• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So about that mysterious stranger in Red Dead

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
is he God, or is he Death or an angel? what are the theories behind him

I assume he is God, because of a context clue, when John says to him "Damm you", the man replies "yes, many have"

maxresdefault.jpg

hope he returns for RDR 2

Ropestump

Neo Member
To say "God damn (Insert subject)", is a request TO God, not directed AT God. I interpreted him as Death, or the Devil, what have you.

Regardless, I agree. Hope he returns.

iconmaster

Banned
Death wouldn't be interested in tempting John Marston with alternate courses of action. Death would just... want him dead.

Most likely the Devil, though we're never supposed to be 100% sure -- and that's the fun of it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought he was the devil. It was one of those things that has been in my mind ever since.

It makes sense to me, meeting the devil in the wilderness.

I'd say the devil, the strange man goes on about being an accountant of sorts, to me that possibly refers to the accounting business of souls. Hes not death and I never got the vibe he was god.

heres the videos.

Last edited:

Ridcully

My understanding had been that he's the devil. Most of the scenarios given to Marston seemed like deliberate attempts at temptation.

Makes sense that hes the devil as he provides John with side missions all based on doing the right or wrong things, tempting him to do the wrong things. He mentions John will be judged for his actions, definitely the devil.

DanielJr82

But in the last encounter when he says "Yes, this will be a good spot", it's the area in which
John is shot dead
, as if he decided that this is where it will happen. I see arguments for the devil because of the temptations, but him deciding his fate and his funeral-like outfit gives me the impression he's death.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I thought he was the CIA.

I was annoyed by him so I hogtied him and left him on the edge of the high cliff where he slowly slid down and fell into the cactus bushes by time I had made it down and around to watch and have plausible deniability.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If anyone has seen the HBO series "Carnivale", the reference of "Management said so" reminds me of this. I sure hope Rockstar does it again.

INC

I was annoyed by him so I hogtied him and left him on the edge of the high cliff where he slowly slid down and fell into the cactus bushes by time I had made it down and around to watch and have plausible deniability.

Kinda my thinking, government agent pushing his own agenda

Hmm never though of him that way, although I may not be remembering him fully. I just thought he was some weirdo who you kept bumping into in the desert.

I always thought he was the Devil, the black suit reminds me of the Stephen King short story "The Man in The Black Suit" which is about a boy who meets the Devil who is in the form of a man wearing, you guessed it, a black suit.

Maaaaaaybe he could be Death, but he's certainly not God, the black suit, the generally spooky vibe of him, I'm frankly perplexed why someone would think he's God.

But anyway, it's one of the best elements of RDR's story, you might think supernatural elements would be out of place, but it feels like a folklore tale, the story of the gunfighter who met the Devil, and is in keeping with the western theme of the game.

Shifty

Actually he isn't. You can kill him before triggering the cutscene.
Marston shoots him twice in the last cutscene of his sidequest, and the bullets do nothing. I'm inclined to believe that over mechanical NPC semantics.

Last edited:

ickythingz

Banned

LOL

I assumed he was a demon of sorts roaming the wild west and took a small interest in John who was doing likewise.

Top Bottom