• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 Review Thread

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sniper-ghost-warrior-3

COGconnected 7.5/10
The production value isn’t as high as I’d hoped, but the game knows what it is and every mechanic and feature works together in tandem. A supreme variety in level and mission design paired with thoughtful stealth gameplay makes this a strong entry into the shooter genre, even if the overarching narrative isn’t all that interesting.

Hobby Consolas 7/10
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 could have been a great war sandbox, in which you enjoy every step of your attacks: planning, studying your enemy and especially taking the shots. But it´s many technical failures spoil the experience.

Hardcore Gamer 5/10
For all the temporal distractions, the near-mandatory attitude and dictation its open-World formula ends up presenting may end up dealing a blow to Sniper Ghost Warrior 3‘s small and hidden joys of explorative distraction. But the heaviest of blows will no doubt come from its near-constant technical issues that are varied in scale but frustratingly, persistently present throughout.

Twinfinite 4/10
Granting players the freedom to decide how to take on missions and utilize the excellent sniping mechanic however they like is an idea that the Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 series required to improve on the underwhelming first two entries. However, since everything else, from the characters to the open world itself, lack polish, depth, and quality – on top of the game being riddled with technical problems – Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 is far more dull and frustrating than it is ever enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who's been playing it for the majority of the day, its definitely far better than last year's Homefront and im enjoying it more than I did Sniper Elite 4 in which I quit after two chapters. Definitely better than a 5/10 in my opinion and will probably hit at least a 7/10 for me personally which is "good" on my scale. I was expecting a poor man's Far Cry 3/4 and that's what I got which is fine by me.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
RG0BS1U.gif

Waiting for a deep-deep sale next year.

P.S. ACG review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uchb1_pETq4

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If there's one thing the Sniper GW series is good at, its being consistent in sucking.

Its still beyond me how it got past the first installment.

*EDIT* I had to change my post cause i accidentally typed Elite instead of ghost warrior, goodness no

E-flux

For anyone who has played it, how good is the AI on the hardest difficulty? I played the beta and would have liked if the AI wouldn't have been so brain dead on the normal difficulty.

Osahi

I fell trough the level 3 times in the first hour. Didn't happen anymore since the last patch, but I still had my gun clipping trough cover, enemies waltzing against a wall or just appearing, prompts to move a body not appearing, etc. It's not a complete mess anymore than pre-patch, but still quite a dull game

Isn't the whole point of this that you do very little actual sniping? Don't you just go Rambo through most of the levels? At least that's what I remember from the first one.

Twinsen343

These games look so good and it's exactly what I want but they're so bad when you play them hope this is different.

Vintage

Disappointing, I hoped third time they'll get it right.

PC beta had tons of technical issues, but it was 2 months ago, enough time to fix most of the stuff.

xRaizen

yeah i know that.

can you believe the first game sold over a million copies? I have no idea what it did to achieve that considering how many other worthy games get nowhere near
The first one came out during MW2's reign and everyone wanted to be an MLG quickscoper at the time

Isn't the whole point of this that you do very little actual sniping? Don't you just go Rambo through most of the levels? At least that's what I remember from the first one.

My review will be live soon. I found running and gunning to be practically useless as you don't have a ton of health really. It is a lot easier to scout out an area and pick out targets from afar.

Osahi

The run and gun part is a near impossible playstyle. You'll die very fast. Even for getting out of a pickle it's quite useless. This game is 90% tagging and picking enemies off (for me at least)

Tizoc

The run and gun part is a near impossible playstyle. You'll die very fast. Even for getting out of a pickle it's quite useless. This game is 90% tagging and picking enemies off (for me at least)

That sounds kinda cool to me, I mean you are a sniper after all, so deciding when and who to strike at is a proper approach for the theme of the game.

xrnzaaas

Shitty series continues to be shitty. Thankfully we have the Sniper Elite series which is superior in almost every way despite being an AA product.

DemWalls

yeah i know that.

can you believe the first game sold over a million copies? I have no idea what it did to achieve that considering how many other worthy games get nowhere near

Actually, the first one sold way more than that, at least 3 millions. The second one was definitely less successful, so I can see this third game be the end of the series if the trend continues.

Too bad that they never seem to be able to launch a product in good shape, usually there's a decent game beneath all the technical issues. I wonder if they'll ever learn.

Karak

Ya I can say that while this has never been the best series or even close, there are moments where I was like...ok this is cool right here or right there. And then suddenly I could climb a ladder forever or enemies stopped responding or something else

Wow, the console versions of this game sound completely fucked.

Been playing for 5 hours on PC, and the experience has been fine. I have ran into a couple snags with the sound, but the actual game runs pretty good.

Jackpot

Banned
Have to say, on PC the game is fine. Loads as fast as Infinite Warfare (GTX 770).

Nice narrative. Good introductory mission. Terrible voice acting. Only bug I've encountered so far is the raining indoors one.

Tizoc

Been playing it on my GTX 970M-
Shadows at Low, Shaders at Medium, with everything else at High.
I'm getting 40-60 FPS average. The loading times are indeed arse, I really need to stop doing side missions since if I die I gotta wait for an irritating loading time of around 15ish seconds or some shit.

I am overall enjoying it but it does feel like a stealth game XD Least the headshotting is fun.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My review.....

Well.....literally just finished SGW3 a few minutes ago. 98% overall completion. Long story short, if you know what to expect, you'll probably enjoy this game but if you're expecting a lot, you probably won't enjoy this game.

Story and characters weren't bad but the execution and ending were. Seriously, unless you're near the end, you're not missing much. Wasted potential on a few characters, a decent swerve that was also wasted in the last few missions.

Haven't decided on a final rating but if I decide to give it a 7/10, it should be considered very lucky but to be honest, im probably going lower. So much wasted potential.

Missions were for the most part good as were the objectives but the game reuses the same areas for a lot of these missions, side ops and the wanted criminals which is a shame because there's a good amount of areas in the game that aren't really used in any of these areas which is disappointing to say the least.

Played on hard mode. 67 hours with 98% completion. Scout Mode Enemy highlight was set to NO. Aim assist was also set to NO. Extended enemy tagging options was set to YES. Bullet camera was set to NO for the entire game.

World is literally dead even in the small town areas. Limited to one car and the buggy if you have the season pass. Literally no life at all in the game. Probably saw more wolves and dears than actual NPC's. Three maps wasn't needed at all. One, maybe two would have been good enough. Mainly because like I said, you never go to several areas so it's like, what's the point in them existing?

Visually, the world itself looks good in 4K/HDR. I can't complain about that. Character models leave a little to be desired but the facial animations were still better than MEA at launch in my opinion based on what I have seen from that game. Music was okay at best mainly because there wasn't a lot of it. Here and there during missions and it was pretty much the same or similar throughout. The sound effects were good and the voice acting was passable at best but not horrible or anything.

Gameplay wise...sniping is excellent. Stealth is solid. General gunplay though not so much. Just too loose and not good compared to other FPS. Basically, it's serviceable.

Now the bugs/glitches/etc.

- Fell through the world twice while jumping off a ladder (amazingly, you can't step off the ladder as you literally have to jump off despite being on the bottom step...I avoided this for the most part by just falling from the top to the bottom as opposed to climbing up or down...most part, didn't even take any damage).
- Game froze on me three times.
- Had one system error while playing.
- Completed one mission by going out of the exfiltration area to watch me blowing something up but because I was outside the area, once I did that and completed the mission, it didn't register so I had to replay the mission.
- Played for an hour or so with no tires on the car you use to drive around. Literally no tires. Reloading solved the issue.
- Had a glitch with the assault rifle secondary weapon where at times, pressing the square button or any button for that matter while having this weapon as the main weapon in use didn't work. I had to change weapons. After a few minutes of doing various nonsense, this somehow reset and fixed itself but it happened at least twice from what I can remember.
- During one later mission that had buddies on your team, I was advancing, died and restarted from checkpoint. The buddies were literally a few feet in front of the enemies and weren't seen.
- Enemies appear/disappear based on how far away you are. While some will say 250m is the minimum, I literally walked around a base with no enemies despite it being a mission. I had to restart the game and the mission.
- Map has problems...outposts will appear and disappear depending on if you did them or not but if you go back to that area, they respawn which honestly, I hate. Once an outpost is cleared, it should be done.
- Also on the map, you can see the collectable locations but only when you're in one of the other maps. For example, if im in the Dam map, I can see the collectables for the Mining Town map but when I go to the Mining Town map, they disappear.
- Killed a few enemies with stealth kills yet I would be knifing air as the enemy would disappear behind me or whatnot dead. In fairness, I have seen this bug in other games including Far Cry.
- Initial map loading is long. On the Samsung EVO 850 SSD, this load took about 2 1/2 minutes. Once the map is loaded, dying and restarting from checkpoints and fast travel were super quick. On the base HDD, I have read reviews that said the initial map load takes about five minutes.

Can't remember anything else off the top of my head. Oh crap. Just came to me. HORRIBLE Escape of Lydia DLC. Mentioned this in an earlier post. It's only two missions which are basically linear cut off maps of the main game. Think Sniper Elite 4 but smaller.

Can definitely see why the game received low to bad ratings but in fairness, I did enjoy the game for the most part. Hell, if I didn't, I wouldn't have played and completed 98% of it in 67 hours. After typing all of that, I can't and won't give this game a 7/10. Overall, a 6 or maybe 6.5/10. Haven't decided yet. Will be in the 6 range though which on my scale is an "above average" (7/10 is "good" on my scale) game. I can say however that this game craps all over Homefront: The Revolution (I quit after ten or so hours) in pretty much every way and that unlike that game, SGW3 did in fact give me my Far Cry type game fix and I should be good until the eventual FAR CRY 5.

Top Bottom