai Kirby, but I always got a score of 15 or 16 no matter what. So at this point I think I can recommend the -no-lowlatency flag to improve performance if you want to overclock your Super FX games to 3x or more, or if you're playing Mega Man X2 or X3.

So, to use -boost-fx or not? You seem to say no then yes?
The point is that it's up to you. If you want the game to run at a pretty steady 20fps, then you can use -boost-fx 8 -no-lowlatency, but your cutscenes will be out of sync and the game will be more difficult than the designers probably intended.

Red Devil

Turn on without reset, just wait a couple seconds until the computer recognizes the snes mini. Mine takes time until it synchronizes.

That doesn't seem to work either, it either does nothing or I get an "unregonized device" message. For whatever reason it isn't detecting the Mini when I try to synchronize it detected it fine for anything else. When I turn it on without reset the PC does two "beep" sounds.

Sigh, still no way to disable epilepsy protection. I'm holding off on continuing Earthbound until I can get rid of the awful, distracting blur effect.

That doesn't seem to work either, it either does nothing or I get an "unregonized device" message. For whatever reason it isn't detecting the Mini when I try to synchronize it detected it fine for anything else. When I turn it on without reset the PC does two "beep" sounds.

Pretty sure the "unrecognized device" is what you want, because that's the computer recognizing that it has something plugged into it. It's not like Windows knows it's called an NES Classic because it's not meant to interface with Windows, there's no drivers Windows can install to recognize it. So it knows it has something plugged in, but not what it is.

At least, that's how it worked for me when I stumbled through hacking my NES Classic yesterday.

Oh man... Any clues?

Originally tried to add the custom snes boarder to the folder, ended up with no boarders on the menu when I synced (games add fine). If I flash the original kernal it adds the boarders again but whenever I flash the custom kernel it seemingly deletes all the boarders (including the one I'm trying to add).

Any help please chaps?

MMX slowed to a crawl during the underwater dragon fight in Launch Octopus stage - was this always the case?

Yes. You can tell the difference between emulator lag and lag that affected the original game by the audio. If the music keeps playing correctly without any skips or stuttering, then mostly likely what you're experiencing is something that affected the original hardware.

Red Devil

Pretty sure the "unrecognized device" is what you want, because that's the computer recognizing that it has something plugged into it. It's not like Windows knows it's called an NES Classic because it's not meant to interface with Windows, there's no drivers Windows can install to recognize it. So it knows it has something plugged in, but not what it is.

At least, that's how it worked for me when I stumbled through hacking my NES Classic yesterday.

Right, however it says that it's not working correctly when I turn it on without holding reset, when I hold reset it detects it as "NES Mini", on either case it doesn't seem to do anything when I click "Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini", I keep getting the same window "Waiting for your NES/SNES Mini...". My guess is that it might be an issue with the driver maybe?

Robin64

This looks like how I remember it playing!

How is this done? I tried it as a global command and I get C7 errors.

Best to only do it for Starfox, but that will mean you need to add it as a custom game and untick the stock one.

gQYMcFf.png

I made a video of Corneria in Starfox with -boost-fx 8 and -no-lowlatency. Keep in mind I never get less than 100% in stage 1 when I play this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJW5Efy7CU

Yeah. It's rough. When I first discovered the -no-lowlatency flag, I tried to play through the whole game like that but I couldn't beat the Meteor stage. Given that I can normally beat the game blindfolded, it's clearly a huge difficulty spike. But, it's really fun too.

Mitama

How's the input lag in RetroArch? I'm asking because somewhere in this thread (around page 15-16, this thread moves fast!) someone (Robin64 iirc) mentioned that there's better devices to run RetroArch on. Is the input lag that noticeable or does RetroArch not run that well on this? Kind of a bummer if true :/. I know that Cluster will soon add KMFDManiac's RetroArch cores which also contain multiple versions of Snes9X, so that should be cool to play around with the games that aren't properly emulated by canoe.

I've been going back and forth for about an hour testing every combination of command line options I can, and I'm about 90% sure at this point that the -render-soft command line option reduces input lag by two whole frames.

Edit: Just to clarify, this is not a reply to the above post. I'm still talking about Canoe.

How's the input lag in RetroArch? I'm asking because somewhere in this thread (around page 15-16, this thread moves fast!) someone (Robin64 iirc) mentioned that there's better devices to run RetroArch on. Is the input lag that noticeable or does RetroArch not run that well on this? Kind of a bummer if true :/. I know that Cluster will soon add KMFDManiac's RetroArch cores which also contain multiple versions of Snes9X, so that should be cool to play around with the games that aren't properly emulated by canoe.

I can't speak to the input latency, but the problem titles that I've set RA up to run are pretty much unplayable; Hyper Dimension has audio artefacts, Marvellous runs like garbage as does Seiken Densetsu 3.

It's fun to tinker with, but it isn't a good enough alternative to get unsupported titles to run.

Right, however it says that it's not working correctly when I turn it on without holding reset, when I hold reset it detects it as "NES Mini", on either case it doesn't seem to do anything when I click "Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini", I keep getting the same window "Waiting for your NES/SNES Mini...". My guess is that it might be an issue with the driver maybe?

Fuck, I wish I could remember what I did because that same thing happened to me. I was really stoned but for some reason decided that was as good a time as any to hack the one item I own that's like worth more than gold, messed up multiple times on each step yet somehow still came out of it with a perfectly working hacked NES.

I remember getting to that step and seeing the window after I'd already installed the drivers, and that progress bar in the background, and I was like what the fuck do I do? I've already installed the drivers... I think I turned it off and on again and waited a few seconds, then my computer made the "hey something's plugged in sound" and the power light to the NES Classic came on (which scared the shit out of me because I thought it was supposed to be off for it to work but I guess that's the SNES Classic) and then a third thing happened and the progress bar started to fill. Maybe I just hit the "X" out of that dialog box? Ugh I'm sorry I can't remember more clearly ):

Edit: Oh shit I just remembered I was using Hakchi2 version 2.17d if that makes any difference? From your screen it looks like you're hacking the NES Classic so maybe download that version and try? I wonder if there's something in the newer Hakchi2 versions that's messing up NES hacks

Joey Ravn

Banned
hey guys, how do you replace/resize the little box art sprites/images on the bottom of pages? Where the little arrow is. I see some have different setups there.

It's really easy!

Go to your /hakchi/games_snes folder. You'll see lots of folders with names like "CLV-P-SAAAE" (which is the default name for Super Mario World, for example).

Inside those folders you'll see a bunch of files, two of which correspond to the boxes: "CLV-P-SAAAE.png" (the big box for the icon) and "CLV-P-SAAAE_small.png" (the small box used as a thumbnail). Simply replace the "XXX_small.png" file with whatever you want.

I have every thumbnail set to a transparent 10x21 PNG, and modified my packed.png, so I don't see neither the arrow-shaped cursor nor the thumbnails :)

bubumiao

I'm having the exact same problem. Tried to turn off the driver signature thing in Windows (I'm using Windows 8), that didn't work. Tonight I'll try reflashing to my original kernel. I don't know what the fucks wrong. I've seen at least 3 or 4 people in this thread and on gbatemp with the same problems.

Also, if I turn on my SNES Classic edition on my TV it wants me to put in the Konami code? What the fuck I didn't set this to do this anywhere. And I can't figure out how to turn it off in retroarch menus. Anyone else have that happen?

sotojuan

Are the UI switches/checkboxes (checkcircles) supposed to be more pixelated under hakchi or is that how it is originally?

If it comes back to ya please let us know. It was pissing me off last night so I just gave up and went to bed.

You caught me before my edit but I remembered I was using Hakchi2 version 2.17d, which was the one before they added SNES support. Maybe using that one would help?

It's really easy!

Go to your /hakchi/games_snes folder. You'll see lots of folders with names like "CLV-P-SAAAE" (which is the default name for Super Mario World, for example).

Inside those folders you'll see a bunch of files, two of which correspond to the boxes: "CLV-P-SAAAE.png" (the big box for the icon) and "CLV-P-SAAAE_small.png" (the small box used as a thumbnail). Simply replace the "XXX_small.png" file with whatever you want.

I have every thumbnail set to a transparent 10x21 PNG, and modified my packed.png, so I don't see neither the arrow-shaped cursor nor the thumbnails :)

Ill definitely have to do this.

Javier

Fire Emblem Thracia 776 (Japanese ROM version, no patches) seems to work just fine. Played up to finishing Chapter 1 and had no issues.

Didn't bother with any translation patches since they're all glitchy as fuck, so I don't expect the SNES Mini to run them.

It's really easy!

tyvm!

SOLDIER

Anyone try the Chrono Trigger Plus hack with Retroarch?

Nobody could get it working with the Classic, but I’m real curious about the hack.

Lettuce

Anyone know why i get a C8 Error when i try and turn the system off and it wont power down and just displays the C8 Error screen?

One more question: If I decide to add a duplicate version of one of the original games in order to add a patch, would I be able to transfer my save from the patched duplicate version to the original version?

For example, if I put 20 hours into the Ted Woolsey patch version of FFVI (after adding it as a second ROM) would I be able to use that save/save state in the version of the game built into the system?

SheHateMe

Just like I did with the NES Classic, I'm only putting a select amount of games on here and then I'm done.

With that being said, I have ONE more game I want to put up here, and I don't want to use retroarch to do it.

If anyone can find a way for me to put Super Demo World up here, I will forever be grateful.

bubumiao

Anyone know why i get a C8 Error when i try and turn the system off and it wont power down and just displays the C8 Error screen?
Could be you have too many games in a row (more than 60). Or a bad rom file? Robin64 would know more reasons, that's all I can think of.

Red Devil

Fuck, I wish I could remember what I did because that same thing happened to me. I was really stoned but for some reason decided that was as good a time as any to hack the one item I own that's like worth more than gold, messed up multiple times on each step yet somehow still came out of it with a perfectly working hacked NES.

I remember getting to that step and seeing the window after I'd already installed the drivers, and that progress bar in the background, and I was like what the fuck do I do? I've already installed the drivers... I think I turned it off and on again and waited a few seconds, then my computer made the "hey something's plugged in sound" and the power light to the NES Classic came on (which scared the shit out of me because I thought it was supposed to be off for it to work but I guess that's the SNES Classic) and then a third thing happened and the progress bar started to fill. Maybe I just hit the "X" out of that dialog box? Ugh I'm sorry I can't remember more clearly ):

Edit: Oh shit I just remembered I was using Hakchi2 version 2.17d if that makes any difference? From your screen it looks like you're hacking the NES Classic so maybe download that version and try? I wonder if there's something in the newer Hakchi2 versions that's messing up NES hacks

When I try to close that window it asks me if I want to "cancel the current operation", if I click "No" it's still stuck on the same thing, if I click "Yes" it cancels the whole thing.

I'm having the exact same problem. Tried to turn off the driver signature thing in Windows (I'm using Windows 8), that didn't work. Tonight I'll try reflashing to my original kernel. I don't know what the fucks wrong. I've seen at least 3 or 4 people in this thread and on gbatemp with the same problems.

Also, if I turn on my SNES Classic edition on my TV it wants me to put in the Konami code? What the fuck I didn't set this to do this anywhere. And I can't figure out how to turn it off in retroarch menus. Anyone else have that happen?

When I try to play on my TV everything works fine as if I haven't changed anything, I guess because I couldn't add any game.

Joey Ravn

Banned

How many games do you have installed, and how many of them are in the same folder/page?

If you have more than 63 games in a page or folder, the system will give you a C8 error when you turn it off.

Top Bottom