• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So $29.99 3DS games have started?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Colonel Mustard said:
Wait, with everyone saying Tetris is the only title worth that price, what's wrong with Dr. Lautrec that it should be considered for a budget release? It looks pretty awesome for what it is. The game looks like it's paying homage to Layton big time.

The Layton games are pretty awesome. Or does GAF hate those?
I can't imagine that Konami is optimistic for the title. It bombed in Japan.

Kazerei said:
$29.99 3DS games started at launch. As someone else mentioned, Bust-A-Move Universe was a $29.99 launch title.
Yeah, that's my bad. For some reason I had it in my head that no launch titles were under $39.99.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nintendo probably won't be cutting 3DS software prices for their titles, unless they have really lackluster sales this holiday season with Mario Kart 7 / Super Mario 3D Land. They slashed the 'sticker shocking' price for the system itself, and they make most of their money on software. They'll really push to keep the $39.99 norm now.

Kujo

Still too high for these. I wonder how much the costs of 3DS cards compare with manufacturing optical media

You can go ahead and add Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights to that list.

However, not sure when the release date is.

Amazon lists it for Dec. 6 and GameStop Nov. 15

I checked Best Buy and they say Nov. 15 as well...

spons

Gold Member
All these games that look and feel like they're rolled off the assembly line shouldn't cost more than $10 anyway. It's the same shit that's available on any mobile platform only 10 times the price.

Truth101 said:
I meant brick and mortar, should have been more clear, also not including sales.
So you're saying it won't drop in price unless it drops in price?

I'm interested in reviews for Tetris, $30 for Tetris is expensive but I played the shit out of the awesome DS version and that ended up being pretty rare.

I knew third party prices would come down. The exact same thing happened with the DS, where a bunch of third party games were $40 at launch, but the standard price settled at $30. It also happened with the PSP, but it was even worse with titles like Liberty City Stories launching at the absurd price of $50. I think 3DS prices will settle at $30, but big titles like Mario and Resident Evil will be $40 because they can get away with it. Also, I bet Square Enix has the audacity to charge $45 for all of their 3DS games.

fernoca

dr3upmushroom said:
So you're saying it won't drop in price unless it drops in price?

I'm interested in reviews for Tetris, $30 for Tetris is expensive but I played the shit out of the awesome DS version and that ended up being pretty rare.
Kotaku (well, actually Stephen Totilo) so far; is not a big fan of it and said that Tetris DS is superior in everything.

Other impressions I've seen around might share some of the complaints, but still say it's a good Tetris game. Totilo is not as happy though:

There is an outfit called The Tetris Company. They enable a game to be branded as an "authentic Tetris game." These games were both authorized.

I have not asked them, but I believe that, by having the ability to allow Tetris games to exist, The Tetris Company also has the ability to make them no longer exist. Hence: you can't buy a new copy of Tetris DS anywhere. It's been out of print for years. On paper, they did the right thing, letting new companies like Majesco, Hudson and EA make new Tetris games for DS, PSP, iPhone, you name it... but sometimes the game they made in 2006—hell, the game Tetris inventor Alexey Pajitnov made in the mid-80's—is great enough.

If you're going to get a Tetris game for the 3DS, remember the thing you may have already learned as a 3DS owner: it's not the 3D that matters; it's not the year the game was made... get the great one. Get 2006's Tetris DS.

(Note: Tetris Axis will be out on October 2 and, to be fair, it does have online multiplayer that I wasn't able to save. That might help the game, but I doubt it'll change the fact that, at best, this new Tetris is an ambitious mediocrity. 3DS gamers deserved a better new Tetris, because, whether hardware is good or bad, you can always have a great Tetris on it.)

I'll get it anyway.

watershed

Banned
fernoca said:
Kotaku (well, actually Stephen Totilo) so far; is not a big fan of it and said that Tetris DS is superior in everything.

Other impressions I've seen around might share some of the complaints, but still say it's a good Tetris game. Totilo is not as happy though:

There is an outfit called The Tetris Company. They enable a game to be branded as an "authentic Tetris game." These games were both authorized.

I have not asked them, but I believe that, by having the ability to allow Tetris games to exist, The Tetris Company also has the ability to make them no longer exist. Hence: you can't buy a new copy of Tetris DS anywhere. It's been out of print for years. On paper, they did the right thing, letting new companies like Majesco, Hudson and EA make new Tetris games for DS, PSP, iPhone, you name it... but sometimes the game they made in 2006—hell, the game Tetris inventor Alexey Pajitnov made in the mid-80's—is great enough.

If you're going to get a Tetris game for the 3DS, remember the thing you may have already learned as a 3DS owner: it's not the 3D that matters; it's not the year the game was made... get the great one. Get 2006's Tetris DS.

(Note: Tetris Axis will be out on October 2 and, to be fair, it does have online multiplayer that I wasn't able to save. That might help the game, but I doubt it'll change the fact that, at best, this new Tetris is an ambitious mediocrity. 3DS gamers deserved a better new Tetris, because, whether hardware is good or bad, you can always have a great Tetris on it.)

I'll get it anyway.

I really don't get his negativity, the game still has classic tetris gameplay and from what I've seen it looks good. His complaints about the visual style are odd to me. The game has a ton of play modes, if you want classic you can have that, it has local and online multiplayer, multiple multiplayer modes in fact. The only complaint I have is that its still $30 for tetris but it does have a lot of content.

rahuljx

OldJadedGamer said:
Maybe because Nintendo started charging more for the DS carts. Remember, third parties still need to pay Nintendo a royalty of around $10 for each game made and also, they have to pay Nintendo to make the carts for them.

When you think about this and how Nintendo doesn't pay that extra cost for first party titles you realize just how overpriced stuff like OOT is.

Are the royalty charges really that high? Is Sony also charging the same for the PSP?

seady

If handheld games can go so low to $.99 road, I don't see why console games like Gears of War and Uncharted can't go for $10 or lower. They can go for the mass marketed path like iOS to make profit.

There will never be a Tetris as awesome as Tetris DS. Nintendo SPD #2 needs to get back on the horse and show all these pretenders how it's done.

I think Tetris might end up being decent, the others though...

It is the start of a nice trend though no matter what. Hopefully it continues.

fernoca

seady said:
If handheld games can go so low to $.99 road, I don't see why console games like Gears of War and Uncharted can't go for $10 or lower. They can go for the mass marketed path like iOS to make profit.
Try to look for a game like Gears or Uncharted, with the same budget, resources and time..that has been released for under $10 and made profits too.

They can (and do) make "lower budget games", but the scale, budget, resources are not the same; which is why they're able to sell it at under $10 and make a profit.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fantastical said:
Usually less than $60 for multiple games. Will be interesting to see how Nintendo will price them if they start doing it on Wii U. I would bet they go full price (sigh).
Wii Play Controls line was budget-priced.

Also, if a competent port, Pinball Hall of Fame is worth $60 :p

mdtauk

fernoca said:

I'll get it anyway.

Fuck him. His complaint can be summarised as "It's not as good as Tetris DS so it sucks"

Of course it's not as good as Tetris DS, no other version of Tetris is! That doesn't change the fact that (going by the Tetris Party series, which this game is a sequel to) it's a fantastic version of Tetris, with some very fun and innovative modes all of its own (especially shadow and bombliss!)

Takao

Banned
l'eclisse said:
Are the royalty charges really that high? Is Sony also charging the same for the PSP?

It costs basically nothing to make UMDs, and apparently Sony's reduced their licensing fees for PSP games in its death bed.

WEGGLES

Games need to be a bit cheaper on the 3DS. $40 for most... $30 even for some games is a lot. Those $30 game sound like shit shovel ware.

Other than Tetris Axis of Evil

-KRS-

Holy shit, since when did we know that Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection was coming for the 3DS? I've completely missed that. The Wii version was really good.

Remember Nintendo is publishing Tetris Axis. It looks like it'll be really good actually, and for 30 I might bite. This also means it'll have Club Nintendo coins in it also.

1-D_FTW

Wario64 said:
Seeing that line up, I think they'll need to be lower than $30.

Yep. Saw that list and immediately thought they should all be under 10 dollars DD-only games.

Hudson, in fact, originally announced Tetris as a DD title. Then Konami happened. And then the Nintendo publishing thing happened. Good-bye DD pricing.

synt4x said:
Holy shit, since when did we know that Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection was coming for the 3DS? I've completely missed that. The Wii version was really good.
Yeah it should be awesome. There were rumors of it back in February and a trailer came out around May when it was originally scheduled to come out.

Here's someone playing it. You can play in upside down mode, in order to have the 3D table on the bottom and the score display on top. I doubt I would play it like that but it's nice that they decided to include the option I guess!

Here's a review. There are only 7 tables in this version: Gorgar, Black Knight, Pinbot, Space Shuttle, Taxi, Funhouse, and Whirlwind. Still really looking forward to it.

olimpia84

UncleSporky said:
Yeah it should be awesome. There were rumors of it back in February and a trailer came out around May when it was originally scheduled to come out.

Here's someone playing it. You can play in upside down mode, in order to have the 3D table on the bottom and the score display on top. I doubt I would play it like that but it's nice that they decided to include the option I guess!

Here's a review. There are only 7 tables in this version: Gorgar, Black Knight, Pinbot, Space Shuttle, Taxi, Funhouse, and Whirlwind. Still really looking forward to it.

Ah crap, I was hoping it would have the 'full' set of tables like in the PSN release =(

1-D_FTW said:
Hudson, in fact, originally announced Tetris as a DD title. Then Konami happened. And then the Nintendo publishing thing happened. Good-bye DD pricing.
No, I think Tetris was always retail. Looking at the amount of content in it though, I think it's one of the few puzzlers that justifies retail pricing.

1-D_FTW

lunchwithyuzo said:
No, I think Tetris was always retail. Looking at the amount of content in it though, I think it's one of the few puzzlers that justifies retail pricing.

I'll agree it's the one puzzler many could justify paying retail for (and the one title in the OP), but I could have sworn when it was initially unveiled, it was a DD title.

l'eclisse said:

I believe they are all in line with each other. Remember that third party games for the PSP launched at $50.

WAT @ Tetris Axis impressions that have been posted... what about the AR modes (Marathon, Climber) and Bombliss modes, online with VOIP between friends etc? That alone pushes it above Tetris DS for me... I suspect these reviewers have overly fond memories of Tetris DS purely because of all the Nintendo imagery and sounds that were injected...

From the other thread:

fernoca said:
Modes:
  • Featured Game Modes:
    • Marathon
    • Computer Battle
    • Fever
    • Survival
  • Party Game Modes:
    • Stage Racer Plus
    • Shadow Wide
    • Jigsaw