• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently my 3ds XL was stolen. I am currently attempting to get my games back.

hlhbk

So I hadn't played my 3ds in a couple months, and decided to wait to start playing until I got my hands on a new 3ds xl to start again. I bought the system and my XL is nowhere to be found. I have literally torn apart my apartment trying to find it. The last time I had it was a sandwhich place. First thing that comes to my mind is I don't want to lose all of the digital games I had since I had like 20 of them.

I called up Nintendo, explained the situation. I was asked for a bunch of info including the serial number of my other system which at the time I didn't have. The guy said they could transfer the games for me and that I will receive an email with instructions.

I then realized that the serial numbers are printed on the box the system came in. I am going to call tomorrow and give that to them. I have two takes on all of this:

1. Getting stuff stolen sucks
1. It is fucking ridiculous that in 2015 we are having to deal with our games being tied to a system when fucking Valve has allowed you to log into any pc and download your games since 2004!

Needless to say I am super nervous about what will happen since I had over $250 in games on there. Has anyone else been down this road? What was your experience?

Trike

Thankfully I have never lost my 3DS or any Nintendo system. But that is the risk you run when you buy a Nintendo system. Hopefully by 2025 they will have caught up with techniques established in 2005.

JSoup

Banned
The guy said they could transfer the games for me and that I will receive an email with instructions.

This is a step up from a few months ago. Mine was stolen and I was told "haha, fuck no" on the phone. The guy did say they could brick the system to as to fuck over the the thief, so there is that.

Who

Banned
I was in the exact same position as you OP. It will take maybe a week but you will get your games back.

hlhbk

This is a step up from a few months ago. Mine was stolen and I was told "haha, fuck no" on the phone. The guy did say they could brick the system to as to fuck over the the thief, so there is that.

I worked in a call center for 10 years. If you make enough noise you can always get what you want. I will escalate as far up as I have to if it comes to that.

You will get your stuff back. Now they just ask for your basic info, NNID and serial number. A couple of years ago you had to file a police report :p

I did that (with the police report) and I had my games transferred to a new 3DS in no time. I did it recently with a Wii U that broke to transfer the NNID to the new one and same deal, transferred without any major issues.

It's a cumbersome approach but don't worry, you'll get your stuff back since you already proved you're the owner of the content.

hlhbk

So, you have actually no proof that it was stolen and maybe just forgot it somewhere.

That honestly has on bearing on this conversation. I should be able to buy 4 3ds's if I want to and have my games on all of them at the same time. That being said I am 100% sure I don't have it in my possession anymore.

Labrys

So, you have actually no proof that it was stolen and maybe just forgot it somewhere.

Either way you should be able to transfer your info? My boyfriend was misinformed about the transfer process and left his 2DS at gamestop without transferring the games to his new one, and they did the transfer process and he was able to download his games again. Not stolen, but just not in his possession.

//ARCANUM

That honestly has on bearing on this conversation. I should be able to buy 4 3ds's if I want to and have my games on all of them at the same time. That being said I am 100% sure I don't have it in my possession anymore.

Well you actually listed 2 points in your OP (both labeled as 1.). And 1 of the points was that getting stuff stolen sucks. Thus opening the conversation to that point in addition to the other. The poster's point was that you don't actually know that it was stolen, you could have just left it there or elsewhere. Sucks to be without your 3DS, and I agree that nintendo's system is arcane. I'm just saying that you opened that part of the conversation too. So don't get upset when someone comments on it.

TI82

Banned
Its incredibly frustrating, just like most things Nintendo does.

Like... Why would a tech company be so opposed to moving forward?

urge26

Nintendo is such a backwards company. Couldn't agree more as to why my games are tied to a system and not my account.

tebunker

Banned
So I hadn't played my 3ds in a couple months, and decided to wait to start playing until I got my hands on a new 3ds xl to start again. I bought the system and my XL is nowhere to be found. I have literally torn apart my apartment trying to find it. The last time I had it was a sandwhich place. First thing that comes to my mind is I don't want to lose all of the digital games I had since I had like 20 of them.

I called up Nintendo, explained the situation. I was asked for a bunch of info including the serial number of my other system which at the time I didn't have. The guy said they could transfer the games for me and that I will receive an email with instructions.

I then realized that the serial numbers are printed on the box the system came in. I am going to call tomorrow and give that to them. I have two takes on all of this:

1. Getting stuff stolen sucks
1. It is fucking ridiculous that in 2015 we are having to deal with our games being tied to a system when fucking Valve has allowed you to log into any pc and download your games since 2004!

Needless to say I am super nervous about what will happen since I had over $250 in games on there. Has anyone else been down this road? What was your experience?

No one thinks it's nuts that you haven't seen your 3ds for a couple of months and didn't think anything of it?

Yes I agree that Nintendo's current account system needs more improvements, but they are heading in the right direction. The NNID being the first step, they just never built a system for have a license active on more than one console. They literally didn't build it in to their system OSes.

Hopefully it is rectified by their next machine, and it sounds like it will be. I expect that we will see something akin to what PSN does now by allowing you to have a game on 2 machines simultaneously. I miss the old days of being to have more than that.

I think the root cause of these issues is that the software engineers who made this stuff just never got direction and never thought of it themselves to build in hooks for updates like this. You can see it in how the WII OS was never changed. Its amazing what they've been able to do with 3DS and WiiU. I don't think their engineers were ready to go from a very closed box that stayed the same from launch to retirement to the world of ever evolving firmware. It is entirely possible that they did or still do have several managers who fight these kinds of things because the company is so conservative.

maxcriden

That's really frustrating, I'm really sorry to hear it. One other suggestion if the serial number thing doesn't work, is to have them look up your CN account so they can verify your digital purchases that way (if you have linked your 3DS to your CN account).

Derpyduck

Banned
Call this phone number: 855-703-8783. If you call the general Nintendo number, 800- 255-3700, you'll get nothing but automated messages.

I got my digital games back within 24 hours of calling. You'll need to know your Nintendo ID, a credit card number that you used at least once on the account, and the email address associated with that Nintendo ID. Don't take my helping you as a sign that I in anyway approve of Nintendo's moronic account system. =)

Look completely underneath the couch or loveseat. I've found treasures on the floor under a couch. These handhelds should have something close to a find my iphone/ipad feature.

I've placed my iPad in some strange spots at times and always worried I left it at lunch spot or something. Find my ipad allows you to make your ipad make a beacon signal and it's pretty easy to find after that.

Geedorah

OP, you can find your serial on the club.nintedo product list under your account details.

That is, if you registered the 3DS on club.nintendo...

hlhbk

An update on this. I called back into their main number today and gave them my serial number for my original 3ds xl and the lady said they already had it even though I had never registered it on the CN site. They said it could take up to 5-7 days due to how busy they are to get my games back.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's a less convenient method than others but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I'm assuming next generation they'll make it easier. I imagine there's an issue with the 3DS since it started off with friend codes before moving to NNIDs. I imagine they're not interoperable, so next gen should fix that.

Its incredibly frustrating, just like most things Nintendo does.

Like... Why would a tech company be so opposed to moving forward?

It's frustrating to be robbed.

A phone call to transfer your games to a new system may be a bit unpleasing for some but it is not a big deal.

Nonetheless Nintendo should make it easier.

blackjaw

I had a backpack get stolen many years ago while flying...checked it in one gate when the plane filled up and had no overhead room and it "disappeared".

Nintendo wouldn't replace about $90 (3-4) games on my system without a police report...something that was too much of a hassle to do. My insurance company helped me out though and gave me full value of my iPad, books and 3ds with games.

Fuck Nintendo and their backwards policy, I have refused to buy digital on any of their systems since. I know they are more lenient these days, still don't trust them.

hlhbk

It's a less convenient method than others but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I'm assuming next generation they'll make it easier. I imagine there's an issue with the 3DS since it started off with friend codes before moving to NNIDs. I imagine they're not interoperable, so next gen should fix that.

It is as bad if not worse than what everyone makes it out to be. You are actually defending this garbage? There is 100% no reason I can't in this situation sign onto another 3ds and sign in with my NNID and download my games without having to get Nintendo involved.

jwhit28

It is as bad if not worse than what everyone makes it out to be. You are actually defending this garbage? There is 100% no reason I can't in this situation sign onto another 3ds and sign in with my NNID and download my games without having to get Nintendo involved.

I prefer this to Nintendo trying to force some online authentication to prevent game sharing. Ideally they will just hand the device activation/deactivation over to us like Sony did with PS3.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Sorry to hear that, OP. You mentioned it in one of the follow-up replies, but basically -- don't give up until you get the games back. Nintendo, in general, has better customer care than Microsoft or Nintendo, so if you need to, just keep escalating. And to the people lecturing the OP about losing his 3DS -- that is a very childish stance. Point is, Nintendo needs a more customer-centric way to manage digital downloads. This is 2015, for fucksake.

jimi_dini

I should be able to buy 4 3ds's if I want to and have my games on all of them at the same time.

at the same time? No, you shouldn't. You bought 1 copy/license of the game, not 4.

That's like buying 1 physical copy of a game and wanting to use it on 4 different devices at the same time. Without piracy that's not possible.

A thief stealing stuff sucks. But I seriously can't understand some of you people. "Getting a police report is stupid". Well, at least in my country insurance won't pay anything without a police report. Will you also complain about your insurance wanting a police report? Nintendo is effectively doing something like an insurance is doing. Handheld is stolen. Games are effectively stolen. If those were physical games, they simply would be gone. So some asshole steals stuff worth $500 and you can't be bothered to tell it the police? I mean I would be pissed at the thief, not at insurance wanting some sort of proof. Some act as if this happens every month or so.

I'm just imagining a thief grabbing literally everything from your appartment and then the victim complaining that it's too much work to report it to the police and then complaining about insurance not paying.

If that was the only issue the Wii U wouldn't be handled in the exact same way.

But yes it seems this generation they stuck a login screen onto their current account system and called it a day (which was always had a server side record, provided you knew the serial number).

blackjaw

at the same time? No, you shouldn't. You bought 1 copy/license of the game, not 4.

That's like buying 1 physical copy of a game and wanting to use it on 4 different devices at the same time. Without piracy that's not possible.

A thief stealing stuff sucks. But I seriously can't understand some of you people. "Getting a police report is stupid". Well, at least in my country insurance won't pay anything without a police report. Will you also complain about your insurance wanting a police report? Nintendo is effectively doing something like an insurance is doing. Handheld is stolen. Games are effectively stolen. If those were physical games, they simply would be gone. So some asshole steals stuff worth $500 and you can't be bothered to tell it the police? I mean I would be pissed at the thief, not at insurance wanting some sort of proof. Some act as if this happens every month or so.

I'm just imagining a thief grabbing literally everything from your appartment and then the victim complaining that it's too much work to report it to the police and then complaining about insurance not paying.

Someone steals my iPad i can redownload all of my apps/games on another ipad. Someone steals my Vita I can redownload all my games on another vita. Someone steals my 3DS or Wii U and I have to get a police report to get all my games back on another system.

How is that ok?

Rocky

Banned

I can buy a PS1 game on PSN and play it on 3 DIFFERENT DEVICES, my PS3, Vita and PSP. Likewise, I buy something on the google store I can use it on several devices I log into. Same with Steam or the Windows store.

Nintendo's online is archaic and terrible and not very consumer friendly compared to similar services.

Valnen

Maybe you should check out how any other console works, or Steam. Nintendo is behind the times, and it's indefensible.

If someone steals my PC, I don't need to call Valve to play my games on a new PC.

jimi_dini

Someone steals my iPad i can redownload all of my apps/games on another ipad. Someone steals my Vita I can redownload all my games on another vita. Someone steals my 3DS or Wii U and I have to get a police report to get all my games back on another system.

How is that ok?

No, you actually don't need a police report for Nintendo.

But you have to contact them and it seems that's too much to ask. So if you had insurance, you would complain that you have to contact insurance at all to get anything back. That's literally what's happening.

Like I said - if those were physical games, I guess it would be too much to ask to go to police and do anything about it. "Fuck, someone stole $500. But wait, I am supposed to do anything like call someone? Nah, that's too much trouble. It's only $500, not a problem at all. I have insurance, but I can't be bothered to do anything. Well searching for a webpage and stuff is fine, but calling someone? Nah, too much work".

btw. Sony let's you only deactivate once every 6 months and even that's some work. I definitely wouldn't know where to go to do it. Anyway so in case for example you sold/traded in your Vita without deactivating it and then a month later your new Vita gets stolen, you would have to go through the exact same steps as well. You can of course for example download "your" games on PS4, but without deactivation you get to experience dat superb always-online DRM. Maybe you prefer always-online DRM for 6 months before being able to solve the problem. I would simply call Sony. I guess that's weird.

shiyrley

Banned
Do you honestly think that if someone loses his/her 3DS, he or she does not have the right to get her/his games back when getting another 3DS? Like, really? Of course the games would stop working on the old console.

Rocky

Banned
Do you honestly think that if someone loses his/her 3DS, he or she does not have the right to get her/his games back when getting another 3DS? Like, really? Of course the games would stop working on the old console.

Well, I suppose he could still have his old system and play his games on it, as long as he doesn't connect it to the internet. Now he has his games on two systems.

sensui-tomo

No, you actually don't need a police report for Nintendo.

But you have to contact them and it seems that's too much to ask. So if you had insurance, you would complain that you have to contact insurance at all to get anything back. That's literally what's happening.

Like I said - if those were physical games, I guess it would be too much to ask to go to police and do anything about it. "Fuck, someone stole $500. But wait, I am supposed to do anything like call someone? Nah, that's too much trouble. It's only $500, not a problem at all. I have insurance, but I can't be bothered to do anything. Well searching for a webpage and stuff is fine, but calling someone? Nah, too much work".

btw. Sony let's you only deactivate once every 6 months and even that's some work. I definitely wouldn't know where to go to do it. Anyway so in case for example you sold/traded in your Vita without deactivating it and then a month later your new Vita gets stolen, you would have to go through the exact same steps as well. You can of course for example download "your" games on PS4, but without deactivation you get to experience dat superb always-online DRM. Maybe you prefer always-online DRM for 6 months before being able to solve the problem. I would simply call Sony. I guess that's weird.

you can have 2 vitas active, you know right? so that kinda kills the 6 month point . unless he gets robbed yet again within buying a new vita then thats a case of bad bad luck.

jimi_dini

you can have 2 vitas active, you know right? so that kinda kills the 6 month point . unless he gets robbed yet again within buying a new vita then thats a case of bad bad luck.

Maybe the guy owns 2 vitas and one gets stolen? (btw. all Sony handhelds count, so if I had 1 PSP and 1 Vita - this actually is quite plausible simply because Vita isn't fully backward compatible with PSP, the activation limit is reached) For PS4 it's definitely only one. For PS3 it was 5, but was turned down to 2, because assholes abused the system. The 6 months are also caused by those assholes. And that's also the cause why Nintendo requires a call. It's that simple. But I blame those assholes. And I blame thieves. I can understand Sony for doing what they did. And I can understand Nintendo for doing what they are doing atm. Sure, they could allow it via web and I'm sure they will at some point. But there is going to be a time limit, just like the Sony one. And I also understand that.

If someone steals my PC, I don't need to call Valve to play my games on a new PC.

I don't use Steam, but a quick google search revealed that at least some games have a 5 computer activation limit. It's "3rd party DRM", but this shouldn't matter because it's still Steam. And 5 computers doesn't mean 5 different computers. OS reinstallations also count (not uncommon on Windows). Hardware changes count too. Couldn't find information how fast installations expire. Maybe never. I also couldn't find information about what to do if that limit is reached.

Rocky

Banned
Maybe the guy owns 2 vitas and one gets stolen? (btw. all Sony handhelds count, so if I had 1 PSP and 1 Vita - this actually is quite plausible simply because Vita isn't fully backward compatible with PSP, the activation limit is reached) For PS4 it's definitely only one. For PS3 it was 5, but was turned down to 2, because assholes abused the system. The 6 months are also caused by those assholes. And that's also the cause why Nintendo requires a call.

I don't use Steam, but a quick google search revealed that at least some games have a 5 computer activation limit. It's "3rd party DRM", but this shouldn't matter because it's still Steam. And 5 computers doesn't mean 5 different computers. OS reinstallations also count (not uncommon on Windows). Couldn't find information how fast installations expire. Maybe never. I also couldn't find information about what to do if that limit is reached.

Actually, you can have 2 PS4 systems, one as your primary and your allowed to sign into another PS4 as a secondary.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I hope your troubles are resolved, OP.

As for Nintendo, I can't fathom how some people insist on defending tooth and nail their archaic policies and practices.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not defending anything. People on here are always so quick to jump to the gun when anyone says anything that doesn't follow the same beat. It's really a turn off to post here when people assume you're saying something you aren't, despite being very clear.

All I said was people here make it seem like you're fucked if you ever lose your device. You're not, Nintendo's method is just less convenient than everyone else's.

There's always a reason, no company does things just because or to screw customers over. All I said is it's likely a technical issue across platforms that makes it difficult to simply login, if you look at Nintendo's current steps and comments all signs point towards a unified system next generation.

Gleethor

I don't think anyone is saying that their account system is good enough, because it isn't. It's more of a hassle than it should be, and all signs are pointing to Nintendo fixing it next gen. But I think many of us just don't understand how people can refuse to download a single NES game because they're afraid they might have to make a phone call one day in the unlikely event that something happens to their system. Like, you're free to not download things on principle if you want, but these days it's not anywhere close to the gamble it's made out to be (in the US anyway, from my own experience).

Rocky

Banned
I don't think anyone is saying that their account system is good enough, because it isn't. It's more of a hassle than it should be, and all signs are pointing to Nintendo fixing it next gen. But I think many of us just don't understand how people can refuse to download a single NES game because they're afraid they might have to make a phone call one day in the unlikely event that something happens to their system. Like, you're free to not download things on principle if you want, but these days it's not anywhere close to the gamble it's made out to be (in the US anyway, from my own experience).

I refuse because they cost $5 each to download. I've never paid for a VC game, all the ones I have were gotten with CN coins and rewards. Though I have paid the $1.50 upgrade fee to the Wii U, because I think that is a fair price for a NES game.

Blue-kun

Maybe the guy owns 2 vitas and one gets stolen? (btw. all Sony handhelds count, so if I had 1 PSP and 1 Vita - this actually is quite plausible simply because Vita isn't fully backward compatible with PSP, the activation limit is reached) For PS4 it's definitely only one. For PS3 it was 5, but was turned down to 2, because assholes abused the system. The 6 months are also caused by those assholes. And that's also the cause why Nintendo requires a call. It's that simple. But I blame those assholes. And I blame thieves. I can understand Sony for doing what they did. And I can understand Nintendo for doing what they are doing atm. Sure, they could allow it via web and I'm sure they will at some point. But there is going to be a time limit, just like the Sony one. And I also understand that.

I don't use Steam, but a quick google search revealed that at least some games have a 5 computer activation limit. It's "3rd party DRM", but this shouldn't matter because it's still Steam. And 5 computers doesn't mean 5 different computers. OS reinstallations also count (not uncommon on Windows). Hardware changes count too. Couldn't find information how fast installations expire. Maybe never. I also couldn't find information about what to do if that limit is reached.

Maybe a meteorite fell down on top of one of his Vita and he couldn't deactivate it from the system, so he had to use the website. Then, two weeks later, Sakon jumped out of his 3DS while he was enjoying Majora's Mask 3D and stole his new Vita, and now he's out of options and has to call Sony. What tough luck!

Like, I get it that you don't think 'having to call Nintendo to get your stuff back is bad', but most systems nowadays offer a way for the user to get back their stuff again without the need to contact their costumer support. And that's the thing. You have options, and the first of the bunch doesn't involve calling back to Sony or Microsoft or Valve whatsoever. The system is designed to facilitate the user getting back his things without depending on other people. If that, for any reason, doesn't work, THEN you can go and call whatever company's customer support you need. And that's how it should be, and what people expect of online services in 2015.

I appreciate customer support existing and it apparently actually solving issues if you need to talk to them, but that should be seen as a last resort, not the first (and only) option avaible to the user. Especially since, as you know, not everyone lives in the US, and not every country where you can buy a 3DS has its own Nintendo customer service for you to call them, which makes this whole contacting them thing even worse for a good chunk of folks out there. The less often we have to do it, the better.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Actually, you can have 2 PS4 systems, one as your primary and your allowed to sign into another PS4 as a secondary.

On PS4, you are bound to always-online DRM on a secondary system just to have access and play your library's games, even for sp experiences.

The way the (archaic) 3DS OS and digital purchases work, would mean that you could still have all of your games on the "stolen/lost" system as long as you don't go online... which honestly for a big chunk of people wouldn't be the end of the world (I think since launch I've played the system online like.. 10 times maybe?)
I've seen plenty selling their consoles with hundreds' worth of digital games for a good price as "non-online" systems where from that point on the buyer will simply fall back onto buying carts. Seller then got to have all of his already-sold games on the new system and his NNID back.

Lucumo

What? Are you sure your quote is right because I wrote nothing of that sort.

hlhbk

Quit excusing the terrible fucking policy. Again Valve has been doing this since 2004, EA has had an account system in place the same as Steam since Origin launched.

hlhbk

Why should we be waiting till 2016-2017 for Nintendo to implement an account system that has been in place since 2004?

shanafan

Quit excusing the terrible fucking policy. Again Valve has been doing this since 2004, EA has had an account system in place the same as Steam since Origin launched.

Do not forget that Nintendo is a Japanese-based company, while Steam and EA are not. Japanese business practices are different from other countries.

I agree, their system is not as user-friendly as other services, but it is still nice to be able to get support from them. Imagine someone stealing your handheld and all of your physical games, and never being able to get any of those back without rebuying everything.

Top Bottom