• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the thumbnails separate images?

Like can I just use thumbnails with the SNES gray box stuff cropped off to save space?

That's actually something I tried, but I don't really like the way it looks. The boxes are less recognizable to me at a glance despite being bigger than they would be otherwise.

I8e8AFg.png

I made a list of games I'm going to add in anticipation of the tools coming out. Trying to keep the quality level high.

Any other suggestions?

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Tetris Battle Giaden
3. Tetris Attack
4. Donkey Kong Country 2
5. Donkey Kong Country 3
6. Fire Emblem 4 + Fan Translation
7. Demon's Crest
8. Skyblazer
9. Final Fantasy IV + Fan Translation
10. Sunset Riders
11. Illusion of Gaia
12. Terranigma
13. Kirby's Avalanche
14. Actraiser
15. Secret of Evermore
16. Uniracers (Or uhhh Apparently not given the video above)
17. Harvest Moon
18. Legend of the Mystical Ninja
19. Megaman X2
20. Megaman X3
21. Megaman 7
22. Seiken Densetsu 3 + Fan Translation
23. Dragon Quest V + Fan Translation
24. Dragon Quest VI + Fan Translation
25. Final Fantasy VI + Fan Translation
26. Final Fantasy V + Fan Translation
27. Axelay
28. Gradius 3
29. Super Bomberman 3
30. The Firemen
31. Tetris & Dr Mario

HotchieMotchie

Neo Member
So what's everyone thinking of StarFox 2? Outside of a bit short I've already cleared it once and can definitely see it being infinitely replayable!
I think it has some cool ideas and is incredibly ambitious for a SNES game but ultimately not all that fun.

Star Fox 64 took the best ideas from SF2 and used them in a way that made the game better than if it was just a straight successor to Star Fox 1.

I made a list of games I'm going to add in anticipation of the tools coming out. Trying to keep the quality level high.

Any other suggestions?

Space Megaforce/Super Aleste is one of the best shooters on the system (imo) and very impressive visually.
Maybe Lost Vikings? A puzzle platformer by Blizzard of all people.

Snaku

Banned
So here's where I'm at when we can start adding our own games to this thing.

Must Haves
Super Godzilla
Chrono Trigger
Batman Returns
Death and Return of Superman
Turtles in Time
Super Star Wars
Super ESB
Super ROTJ
Mortal Kombat II
Zombies Ate My Neoghbors
DBZ Hyper Dimension
Maximum Carnage
Uniracers
Mickey & Donald: Magical Adventure 3
Godzilla Kaiju Daikessen
Secret of Evermore
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Super Back to the Future 2
Gundam Wing Endless Duel
Seiken Densetsu 3

Nice to Have
The Adventures of Batman & Robin
Alien 3
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Incredible Hulk
Aladdin
Lion King
Jurassic Park
Inspector Gadget
ESPN National Hockey Night
King of the Monsters 2
Primal Rage

Any other suggestions?

This is currently my list, I would also appreciate suggestions:

ActRaiser
Assault Suits Valken (English Patch)
Axelay
Bahamut Lagoon (English Patch)
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Captain Commando
Castlevania Dracula X
Castlevania IV
Chrono Trigger
Contra III - The Alien Wars
Demon's Crest
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
E.V.O. Search for Eden
Earthbound
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
F-Zero
Final Fantasy IV (English Patch)
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fight 3
Front Mission - Gun Hazard (English Patch)
Ganbare Goemon - Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Ganbare Goemon 2
Ganbare Goemon 3
Ganbare Goemon 4
Ghoul Patrol
Gradius 3
Illusion of Gaia
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby Super Star
Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past
Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals
Magical Quest 2 - The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie
Magical Quest 3 - Mickey and Donald (English Patch)
Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
Mega Man 7
Mega Man Soccer
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Metal Warriors
Monstania (English Patch)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Parodius Ultimate
Pilotwings
Pocky and Rocky
Pocky and Rocky 2
Pop'n TwinBee
R-Type 3 - the Third Lightning
Ranma Nibunnoichi - Akanekodan Teki Hihou (English Patch)
Ranma Nibunnoichi - Chogi Ranbu Hen
Rockman & Forte
Romancing SaGa 3 (English Patch)
Rudra no Hihou (English Patch)
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3 (English Patch)
Shadowrun
Smash TV
Soul Blazer
Sparkster - Rocket Knight Adventures 2
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Sunset Riders
Super Bomberman 3
Super Bomberman 4 (English Patch)
Super Bomberman 5
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Super Star Wars - Return of the Jedi
Super Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back
Super Star Wars
Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers
Tales of Phantasia (English Patch)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV - Turtles in Time
Tenchi Muyou! Game Hen (English Patch)
Terranigma
Tetris Attack
The Lost Vikings
Treasure Hunter G (English Patch)
Tuff E Nuff
TwinBee - Rainbow Bell Adventure
U.N. Squadron
Uni Racers
Wario's Woods
World Heroes 2
X-Men 2 - Mutant Apocalypse
Yoshi's Island
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

inner-G

Banned
That's actually something I tried, but I don't really like the way it looks. The boxes are less recognizable to me at a glance despite being bigger than they would be otherwise.
I think they would look good that way if they weren’t rotated, I’ll give it a go when I start messing with mine. If it supports .png, adding a slight drop shadow to separate them would be cool too

BumRush

I know people are excited about adding more games, but even without any more, the Classic is amazing. Modern games can be amazing as well, but the SNES classic has like 10 of my 25 favorite games ever made in one spot with great QOL additions.

Quixzlizx

Went through every SNES game on GameFAQs to see which ones would be worthwhile to have on the Classic besides the 21 preinstalled ones. Placed them into two groups ("must-haves" and "nice to have").
It's just a hypothetical list for an ideal world where we could easily obtain every single SNES game:

Skipped (most) sports games, so no NBA Jam or Megaman Soccer.

What do you think about this list? Which really good SNES titles did I miss (except sports games)?

You missed Super Smash TV.

Haven’t played it in at least 12 years but right when Terra’s Theme started on FF3 I was instantly transported to being kid me again playing this. Fuck I love this game and this lil machine.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I know people are excited about adding more games, but even without any more, the Classic is amazing. Modern games can be amazing as well, but the SNES classic has like 10 of my 25 favorite games ever made in one spot with great QOL additions.

Yeah it really is a great collection. If it had Chrono trigger on it by default I honestly wouldn't be worrying about the hack stuff at all.

Dartastic

Any other suggestions?
God, yes.

Turtles in Time
Maximum Carnage
NBA Jam Tournament Edition
Mortal Kombat 2
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Aladdin
Final Fight
Final Fight 3
Castlevania: Dracula X
Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi

...there are way more.......

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I just received mine in the mail from a Walmart. Between HDMI to reduce input lag and exact replicas of the controllers, this thing is heaven.

dyreschlock

Here's my list of games I intend to add on my Mini:

Actraiser
Castlevania Dracula X
Chrono Trigger
Famicom Detective Club II (Jp w/ English Patch)
Final Fantasy - Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV (Jp w/ English Patch)
Final Fantasy V (Jp w/ English Patch)
Final Fantasy VI (Jp w/ English Patch)
Ganpuru - Gunman's Proof (Jp w/ English Patch)
Hourai Gakuen no Bouken (Jp w/ English Patch)
Illusion of Gaia
Live a Live (Jp w/ English Patch)
Marvelous (Jp w/ English Patch)
Ogre Battle
Picross NP Vol. 1-8 (Jp)
Pilotwings
Rudra no Hihou (Jp w/ English Patch)
Sanrio World Smashball (Jp)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Jp w/ English Patch)
Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka (Jp w/ English Patch) [Precursor to River City Ransom]
Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun (Jp w/ English Patch) [Sequel to River City Ransom]
Soul Blazer
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Tetris 3 (Jp)
Tactics Ogre (Jp w/ English Patch)
Terranigma (PAL)
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Tetris 2
Tetris Battle Gaiden (Jp)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Uniracers
Wild Guns
Wonder Project J (Jp w/ English Patch)
Wrecking Crew '98 (Jp w/ English Patch)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Plus, such rom hacks, if they work...
Mario Kart R
Super Metroid Redesign Axiel Edition
Oh no! More Zombies Ate My Neighbors
The Legend of Zelda Parallel Worlds Remodel
Super Boss Gaiden

Some Japanese games suggestions came from the other thread about exclusive games that never made it to western audiences.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441427

Dartastic

I'm wondering how adding stuff with english patches is going to work. I'd like to play Seiken Densetsu 3, but I have no idea how that'd work through this thing.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm wondering how adding stuff with english patches is going to work. I'd like to play Seiken Densetsu 3, but I have no idea how that'd work through this thing.
?

You modify the file to add the translation, load it into the system like all the other games, and play.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Secret of Mana's still no pushover. Got the latest gear and level ups? Baddies are still gonna make mince meat of ya. The games real cheap & unforgiving!

dyreschlock

English patches, and other patches, can be applied directly to the .smc or .sfc to create a new file with the patch already baked in. In theory, if you use that new file on the Mini, it will have all the changes included. I think this is how everything worked with the NES mini.

I did that with all the games on my list above, and ran them in an emulator to test and make sure they worked.

Dartastic

English patches, and other patches, can be applied directly to the .smc or .sfc to create a new file with the patch already baked in. In theory, if you use that new file on the Mini, it will have all the changes included. I think this is how everything worked with the NES mini.

I did that with all the games on my list above, and ran them in an emulator to test and make sure they worked.
Nice. I assume the tool will be able to do that. Thanks!

Anybody else think there is a little more throw on the face buttons on the new controllers compared to an original? Everything else is perfect, but I have an essentially brand new SNES controller that I got on eBay some ten odd years ago, and the face buttons are not nearly as clicky as they are on the CE controllers. And yes, original controllers did have that matte texture, front and back.

Neff

(my) essential list

- Actraiser
- Axelay
- Batman Returns
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Gradius III
- Hook
- Killer Instinct
- The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
- The Ninja Warriors
- Pilotwings
- Street Fighter II
- Super Street Fighter II
- Stunt Race FX
- Super Adventure Island
- Super Star Wars
- Super The Empire Strikes Back
- Super Return of the Jedi
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters
- Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose

I've played most of these games before, but on the Wii and Wii U

Playing with an actual SNES controller feels like I'm playing an entirely different game sometimes, compared to the Wii U pad or a GCN controller on the Wii. It turns out those controllers are kinda bad for SNES games.

I actually enjoyed my time with F-Zero, which is crazy, since I had it on the Wii and thought it was awful. Same with Super Mario Kart.

These games really need their original controller I guess.

I can't really play any more until I get an extension for the controllers, though. Playing on the floor like a kid doesn't work great for my adult back.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So what's everyone thinking of StarFox 2? Outside of a bit short I've already cleared it once and can definitely see it being infinitely replayable!

Novel concept, but not enough variety or engaging combat to pull me back for a second go. That and the performance problems.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
These games really need their original controller I guess.

I can't really play any more until I get an extension for the controllers, though. Playing on the floor like a kid doesn't work great for my adult back.

8bitdo makes great wireless controllers that feel and look almost identical.

For anyone with the 8bitdo controllers, can you use the rewind feature or do you still have to hit reset on the console? Sorry if already answered

Also anyone know if the 8bitdo controls come with the receivers? So far all I’ve seen is the new package coming out in December for 25$ that includes the receiver, or the receiver itself costs 17$ but won’t be in stock till November, or the current SCF30 that doesn’t come with a receiver, but is 35$ on amazon.

bubumiao

Treasure of the Rudras
Seiken Densetsu 3
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
TMNT IV: Turtles In Time
MightyMorphinPowerRangers: The Fighting Edition
Chrono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Bahamut Lagoon
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X-2
Mega Man X-3
Demon's Crest
ActRaiser
ActRaiser 2
Secret of Evermore
Dragon Quest I & II
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Castlevania: Dracula X
Soul Blazer
Terranigma
Saturday Night Slam Masters
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Super Street Fighter II
Shadowrun
X-Men: The Arcade Game
Maximum Carnage
Thunder Spirits
Space Megaforce

I'm probably missing a few I want, but those will be good for now. I've omitted listing the preloaded titles (plan to play them as well).

Man everyone with huge lists of games to add and all I really want is Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun, and I think Jurassic Park since it's one of those games I had as a kid that I was never really any good at and want to give another shot.

Yukinari

Really a shame thats it mathematically impossible to ever get Turtles in Time SNES re-released.

Not the arcade version and not the shitty Ubisoft remake. Same for Contra 1 NES. I dont want Super C.

Soooo I'm interested in adding more games eventually but I'm not familiar at all with how the modding process worked for the NES Classic. Is it looking to be the same here and if so, will it be difficult/dangerous to work with?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Soooo I'm interested in adding more games eventually but I'm not familiar at all with how the modding process worked for the NES Classic. Is it looking to be the same here and if so, will it be difficult/dangerous to work with?
Should be as easy as it was on the NES Mini. Just waiting on the program to be updated.

Although I can't remember if it ends up deleting all your current saves once you add the custom kernel.

I'll only add 9 games I think to get the Classic up to an even 30.

MegaMan X-2
MegaMan X-3
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Super Mario All Stars
Chrono Trigger
Tetris Attack
Tetris and Dr. Mario
Doom

Juraash

So is there any go to extension cables for the controllers? Been browsing Amazon for something I can get shipped fast with Prime, and I think every one I looked at had reviews saying they just straight up don't work.

Kirbys dreamland 3
Aladdin
Blackthorne
Star Ocean
Breath of Fire 3

Also final fantasy v is the one you need the language patch for, not iv.

I’m still annoyed that they put both Kirby Dream Course AND Kirby Super Star but not Kirby’s Dream Land 3. Why put two lesser games instead of the best SNES Kirby game on there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom