• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So both, Nintendo and Microsoft copied Mark Cerny's PS4 centric social gaming philosophy and SHARE Botton...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
you sound like there is a lot of things to record on ps4.
ps4 is always recording.
if you want to save a video just press the share button it will save the last 15min or 30min whatever length you configured. then crop and upload
thats it

It’s literally as idiot proof as it gets on the PS4.

Banned
you sound like there is a lot of things to record on ps4.
ps4 is always recording.
if you want to save a video just press the share button it will save the last 15min or 30min whatever length you configured. then crop and upload
thats it

both the Xbox One and the PS4 are always recording.

and no you don't just press the Share button on PS4 to save a clip.

you can configure the share button to do 3 things.
#1: Take a Screenshot, #2: Start Recording/End Recording after you started one and #3: Open the Share Menu.
you can change which gesture should do what (Hold, press, double press) but that's it

to retroactively save a clip of something that happened you need to open the Share menu, and press Square. and to do that you need to wait until the Square button isn't greyed out anymore, which depending on the game can take 1 second, or in worst case scenarios more than 10 seconds.

and to change the length of the clips you want to retroactively save you have to go into the system settings

____

on Xbox One you hit Home, and from there you can hit X to save a clip (you can preconfigure how far back it should record) and to manually change the amount of time it should retroactively record you hit View (Select).

so let's say I had a crazy 1 vs 3 win in Apex Legends, and that fight took me 2min, but I preconfigured only 30sec because I don't want to always save a super long clip for everything that happens

on PS4 I would be shit out of luck, I could only save the last 30sec.

on Xbox One I could just on the fly choose to save the last 3min even if 30sec is preconfigured.

both systems have the option to manually start a recording and manually end it. that is the only thing the PS4 does faster because you don't have to open a menu to do that.

____

then there's sharing... on Xbox One, short clips and screenshots get instantly uploaded in the background and all your friends can see them in the activity feed on the dashboard.

you record a clip of something cool, it automatically uploads, and everyone on your friends list can see them.

you can of course also upload them to other services or to your cloud storage

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
both the Xbox One and the PS4 are always recording.

and no you don't just press the Share button on PS4 to save a clip.

you can configure the share button to do 3 things.
#1: Take a Screenshot, #2: Start Recording/End Recording after you started one and #3: Open the Share Menu.
you can change which gesture should do what (Hold, press, double press) but that's it

to retroactively save a clip of something that happened you need to open the Share menu, and press Square. and to do that you need to wait until the Square button isn't greyed out anymore, which depending on the game can take 1 second, or in worst case scenarios more than 10 seconds.

and to change the length of the clips you want to retroactively save you have to go into the system settings

____

on Xbox One you hit Home, and from there you can hit X to save a clip (you can preconfigure how far back it should records) and to manually change the amount of time it should retroactively record you hit View (Select).

so let's say I had a crazy 1 vs 3 win in Apex Legends, and that fight took me 2min, but I preconfigured only 30sec because I don't want to always save a super long clip for everything that happens

on PS4 I would be shit out of luck, I could only save the last 30sec.

on Xbox One I could just on the fly choose to save the last 3min even if 30sec is preconfigured.

both systems have the option to manually start a recording and manually end it. that is the only thing the PS4 does faster because you don't have to open a menu to do that.
i dont know what length Xbox records for but do you thing wait 10s which i never had to wait for 10s to save a 30min video is not a big of a deal lol
i really don't know what we are arguing for.
even ms thought they needed a share button. if it wasn't a big of deal they wouldn't

to be honest im glad because developers might actually do something with it

CrisPy2019

Nintendo did it first... Someone will post it.... Oh wait, first post eh....

Sony never created nothing man, she just copy thing's... And she only won 3 generations on luck...

People always post these when someone compliments Sony.... :messenger_squinting_tongue:

But yes, you are right. And it's good, whatever that improves the player experience it's always good.
Hitler won elections only because of luck. Hitler is better than others then?
See winning does mean NOTHING. He even was Time magazines Man of the year 1938. Stalin was too afterwards.

No "image" "words" "followers"
that won. Also cheapest Blu-ray and DVD player. And a CD player in the Ps1.
Cartridge manufacturing prices etc...

Neither Ps1 or 2 won because they were the better gaming consoles. Neither did the Wii but at least it was special.

I don't really like this bragging when it's revisionist history..

Also Sony's whole gaming business is based on copying.

The only thing they completely came up with themselves in the console business was the memory card.
But that's more a fix than a feature.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I think the "xbox button" is a bigger innovation.
The share button does really make it any quicker.
Pressing the xbox button then y, is no slower then pressingvthe share button then pressing X, on ps4.
Double tap the share button and it saves everything for the last 15 minutes.... so it doesn't take anytime.

Banned
i dont know what length Xbox records for but do you thing wait 10s which i never had to wait for 10s to save a 30min video is not a big of a deal lol
i really don't know what we are arguing for.
even ms thought they needed a share button. if it wasn't a big of deal they wouldn't

to be honest im glad because developers might actually do something with it

let's say you are in an Online match, something really crazy happend, you want to save and clip of that. but now you sit there and wait for 10sec until you are finally able to do so.
that's fun right?

I mean of course, if you always have it set to 15min (which is the max) you can just wait until the end of the match... but then to share that you have to go in and cut the clip down, look for the moment it happened, save a new clip and upload it somewhere to share it with friends.

on Xbox what you do is, you hit home and hit X to save the preconfigured amount of time. and it is always instant, no wait time.
but if you want to save a specific amount of seconds/min back, you hit View and select the amount, done.

this clip then automatically uploads and gets shared with friends.

oh and if you want to cut it down you can do it right from the side bar.

it's just better, I absolutely hate the PS4's share functionality. I currently play Apex Legends with friends who only have PS4s, and on multiple occasions we had troubles saving and sharing clips, which would be extremely fast and straight forward on Xbox One.

SLB1904

Banned
let's say you are in an Online match, something really crazy happend, you want to save and clip of that. but now you sit there and wait for 10sec until you are finally able to do so.
that's fun right?

I mean of course, if you always have it set to 15min (which is the max) you can just wait until the end of the match... but then to share that you have to go in and cut the clip down, look for the moment it happened, save a new clip and upload it somewhere to share it with friends.

on Xbox what you do is, you hit home and hit X to save the preconfigured amount of time. and it is always instant, no wait time.
but if you want to save a specific amount of seconds/min back, you hit View and select the amount, done.

this clip then automatically uploads and gets shared with friends.

oh and if you want to cut it down you can do it right from the side bar.

it's just better, I absolutely hate the PS4's share functionality. I currently play Apex Legends with friends who only have PS4s, and on multiple occasions we had troubles saving and sharing clips, which would be extremely fast and straight forward on Xbox One.

The PS4 can automatically record for as long as an hour or as short as 30 seconds, but the default time is 15 minutes.

stop dude
i set mine to 30min

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
How many people actually used the share button on the PS4 controller? I honestly think I've never pressed it once in over 5 years of owning a PS4.
I've pressed it plenty, only on accident. It was super irritating until I found out there was a setting to stop that stupid menu from popping up when you hit it.

Then I found out that when you turn off the auto menu, it starts saving useless 15 minute videos and wasting space on the hard drive. I wish you could just disable the whole button.

Aion002

Hitler won elections only because of luck. Hitler is better than others then?
See winning does mean NOTHING. He even was Time magazines Man of the year 1938. Stalin was too afterwards.

No "image" "words" "followers"
that won. Also cheapest Blu-ray and DVD player. And a CD player in the Ps1.
Cartridge manufacturing prices etc...

Neither Ps1 or 2 won because they were the better gaming consoles. Neither did the Wii but at least it was special.

I don't really like this bragging when it's revisionist history..

Also Sony's whole gaming business is based on copying.

The only thing they completely came up with themselves in the console business was the memory card.
But that's more a fix than a feature.

Wow... Now that's a fanboy. Sure dude...Whatever makes you sleep better at night. /s.

Now for real.... C'mon!:messenger_dizzy:

rob305

rofl ... I remember a gaffer requesting MS to update the firmware on the original controller and make "SYNC" share button to copy SONY a few years ago.

and we are getting 15 threads about the console fitting your gaming setup and do you like the prism design...

Apparently, the Series 2 Elite Controller is already outdated a month after release as next year's controller will have "Share" button.

The Elite Series 2 is 229.96 CDN plus 13% tax.... here is On, Canada.
I'm sure youll be able to map the share button to one of the pedals on the Series X

CrisPy2019

Wow... Now that's a fanboy. Sure dude...Whatever makes you sleep better at night. /s.

Now for real.... C'mon!:messenger_dizzy:
What am I a fanboy of?

Last time I checked criticizing ONE company does not make someone a fanboy. Praising a company all the time does.

Typical "if you are not with me then you are against me" bullshit. Ignorance at its best :)

I do have
1 PS1
2 ps2s
6 ps3s
3 ps4s
1 psp
5 vita TVs
1 PS1Classsic

But whatever be ignorant and a fanboy of Sony :)

Banned
The PS4 can automatically record for as long as an hour or as short as 30 seconds, but the default time is 15 minutes.

stop dude
i set mine to 30min

ok that came with an Update then, pretty sure it was only 15min at first.

but that is the least of my issues, for one... I was never in a situation that needed that amount of retroactive recording, and my main issue is how you actually save the clips.

because, again, that works the same on both system only that on Xbox One you have additional on the fly options.

and many said you just hit the share button twice to save a clip, which is bullshit.
there are 2 settings for the share button, Standard and "Easy Screenshots"
on Standard you press it once to open the share menu, hold it to make a screenshot and double tap to START a recording... not to retroactively save something that happened in the past.
to do that you have to go into the share menu and hit square, and again, that cna take up to 10seconds of waiting in that share menu until you are finally able to save the clip.

(and on the easy screenshot setting the press/hold/double press stuff here switched around, but it's the same funtions just you make screenshots with a single press.)

that is my big issue because the most I use the share functionality of both systems for is for saving short clips of cool stuff that happened and sharing that with friends.
that process, which is ib my opinion the most important use of that functionality, is way faster and more straight forward on Xbox One, by a mile.
for 3 reasons, it is instant no matter what game you play, it is configurable on the fly and it automatically shares clips with friends.

Last edited:

Aion002

What am I a fanboy of?

Last time I checked criticizing ONE company does not make someone a fanboy. Praising a company all the time does.

Typical "if you are not with me then you are against me" bullshit. Ignorance at its best :)

I do have
1 PS1
2 ps2s
6 ps3s
3 ps4s
1 psp
5 vita TVs
1 PS1Classsic

Sure.:messenger_winking_tongue:

SLB1904

Banned
ok that came with an Update then, pretty sure it was only 15min at first.

but that is the least of my issues, for one... I was never in a situation that needed that amount of retroactive recording, and my main issue is how you actually save the clips.

because, again, that works the same on both system only that on Xbox One you have additional on the fly options.

and many said you just hit the share button twice to save a clip, which is bullshit.
there are 2 settings for the share button, Standard and "Easy Screenshots"
on Standard you press it once to open the share menu, hold it to make a screenshot and double tap to START a recording... not to retroactively save something that happened in the past.
to do that you have to go into the share menu and hit square, and again, that cna take up to 10seconds of waiting in that share menu until you are finally able to save the clip.

and on the easy screenshot setting the press/hold/double press stuff here switched around, but it's the same funtions just you make screenshots with a single press.

that is my big issue because the most I use the share functionality of both systems is for saving short clips of cool stuff that happened and sharing that with friends.
that process, which is ib my opinion the most important use of that functionality, is way faster and more straight forward on Xbox One, by a mile.
for 3 reasons, it is instant no matter what game you play, it is configurable on the fly and it automatically shares clips with friends.
im pretty sure you are wrong here as well

Last edited:

CrisPy2019

mvsSgMA.jpg

Instagrams "layout"app fucked up and put my Ps1 in twice so I blurred it and used the space for the text.

How many people actually used the share button on the PS4 controller? I honestly think I've never pressed it once in over 5 years of owning a PS4.
I use it all the time for screenshots. People stream their ps4 play all the time. You do know how popular live from playstation was during the first year of launch. They sold out of cameras due to it. That was even before YouTube and twitch integration.

cireza

Banned
Beware Mark Cerny, creator of everything video-games since the beginning of times !

Legend tells that one week-end Mark Cerny was bored. So he created the PS Vita.

Max_Po

Banned
Beware Mark Cerny, creator of everything video-games since the beginning of times !

Legend tells that one week-end Mark Cerny was bored. So he created the PS Vita.

at least he has input in many of projects and is respected by all major players in the industry and the guy is humble and extremely polite.

meirl

Banned
What am I a fanboy of?

I do have
1 PS1
2 ps2s
6 ps3s
3 ps4s
1 psp
5 vita TVs
1 PS1Classsic

This is SonyGAF. if you say ANYTHING Sony, you are an xbox fanboy and if you say ANYTHING positive about xbox you are a microsoft shill.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
This is SonyGAF. if you say ANYTHING Sony, you are an xbox fanboy and if you say ANYTHING positive about xbox you are a microsoft shill.
Well, shit, with this in mind, think I might just go play some co-op PvP... with my toaster....... xD

Last edited:
rofl ... I remember a gaffer requesting MS to update the firmware on the original controller and make "SYNC" share button to copy SONY a few years ago.

and we are getting 15 threads about the console fitting your gaming setup and do you like the prism design...

Apparently, the Series 2 Elite Controller is already outdated a month after release as next year's controller will have "Share" button.

Being able to share and post clips and pictures of games have been on both the PS4 and Xbox One from day one (but MS backed on Kinect voice controller)
It's pretty clear you don't have a series 2 since that pad you can assign any of the peddles to record/take a picture, never mind use X or Y, or even use Amazon Alexa

SONY and Microsoft have all copied off each other over the years. I seem to remember MS being 1st with achievements, party chats and being able to see what your online friends are playing, weren't SONY the 1st to have a 'Home' button function.
Nintendo aren't any better either ...

Handel

Good on Sony for being "first" for once, even though even that's debatable. Time to tack having a dedicated share button on the wall next to Nintendo's accomplishment of showing the world how to properly do 3D gaming.

cireza

Banned
at least he has input in many of projects and is respected by all major players in the industry and the guy is humble and extremely polite.
Sure but "fans" don't do him good when generalizing "Mark Cerny did this, Mark Cerny did that".

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
And sony copied shit from Nintendo, and ms copied shit from blah, and blah de blah blah...

What the fuck are you, 12? Every one of them copies the other with successful good ideas. That’s how business works. You can pick anything from any one of them and they will have nicked it. Look at trophies. Look at dual analog. Look at anything.

Grow up, kid.

YEEHqLu.jpg

Every thread, you say. EVERY one? That’s a lot of posts to make.

Who the fuck cares about post count, this is Gaf. I couldn’t even tell you how many posts I have.

Your tag should be “Hyperbole Sunday” with posts/threads like this.

Like you said, hitting puberty or 12..dude actually opened a thread about it..who gives a goddamn @#$% even if they did, wha?! You got somethin else to say..psst ..you want some Orios or what's the deal here.?

Love the new X series controller btw, now it's even easier to share stuff in the breeze.

The share button at the moment is something I believe everybody can use, once again SONY beat someone to the punch for a feature (Eye Toy Motion, VR etc.) in many cases Nintendo and M$ are catching up to SONY.

Sega had camera and demoed motion games for it on the Dreamcast well before Eye Toy, and also had a VR headset finished and ready to ship but bottled it because of health fears. Think Cerny Might have been at Sega Japan while Sega US were developing it. Sega also got to online, progressive scan, 60hz in PAL territories, motion controls, analogue triggers, DLC and all other kinds of stuff first. But few people remember or care.

There are actually very few original ideas, most get mulled in various places and appear in various forms until they land at the right time and in the right form and that's what everyone remembers.

Adding a dedicated button for features that have been in X1 since the beginning in relatively small fry. This was all supposed to be done through the (mandatory at launch) Kinect device. Kinect was your share button, but Kinect died, so MS had to improvise. This time round there's no Kinect so it's added to the pad.

OP is a little cringey.

-Troid-

Banned
Having played most of this gen on the Xbone Controller, I've grown to hate the share button on the DS4 mostly for the fact that it sits in the "select/back" button slot and anything any game would normally use a "select/back" button for like a map screen or inventory is relegated to the touchpad.

I can't tell you how many times I played a PS4 game at a friend's house and accidentally exited the game and opened up the share app.

At least on the new SeX controller the share button is going to be out of the way and not in the "select/back" button's place, so hey it improves on the idea too 😉

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Having played most of this gen on the Xbone Controller, I've grown to hate the share button on the DS4 mostly for the fact that it sits in the "select/back" button slot and anything any game would normally use a "select/back" button for like a map screen or inventory is relegated to the touchpad.

When we really need to spread our crap out into the world, the share button can be conveniently located here...
toilet-handle.gif

#TrulyIronicShitPosting :messenger_halo::messenger_poop:

Last edited:

Banned
im pretty sure you are wrong here as well

I am not, if you are referring to the capabilities of the share button. I literally turned my PS4 on and checked before posting this to make sure it didn't sneak in with a recent update.

you can't save a clip of something that happened just by double pressing share. that is not a functionality of the share button.

you have to open the share menu and hit square, and again, if the game you play stresses the system that could mean that you have to sit there for up to 10sec until you can finally hit square.

the only 3 functions the share button can perform are, take a screenshot, open the share menu and START/STOP a recording.
these are mapped on default to Hold, Tap and double tap respectively. and the only other setting available switches hold for screenshot and tap to open the share menu around so you tap to take a screenshot and hold to open the menu.

Last edited:

Caffeine

Cerny is a smart dude who wants to better gaming as a whole hes basically the next john carmack regardless of where he is employed.

Last edited:

Neff

Nintendo already had sharing and a social centric philosophy with the Wii U in 2012, well before the PS4 was even announced. “Copied from Sony” my ass.

This. For all of Wii U's faults, its networking features were brilliant for their time, and in some ways still superior to what we have now. It's absolutely fair to say that Wii U set a new standard for social gaming.

Sony's approach was much the same except they had better technology/storage and used Twitter instead of making their own version like Nintendo did.

Z O N E

You clearly don't have the controller...

You can set shift buttons on the controller and pretty much do all tasks and open any app by pressing a button.

As an example, I have set my Top Right Paddle as my "shift" button. So when I hold that button all my other buttons on the controller have different tasks.

What I did was:

A: Opens MCC
B: Opens COD: Modern Warfare
X: Opens Destiny 2
Y: Opens Gears 5

LB: Opens friends list
RB: Opens messages
LT: Records last 40 seconds
RT: Takes screenshot

Each DPad opens a different media app, Netflix, Youtube, Prime Video and NowTV.

Why bother having a share button on Series 2 Elite controller when you can literally map any button to do anything? Pointless anti MS thread with no research.

Top Bottom