• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So about Red Dead Redemption 2 Honest Opinion..

DustQueen

Banned
So this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but it's something I need to get of my chest.

I remember playing Red Dead Revolver and loving that game.

Then Red Dead Redemption came out but for some reason I never had interest or desire to play it.

Then RDR2 got announced and it looked absolutely insane. I bought the game really cheap after a few months, played for 20 minutes and never touched it again.

So I will explain my issue with the game.

I understand why its so loved and I will agree that it is a very impressive game from the visual standpoint and realism from the videos I've seen. However, the first hour or so was so extremely slow for me and the awkward controls really turned me off.

So dear gaf tell me, and flame me if you wish but am I really missing out here? Should I give this game another chance? It's just a pet peeve of mine when games present you with many mechanics and controls that are just strange to get adjusted too. Also, the build up of the game in the snowy area for me just was not fun.

Does anyone else feel same way or share same sentiment? Is it really one of the best games ever? Do tell Gaf.
RDR2 opinions do not get better or more on point then this

Jimmy_liv

Playing only the first 20 mins is like reading the synopsis of a book you fancy reading but using that to decide its a shit book.

Barrico82

Banned
RDR2 opinions do not get better or more on point then this

The funny thing is this is only applicable to the story missions, the side missions are open even the online story missions has branches and if you do one thing there is a different outcome if you did the other

I think they were focusing on certain way of story telling via their missions, in that focus they forget or missed to think of making the missions more open or at least had a certain openness to their missions

cormack12

Gold Member
So this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but it's something I need to get of my chest.

Then Red Dead Redemption came out but for some reason I never had interest or desire to play it.

Then RDR2 got announced and it looked absolutely insane. I bought the game really cheap after a few months, played for 20 minutes and never touched it again.

I understand why its so loved and I will agree that it is a very impressive game from the visual standpoint and realism from the videos I've seen. However, the first hour or so was so extremely slow for me and the awkward controls really turned me off.

So dear gaf tell me, and flame me if you wish but am I really missing out here? Should I give this game another chance? It's just a pet peeve of mine when games present you with many mechanics and controls that are just strange to get adjusted too. Also, the build up of the game in the snowy area for me just was not fun.

Does anyone else feel same way or share same sentiment? Is it really one of the best games ever? Do tell Gaf.

It would be helpful to understand your issues. I'm playing through again and I think you have to change your mindset a little bit with this game, to get the most out of it. And I don't mean you need to mosey round marvelling at the environment.

The game is a slow burn. It's slow to get places, the exposition is slow, the animations are slow. The controls aren't that bad, I struggled more with getting the right thing selected for the contextual actions. Definitely give this another chance and I'll try and give you some tips to get the most out the game. I'd at least get to Horsehoe Overlook and spend a few hours there. I was one of those who 'struggled through' and absolutely love the game now. I had to go through the whole process of adapting, so the below points helped me.

1. Don't try and play this like a third person shooter, it's not meant to be played like that. It's more like an old timey shooting gallery. Keep the auto-aim and assists on. When you lock onto an enemy, just flick the right stick up and it should give you a headshot (this will improve as your weapon proficiency improves the more you use it - with that weapon only though).
2. Take the game in two parts. There are the missions and the open world. The missions are like TV episodes. Very rigid and they are basically interactive tv shows where you control the shootout parts. If you want to just have a ride round the world, then you will come across random events, strangers, trains and coaches to rob etc. or you can just go fishing, hunting or treasure hunting.
3. I'd liken the loop of this more to something like Stardew Valley where you get the most out of the game by having a 'loop' or routine that you plan on doing each day. So for example, if in camp, wake up, do a couple of chores. Then pick a main mission, supplies for Pearson, hunting, exploring or a companion activity and head back to camp when complete (or camp, see below). I think most frustrations are that most people want to do more in the confines of a day, than is actually possible.
4. Always use detective vision in the wild, you'll pick up enough wild carrots to never have to buy supplies for your horse. Hunt as well as even a non perfect carcass gives you lots of food/meat.
5. Save a cold, hot and general outfit on your horse. Makes it so much easier to switch between them and protect your cores when you suddenly go from Valentine up into the mountains for example.
6. This isn't the type of game like others where you set your way point, gallop to it and blitz through the story mission. By all means select a waypoint or mission and then just start riding there. You can choose to use the cinematic camera but tbh, you might miss stuff or if O'Driscolls ride out the thickets then you need to get control again which is clumsy - so save that for later. The point is, that you're meant to be distracted on your way there. That's why there are so many requests, strangers, random events and points of interest. It can feel frustrating if you go over to one then get hooked and then try to ride back to camp so....
7. ....You don't need to return to camp all the time. Camp in the wild if you get distracted by events and continue riding to the mission the next day. It's not a big deal.

DustQueen

Banned
The funny thing is this is only applicable to the story missions, the side missions are open even the online story missions has branches and if you do one thing there is a different outcome if you did the other

I think they were focusing on certain way of story telling via their missions, in that focus they forget or missed to think of making the missions more open or at least had a certain openness to their missions
He addressed allot of inconsistencies with RDR2 gameplay systems outside story missions. Their open world game design is pretty fucked too

Barrico82

Banned
He addressed allot of inconsistencies with RDR2 gameplay systems outside story missions. Their open world game design is pretty fucked too
I disagree with most of the points except the lianeraty in the story missions, the LEGO analogy is correct however it depends on your preferences, i see alot of criticism to the openness in MGSV where you literally can finish any mission the way you like, people still say it is boring and in RDR2 some still criticize it even though almost all the missions are different.

Some may find it cool just to follow instructions to build a complex structure like the death star
71QW4oAZJDL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Others like it when they use their imagination to build whatever they like, i dont know when/how one is considered to be (( right )) and the other is wrong, to me it is about having fun

DustQueen

Banned
I disagree with most of the points except the lianeraty in the story missions, the LEGO analogy is correct however it depends on your preferences, i see alot of criticism to the openness in MGSV where you literally can finish any mission the way you like, people still say it is boring and in RDR2 some still criticize it even though almost all the missions are different.

Some may find it cool just to follow instructions to build a complex structure like the death star
71QW4oAZJDL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Others like it when they use their imagination to build whatever they like, i dont know when/how one is considered to be (( right )) and the other is wrong, to me it is about having fun
Nobody said MGS5 is better, it was just an example of more open ended design.

And there is nothing to disagree with his criticism of RDR2 wanted system.

RafterXL

The beginning of the game is terribly slow, it's an outright slog if you replay the game, and the controls are straight up dogshit. The slow part you'll eventually push through and the rest of the game is great, but if you don't like, or can't adjust to, the controls you're never going to enjoy the game. Even if you do adjust they're never good, they just become less terrible.

Basically, if you get a couple of missions past the first camp and still don't like it, you never will. By that time the gameplay picks up and you'll either have adapted to the controls or you probably won't ever and shouldn't waste your time.

Tschumi

Agreed, brother... I think I'm too old to devote enough time to loving the world that i did the great open worlds of my past.

These days i prefer a semi open world, somewhere between ff12 and horizon Zero Dawn

Marvel14

Banned

As a game Red Dead Redemption 1 is far superior...

Reactions: Isa

Iced Arcade

the first hour or so is definitely extremely slow but the game gets amazing. one of the best games I played last gen.

I want to restart and replay the game but man that first bit of the game is painful

Y0ssarian

Banned
You probably should have at least gotten past the snow section before making this thread. But what do I know, I dropped the game completely in chapter 4

Plantoid

I just posted in another thread that this game is the biggest disappointment ever for me, and now I see this thread, you're not alone man

Justin9mm

I had the game since release, even went to midnight open for it because I was that hyped and took the day off work to play it.

I played it for about 6 hours that day and then a couple hours each day for a few days after that. I found it slow, the controls so clunky and complicated and wasn't vibing with the story. I put it down and never picked it up again.

Fast forward to about 5 months ago and I decided I would pick it up again to try again. I ended up enjoying the slowness of the game immensely, found myself fully invested in the characters and story and really didn't put it down until I finished it. I think personally it was a breath of fresh air compared to some dissapointing games I had played inbetween and I wasn't really ready for it when I first played it. The game really is high quality with a great story. I can see why people can't continue it as it takes a lot of your time and patience but I think it's worth it in the end.

Flutta

Banned
20 min is not enough to judge a game. I’ve done it myself. I did it with HK, then i gave it another shot and loved it.

RD2 def has issues but overal i enjoyed it. Its a game you def cant rush thats for damn sure.

cormack12

Gold Member
How is pointing on things with a mouse and clicking making it better?
If anything, it makes it even more tedious.
And if this is the only thing a game can offer (skill headshots with a mouse), then ... wow game mechanics ?
Guy is trolling. Game has terrible key mappings, bugs with mouse wheels, issues arising from needing to actually take the finger off the mouse for certain things and because of the lack of a contextual L2 has so many binds for all the various actions. And to sum up nicely all they do is emulate controller input. Horse back riding and shooting is particularly terrible. Literally the only advantage is when not having to move and shoot and you can rely on the mouse free aim.

Best to ignore.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Guy is trolling. Game has terrible key mappings, bugs with mouse wheels, issues arising from needing to actually take the finger off the mouse for certain things and because of the lack of a contextual L2 has so many binds for all the various actions. And to sum up nicely all they do is emulate controller input. Horse back riding and shooting is particularly terrible. Literally the only advantage is when not having to move and shoot and you can rely on the mouse free aim.

Best to ignore.
Lol. How mouse wheel bugs if there are any (i don't even use the wheel), more keys to use, makes the gameplay worse than just brain dead auto aim???

Markio128

Yep, like others have said - it is a Wild West sandbox, and for those who find that appealing, it is a stunning achievement. I also found moments to enjoy in the relatively mundane, just because of the fantastic ambience and atmosphere. But I agree, in that the first hour is a bit off-putting and the vastness of the map can be a turn-off. I enjoyed most of my time with it, but:
Paola Bracho Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I’ve never finished the story!

• LOL

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The first hour isn't indicative of the rest of the game. Just exploring the world they created is reason enough to go back to it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
How is pointing on things with a mouse and clicking making it better?
If anything, it makes it even more tedious.
And if this is the only thing a game can offer (skill headshots with a mouse), then ... wow game mechanics ?

How is pointing on things with a mouse and clicking making things more tedious? I don't get it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How is pointing on things with a mouse and clicking making things more tedious? I don't get it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
how is it not?
I've been pointing with mouse my whole life. There is nothing boring than just a game based on shooting dudes with a mouse.
Look at uncharted 4. There is a lot of shooting but it's not just about that.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
how is it not?
I've been pointing with mouse my whole life. There is nothing boring than just a game based on shooting dudes with a mouse.

People are yet to invent a more precise pointing device. I don't know about you but when I play game where shooting is involved, I want that precision.

I just finished replaying Max Payne trilogy. I don't know how this game can be enjoyed at higher difficulty with a controller. And to be perfectly honest I don't want to know.

Look at uncharted 4. There is a lot of shooting but it's not just about that.

Yes, it's also about on rail combining sections with bird shit covered ledges and complete lack of exploration and world interactivity. Shooting is actually quite good and I can't wait to replay in on PC next year.

The moral of the story is: some people enjoy apples, some people enjoy oranges.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Honest summary:
Crap controls.
Amazing visuals.
Good story.
The most believable and living game world ever in gaming.
The best written main character ever in gaming.
It was my game of the year and I tried to replay it on PC later but couldn’t adapt to the crappy controls a second time.
It’s a classic I’ll never forget and one of my most special playthroughs ever but I doubt I’ll ever replay it.

"played for 20 minutes" Sorry but the moment i read this i knew it was yet another opinion that holds absolutely no weight whatsoever.

Reminds me of steam reviews by ppl with so little game time.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Didn’t enjoy the game till played on pc where I could cheat and get a fuck ton of money (could do it on console to but was time consuming). It’s a fun but the start is boring as fuck and the looting takes to much time.

taylor34

Neo Member
It's a game with a great story but makes you waste endless time riding between places, making it super boring 50% of the actual game playing. Actual game mechanics are ps3/360 era. Like it's a good game, but not great because the developer doesn't value your time.

Aside from some control and pacing issues , it's the greatest game ever made , the story , the characters. The world , the ambience , it's unmatched and will be for a very long time also Arthur is just wonderful probably the best protsganist in a videogame

Shut0wen

Tbh i have a love hate relationship with the game, theres a part where you burn down a house, took probs about 20 hours for me to get there, its an insanely good mission and moves the story forward alot, after the mission i havnt touched the gane since, the beef i have with the gane is that its so long there are alot of missions which are just purely for character development but theres loads

Annnnd even though I spent some time writing about how I didn’t care for the game so much, I’m going to reinstall it and play it through again. If Rockstar could introduce a less laboured control scheme it would elevate the game to new heights for me.

Excess

I can see why people can't continue it as it takes a lot of your time and patience but I think it's worth it in the end.
When I first played it, I probably spent a good 2 ½ months locked in my room playing it to 100%. My roommate at the time said to me, "Dude, I didn't realize you were that into video games." I'm not. Just this game, though. :pie_ssmiling:

Trilobit

For me, the game is much more of an experience rather than a "game". Sometimes I would just ride my horse around and listen to the ambiance for an hour. Sometimes I'd go fishing or hunting and then set up camp so that I could wake up and make some coffee the next morning. I bet you'd find that extremely boring and wonder why the fuck I find enjoyment in that. Well, sorry, I can't explain it, partner.

wYgUvKQ.gif

Very funny how the vapour follows the mug down. :messenger_smiling:

By the way, is it possible to free roam from start? I don't like games where you have to shoot people, but I'd love to use it as a wilderness simulator and just go around relaxing.

Last edited:
Lol you played it for 20 minutes....

Rdr2 isnt exactly the type of game where you have a full picture of how good it is straight from the start.

Its like playing Kingdom hearts and saying you dont like it because you've only gotten to destiny islands.

Or saying you don't like the witcher 3 despite only reaching white orchard.

Or hell, watching the lord of the rings and only getting to the shire in fellowship lol
Some things are like...a journey man.

Last edited:

Excess

Very funny how the vapour follows the mug down. :messenger_smiling:

By the way, is it possible to free roam from start? I don't like games where you have to shoot people, but I'd love to use it as a wilderness simulator and just go around relaxing.
I don't think so, unless you were to buy the PC version and insert a complete game save from another player.

Fools idol

Banned
It's a special game for me.

My wife got pregnant around 8 months before release. We were playing it together while she rested up on the softa most days, being 8-9 months pregnant is uncomfortable as fuck so we pretty much spent our days playing, chatting about this and our future parent life.

It was just fantastic. The level of immersion, and more importantly the story being good enough to carry a spectators attention as well was great. I agree the moment to moment gameplay is not for everyone, (and controls certainly leave room for improvement) but I personally loved it.

Preparing yourself for a long hunt in the deep mountain wilderness, grabbing supplies, bullets and just the level of detail along the way was magnificent. I spend 200 hours in this world collecting every last scrap of content and trophies. There are very few games that I put so much time into while my wife was watching for the majority of it too.

We both cried at the ending, and believe it a not, the day we completed the game was the day she went into labour. It was pretty fucking epic to be honest. If I was a bedwetting prick I would have called my kid Arthur LOL. Great shit really.

TLDR, I would say stick it out. Once you get like 4-5 hours in through all the shit opening up the story really gets going and you will be loving it.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Story is the main focus but very depressing. Gameplay is amazing though. It's one of the best looking games out there. It's definitely slowpaced the whole time.

The story will drag at one point and it may feel like a chore once you're at a certain point in the game.

I thought I was going to feel like a badass cowboy bandit but if I'm being honest, more times I felt helpless and couldn't feel anything but bad for the main character.

For someone who gave up on the game for being too slow. Chances are you will end up hating the game.

AJUMP23

RDR2 is a beautiful game with excellent characters that change and grow through the course of the story. All in all I think it is one of the best stories ever told in a video game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
RDR2 is a beautiful game with excellent characters that change and grow through the course of the story. All in all I think it is one of the best stories ever told in a video game.
I also love how I can just get lost in the world, at a much simpler time. Hard, rugged, rough times for survival, but yet still... simpler.

They did a fantastic job of giving you the feeling of being pulled into the world.

Last edited:
Just know that you're not alone. In my opinion you should go and play RDR1 as it's a much better game. Arthur is a very boring character. And if you've played the first game you know how the second will end.

RDR2 is so sick. The world is incredible but the story sucks. I had much more fun making a character that looked like my self and living in the world in online mode.

Almost exactly the same amount of time I gave the game. After the first major encounter and escorting the group I was done with the game. Snails pace usual walking simulator stuff. It looks pretty but it's not a fun game. YMMV. The controls are a joke e.g. searching a hideout is like putting away laundry simulator with shit controls.

I have felt the same way on console for Witcher III and Cyberpunk. They're clearly better on KB+M. The devs should be ashamed with such controls.

Last edited:

qiqiqiiq

I loved the first Red Dead Redemption, I finished the 2nd one but it was a chore to do that, all the realism made every side activity super tedious and boring, the story was great but to me it was not a fun game, I specially hated how a lot of the story missions left you in the other side of the map and you had to ride a long distance to start the next story mission due to the lack of a decent fast travel system.

Top Bottom