• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So 1080p Owners, what are your thoughts on the PRO?

Freeman76

I've spent all day umming and aaaring about this, as a 1080p owner just not sure if it is something I want to invest in, going against my usual day one tech addiction!

Wondered what your thoughts are as hardcore gaming enthusiasts, as it is so difficult to see the benefits from youtube vids etc?

As someone who has a 1080p TV and isn't planning to upgrade until there is a solid, 4K/HDR/low response time display for a good price, I still went ahead and picked up the PS4 Pro this morning. Granted, there are other reasons why I did this (I also have PSVR and I made my old PS4 a dedicated console for footage capture), but the allure of increased graphical fidelity and downsampling was enough to secure my purchase.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Have only tested TF|2, but I noticed the difference immediately. It looks clean as fuck.

It's the console I wanted at the start of the gen and then some.

I'd much rather have down sampling at 1080p and extra graphical bells and whistles than the compromised faux 4K experience so many titles on both the Pro and inevitably Scorpio will be offering, at least for AAA third party games, and I will instead make the change to 4K with standardised HDR etc next gen when it is both much more affordable and can also offer a more substantial graphical upgrade than simply a resolution bump.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I want one, but not enough of my current library is being optimized for it. The games I'm playing right now won't be taking advantage of It.

If I bought more games I would consider upgrading sooner, but right now there's just not a benefit for me. Maybe in 6 months to a year.

Plum

I'm definitely going to wait as I likely won't be getting a 4K TV for a long time (like, 3 years or so) and once I get my new Gaming PC up and running it'll only be used for exclusives. Just not worth it for me right now.

platina

Definitely worth it. Goodbye shimmering and hello pristine iq for upcoming games. Not to mention better framerate and graphical effects. So damn worth it.

edit: dat detailed boot
uncharted4_athiefsend5wqic.png

I'm nervous that the bump won't be drastically significant, so I'm going to wait to see how Scorpia pans out next year and make my decision between Xbox/Playstation then. By that time the 4K HDR TVs will be much less expensive too, and I'm a cheap bastard.

Ishida

Banned
1080p TV owner here (With plans to upgrade to 4K next year). I'm getting the PS4 Pro for future-proofing and because I want those sweet upgrades in IQ on the games I already own.

Fisty

Haven't even bothered checking the results on my 1080p TV, I've been wow-ing nonstop at Pro's impact on PSVR image quality. Talk about night and day.

5taquitos

Haven't even bothered checking the results on my 1080p TV, I've been wow-ing nonstop at Pro's impact on PSVR image quality. Talk about night and day.

This is my reason for getting one later today, even though I don't have PSVR yet. The 1080p boost will be nice, but I want to dive into PSVR with the best possible setup.

I think PS4 Pro for 1080p owners is totally worth it if you can afford it. We already see bigger or smaller improvements for 1080p, but keep in mind that with time higher resolution won't be the only benefit, upcoming games will have better effects, more foliage, better draw distances and such. I think in a year or two there won't be many new PS4s sold that aren't Pro and all reviewers, all youtubers will be using a Pro. Xbox Scorpio will soon join Pro and game development will fully prioritize Pro and Scorpio, leaving only legacy support for regular PS4 and Xbox One.

So yeah, worth it.

Super happy and impressed.
It's just the beginning of the pro and you already have great benefits.
Battlefield 1 with much better framerate when playing matches with 64 players + higher resolution.

Goodbye to most of the jaggies, thanks to downsampling.

Excited to see what developers can achieve in the future.

So the OP asks what 1080p owners of the Pro think of it, but instead we get the fucking usual chorus of posters saying they don't want to buy it. Tut tut. Neogaf.gif

Anyway, I'm a 1080p TV owner who got a Pro today. So here we go.

Loads quieter than my launch PS4 - so much better. But I will add that my old one was a real loud one. So if you were lucky enough to have had a quiet one before, you may not notice the difference.

Feels much smoother and fluid in general with faster load times. But again - it is new and I have a 2TB Firecuda in it this time instead of just a normal 2TB drive.

Only had the time to play one Pro enhanced game before my son kicked me off to play Dragon Quest Builders. And that was Paragon and that has fantastic 1080 enchantments. Higher Res, smoother 60 FPS play, lovely screen space reflections and tons of extra details. It was lovely and a great game that's free if you haven't tried it.

I've still got a load of games that have Pro stuff to install later, so more fun to come.

I'm very pleased so far, but I'm happy to drop the cash on games and consoles. I will always desire a shinier thing. And I am now ready for 4K, when I do upgrade my TV. But 1080p is working for me so far.

If you can splash the cash or get a good deal or trade then in my opinion it's worth it.

As I've said in another thread, I've been in the market for a new TV after having played on a 720p display this whole time so these impressions were honestly all I needed to jump for a good 1080p display.

November will hurt my wallet so much, haha.

zoukka

It's cool. Nothing you would cough up 400 euros for, need way more games with substantial improvements. R&C looks dope, next I'll try TloU.

Skilletor

So would a downsampled image and checkerboard image provide a similar IQ?

Really looking forward to seeing FF15 without the aliasing problems.

I have the feeling the Pro is actually more suitable for 1080p owners. Some of the 4K modes, especially the ones that try their hardest to run at native 4k (see The Witness downgrading itself to 30 fps lol) don't leave any resources for bells & whistles.

My impression is that downsampled graphics (+stable framerate and resources left for more AA and more effects/draw distance etc.) will always look better than upscaled bare-bone graphics (checkerboard or not) no matter the resolution of the actual display.

That dilemma coupled with no other 4K media (no blu-ray and the 4K apps are available on the TVs themselves) makes the Pro usage on 4K TVs more than questionable IMO.

I mean, even the 1080p mode differences are marginal, as expected. Sure it's cleaner, but is it 400€ cleaner? (unless this is your first PS4, then definitely get the Pro and not the Slim)
It's kinda hilarious that HDR brings the biggest visual differences with the Pro-patched games that are far more obvious than just the cleaner IQ in most games - considering you get to experience HDR for free on your current PS4 (if you have a 4K TV that is).

OmegaFax

So would a downsampled image and checkerboard image provide a similar IQ?

Really looking forward to seeing FF15 without the aliasing problems.

The game uses dynamic resolution, right? At the very least, the resolution and framerate will be a lock on PS4 Pro.

I'm sure it looks better, but not $400 better. For me, I need to buy the TV first then I'll look into getting the consoles.

alienator

picked up my ps4o and titanfal 2 today.. was amazed about how sharp and clean it looked.

but then i realised i dont know how it looks on a normal ps4.. so i went ahead and popped it in the good old normal ps4.

lets say it this way, i wont play this on my old ps4.

edit im on peasant 1080p.

w0s

I'm nervous that the bump won't be drastically significant, so I'm going to wait to see how Scorpia pans out next year and make my decision between Xbox/Playstation then. By that time the 4K HDR TVs will be much less expensive too, and I'm a cheap bastard.

No need to even wait to decide. The scorpio should absolutely trounce the ps4 pro as far as difference from a ps4.

Wagram

Half step, focused on the minute 4k crowd over 1080p users. They messed up with their reveal marketing and focus. Scorpio will steal their lunch next year unless they're planning an early PS5.

Lichter

I'm not upgrading, I just bought my PS4 in February (+ I bought a gaming PC last week so I'll probably never upgrade)

The PRO is actually better for 1080P users IMO. If I had a 4K telly I'd probably run the Pro at 1080P and let the TV's amazing upscaler do the rest.

That sucks, makes me not want to buy PSVR if I need a Pro to enjoy it properly :/
Maybe I'll wait till another PS4 iteration, the HDR issue with PSVR is a serious turnoff as well and they should just build in that stupid VR box.

glad to see so many sensible posts in this thread.

i'm heavily considering jumping into the world of playstation for the first time with the pro, and have ZERO intention of playing in 4k.

just annoyed by this whole push for 4k thing at the moment, horsepower still isn't there, displays themselves are barely ready.

super clean image quality, more graphical flair, and better framerates at a downsampled to 1080p image is where it's at.

i'll probably crumble and buy one once horizon comes out.

it’s basically how PS4 should have released...But in order to get the gen rolling and to hit the sweet price point, I’m ok with the cuts Sony decided. Though for perception sake, I wish it would have gotten a 4K drive in it as well, it’s pretty much a perfected PS4. The OT is fitting, PS4 Reloded (or Remastered) if you will.

I don’t need a 4K set until something like Horizon launches.

It's a shame that this thread has gone this way.
I am on the fence, and would like to see people look at the title, and then comment accordingly. There is already 101 threads to say they will:

1. Wait for the PS5
2. Wait for "real" 4k.
3. Don't intend to buy one as it doesn't have a UHD drive.
4. Blah, blah, blah.

I'm sure it looks better, but not $400 better. For me, I need to buy the TV first then I'll look into getting the consoles.

Question: In what territory is the Pro $400 more expensive than a regular PS4?
Answer = None

Top Bottom