• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Sleepydays

Banned
I've had very mixed results with getting games to work, and stuff that appears to have full compatibility going by the spreadsheet. It'll let me put them on there, they just circle back to the menu when you launch them. Any ideas?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I've had very mixed results with getting games to work, and stuff that appears to have full compatibility going by the spreadsheet. It'll let me put them on there, they just circle back to the menu when you launch them. Any ideas?
Game names? I haven’t kept up with it, but I’ve had very little compatibility issues.

Sleepydays

Banned
Game names? I haven’t kept up with it, but I’ve had very little compatibility issues.

TMNT Tournament Fighters, Final Fight 2....but there were plenty more besides. I'm guessing it's the dumps, but they've worked on my pi without issues.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
TMNT Tournament Fighters, Final Fight 2....but there were plenty more besides. I'm guessing it's the dumps, but they've worked on my pi without issues.
Hmm, could be. I never tested those two.

I’m not sure of what’s included in the latest build of Hakchi, but can you still choose to select individual games to run on an alternate emulator (RetroArch)? You could try that as that worked for me for games that wouldn’t work on the default emulator.

You used to have to opt to install RetroArch seperately. It didn’t install by default with Hakchi.

Trying to dive into this SNES modding using my Mac running Parallels with Windows 7 32 bit and seem to have encountered an issue with Sfrom Tool:

Each time I try to launch it I get a "SFROM tool has stopped working" popup and can't proceed?

I've installed the requested 4.0 Framework as it wouldn't start at all without it and now have this issue. Any ideas? Robin64 Robin64
Get it working without using SFROM tool. It's possible to get by without it.

I don't use it myself.

Last edited:
Downloaded the lastest Hakchi with the SFROM collection and set everything up but Robotrek doesn't seem to work. The animated Enix logo pops up and then thats it, can still in game reset back to the menu.

Are the SFROM tweaks added automatically when you import the games? I'm using the No Intro set as that is what seems to be recommended for best quality and can't get this one to work, any help?

Actually, how are you supposed to be able to tell if SFROM has actually applied the patches at all? Is there a way to check?

Actraiser 2 is another one that won't boot on Canoe and Space Megaforce has the original sound issues that needed to be patched out.

Robin64

Actually, how are you supposed to be able to tell if SFROM has actually applied the patches at all? Is there a way to check?

Actraiser 2 is another one that won't boot on Canoe and Space Megaforce has the original sound issues that needed to be patched out.

In the bottom right corner of SFROM Tool is a light that goes green when it has picked up a patch.

zweifuss

I have this really weird issue somebody may be able to help me with. I can't save any of the EEPROM settings in arcade games (I use Mame2003 and FBA2016 from KMFDManic). I am using the USB-HOST, Hakchi CE v1.2.2, and the external cores HMOD. So say for example the soft setting of Neogeo... I go in, change everything, play my game, exit retroarch, and then when I go back into the game, everything is at factory again. Or if I play MK2, I go into the menu and increase the sound volume, save settings, go out of retroarch, come back in, it's all back to factory again. I tried going into retroarch and changing folders, but even that doesn't stick. When I go back into retroarch again (same core), and check the settings, they're all back to normal again. The only thing that seems to save fine is my key maps. So I may be misssing something obvious or these emulators don't have that feature in them for this particular device. Cause I know with the retropie, this was never an issue. For example I would set my SFiii2 into widescreen, change to freeplay, etc., and when I would play it again a few days later, everything was saved and I didn't have to go back and change all my settings again.

In the bottom right corner of SFROM Tool is a light that goes green when it has picked up a patch.

Thank you, I'm using the latest CE version of Hakchi and have copied the SFROM Tool over along with your zip file of patches. Would I be correct in assuming that its automatically patched everything just from importing the ROMs or is there something else I have to do as the documentation for SFROM is a tad thin.

Velius

Banned
Hey guys I have a couple questions about this.

First of all, I deleted some games that weren't working but when I play the SNES mini the icons are still showing up. Any way to get rid of those?

Velius

Banned
This is what's happening.

If I hit install driver, it does its thing and then asks me to hit enter to exit the installer, but this submenu remains.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

So I installed the fan made Chrono trigger, crimson something and I can't get the game to play after the initial scene. The music plays though.

Also when I install games the seem to go into a sub folder, which I don't want.

Any tips to make it more gooder?

Im using version 2.3

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
So I installed the fan made Chrono trigger, crimson something and I can't get the game to play after the initial scene. The music plays though.

Also when I install games the seem to go into a sub folder, which I don't want.

Any tips to make it more gooder?

Im using version 2.3
You can turn folders off. Can’t remember if it’s a checkbox option or something. Might have something to do with the number of roms too.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It's a setting in 2.3 then? It was only 2 games I added so I'll check it out tonight.
Thanks
I setup my system a while ago, so I was using an older version. I dare say, it’s still an option. I advise you to watch a step by step Youtube tutorial if you have further trouble, it helped me a lot.

For those of you that have installed RetroArch on the Mini how bad is the lag? It was quite noticeable upon initial release and I'm wondering if thats changed because it would be nice to add some other platforms on there now.

For those of you that have installed RetroArch on the Mini how bad is the lag? It was quite noticeable upon initial release and I'm wondering if thats changed because it would be nice to add some other platforms on there now.
look into "run ahead" available since RA 1.7.2 to remove lag

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Anyone here able to help guide me step by step in fixing my NES Mini? It turns on but gets stuck at a blank screen and for some reason I'm having issues fixing it with the original kernel. Either it's not as simple as I expected it to be, or I'm an idiot xD

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, how simple is the latest hacking software to add support for more platforms? Like Mega Drive and NES and such?

And how is Neo Geo emulation so far? What emulators/cores have been ported and how do they perform on this thing?

How is the Amiga emulation on the Mini?
it's good, much improved since the early days on Mini

this link is the guy that looks after the Amiga port

So, how simple is the latest hacking software to add support for more platforms? Like Mega Drive and NES and such?

And how is Neo Geo emulation so far? What emulators/cores have been ported and how do they perform on this thing?
it's easy to add extra platforms

NeoGeo is very good. it's RetroArch

cores: https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications

Last edited:

Marcos Jr

Neo Member
Have they figured out how to add extra storage to these yet?
Absolutely.

There is a hardware mod where you can get an internal SD card, or you can use an adapter like the one below with any normal usb pendrive.

51W56LRm6WL._SL1200_.jpg

Absolutely.

There is a hardware mod where you can get an internal SD card, or you can use an adapter like the one below with any normal usb pendrive.
I'm not sure that cable is correct

but, yes, a micro USB OTG cable is what you need. Micro USB in + out, with regular USB in

Last edited:

Alexios

My brother in law's gift finally arrived (ordered a snes classic 14 december, shitty store only just brought it, lol). Really nice looking/feeling system as first impression.

We played some Contra 3 (oh no where's my Probotector) and SF2 and it all seemed just fine.

What's the best option for a 1080p TV to have a look approximating the original? CRT filter I guess?

What's the difference between 4:3 and pixel perfect? Some games have different resolution which means they originally stretched or squashed on 4:3 TVs for the intended look so pixel perfect isn't shown right?

And CRT does the same 4:3 maintaining while also adding the filter?

I'll let him play around with it a lot first before we try to hack it and add more games and such, just asking for the basics :)

It's too bad there aren't game specific borders, I thought that was a given, but the speakers one is okish.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
My brother in law's gift finally arrived (ordered a snes classic 14 december, shitty store only just brought it, lol). Really nice looking/feeling system as first impression.

We played some Contra 3 (oh no where's my Probotector) and SF2 and it all seemed just fine.

What's the best option for a 1080p TV to have a look approximating the original?

CRT filter I guess? What's the difference between 4:3 and pixel perfect? Some games have different resolution which means they originally stretched or squashed on 4:3 TVs for the intended look?

I'll let him play around with it a lot first before we try to hack it and add more games and such, just asking for the basics :)

It's too bad there aren't game specific borders, I thought that was a given, but the speakers one is okish.

I never did it myself, but the last time I paid attention to the hacking scene, they had already implemented custom borders and that was ages ago.

TLZ

Banned

What's the best option for a 1080p TV to have a look approximating the original? CRT filter I guess?

What's the difference between 4:3 and pixel perfect? Some games have different resolution which means they originally stretched or squashed on 4:3 TVs for the intended look so pixel perfect isn't shown right?

I think 4:3 gives the original CRT impression, while pixel perfect is what the devs originally intended, so you get the actual resolution they made.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think 4:3 gives the original CRT impression, while pixel perfect is what the devs originally intended, so you get the actual resolution they made.

This has always puzzled me. Is the pixel perfect actually the intended design, given the developers would have developed it on an for 4:3..?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
From Reddit:

On the SNES Mini there are three video options: 4:3, CRT, and Pixel Perfect.

4:3
Old CRT televisions had an aspect ratio of 4:3. This is slightly wider than tall. When you played your SNES as a kid this is the aspect ratio that you most likely played on.

CRT
CRT Mode is a 4:3 aspect ratio with a CRT filter applied that attempts to mimic the visual effect of older CRT televisions. This adds some blur and scanlines.

Pixel Perfect
The original SNES internal hardware created images at an almost-square 8:7 aspect ratio that were then slightly stretched to 4:3 to fit older televisions. With the advent of emulation, some fans came to prefer to play at the internal resolution of 8:7 as it was more accurate to the intended design of the games.

Here is a video about this exact thing.

Given that playing SNES games at their "pixel perfect" 8:7 ratio is a newer phenomenon that came out of the emulation community, it's actually surprising to me to find this setting on the Mini SNES. It shows some awareness on Nintendo's part, which is pretty cool.

Ultimately, there's no video mode that is best to play on, tho I'm sure some emulation fans would argue otherwise. Just use whatever you think looks best.

Alexios

This has always puzzled me. Is the pixel perfect actually the intended design, given the developers would have developed it on an for 4:3..?
Yeah that's what I was asking, I guess I wasn't clear enough. The art might indeed be pixel perfect as such but the dev may have intentionally made pixel art that looked squished normally cos the display would warp it back to normal. It's not like they didn't have other tricks to force a different resolution or aspect ratio for the main game with static borders or a mostly static gigantic HUD for the given game.
There's an NTSC patch for Super Probotector so you can play with the much cooler robots in 60fps.
Cool, I'll look it up when we start looking to add more games.

Last edited:

Robin64

The 4:3 vs 8:7 debate gets more complicated than you think. Mario's bricks are clearly properly square in 8:7, and it's how Nintendo draw them now in modern games like Mario Maker. So you could argue that Mario games are best in 8:7. But then something like Chrono Trigger has elements designed with the 4:3 stretch in mind, such as the moon. In 8:7, they are squished. Even crazier, some elements in Chrono Trigger are only the right shape in 8:7. Neither aspect ratio is the correct one here!

trikster40

Does anyone have a link to a really good, detailed walkthrough to install Hakchi on the SNES? I did it to my own SNES when I got it, but I can’t get it working right on my brother’s. NES games are crashing and soft-bricking it. I tried reinstalling everything from scratch and now nothing runs. I’m getting frustrated.

Alexios

I got this for my brother in law last year and figured it's about time I add more games/emulators for him. I need some help with RetroArch. I used hakchi2 CE (good?) to install that and the Final Burn Neo core and I transferred 10 games from the same FBN romset I use on my PC. the CPS2 games worked just fine (I was surprised even MvC was full speed actually) but Neo Geo games didn't seem to recognize the neogeo.zip with the bios is right there in the same folder with them so they didn't boot at all even though on my PC installion it works like that, I don't need to put the neogeo.zip in the system folder or anything like other bios do I have to put it on a specific folder for it to work with the SNES Classic RA? Also is there maybe a way to just launch RetroArch itself from a menu item instead of list all the individual games that run through it? I saw that one can easily access the normal RetroArch menu with start + select and even close the game and configure stuff there as usual, would that work out better, make it behave more like my PC installation? I don't care for having the menu universal with the official stuff as long as it's nice and tidy (or rather it would be nicer and tidier to just launch RA for any non-SNES games in my opinion). Also I saw a passing mention of some save mod that allows them to work compressed or something and save 1+MB for each file which can let you have more games but I couldn't find that mod or instructions anywhere.

Last edited:

Alexios

Well, never mind, I think putting the neogeo.zip just in the RetroArch system folder with the ftp interface of hakchi2 CE made it work (I'm not sure if that was it as I tried a few other things too, but I'm pretty sure that was it in the end). Certain games still don't play very nice in the Final Burn Neo core for some reason (they play fine on my PC and you would think they're less demanding than games that do work on the SNES Classic, games like Bubble Memories, any Puzzle Bobble past 2, Shinobi 1 even though Shadow Dancer worked fine, etc., it's quite random but there must be a reason and most for random hardware, not Capcom CPS or Neo Geo releases) but oh well, there are so many that do to add in their place it's a non issue. It also actually maps things by default very nicely, I've not tried any games where the mapping was weird just yet. All the Capcom fighters map the same way SFII SNES is mapped, all the action games map the attack/jump/whatever sensibly and so on. Sweet. You don't even have to know how to use RetroArch, it all appears like the normal included games, though if you want you can access the RA menu with Start + Select.

Last edited:
Top Bottom