• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES mini teardown confirms recycled NES mini tech

zelas

Is this supposed to be surprising?

Did people think the NES Mini's hardware was exactly powerful enough to run NES games only, but nothing else, and required an upgrade to run SNES software...?
People expected this after NES teardowns. Its noteworthy now because of the higher price and less games.

Don't see why that's surprising that the SNES mini has similar innards to the NES mini. You can run these games on a toaster nowadays.

I thought this was a good thing? It's a potent enough device to handle whatever they throw at it. I wish it was a full on Nintendo VC device but I figured they wouldn't do that.

People expected this after NES teardowns. Its noteworthy now because of the higher price and less games.

2 controllers tho, ya?

Fiendcode

Let's no go crazy here. The hardware is equivalent to a 2013 smartphone. It can maybe go as far as N64 (and probably only early games like SM64, MK64, OoT, etc.), but a GC/Wii emulator is out of question. It has only 256MBs of RAM, for starters.
I'd assume it could handle anything on Wii VC, no?

30 NES games vs 21 SNES games might be a reduction in volume but it's an objective increase in value. It's $150 vs $168 in games going by established pricing elsewhere.

Robin64

I don't know if Nintendo's own emulator for N64 would be much better than fan stuff at this point... it certainly was true once upon a time, but I imagine homebrew has reached fairly optimised levels.

But anyway, N64 via homebrew on the NES Mini was pretty poor. Basic games like Mario 64 were okay, but some like Perfect Dark had no chance.

https://youtu.be/d1wXHumS1gw?t=4m56s

Fiendcode

I don't know if Nintendo's own emulator for N64 would be much better than fan stuff at this point... it certainly was true once upon a time, but I imagine homebrew has reached fairly optimised levels.

But anyway, N64 via homebrew on the NES Mini was pretty poor. Basic games like Mario 64 were okay, but some like Perfect Dark had no chance.

https://youtu.be/d1wXHumS1gw?t=4m56s
Homebrew N64 emulation on Wii and Wii U isn't on par with Nintendo's VC efforts. I'd expect it to be the same with the Classic mini architecture.

It's adding a second controller and they're probably using the pricing logic that SNES games are 'worth' more than NES ones, as evidenced by how they're priced on the VC. A N64 mini is likely to be even more expensive and have even less games ( like 15 games, two controllers for $99).

Fiendcode

It's adding a second controller and they're probably using the pricing logic that SNES games are 'worth' more than NES ones, as evidenced by how they're priced on the VC. A N64 mini is likely to be even more expensive and have even less games ( like 15 games, two controllers for $99).
I'm expecting the same price as SNES mini but only 10-12 games and one controller.

Gaogaogao

the controller is priceless tbh

we already knew that the original board was more than capable. this just makes it easier for them when they reissue the nes classic

I'm expecting the same price as SNES mini but only 10-12 games and one controller.

I'm thinking somewhere between both of y'all. $99, 10-12 games, and two controllers. It would have to have 4 controller ports though. 4 player gaming was such a big part of the N64 experience.

That's like arguing that you don't have to buy more than one cartridge because they're all the same except the software.

You don't need to buy the whole console when purchasing a new cartridge though.

Not outraged by that, but I wonder why Nintendo just released multiple mini consoles in different formats all accessing the same virtual console service where you could buy and download games from. Then make the same service available on switch and bring more content due to the bigger userbase.

Peltz

The power issue doesn't seem like a concern. What I'm more curious about is how they would run both NES and SNES games on the same type of hardware. I remember reading and interview from Eurogamer (I think?) where they spoke with a guy who made one of the most popular SNES emulators, and said that's it's very hard to do so, even with powerful PCs.

You're thinking of cycle-accurate emulation, which has never been Nintendo's goal. Remember, NES through N64 was emulated on the Wii which was less powerful than the SNES classic. This is more than enough power to get the games playable without noticeable issues for all but the most discerning retro gamers.

Not outraged by that, but I wonder why Nintendo just released multiple mini consoles in different formats all accessing the same virtual console service where you could buy and download games from. Then make the same service available on switch and bring more content due to the bigger userbase.

Probably because that's more expensive to do than just dumping roms in the hardware and calling it a day. They seem to view the Switch audience as different from the classic console audience and likely want to avoid any sales cannibalization.

Fiendcode

I'm thinking somewhere between both of y'all. $99, 10-12 games, and two controllers. It would have to have 4 controller ports though. 4 player gaming was such a big part of the N64 experience.
I could see this too. I also wonder if the NES Classic rerelease might be tweaked some (different/extra games, rewind feature, 2nd controller) and priced accordingly?

Fiendcode

Adding online (and the associated wifi hardware and extra storage needed) plus an eShop backend would totally change the dynamics of pricing these things though. I love the idea of a literal Virtual Console using classic mini casings, and better linking up with Switch VC, but that's just not what these are and I'm not sure it'd really be that lucrative a product for Nintendo.

robrueda

I think the N64 Classic would be $79.99 with just one controller and 10-15 games and one of the has to be Smashbros. I expect Extra N64 Classic controllers to be priced at $19.99 and to be sold in multiple colors. If Nintendo is smart enough (They have proved they are not) they would make de N64 Classic controller to be compatible with the original rumble pak and they should sell a new Classic Rumble pak for 19.99 as well.

Tons of people would get the N64 Console with 3 extra controles (for a 139.96 + TAX) to play 4 player SmashBros with Classic controllers on this hardware.

I think the N64 Classic would be $79.99 with just one controller and 10-15 games and one of the has to be Melee. I expect Extra N64 Classic controllers to be priced at $19.99 and to be sold in multiple colors. If Nintendo is smart enough (They have proved they are not) they would make de N64 Classic controller to be compatible with the original rumble pak and they should sell a new Classic Rumble pak for 19.99 as well.

Tons of people would get the N64 Console with 3 extra controles (for a 139.96 + TAX) to play 4 player Melee with Classic controllers on this hardware.

I think they would save that for the GCN Classic Edition

Let's no go crazy here. The hardware is equivalent to a 2013 smartphone. It can maybe go as far as N64 (and probably only early games like SM64, MK64, OoT, etc.), but a GC/Wii emulator is out of question. It has only 256MBs of RAM, for starters.
Hackers emulation is not the same as in house emulation (Especially for the guys of NERD), i remember when a lot of people said that the XBO was not capable of emulate X360 games... Also The GC has only 24MB of ram and the Wii 88MB (Both single core). I Think that the NES hardware is capable.

Hackers emulation is not the same as in house emulation (Especially for the guys of NERD), i remember when a lot of people said that the XBO was not capable of emulate X360 games... Also The GC has only 24MB of ram and the Wii 88MB (Both single core). I Think that the NES hardware is capable.

thats becuase "hackers" emulation generally try to emulate a console to the most accurate state they can, its a hardware preservation effort with the aim to eventually support and play every single game with the exact same behaviour as the original console.

whereas 360 emulation on xbo is a wrapper that has to be adapted on a per game basis to make a title playable, essentially a bit of a hack job. the two approaches are not remotely comparable.

hirokazu

Is it a higher price though? In Australia it's the same price as the NES Mini was if you bought the second controller.

Less games though, sure.

I'm not, I'm fully aware of why they did it: blatant greed. Why sell a fun functional and flexible product when you can artificially lock it and sell it two or three times over?

I'm suggesting it would have been a better, more respectable decision. I'm also fully aware they probably couldn't give two shits what I think.

They never did when I worked there, at least.

Are. You. Serious.

Ninja Turtles figures were all the same base body with different heads. Blatant greed, they artificially created new products to sell the same turtle four times over. When I bought Raphael they should have given me the other heads for free so I could swap them out. That would have been respectable.

So when you add a game to the NES mini (or SNES mini), is the game run on the emulation code that Nintendo produced? Or are the hackers supplying their own (worse) emulation?

So when you add a game to the NES mini (or SNES mini), is the game run on the emulation code that Nintendo produced? Or are the hackers supplying their own (worse) emulation?

it will run on nintendos emulation unless you load retroarch and run a game though a snes core. and btw dont for a second that homebrew emulators like snes9x or bsnes/higan are in any way worse, its quite the opposite.

I think the N64 Classic would be $79.99 with just one controller and 10-15 games and one of the has to be Melee. I expect Extra N64 Classic controllers to be priced at $19.99 and to be sold in multiple colors. If Nintendo is smart enough (They have proved they are not) they would make de N64 Classic controller to be compatible with the original rumble pak and they should sell a new Classic Rumble pak for 19.99 as well.

Tons of people would get the N64 Console with 3 extra controles (for a 139.96 + TAX) to play 4 player Melee with Classic controllers on this hardware.

Or they could just pack in 4 controllers, 15 games, $119 and call it a day. Maybe the 4 controllers is very wishful thinking, but I don't see them going through the effort of having to supply controllers separately, I just don't think they'd bother with that seeing as these items are going to be produced in certain quantities and at certain times of the year. And you know there's gonna be supply issues with the controllers, shortages with certain colors over others.....and just become another giant bitch-fest like with the NES and SNES mini releases. Quite obviously the market is prepared to pay over $100 so why not put out an all-in-one package( including 4 controllers) and be done with it? I expect the NES mini re-release to be bundled with 2 controllers, a few extra games and a small price hike. If people are prepared to fork over a couple hundred dollars for shitty think-geek bundles or vulture scalpers, then I fully support Nintendo adding a few extra things( wouldn't cost them much more to do), increase the perceptual value of the package and raise the price accordingly.

This is such a shitty thing to complain about. It only means that stock for these things going forward will be more abundant, if they’re using hardware that works across the board.

And yes, you’re paying for the games in between versions. Don’t like it? Don’t buy it, just means more for the people actually want the consoles.

Freddo

I'm not sure it's much of a RAM issue, but yeah. The CPU performance required to emulate the GC/Wii at full speed is a lot higher than what's needed to emulate the N64, which in turn is a noticeable step up from NES and SNES. No way this hardware will be able to do it. The graphic chip seem to be noticeably weaker than the Wii as well, how can the weaker chip emulate the faster one at full speed?

NES 30 games, $4.99*30 = $149.70 worth of VC titles, and the hardware to run it with 1 controller. $59.99.

SNES 21 games, $7.99*21 = $167.79 worth of VC titles, and the hardware to run it with 2 controllers. $79.99

Nintendo was charging $9.99 for a 2nd controller now included.

That means for $10 more, you get $18 more worth of content, and additionally the only way to legally purchase 1 of those 21 titles. It isn't quite the value of what was offered on the NES, but subjectively, the quality of the games included on the SNES are a step up.

I mean the worst title on the SNES is Super Punch-Out? Maybe Secret of Mana (which fans of the game will crucify me for saying) vs. stinkers like Kid Icarus (iconic but pretty terrible to play) and Balloon Fight.

Not to mention, Nintendo was dumb for limiting the NES, but if they wanna charge $10 extra on something that is nearly guaranteed to be a phenomenon, it is their right to grab an extra percentage from a resale market in which they see no gains.

It is still half-off the VC prices, and you get reasonably good hardware.

Megatron

How does this affect the n64 mini people are hoping for? Would that need new tech? If so, that may not be coming as soon as people think.

rrs

How does this affect the n64 mini people are hoping for? Would that need new tech? If so, that may not be coming as soon as people think.
I think Nintendo might upgrade hardware for it, or somehow make a good multithread N64 emulator.

Then again, Nintendo could get around this by pulling a Wii and only putting low power games on it, or use a board for a GameCube classic later

I mean the worst title on the SNES is Super Punch-Out?

This somehow seems blasphemous, but then I look at the other 20 games and it's like man, how do you pick out a 'worst' game on that list? Granted I've never played either of the Kirby games so I can't speak on them.

You are paying for the fact that it's an official nintendo snes product with snes games and two snes controllers, not because it's a NES mini with less games.

Somnid

Could do the Apple thing where you put a high end processor in box and charge $180 to play the same content as a $70 device with cheaper parts.

if a wii could manage n64 games on its vc then this hardware could do it too. however i think it lacking any real gpu grunt would make anything above native resolution impossible.

komplanen

Seems reasonable. This is better than one big "all-in-one" console that emulates roms. Now there's at least some authenticity from the looks and the fact that they're all separate consoles.

Top Bottom