• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 takes a while to load

UCBooties

Previews for the game looked extremely undercooked and I've never heard anything good about prior entries in the series.

Is there any reason to get this at all?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Lego City Undercover: Yeah, even in my remastered version, load times are so long. Quite baffling, if I may say so myself. Honestly, I can't see anybody doing such a bad job with initial loadings, especially if compared with my original version. Come on now, it's impossible.
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3: hold mah beer n watch, muthafucka

I was checking out the beta and preview copy. Not really sure about this title, but when it works well it is fun. But yeah, it does have some issues with loading. Haven't checked out the review copy yet and probably won't.

foxdvd

I am an idiot when it comes to programming.. can someone explain why some games take so long to load?

It's a rather long load that sucks ass but after that, its pretty much regular load times on fast travel and death/respawn in an open world map. Its like they load all data at once upon starting or something. I almost thought the game frooze during loading.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Received the game this morning via UPS via Best Buy.

Can't redeem the season pass or weapon skin yet. I'm assuming this is because the game isn't officially released yet even though I have seen this content in walkthroughs on youtube.

Sucks because I want to know if The Escape of Lydia DLC should be played before or after the main story. I'm thinking before but im not 100% sure.

As for the loading, it's for the initial loading of the game. Unless you die or fast travel, you won't see another loading screen and in those cases, nowhere near as long as the initial load. I'm seeing this as a poor man's Far Cry 3/4 which is perfect for me.

Does anyone know when the review embargo lifts for the game?

Osahi

There have been 3 patches allready, load times are still the same.

EDIT: but as some stated before, it's a one and done deal.

The Beta was rough and after playing the full game for the past day, the final game isn't much better. Xbox One version is a complete mess from a technical standpoint. Gameplay isn't anything to write home about. Graphically, it's about on par with Homefront: The Revolution on consoles but with sketchy performance and horrendous load times that would make the launch version of Homefront blush.

I can't imagine this will stay at $60 for long, I'd say go ahead and wait for a bargain bin-level price drop or some significant updates.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LOL at the Gone Home speedruns.

Is the framerate still atrocious? I remember seeing a demo a while back that ran in the teens the whole time. I couldn't believe it was an official showing of the game.

Wait.. what happened? Was gonna buy on X1.

Edit: Looking above... maybe I wait on this one.

They announced the free season pass with preorder for PC and PS4. Not on Xbox one though which was a mind bogglingly stupid decision of them. Xbox gets in now too over backlash, but it soured a lot of people on the game including myself.

kulapik

And people wonder why this franchise has such a terrible reputation.

Also the reply from the devs in the comments is an absolute joke:
We are aware of the problem with long initial loading times, but thanks to this decision we were able to shorten any loading times during missions, respawns, and fast travel to a minimum.

- fast travel 4-15s
- load last checkpoint(depend on situation) 15-30s
- Restart mission 25s

Ultimately we feel like this inconvenience is rewarded with a comfortable experience once the game is loaded.

Okay, fuck these developers. First the season pass joke, then not answering questions about the season pass prior to release I had (which I asked multiple times in a thread where a dev was answering people) and now them telling us to suck up long load times because they can't be assed to fix their shit?

Not even gonna buy on sale or another game from these hacks.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The FPS is said to be a locked 30FPS which for an open world game, is fine by me. The season pass not being available on Xbox One was in my opinion more of a publicity and marketing stunt. And whether or not you like it, im going to assume that it worked because it had/has a lot of people talking about the game when that happened.

As for the Homefront comparison, I did see a few problems in the walkthroughs but it was before the current 1.03 patch and even then, I still think that Homefront was worse. I played Homefront for around 10 hours or so, starting over a few times trying to get into it but the constant pausing/freezing while playing/shooting/whatever was just too much.

Outside of one instance, I haven't see this happen in SGW3 and someone who's been playing over the weekend on PS4 hasn't come across the issue at all in several hours in.

Oh well, time to play and see how the game is.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I actually like that idea of loading the entire game in five minutes and then having 10-30 second load times when fast traveling or when you die. One long load in the beginning is better in my opinion as opposed to having say a minute or more every time you fast travel, die or reload a checkpoint, etc.

dacuk

I love the Sniper Elite series and I am not too fond of FPS'es.... should I try Sniper: Ghost Warrior?

I actually like that idea of loading the entire game in five minutes and then having 10-30 second load times when fast traveling or when you die. One long load in the beginning is better in my opinion as opposed to having say a minute or more every time you fast travel, die or reload a checkpoint, etc.

Or you hire people who know how to optimise their game. Sorry, but anything above a constant 30+ second wait for load times is abysmal. With today's technology, there're developers with open world games that don't even have a single load screen after an initial boot up time.

Tesser

The loading times are the least of the game's problems. I don't know how many sites in general have an official review ready but you'll likely find out why in around 5 hours 10 minutes time.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The loading times are the least of the game's problems. I don't know how many sites in general have an official review ready but you'll likely find out why in around 5 hours 10 minutes time.

The Sniper Ghost Warrior games I've generally found fun despite their issues so I can fair well believe this has a load of issues too. It's not going to shock me in the slightest but I'm sure I'll have fun with this one too when I pick it up, I enjoyed the beta level. The Sniper Elite games I consider legit good games, these I just find fun to mess about in with their jankiness.

benzopil

Tagyhag

And people wonder why this franchise has such a terrible reputation.

Lol those other times aren't even good either.

I want to see how this loads on a PC with an SSD. Probably 6 minutes somehow.

Vintage

PC beta was loading pretty quick on ssd and fast travel was literally instant. Surprising it's like this on PS4.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

image.php

Top Bottom