• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

Vegas are already on one of my last nerves (unless doing so for medical reasons), this would piss me off as well.

Tell them they are eating dead vegetables.

This kind of attitude I'll never understand. Sure, that guy's a dick, but what do you care what someone else will or won't eat?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
"Okay bye".

He's displaying stereotypical vegan behavior. He is trying to force you and yours into his lifestyle through emotional blackmail. Stay strong and let the bastard sit outside. Tell your sister he's being ridiculous and she shouldn't approve, or encourage, this type of behavior. Being vegan is okay, but respect other people's life choices.
Exactly
Vegas are already on one of my last nerves (unless doing so for medical reasons), this would piss me off as well.

Tell them they are eating dead vegetables.
This is also what gets me about the "you killed an animal" moral stance. Plants are very much living as well

shandy706

How did you find out he was a vegan? Flashing neon sign on the car?

Probably that with them announcing it the second you meet them.

My brother and wife are that way with "all natural and gluten free". Have fun hearing how awful your food is and what they're getting instead.

Pastry

Banned
My family would probably make fun of him for as long as he is a family member if he did that. My sister was a vegetarian for a long time but always let us do our meat thing and didn't care.

Sulik2

This is nuts. Vegans tend to act like religious fanatics not people eating a specific diet. Its the dumbest thing. If you want to eat that way, props to you, but don't act like you are holier then every other person on the planet who might consume or use an animal product.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
It's certainly rude but it's his prerogative. If he finds the consumption of animals to be morally reprehensible then he has the right to hold to that position. You're going to be able to quantify who is more right on the basis of table manners or veganism.

Really? You'd invite your relatives for dinner and not offer them anything to eat? Would you leave peanuts even if someone were allergic?

being allergic to peanuts is not a choice.

I dont know what i would do, i dont have any vegan or veggie friends or family. Needless to say its probably easier to just not invite them than to invite them and worry about shit like this.

Sephzilla

If you offered a vegan alternative and he still acted like that then he's being a dick.

Next time don't even offer him food, or don't invite him.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If hes such an animal lover why is he eating up all their vegetables?

Silly vegeans

jph139

If a vegan equates the life of a fish with the life of a golden retriever then they're stupid.

Like, where would it end? Can't scratch your arm because you're killing countless bacteria.

I mean, doesn't that work in the other direction? Like, you can't live without doing harm, may as well start eating people. Everyone draws their lines differently. No need to be childish about it, y'know?

The family made special accommodations just for him. He responds by being a tool.

He's not going to win anyone over to his side by acting like this.

Sure, that's a problem. Don't agree to go somewhere where people will eat meat and then be surprised when they eat meat - just refuse outright or suffer through it. But we don't really have any context so I won't assume either way about the guy.

jiggle

It feels like in a situation like this
The only appropriate response is a - 'k
Don't even waste extra micro seconds of breath

They have been vegan for about a year. This is the first time they have done this

He is normally a nice guy. Definitely not an asshole

I think what has happened is similar to how any ideological bubble forms. They started socializing almost exclusively with vegans. Joined Facebook groups to find vegan recipes and in the group started talking about how the milk industry is basically raping cows. And you enter a parallel universe where I guess you think this is acceptable behavior

I was probably a bit of an asshole in this situation. I made more of a scene than I should have by questioning the behaviour

C.Mongler

Did he or your sister make any effort to politely disclose his Morrissey-esque, "no meat, not ever" attention-seeking routine prior to the dinner so that a fully vegan menu could have been prepared? If no, well let him enjoy the outside to make his point then.

And then stop inviting them to dinners until he apologizes. It's one thing to get into a heated debate about the matter, it's another thing to up and be an asshole entirely unprovoked.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Yea I would have just kind of laughed a little and then finished my food and given him a good razzin later after dinner for being such a doofus...

But like if it was gonna make him sick to even think about it and he just excused himself and went outside and ate and is otherwise totally pleasant (like he doesn't preach at you about how evil you are for eating fish/meat and going off about it all the time) then I'd just let this slide.

Yea it's a bit of a ridiculous diva BS move to make but if he wants to fit into the stereotype of the militant picky annoying vegan boyfriend then that's his baggage. Not yours. Dont stress.

Sounds like maybe you should be a good brother-in-law and respect his choices?
I would respect his choices if he acted in a respectful way. This guy acted like a kid who didn't get his favorite toy for his birthday and left the party.

If you want respect you gotta act like someone that deserves it.

daviyoung

Banned
They have been vegan for about a year. This is the first time they have done this

I think what has happened is similar to how any ideological bubble forms. They started socializing almost exclusively with vegans. Joined Facebook groups to find vegan recipes and in the group started talking about how the milk industry is basically raping cows. And you enter a parallel universe where I guess you think this is acceptable behavior

I was probably a bit of an asshole in this situation. I made more of a scene than I should have by questioning the behaviour

ok, it sounds like the situation escalated before he actually took his plate and left

was there a conversation about his veganism before he did that?

Ryuukan

serve fish on him next time

KQyLUnI.gif

zulux21

I mean, if you're vegan on a moral basis, that seems fair enough.

Like, would you sit at a table where they're carving up a whole golden retriever like a Christmas ham?

I was going to say there is a big difference between an illegal act and your morals... but then I looked it up.
Is it legal to eat dog in the US?
It is illegal to sell dog or cat meat in the United States but 44 states allow its personal consumption. Indian reservations are exempt from such restrictions. What this means is you can humanely kill and eat a dog or cat but you can't sell it at a restaurant or supermarket.

so huh...

anyways, nah. I've always been interested to find out what dog meat tasted like (as well as a ton of other ones :p)

If you are going to have an issue with it, just don't join them in the first place. And if I didn't want to try dog because I found it wrong and they prepared a side meal for me I would just eat it and quietly judge them.

Sephzilla

No, you aren't the asshole in this situation. He made a scene out of it by walking out because you made your choice on what you want to eat

He's being an asshole and should be called out on it

That's weird behavior, for sure, and I have a hard time believing that someone could get by in life refusing to even eat at the same table where meat was being consumed.

What does your sister think of all of this? Did she follow him out so that he wouldn't be alone, or did she agree?

I think she followed him to keep him company

Jenov

What a manipulative douche. Don't invite him back for anymore dinners after such a disrespectful tantrum, especially after the family went out of their way to give a vegan alternative. Your sister should know better than to treat her family that way too.

Surfinn

I was vegan for a year, vegetarian now. It's really fucking unrealistic to expect every single person to eat the way you do. I don't judge people who eat meat, as only a few years back I was too. I mean shit if people are going out of their way to provide an alternative, that's pretty considerate.

I eat with my parents and their friends often over summer, and while they grill and cook meet, they make me veggies and even specific dishes to provide me a meal. For that I'm thankful.

Walking out is totally inappropriate and super rude, given the context established in the OP.

Sotha_Sil

I would have locked the door after he went out. You tried to accommodate him with a vegan meal. He acted like a pretentious dick and disrespected you in your own home. He can try again next time, should another invitation be offered.

Quonny

I would respect his choices if he acted in a respectful way. This guy acted like a kid who didn't get his favorite toy for his birthday and left the party.

If you want respect you gotta act like someone that deserves it.

What if he said "Sorry, but I'm not comfortable eating my meal with the spread on the table. Please excuse me, I'll be back in a bit. Sorry for the disruption. Enjoy your meal."

Hardly disrespectful. Maybe a little odd, but hardly worth getting upset over.

How about the guest respect the host while on the host's turn?

Especially when the host went out of the way to accommodate the dietary restrictions.

Doubly so when you are hookup up with the host's daughter.

So not wanting to watch people eat dead animals is disrespectful?

Just ignore it would be my advice. Family are always weird, it's just something you have to live with, and really, morally the guy is kind of in the right given that you're happily chowing down on some innocent creatures corpse, even if he was an arse about it.

Give it a day or two, find and offer him a vegan safe beer and bond over some shared interest, then give the guy some gentle ribbing over it if he's not the hyper sensitive thin skinned kind.

Maybe even work around it and show some support a bit. Share a vegan safe starter and dessert with the two of them, but set up a nice table outside with some candles and wine for their main so you can show your happy to support their choices, but the rest of your family aren't going to change their ways just because of it.

Be the bigger person basically.

driggonny

Banned
That seems strange. Definitely not a behavior I've ever personally seen from the vegans/vegetarians I know. Most seem fine with it tbh.

That's his own problem, really. He should probably figure something else out on his own if he really can't stand it.

I'm vegan and I'd never even fucking dream of doing this. So rude. It's one thing to get upset when your diet isn't even considered, as my soon-to-be mother-in-law is want to do this to my fiancé and I. However, if you've been provided a wonderful vegan option than this is beyond the pail. Folks like this give us a bad name.

Kinyou

Lock the door, enjoy the rest of the day

Lock the door

lock the doors so they can't come back in

lol damnit

I would likely just follow them and lock the door behind them, give them at least a few hours time out for acting like a spoiled brat. If I took the time to cook a vegan meal for them and they acted that way that would be it. I would never bother again they can feed themselves or eat my non vegan food.

Lock the door

Lock the doors behind them 😎
You guys, we should start a club or something

Top Bottom