• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So....anyone playing Sims 4?

RavageX

I picked it up from Best buy for $23 or so with the GC membership on PS4.

Haven't messed with it much but it seems kinda complicated, watched gf create a Sim then get lost on making a house 😆

Typical EA/Sims stuff, they have several packs to buy in the PS store already....

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Game is four years old, so not really a surprise that there’s DLC.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Yeah, it's pretty cool. I've said for a long time that The Sims 4 is more like a second Sims 2 sequel than a followup to The Sims 3. Both 3 and 4 have certain advantages over the other, so I have a tendency to switch between the two whenever I'm in a Sims mood.
Sure wish we'd get an update (or a new game, fine) that just merged the best of the two.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Got it for my gf for Christmas and while we like it, the interface is super complicated and the txt is small when youre sitting more than 6 feet from the tv.

Just bought the pets xpac yesterday. Still fun in small doses.

Got all 4 xpacs and a few game packs. No stuff packs tho.

Best advice is pick up the packs @50% off. Full price isn't worth it IMO.

Edit: Correction on the small doses. I played 8 hours yesterday. =O

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was excited about this because my wife loves The Sims. Then I told her how they're releasing it on PS4 and she thought it was the dumbest thing ever.

According to my wife EA asks for way too much money for their DLC. I saw the list on Origins once and it's quite a lot. On top of that they can't include anything after so many years go by?

She even Googled Sims 5 and got nothing but a YouTube video making fun of having to pay to put a shirt on.

I bought it last month.

It's actually pretty great and the controls work really well. They take getting used to for a few hours but after that its super natural. It's actually pretty fun and high spec settings like the PC one.

trugs

Neo Member
I bought it a couple years ago for my partner. She seemed to enjoy it, but I think it was quite buggy. She picked it up against just last week and while she still enjoys it, it's still quite buggy (she's played all the previous Sims games and says 4 is the buggiest).

RavageX

I was looking at the vampires pack on sale and trying to figure out if it was worth it, opinions?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wife wanted it after being a huge Sim fan on PC for so long. Drove me crazy about getting it.

Got it her on xbox.

She hates it.

The controls are awful, as in, mind bendingly bad. I have no idea why they went with these controls but I have to agree, its like they were made by somebody who hasn't played a game with a pad before? It doesn't help they have done next to zero to make it work on a console, its pretty much the exact PC game being played with a pad... Plus there's no X patch, which is shameful.

I would avoid.

Aztorian

Played it on PC through Origin Access. It's fun for a while but if you want the full experience for any Sims game it's gonna cost ya. Why does The Sims always get away with expensive DLC that gets you like 4 new outfits and 10 new pieces of furniture?

No.

After buying all the expansions for The Sims 1 and The Sims 2, I told myself that I would only buy The Sims again if all the features that they added to the expansions are included in the base game of the sequel.

Needless to say, I have not spent much time with a franchise since.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I was looking forward to this when I heard it was coming to Xbox but the amount of DLC for this game is putting me off.

Bluecondor

I had a $25 Gamestop gift card, so I tried the PS4 version. I was lukewarm on Sims games from playing them on PC in the past, but I always liked the concept and there is a lot of content in the game + dlcs.

The PS4 version is almost unplayable IMO, as the controls are incredibly tedious on the PS4. I tried it for about two hours and then returned it to Gamestop the next day.

Setsuna

Wife wanted it after being a huge Sim fan on PC for so long. Drove me crazy about getting it.

Got it her on xbox.

She hates it.

The controls are awful, as in, mind bendingly bad. I have no idea why they went with these controls but I have to agree, its like they were made by somebody who hasn't played a game with a pad before? It doesn't help they have done next to zero to make it work on a console, its pretty much the exact PC game being played with a pad... Plus there's no X patch, which is shameful.

I would avoid.

I guess you didnt look in the camera options

GravityKitten

Neo Member
According to my wife EA asks for way too much money for their DLC. I saw the list on Origins once and it's quite a lot. On top of that they can't include anything after so many years go by?

The DLC packs are way too expensive and not as worthwhile as the ones that came out for Sims 3 but that's just my opinion as a more recent fan of the game.

I think it's neat the game has come to consoles but I could never play it without mods.
There's just too many little things that get on your nerves over time.

Rellik

As someone who actually enjoyed the console Sims games in the past, it's disappointing to hear these reactions.

I feel this is a lock for PS+ too. EA will see it as a good way to try and get some more DLC sales by giving the base game away.

I'll try it then.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I guess you didnt look in the camera options

Oh, wow, why did I not think of that? My wife having put hundreds of hours into the PC release, us both being gamers, and me being a designer myself, how could I not have thought of something so basic?

Oh wait...

HOSKINGJ

Neo Member
I know someone who loved the original and was interested in playing again. I did a lot of research into this vs 3 as there seems to be a bit of a debate concerning the two games.

Ended up going with 4 as it was the right blend of simplicity (jumping all the way from the original) plus I really appreciated the visuals.

They're loving it and I'm looking forward to playing it this year.

Setsuna

Oh, wow, why did I not think of that? My wife having put hundreds of hours into the PC release, us both being gamers, and me being a designer myself, how could I not have thought of something so basic?

Oh wait...

Well, how can the camera be specifically bad in the sims 4, if the camera option specifically changes it to exactly how it was in the previous game?

RavageX

I think I'll give the game a proper shot after work today, been playing XCOM 2 and the expansion War of the Chosen and it's been surprisingly hard. Have had to evac several times.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Well, how can the camera be specifically bad in the sims 4, if the camera option specifically changes it to exactly how it was in the previous game?

Where exactly did I say the camera...?

The whole controls system and UI are a mess and not really tailored for gamepad use.

chemicals

Yeah I really didn't even know they had put Sims 4 on PS4 until I read this thread today. All I have to ask is: why not play it on PC (i.e. as it was meant to be played)? I know every game is on PS4 but with this one they're stretching it.

admartian

Yeah I really didn't even know they had put Sims 4 on PS4 until I read this thread today. All I have to ask is: why not play it on PC (i.e. as it was meant to be played)? I know every game is on PS4 but with this one they're stretching it.
Dunno man I'd love to play Total War series on PS4. Just don't have the spare to get a gaming PC so games like this make sense on PS4 especially if KB & M support are added (which technically should work as they work when plugged in anyway).

RavageX

I had never played a Sims game on console, since it was cheap I decided to give it a go.

Plus I'm rarely at an actual pc these days.

weevles

I picked the game up on Xbone, but couldn't get used to trying to navigate the interface with a controller. Ended up getting the PC version instead, and that's pretty fun, although not as good as Sims 3 was (is?).

Rellik

Because not everyone has a PC.

When I played Sims on the PS2, it was because of that very reason. It was the only way I could play the game. Nowadays, I have a gaming PC, so I have that luxury choice, but not everyone is you and me.

BRB I just realized how I missed The Sims..

giphy.gif

Hudo

I still play the first The Sims. It might be just my nostalgia about it. But for me, it's still the ultimate "feel good" game. The Sims 2 is awesome as well. The Sims 3 and 4 never clicked for me (not saying that 3 and 4 ar bad, they're just not for me).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i actually just started The Sims 4 yesterday . i have origin access premier so gave it a shot. the tutorial is not so great. i was enjoying it but it doesn't do a good job of explaining things. i got stuck in the tutorial so stopped playing.

Last edited:
I just started playing (EA Access, because of M+KB support) and the first day before work, my oven caught fire and my Sim died.
Fuck my life.

Will start again, when i got over this.

Bought the game more than a year ago, but almost never touched
Being an old, big the Sims fan ( countless hours played in The Sims 2 PC, sims 3 PC, the sims bustin out ngc, and the sims island ds, fantastic games) this was weird
Then, three days ago I downloaded it again on my ps4
Jesus, I'M LOVING IT
It confirms like the usual drug as ever, I dropped everything else I was playing, and got sucked all the weekend in sims 4 lol
Ok, it's pretty empty, too much stuff is reserved to dlc and I Won't ever buy it, but what a fun! It's really good, although on PS4 is a nightmare to play, I stop only for it being unconfortable, even when I'd play more

I'd want this to come out on switch so much, I'd play the hell out of it on portable, laying in bed while watching tv

I'm playing a sim who's basically working as a freelancer 90% of the time, it's the most rewarding job ever haha, it's like 3050 simoleons a day, for each work, you accept one, study its details, create a logo and bam! Money rains

Shame there's not a cop or military classic career anymore, always played like these in sims 2, awesome uniforms too, Loved the sim city police department one and the service car

Aside for it being unconfortable for me, I noticed many quality of life improvements, like the multitasking sims who can now do many tasks at once, fullfilling the needs automatically by clicking in the needs' circle, better menus, faster loadings etc
Also, strong creation system, and The personality system is outstanding

Last edited:
Top Bottom