• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK: New project(s) underway (not King of Fighters)

mollipen

I'd like to think I want a new SamSho, but I don't know that I do. The series was basically the first drop on a roller coaster post-SS2, so I feel like there's a lack of understanding on what the series needs to be. Maybe if it is a clean slate reboot it'll work, but I worry. Same with Last Blade. I also hugely worry about the visual style of such games if they're done.

Even though I'm not the biggest MOTW fan, I'd love to see us finally get a sequel, if for no other reason than for me to get the older Mary I was promised so long ago.

I'd love to see them go daring and work on stuff that might not make sense, like a new Ikari Warriors, Crystalis, Shock Troopers, Magician Lord, etc.

I don't know if I could ever accept a new Metal Slug that wasn't sprite-based.

sibarraz

Banned
What a time to be alive! It's so nice to see them so enthusiastic and passionate! While I know asking for a new fighter with KoF XIII level graphics is a pipe dream but if they can find a way to make a new 2D sprite game would be sweet (like say finish Garou 2 or make some bright and colorful Shantae-inspired Athena platformer) but with that said, I don't mind them seeing more 3D games especially to refine their skills and bring it up to par with other companies.

Can I just use this SNK thread to say that I get such a kick out of your avatar

hahaha, it's awesome, lately I have seen lots of great artworks combining kyo and iori with cartoons

Hyun Sai

I don't know. I never liked the games of the franchise after the second opus, and when I think of it, I prefered the wild crazyness of the first one. Never again a game made those weapons feel so powerful and lethal. Sam 2 was very good, but more "tame" in that regard.

Yuritchi

Neo Member
While the original Art of Fighting titles may not be the most well aged games, I really want Yasuyuki Oda to tackle the series again. After what he said in a 4Gamer interview.

- Oda keeps getting told by fans everywhere for a MOTW sequel so he feels obligated to make it one day. (Note: 4gamer has a photo of characters that were designed for the original Neo Geo). In addition, he also wants to make a new AOF since the series never got far enough to find its answer as a fighting game. He also wants to make an Athena and Metal Slug.

Source: http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10196.html
I'm really interested in what they would do with it.

Raitaro

Great news; I hope they succeed and that they'll manage to bring back (lesser known and famous) fan favorite series like Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, Ikari Warriors, Samurai Shodown and Last Blade.

A Crystalis sequel would be fantastic as well.

Garou 2, with sprites, a dream come true.

Rymuth

I was going to make about how they should do survival horror but then I remembered they kinda did that with Athena.

latest

Wouldn't mind SNK exploring the KOF universe through other genres

It's obviously going to be a new Card Fighters game.

And please out source Metal Slug to a developer that knows what makes the series so special... 6 and beyond were absolutely horrendous.

What? MS4 was terrible and while I enjoy MS5 more than most, MS6 was very much the revival. MSXX is my second or third favorite game in the series.

I want a KoF RPG but that would probably sell terribly. To this day one of the strongest reasons I have for learning the Japanese language is to be able to play that Samurai Shodown RPG because no one seems to be interested in translating it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I want a new SNK all stars card game.
This time on PS4 or PC :3

And of course a 2D Garou 2.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
No KXIV for XBOX? How sad.

Heh, I see the edit ;-) But they're still supporting through back-compat at the moment, and some of their arcade games should make it through the shifting of Arcade Archives from M2 making it to the platform too.

Considering the amount of free or inexpensive content and stuff they're putting into their 1 big release atm... I can't fault them for focusing on one platform for now.

I do hope X1 isn't left out of new game plans for long, as I still prefer to play on the system.

Heh, I see the edit ;-) But they're still supporting through back-compat at the moment, and some of their arcade games should make it through the shifting of Arcade Archives from M2 making it to the platform too.

Considering the amount of free or inexpensive content and stuff they're putting into their 1 big release atm... I can't fault them for focusing on one platform for now.

I do hope X1 isn't left out of new game plans for long, as I still prefer to play on the system.

Unfortunately I very much doubt they'll be seeing much on Xbox one. They're already blasted out by Sony, Aksys said that the sales are almost entirely on PS4 compared to Xbox one for their Blazblue, they passed on Guilty Gear Xrd completely for Xbone. With Capcom's SFV being console exclusive to PS4, and Japanese games doing almost all their business on PS4, I don't see too many other Japanese fighters on Xbone.

Didn't sony help pay for KOF 14 too? You know, they supplied tacos and cans of rockstar and I believe bus tickets which is roughly the entire advertising budget of KOF 13. So they gave SNK more money than they knew what to do with. Fifty dollars I'm assuming.

Kind of sounds like a reversal this gen. SNK focused more on 360 last gen when they were roughly tied. SNK is probably just focusing on PS4 right now that they're the undisputed victor.

Bring back Battle Fantasia!

Relique

As much as it hurts to say this as a huge SNK fighting game fan, I hope their next big game isn't a fighter. These games just aren't selling right now and you can only go so far based on nostalgia. The only way I see a fighter doing really really well if if they go low budget and sell a game for 20 dollars to lure the casuals in. Those garou 2 sprites that they showed for example, if they reuse those and come out with a cheap 20 dollar sequel it can potentially do really well. I hope they come out with something to appeal to the mass audiences more, an RPG or a character action game could be the answer.

With all this being said I am sorta glad this new project is a mobile game even though I'll probably never play it. It's just what these companies have to do to survive nowadays and I'd rather them do that and stay alive than completely disappear from the console space after a couple of under performing fighting games.

I know this sounds really pessimistic but I am actually hoping for the best, I'll support their next title whatever they decide to make.

As much as it hurts to say this as a huge SNK fighting game fan, I hope their next big game isn't a fighter. These games just aren't selling right now and you can only go so far based on nostalgia. The only way I see a fighter doing really really well if if they go low budget and sell a game for 20 dollars to lure the casuals in. Those garou 2 sprites that they showed for example, if they reuse those and come out with a cheap 20 dollar sequel it can potentially do really well. I hope they come out with something to appeal to the mass audiences more, an RPG or a character action game could be the answer.

With all this being said I am sorta glad this new project is a mobile game even though I'll probably never play it. It's just what these companies have to do to survive nowadays and I'd rather them do that and stay alive than completely disappear from the console space after a couple of under performing fighting games.

I know this sounds really pessimistic but I am actually hoping for the best, I'll support their next title whatever they decide to make.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know. They may go back to those japanese ANIME games and make more dating simulators or card battle games which probably sell more but aren't what SNK really is. But then again, if they make a stable of models for their fighters, they can churn em out at a nice clip.

Bring Cool Cool Sexy jamz back.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They've been doing good on the mobile space it seems, and it seems like a low-start, high-return way to start an IP. I'd actually love for them to expand such games into consoles eventually, too.

Unfortunately I very much doubt they'll be seeing much on Xbox one. They're already blasted out by Sony, Aksys said that the sales are almost entirely on PS4 compared to Xbox one for their Blazblue, they passed on Guilty Gear Xrd completely for Xbone. With Capcom's SFV being console exclusive to PS4, and Japanese games doing almost all their business on PS4, I don't see too many other Japanese fighters on Xbone.

Bring back Battle Fantasia!

Yeah, but even with Sony being kinda "eh" for them last gen, they still saw fit to get the NeoGeo Station stuff on them, while XBLA had it's own exclusive stuff too. I think they're good at managing back-catalogue stuff through other dev channels, putting larger-market stuff on as much as they can afford to, and overall trying to have some form of presence on everything, which I quite like.

There's loads of late stuff coming to XB1 now, (Axiom Verge, Octodad, etc) that was PS4 exclusive for some time. Given the choice, I'll appreciate any later ports they may release, if given a choice. Even though I have a PS4, it's more out of necessity, rather than preference.

As much as it hurts to say this as a huge SNK fighting game fan, I hope their next big game isn't a fighter. These games just aren't selling right now and you can only go so far based on nostalgia. The only way I see a fighter doing really really well if if they go low budget and sell a game for 20 dollars to lure the casuals in.

It's less "I hope it's not a fighter because they don't sell" for me, and more "I want to see them bring the SNK touch to other genres again!". Capcom doesn't Survive by SF alone, but by RE, Dragon's Dogma, movie and comic deals, and Monster Hunter, for example.

I really wish they'd have a line of original products like the Wild Guns Remastered release that just happened. There's so few JP developers giving us honest-to-goodness 90s arcade level games right now, especially consistently.

I get what you're saying, but I don't know. They may go back to those japanese ANIME games and make more dating simulators or card battle games which probably sell more but aren't what SNK really is. But then again, if they make a stable of models for their fighters, they can churn em out at a nice clip.

Bring Cool Cool Sexy jamz back.

At it's core, I view SNK as a company that makes compelling characters and universes in whatever genres they like. The thing they've most been missing is doing exactly that; They've only made fighters and mobiles that re-use a lot of assets.

I'd love to see them make some games in genres that are no-longer as well served as they used to be. Puzzle games like Puyo, or Magical Drop, Dance Games like Bust-A-Move, or something that defines straight genres, like Half-Minute Hero or Trap Gunner.

Still getting used to seeing the SNK logo with no Playmore in sight

It's like a time warp or something!

Why do they keep making dudes with fiery fists?

Crossover / Cross Promotion potential is strong, fits the taste of their artist and creators?

Top Bottom