• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy [OT] *Ahem*, Boobs

I wish the money spent developing this was spent on the King of Fighters Destiny web series. This game will do poorly in the West.
The-King-of-Fighters-Destiny-episode-14-1024x512.jpg

Last edited:
Where are people getting that Thief Arthur will be paid?

Nowhere has been stated about it. And NISA has consistently called it "Add-on"

CatCouch

Dragon Quest has been taking up most my time but I did get some time in on Heroines and enjoyed what I played! So many negative Nancy's, enjoy the game for what it is, it doesn't need to unseat games at EVO to be good~

Kaito Soranaka, Director: “We decided it with internal discussion among the staff. Regarding the rule of thumb for the choices, characters were picked based on popularity, characters that SNK want to push going forward, and characters that fans would be surprised by. Of course, there are many other appealing heroines as well, so don’t think that they aren’t popular just because they didn’t get in this time.”
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/0...why-tag-battles-and-more/#zkKJIV7cexev23ub.99
I think this is the first time I've seen a fighting game developer openly admit they just throw in the characters they want us to like regardless if anyone actually does. I guess that's better than pretending your popularity were anything more than a waste of every ones time.

MayauMiao

So Critical Hit gave it a 3.5/10, not sure if reviewer hate the fanservice has anything to do with the score:

"SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy might rightly draw ire for its overt, unnecessary sexualisation of fighting games’ femme fatales, but its problems extend further than social problems. It's anaemic in content and the fighting itself lacks any real depth."

https://www.criticalhit.net/review/snk-heroines-tag-team-frenzy/

Ulysses 31

So Critical Hit gave it a 3.5/10, not sure if reviewer hate the fanservice has anything to do with the score:

"SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy might rightly draw ire for its overt, unnecessary sexualisation of fighting games’ femme fatales, but its problems extend further than social problems. It's anaemic in content and the fighting itself lacks any real depth."

https://www.criticalhit.net/review/snk-heroines-tag-team-frenzy/
Well the reviewer calls it a problem and usually those dock points in reviews. >.>

MayauMiao

If you buy this game, you're a conservative!

There may or may not be people questioning the game’s overt sexualising of women with obvious comparisons to Dead or Alive’s Xtreme spinoffs. There may also be people who’ll buy this game to get their anime tiddies to own the libs – and that’s fine.

They’re welcome to waste their money.

McCheese

How does the game compare to kof14 depth wise? It looks like it plays very similar.

It plays very different. It's designed to be easier to pick-up but still have enough depth for tournament play.
  • No crouching, at all.
  • Block button similar to Mortal Kombat, so no holding backwards. This is even weirder when you consider it doesn't have the crouching and standing levels; instead you have to use guard breaks to get past folks just holding it down the whole time.
  • Health starts at 50% and you pick up items to raise it. Rustles my OCD jimmies!
  • To win a match you have to do a special attack when their health is zero, sort of like Mortal Kombat but your opponent can continue to fight back until you manage to pull it off and win the round.
  • Then finally specials are done by hitting a button and a direction similar to Smash Bros, so no QCF etc.
So despite looking like KOF, it plays nothing like it. I've heard it described almost as a 'party game' similar to Smash, rather than a traditional 2.5D fighter. Personally I think it's a good change of pace, and it's nice to see a game switch up the formula so much. The only change I dislike completely is the finishing move stuff, wish their was an option just to have them KO on zero health. The rest I can get used to.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like you beat the shit outta the AI and then magically they get good items and get a second wind

Final boss gets all the items even if you own his ass hard 2

Isa

Thanks for the impressions. I'll probably snag this one on a discount, the price is just a bit too high for me right now with other titles coming out.

Fuz

Banned
  • No crouching, at all.
  • Block button similar to Mortal Kombat, so no holding backwards. This is even weirder when you consider it doesn't have the crouching and standing levels; instead you have to use guard breaks to get past folks just holding it down the whole time.

Dislike.

Last edited:
It plays very different. It's designed to be easier to pick-up but still have enough depth for tournament play.
  • No crouching, at all.
  • Health starts at 50% and you pick up items to raise it. Rustles my OCD jimmies!
  • To win a match you have to do a special attack when their health is zero, sort of like Mortal Kombat but your opponent can continue to fight back until you manage to pull it off and win the round.
  • Then finally specials are done by hitting a button and a direction similar to Smash Bros, so no QCF etc.
So despite looking like KOF, it plays nothing like it. I've heard it described almost as a 'party game' similar to Smash, rather than a traditional 2.5D fighter. Personally I think it's a good change of pace, and it's nice to see a game switch up the formula so much. The only change I dislike completely is the finishing move stuff, wish their was an option just to have them KO on zero health. The rest I can get used to.

Thanks for the detailed write up. No crouching and a block button? Um, I hate block buttons, but I still might try it out eventually. The finishing move stuff might get annoying also.

dottme

• No crouching, at all.
This is looking interested. It might be targeted for the non-hardcore fight crowd like me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They're playing this on Max's stream and it's really a crazy mix. You have breakable shield block on button with roll out/roll through, directional specials on a stick, and items like in Smash. Tag team, very active meter management, zoning and supers like Marvel. Then you have the very unique component of the whole merged lifebar/special bar thing, and the win condition seems to work to ensure you win by really besting your opponent not lame chip damage tactics. It's far more interesting than I expected it to be.

Last edited:

Pejo

So a PC version is pretty much inevitable, right? It looks fun, but I'm really trying to prevent buying any more multiplats on Console for collection/ease of access' sake.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
If you are ok-ish at it you can beat the game in like an hour (story mode) with different/all pairs of characters.

I seriously only bought this for Shermie cause they killed her like 10+years ago for being too thicc.

kunonabi

Nah, Sylvie aced it with her costumes. Most of the costumes in the game are actually pretty good since you can take off most of the dorky accessories they come with.

http://nisamerica.com/blog/snk-hero...thief-arthur-dlc-arcade-stick-support-updates

Download the v1.10 patch to access the Arcade Stick Support and the locked data for the Thief Arthur DLC. In order to unlock the additional character, you will need to purchase and download the DLC from the online store (i.e. PlayStation™Store or Nintendo eShop).

Thief Arthur will be available for 4.99 US/EUR, while the Arcade Stick Support Patch v1.10 will be available for free.

We apologize for the delay in release of these two additions and look forward to having these updates available for you to enjoy within SNK HEROINES Tag Team Frenzy soon!

Bummer.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Couldn’t help but laugh listening to the latest Giant Bombcast when someone inadvertently brought this game up.

Apparently “we didn’t talk about that game” and “it was intentional”.

Lol. Fast becoming the Giant Snowflakecast.

Mecha Meow

Couldn’t help but laugh listening to the latest Giant Bombcast when someone inadvertently brought this game up.

Apparently “we didn’t talk about that game” and “it was intentional”.

Lol. Fast becoming the Giant Snowflakecast.

Jesus, this shit is a parody and them some anymore. I can't wait until this retarded phases passes us by eventually.

McCheese

Oh wow so they confirmed the character is paid for? The game is so anaemic on content that's a slap in the face.

Wish they met on the middle ground and had the new characters for free with one costume, then the additional costumes are paid dlc.

McCheese

It's a bespoke game engine, I suspect they just haven't had time to optimise it for the Switch.

It's worth noting that despite KOF looking rather shitty, it had some nasty frame-rate issues too in the preview builds; so I guess there is a valid concern that the engine itself is just slow and poorly built, in which case it might not be fixable on the switch without a ground-up rewrite.

Ulysses 31

Oh wow so they confirmed the character is paid for? The game is so anaemic on content that's a slap in the face.

Wish they met on the middle ground and had the new characters for free with one costume, then the additional costumes are paid dlc.
In your opinion what else does the game need other than a bigger roster to be worth the money?

Last edited:

McCheese

In your opinion what else does the game need other than a bigger roster to be worth the money?

Well, the game is pretty well padded out in most other aspects. The photo mode is surprisingly good and it has the usual game-modes you would expect from a fighter.

But the roster is just way too small, given that you don't even need to learn any specials for the characters you can get a feel for each of them and learn some basic combo's in a few hours. You could argue that the longevity comes from multiplayer mode, but it's taking so long to find a game already that I suspect other players felt the same way. Once you've unlocked the cosmetics for the few fighters that are here, there is very little to come back for.

kunonabi

It's a shame that the game is receiving such a prudish backlash. On the lewdness scale it's like a 2 at most and the game actually does a really good job of fleshing out the characters and letting their personalities and relationship dynamics shine. The newcomers are way more endearing and interesting thanks to this game.

Last edited:
I really dug this games arcade mode (even if SNK call there arcade modes story mode now just because). This game is why I always prefer really good arcade modes to this cinematic story mode shit. The fact all characters have there own interactions with each other, and have a back and forth with the boss, is for more fun than story modes where a majority of the cast will get screwed and/or only interact with a handful of characters (in Tekken 7's case, only 1 character, in DOA5's case 0 characters). I find the approach to cinematic story modes kind of contradicting to the second main point of a fighting game, the characters themselves. It's why Tekken 7's story mode was so hated, it's just about a handful of characters, yet in Tekken the main characters aren't the most popular so no one cared.

Ulysses 31

CatCouch

It's a shame that the game is receiving such a prudish backlash. On the lewdness scale it's like a at most and the game actually does a really good job of fleshing out the characters and letting their personalities and relationship dynamics shine. The newcomers are way more endearing and interesting thanks to this game.
I looked over the reviews on Metacritic and some were just sad. This trend of shaming games for sexual content or even just fan service has really damaged reviews as a whole for me. Ever since Polygon gave Bayonetta 2 a 7.5 while going on and on about how offensive it was I just lost faith. The second I see words like "creepy" pop up in a review I tend to cut that whole site out of my reading list. I don't have a lot of sites left to read...

I bet it's going to happen with SoulCalibur VI, too.

I looked over the reviews on Metacritic and some were just sad. This trend of shaming games for sexual content or even just fan service has really damaged reviews as a whole for me. Ever since Polygon gave Bayonetta 2 a 7.5 while going on and on about how offensive it was I just lost faith. The second I see words like "creepy" pop up in a review I tend to cut that whole site out of my reading list. I don't have a lot of sites left to read...

I bet it's going to happen with SoulCalibur VI, too.

That’s one of the reasons I don’t even read or care about reviews anymore. They care more about politics and crap like that than actual gameplay and fun. It’s unfair to the game and the developers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom