• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So $29.99 3DS games have started?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I was looking at Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights, and I noticed that it is coming out at $29.99, where as every 3DS game (that I can think of) before now has come out at $39.99.

But it's not just Doctor Lautrec. There are other games coming out at $29.99.
-Frogger 3DS
-Tetris Axis
-Deca Sports Extreme
-Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection
-Brunswick Pro Bowling
-MAHJONG CUB3D
-Outdoor Unleashed: Alaska

When did this start? Did I just miss it? I'm waiting for bigger titles to get to $29.99 or $34.99 as well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know, Tetris Axis looks like it might have a lot of stuff in it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Truth101 said:
Nothing was stopping 3rd parties from releasing games at $29.99 before, just greed.
Right, but none of them were doing it. Bust-a-Move 3DS launched at $39.99. It was a launch title, but still...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Budget prices for budget games. Too bad most of those won't move until they're more in the $19.99 range in the Wal-Mart crap bins.

jackdoe

Truth101 said:
Nothing was stopping 3rd parties from releasing games at $29.99 before, just greed.
And Nintendo setting the standard. Had Nintendo set the prices for their games at $30, you can bet third parties would match that price.

Truth101

Banned
jackdoe said:
And Nintendo setting the standard. Had Nintendo set the prices for their games at $30, you can bet third parties would match that price.

Nintendo doesn't need to under-cut their price to gain extra sales, a lot of 3rd party titles do. 3rd parties just need to decide if the $10 cut in price will be recouped in extra sales.

qq more

I don't understand why 3DS games cost 40 dollars to begin with. It's even worse when even remakes are doing this. (Waited to get OoT3D for 25 dollars and I'm currently waiting for SF643D's price drop)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
It's Gamestop. They've done this before. I remember when they charged $25 for Link's Crossbow Training with zapper when it was $20 everywhere.
What's the 'used' one selling for?

Eusis

Wario64 said:
It's Gamestop. They've done this before. I remember when they charged $25 for Link's Crossbow Training with zapper when it was $20 everywhere.
And if I'm remembering right had a $20 sale. They don't do it as often as they used to though, otherwise we'd be seeing talk about our $65 games rather than $60.

Anyways I'm thinking this might just be for the lower end/less popular games, the ones that are harder to justify at $40 than the big Mario games or Kid Icarus. Then again we might see those at $35 anyway!

Truth101

Banned
qq more said:
I don't understand why 3DS games cost 40 dollars to begin with. It's even worse when even remakes are doing this. (Waited to get OoT3D for 25 dollars and I'm currently waiting for SF643D's price drop)

So, complete re-makes don't deserve to be sold at full price. How about HD remakes? Against those too?

Also, OOT is 99% likely not to ever drop in price.

Jeeves

qq more said:
Yeah...$40 is a little hard for me to swallow. I didn't even like paying $35 for some DS games.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Truth101 said:
So, complete re-makes don't deserve to be sold at full price. How about HD remakes? Against those too?

I don't know any HD remakes sold at full price. Most include multiple games at a budget price. MGS Collection is only $50.

Also OoT 3D is $29.99 at Amazon. Not an official price drop, but you can get it for $10 less.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Truth101 said:
Not officially no but he could get it in a buy two get one deal or something. Then it's essentially 33% off. He could also get really lucky and score it on clearance.

qq more

Truth101 said:
Chill. I was just expressing how I feel about the prices. Don't know why you're being kind of defensive over it. I'm not bashing the games in any way.

By the way, curious, but how much do retail HD remakes cost in general?

Truth101 said:
I saw it on Amazon for about $30 or less new. *shrugs*

Fantastical

Death Prophet
qq more said:
By the way, curious, but how much do retail HD remakes cost in general?
Usually less than $60 for multiple games. Will be interesting to see how Nintendo will price them if they start doing it on Wii U. I would bet they go full price (sigh).

Truth101

Banned
qq more said:
Chill. I was just expressing how I feel about the prices. Don't know why you're being kind of defensive over it. I'm not bashing them in any way.

By the way, curious, but how much do HD remakes cost?

It depends the collections usually go for $39.99 to $49.99, it depends on the publisher I guess. It's basically free money.

I saw it on Amazon for about $30 or less new. *shrugs*

I meant brick and mortar, should have been more clear, also not including sales.

I don't know if we still need to keep this to it's relevant shit thread but: the reason is probably because the majority of those titles are quite comparable to smartphone games priced under $5. You just can't ask for $40 for some things any more (even $30 is pushing it).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I don't know if we still need to keep this to it's relevant shit thread but: the reason is probably because the majority of those titles are quite comparable to smartphone games priced under $5. You just can't ask for $40 for some things any more (even $30 is pushing it).
I don't know if it has that much to do with smartphones, or just the fact that people aren't willing to pay $40 for a handheld game. You could say the two are related, but we saw it with the PSP as well.

Tobor

Cow Mengde said:
Still 10 dollars too expensive for most of those titles. Tetris is probably the only one worth 30 bucks.
Looking at that list, they're more like $15 to $20 too expensive.

qq more

Truth101 said:
It depends the collections usually go for $39.99 to $49.99, it depends on the publisher I guess. It's basically free money.
That's actually pretty good. I don't mind collections even being full price either. Especially since it contains multiple games.

Truth101 said:
I meant brick and mortar, should have been more clear, also not including sales.
Ah, actually might be my mistake. I was actually referring to online retails when I said I'm waiting for the "price drop", I should of have worded that much better. You are right though that OoT likely won't get an official price drop, at least for a few years knowing Nintendo. lol

$20 is the perfect price for handheld games, will it happen? Sooner or later it will :D

q3oAO.png

EDIT: Not for those handheld games LOL

qq more said:

Maybe because Nintendo started charging more for the DS carts. Remember, third parties still need to pay Nintendo a royalty of around $10 for each game made and also, they have to pay Nintendo to make the carts for them.

When you think about this and how Nintendo doesn't pay that extra cost for first party titles you realize just how overpriced stuff like OOT is.

qq more

OldJadedGamer said:
Maybe because Nintendo started charging more for the DS carts. Remember, third parties still need to pay Nintendo a royalty of around $10 for each game made and also, they have to pay Nintendo to make the carts for them.

When you think about this and how Nintendo doesn't pay that extra cost for first party titles you realize just how overpriced stuff like OOT is.
Ah, I see. Didn't know about this.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Cow Mengde said:
Still 10 dollars too expensive for most of those titles. Tetris is probably the only one worth 30 bucks.

You haven't played Pinball Hall of Fame, I take it.

Game of the Year, all years.

fernoca

From what I remember, the price (MSRP) is still $39.99. Some publishers are releasing them at slightly lower prices to get higher sales because the sales of their other "awesome games" haven't been great. While Ubisoft titles did well, but even better after the constant $20 (and under) sales.

In other cases stores are lowering the price just for preorders (and in some cases online preorders). Probably as a test to see if people are more willing to preorder a game and get it cheaper than not to and get it at the full price.

For example, Gamestop.com has Pokémon Rumble for preorder at $34.99, while Amazon.com has it at $39.99.

But we'll see. I hope it is permanent.

Wait, with everyone saying Tetris is the only title worth that price, what's wrong with Dr. Lautrec that it should be considered for a budget release? It looks pretty awesome for what it is. The game looks like it's paying homage to Layton big time.

The Layton games are pretty awesome. Or does GAF hate those?

qq more said:
Ah, I see. Didn't know about this.

That's why most first party titles tend to be of higher production values because for instance, Gears 3 for the 360 just passed 3 million units. Because they are first party, that is $30 million they didn't have to pay in royalties and that money can then be spent on marketing or more development time.

All third parties for any system have to pay a "system tax" to the maker of the console.

Top Bottom