• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK reveals Samurai Shodown already profitable, Neo Geo 2 & 3

Nymphae

Banned
The company recently held their 2019 SNK investors meeting in Seoul, South Korea where they revealed interesting facts about their upcoming fighting games like Samurai Shodown and King of Fighters 15 while also taking the time to announce plans for new console platforms in the Neo Geo 2 and Neo Geo 3.

Although it is not scheduled to release until the end of June, Samurai Shodown has reportedly already become profitable for SNK through strong pre-orders of the title alone which is a good sign for everyone involved and looking forward to the title.

Great to hear, I don't have a preorder yet but I will likely do so this month.

Following the success of the Neo Geo Mini, SNK is working on two new platforms in the Neo Geo 2 and the Neo Geo 3 which are said to not be a direct successor to the Mini. They will reportedly be "semi-open platforms" that will include built in games with the capability to purchase new titles as well.

That sounds interesting, going to keep my eye on those.

Also a note about KOF 15

The King of Fighters 15, which was revealed to be in development last December, will reportedly run on the Unreal 4 engine like Samurai Shodown instead of the in-house engine SNK developed for King of Fighters 14.

Sounds like no return to sprites :messenger_frowning_

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I think you and I need to let it go and just appreciate what a masterpiece of sprites was KOF 13. Seems like no one will ever be willing to top that anymore.

I will never let it go! lol

Idk, I feel like if they could make it happen to the degree they did in the 90's, someone should be able to put out a sprite based game again. I don't need a MvC2 sized roster, but maybe something like a Last Blade 3 could make huge waves in the FGC. Or maybe a new Street Fighter Alpha game. My dream of all dreams would be a sprite based CvS3, but I know that will never happen :messenger_frowning_

K1Expwy

It looks like the 2d sprite era for fighting games is dead for good, unfortunately. Every major dev dropped sprites for 3d models. Other than Million Arthur and whether French Bread makes another game with new sprites. Indie poverty titles will probably focus on "old school" sprite work in its absence.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I believe it's incorrect to state the forthcoming Samurai Shodown fighting game is already profitable.

The various outlets making this claim, including the one from the OP, all source an article from Ruliweb (link), covering SNK's investor relations presentation from April. while I can't profess to understand the Korean language, Google's translation of the article would suggest a question was asked on why the company's net profits rose; the answer is due to the performance of Samurai Shodown M (a mobile title) and mobile titles for KOF and Metal Slug. The respondent, a VP at SNK, additionally suggested they expect net profits to further increase, once the new Samurai Shodown fighting game is released.

Also worth taking into consideration, SNK's presentation was on April 16. Even today, Japan seems to be the only place, where people can legitimately pre-order Samurai Shodown, which only went live around April 4. Not that SNK couldn't have been taking retail orders, but it's unlikely the company would have taken enough orders at that point to announce the game itself was already profitable.

Last edited:
This isn't really surprising, SNK has been surviving off time consuming, but lower budget games that always reach profit after a certain amount of sales. This is why they can continue to have games sell less than 400k copies and nearly no million sellers and still last as long as they have. Other than the time they went bankrupt, split to form a new company, than brought the brand name back.

However, I expect their finally realizing they need to move to 3D/2.5D in some areas to stay relevant these days, so I expect higher budgets.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That SNK Heroines number of 300k makes DOA6's performance look even worse than it already does. That shit flopped harder than a dick during naked jumping jacks.

Top Bottom