• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

GatorBait

"Okay."

I mean, if they want to stick to their principles, they can go eat outside. I'm assuming they didn't go off on a tirade or anything. Not any skin
or scales
off your back.

Pretty much agree with this. Though I'd like the company at the dinner table, if they don't feel like they can oblige, it's not something I'd personally stress over. As long as he isn't being dick about it.

Poppy

"okay"

nothing would get in the way of me eating that cod at the time. i have no beef with people of any dietary preference, and also i am very good at ignoring people

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
This would be a perfect opportunity to point out going forward that every other non-food item he touches, sits on or interacts with is not vegan friendly, just to gauge his response. "That's a leather couch. Shouldn't you be sitting on the floor?"

zulux21

I would likely just follow them and lock the door behind them, give them at least a few hours time out for acting like a spoiled brat. If I took the time to cook a vegan meal for them and they acted that way that would be it. I would never bother again they can feed themselves or eat my non vegan food.

Viewt

That's weird behavior, for sure, and I have a hard time believing that someone could get by in life refusing to even eat at the same table where meat was being consumed.

What does your sister think of all of this? Did she follow him out so that he wouldn't be alone, or did she agree?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
just remind them

wdQRin7.gif

Adaren

Was the fish still whole when it was put on the table? Maybe that's what upset him.

Do you think he was intentionally causing a scene or was he legitimately upset? Only you can answer that OP, but if he's legitimately upset then I wouldn't hold it against him. Some people are just weird/sensitive, which is very different than being maliciously rude. You can ask how you can accomodate him in he future, and if his requests aren't something you're comfortable doing then you'll just have to live with the fact that you're both happier if you don't sit down for dinner with one another.

Beyond fucking rude and I would ask him to leave. A meat alternative is prepped specifically for him but he still cant eat it because fish is being consumed at the same table? Is the world supposed to change because hes uncomfortable? What a nob. Go hand him a fork and tell him he can eat the grass outside.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
So, I just had a family dinner. My sister and her husband are vegans. The food was delicious oven-baked cod and there were was a vegan alternative for my sister and her husband.

He declared that he would not be able to sit at the same table where dead fish was being consumed and left to eat outside, followed by my sister.

How would you react to this? Would it even be possible to go through life like this? Like, how would you deal with representation dinners as work? Should we as family enable such behaviour? In the real world, such silly behaviour is not acceptable. Your ability to socialize with anyone who is not a vegan would be non-existent.

Sorry, I'm rambling (and a bit upset) and can't really put together a coherent argument. Discuss.
offering a vegan alternative was more than i would have offered. /shrug.

dick move by them.

Boney

Banned
It's certainly rude but it's his prerogative. If he finds the consumption of animals to be morally reprehensible then he has the right to hold to that position. You're going to be able to quantify who is more right on the basis of table manners or veganism.

offering a vegan alternative was more than i would have offered. /shrug.

dick move by them.
Really? You'd invite your relatives for dinner and not offer them anything to eat? Would you leave peanuts even if someone were allergic?

Laieon

This would be a perfect opportunity to point out going forward that every other non-food item he touches, sits on or interacts with is not vegan friendly, just to gauge his response. "That's a leather couch. Shouldn't you be sitting on the floor?"

"So you don't eat the meat? You just be wearin' that shit. That's barbaric as shit!".

NimbusD

I mean, did they make any attempt to explain their position beforehand? It's a dick move to not say anything and then make a big commotion that your mom mainstream views aren't being properly supported.

G-Bus

Banned
I'd ignore him and his shitty attitude.

Bit of a slap in the face to your parents.

Edit - how long have they been vegan for?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
"Okay bye".

He's displaying stereotypical vegan behavior. He is trying to force you and yours into his lifestyle through emotional blackmail. Stay strong and let the bastard sit outside. Tell your sister he's being ridiculous and she shouldn't approve, or encourage, this type of behavior. Being vegan is okay, but respect other people's life choices.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Vegas are already on one of my last nerves (unless doing so for medical reasons), this would piss me off as well.

Tell them they are eating dead vegetables.

Saganator

Sounds like a quick and sure fire way to get a family to hate you. Wish there was a thread from the other perspective

"My family hates me because I'm vegan"

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sounds like maybe you should be a good brother-in-law and respect his choices?

How about the guest respect the host while on the host's turn?

Especially when the host went out of the way to accommodate the dietary restrictions.

Doubly so when you are hookup up with the host's daughter.

PerkeyMan

Didn't he (the brother in law) know what you were having before you sat down? It sounds like a prepared protest/demonstration.

I'm vegan and wouldn't act in such a way, especially when my own meal was prepared. Even if even the act of consumption upsets you it's not really realistic to avoid all visuals of it as well and acting in that way convinces no one to the alternative

Neverwas

use his douchery to tighten the bonds of family, and make fun of him at every family gathering. also only refer to him as Mariah from now on.

Top Bottom