• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So buying a used WiiU has its advantages

Someone needs to test if 18 rated content is locked out for child accounts on used consoles. Either way children with the money are now able to buy consoles with 18 rated games. Messy.

Dave Long

Banned
Well, after having some anecdotal evidence that people really DO share their accounts with friends, I'm guessing Microsoft and Sony will close that loophole up real quick on the next boxes.

Well, after having some anecdotal evidence that people really DO share their accounts with friends, I'm guessing Microsoft and Sony will close that loophole up real quick on the next boxes.

Where's that evidence at? What you saw here was a lot of evidence that having a mobile gamertag is beneficial to users and does no real damage to Microsoft. Whereas tying purchases to hardware is about as anti-consumer as you can possibly get. If anything changes, it will more than likely be Sony adopting more of an XBL approach to avoid people sharing accounts.

SerOnionKnight

Neo Member
For the life of me I will never understand why in this day in age of weekly retail sales and clearance of physical versions someone would pay msrp for a drm-locked downloadable version of the same software. Call me crazy I guess but the disadvantages definitively outweigh any benefit.

Replicant

Who the heck is buying a Wii u, buying multiple download games, and then selling the Wii u, all within two months?

Someone who thought Wii U was actually next gen

I...I.. AHAHAHAHAHA! XD

This whole thing is both amusing and horrifying at the same time. Amusing if you buy 2nd hand but horrifying if you're the original owner of the console. What a nightmare to lose not only your carefully selected username but also all of your purchases.

Shito

This has been pretty well understood for quite some time. The 3DS works the same way. It's a little weird and backwards, but I don't see a huge problem and am fully on board with buying digital on these platforms.

Here's the rundown:

What if I upgrade to a new revision of a Nintendo system? - there will be a system transfer utility. Before selling your old console, hook them both up and transfer everything (even save games, settings, etc) to the new one. That's how the XL worked at launch and surely how any future revision of Wii U will operate.

What if my console breaks? - you'll have to go through Nintendo for repair. When repairing your system, they will typically be able to transfer everything for you in the event that they end up replacing rather than fixing.

What about buying a used system? - bonus games, maybe?

But is that bad for the seller? - I don't see how. Those games are legally on the system and are part of the sale if you decide to leave them there. That means you can clearly advertise on your eBay listing that your Wii U comes with digital copies of Batman and NSMBU, and price it accordingly.

But what if my console is stolen? - Well... you can't be helped there. It will essentially be the same as the thief grabbing all your retail games from your shelf at the same time.
Last year's April I had someone break into my house and steal all of my portable consoles, my laptop, and my PS3.
I just had to change my PSN password to retrieve all of the games I had bought on it. Same goes for Steam.
I've lost all my 3DS wiiware games.
How does this scenario fit in into your "all is well" mentality about how Nintendo handles its online? ^^

pestul

For the life of me I will never understand why in this day in age of weekly retail sales and clearance of physical versions someone would pay msrp for a drm-locked downloadable version of the same software. Call me crazy I guess but the disadvantages definitively outweigh any benefit.

Well, mainly for the convenience of not having to switch discs. That alone outweighs a lot of the negatives for many people.

I...I.. AHAHAHAHAHA! XD

This whole thing is both amusing and horrifying at the same time. Amusing if you buy 2nd hand but horrifying if you're the original owner of the console. What a nightmare to lose not only your carefully selected username but also all of your purchases.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you're disenchanted enough to be selling your console and all those games a month after it comes out, it's probably not a horror for you to lose your carefully selected username.

Big deal.

If you've decided you don't want the system anymore, then you've forfeited your rights to those games and it's a nice gift for the next person that picks it up.

There's nothing wrong with that system at all.

Prine

Banned
Big deal.

If you've decided you don't want the system anymore, then you've forfeited your rights to those games and it's a nice gift for the next person that picks it up.

Erm, if you intend to buy the system again later down the line you've lost games that are rightfully yours, this is a moronic download system that should be avoided at all cost.

Erm, if you intend to buy the system again later down the line you've lost games that are rightfully yours, this is a moronic download system that should be avoided at all cost.
I never really understood that.If i spend good money on something,i'm planning on seeing it through to the end.

Big deal.

So if I buy a new PC, I deserve to lose everything I bought on the old one? If I buy the new Xbox or Playstation and it happens to be backwards compatible, I only deserve the right to carry over my retail purchases and not my digital purchases? I forfeit them the minute I sell the old console to pay for the new one? I like to believe that the people who defend Nintendo's insanely anti-consumer way of handling digital downloads simply aren't comprehending what's going on, because no one could actually think this is a good idea.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm confused what the issue is here.

First user deleted his Mii but not his Shop account, presumably. All licenses are still present on the system for any new Mii user account to use.

The seller should have deleted their shop account, but probably didn't realize it was different than the user accounts.

netBuff

I'm confused what the issue is here.

First user deleted his Mii but not his Shop account, presumably. All licenses are still present on the system for any new Mii user account to use.

The seller should have deleted their shop account, but probably didn't realize it was different than the user accounts.

Yeah, I don't understand what the issue is here: That's not totally bananas insane and completely unlike pretty much any other digital download service at all!

And is there even an option to delete an eShop account on the Wii U? I can't remember seeing such a setting on the console, just on the 3DS.

sakipon

So if I buy a new PC, I deserve to lose everything I bought on the old one? If I buy the new Xbox or Playstation and it happens to be backwards compatible, I only deserve the right to carry over my retail purchases and not my digital purchases?

There already is a Wii to Wii U transfer tool and they've confirmed that a Wii U to Wii U tool is coming up.

lockload

What worries me more is the kind of basic misunderstandings about how thing should work

You have to wonder is someone hacking group did the same to nintendo that they did to sony how it would hold up with the user data/card info. I know if i i ever get a wiiu u i wont have my card details on there

netBuff

There already is a Wii to Wii U transfer tool and they've confirmed that a Wii U to Wii U tool is coming up.

That's still unacceptable: Getting a limited allotment of system-to-system transfers is not a reasonable policy for a service you can purchase games on.

This is plainly targeted against consumers: Selling a console in anticipation of a new revision, for example, becomes infeasible or more unattractive.

Oppo

Nintendo is easily the most antagonistic of the three platform holders at this point, from a consumer-rights pov. I mean this kind of design is indefensible.

If and only if you possess both devices. That's dumb. Meanwhile on my 360 I go to settings on the new console and hit 'Transfer Licenses'. Done in under 5 seconds. I don't use Steam but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they don't force you to have both PCs in order to transfer purchases when you get a new one.

Camp Lo

Banned
People often act irrationally when met with regret and disappointment.

Sounds pretty rational to me. The irrational part was buying a console at launch.

Why? They designed it this way. If they didn't want games tied to consoles they wouldn't have made games tied to consoles.

They wanted games tied to the console that can be wiped clean and dug up again by tediously attempts of redownloading every game on the eShop instead of the person's account who originally bought them? What the fuck are you talking about?

IceCold

Does Nintendo use the same user accounts for the WiiU and 3DS? If so, then I don't get why Nintendo would tie the games to the hardware. If not then that's a massive mistake on their part.

Does Nintendo use the same user accounts for the WiiU and 3DS? If so, then I don't get why Nintendo would tie the games to the hardware. If not then that's a massive mistake on their part.

3ds doesn't have an account based system in place. content there is also tied to the hardware, so if you decide to sell and want to delete your account, it clearly tells you that deleting your account means losing those games forever (paraphrasing). the only way to keep the games is to do a transfer. otherwise, you're sol.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't use Steam but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they don't force you to have both PCs in order to transfer purchases when you get a new one.

Just finished building a new rig, as it happens.

Just downloading my Steam library now. No fuss, no hassle, no worry about transferring licenses or sending my hardware for a corporation to transfer everything. I find my game, press "Install", that's it.

Why? Selling something to recover some of the money spent is probably smarter than holding onto a system you don't enjoy.
I guess i'm more strict with my money.If i buy a $300+ device you can damn well make sure i do alot of research to make sure i know what i'm getting myself into.

Fox Mulder

I guess i'm more strict with my money.If i buy a $300+ device you can damn well make sure i do alot of research to make sure i know what i'm getting myself into.

I got the wiiu impulsively and will hold onto it, but hyped "launch window" games still have no release dates or have been delayed to later 2013. Nintendo and third parties also haven't really seemed excited to announce much of anything since launch either. You can burn through NSMBU and ZombiU since launch, and it looks dry for months ahead.

I understand if people get hard buyer's remorse and want to bail now, but there was something that made them want it in the first place. Maybe they check back in a year or so.

DigitalOp

Banned
The number of people defending this..... sickening.....

The true issue is that there is no way to recover your PURCHASED content. WTF, are you kidding me?

Suppose I have a raging manchild stepdad who catches a fit one day and breaks the Wii U?? (just an example of unpredictable life) After buying a new console, Why do I have to call Nintendo and literally BEG to get my stuff back??

You can't argue against this. This is your basic consumer rights you guys are forsaking here.... Damn shame really

Stay Pro-Consumer; The Corporations don't give a flying fuck about you, Stop defending malpractices and shady business, most of yall are sheep to be sheared and your wool is your money

Just downloading my Steam library now. No fuss, no hassle, no worry about transferring licenses or sending my hardware for a corporation to transfer everything. I find my game, press "Install", that's it.

That sounds like a lie. It can't be that simple. Stop lying, liar. Surely you made at least 5 calls to customer support to get permission to re-download games you purchased in the past. Perhaps even threatened to call the Better Business Bureau.

netBuff

I'm sure you had to fax a police report to Valve first, no other way about it!

Yeah, I'm convinced you never bought something that turned out to not perform to expectations ever.

I got the wiiu impulsively and will hold onto it, but hyped "launch window" games still have no release dates or have been delayed to later 2013. Nintendo and third parties also haven't really seemed excited to announce much of anything since launch either. You can burn through NSMBU and ZombiU since launch, and it looks dry for months ahead.

I understand if people get hard buyer's remorse and want to bail now, but there was something that made them want it in the first place. Maybe they check back in a year or so.
Like i said i'm strict with my money,i'm not going to buy a $300+ device on impulse.If the games that are coming out early this year don't interest some people then they should've waited for more games to be announced.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

Simple... not having to change cartridges. Hording a bunch of physical games on a portable is also a pain!

Yeah, I'm convinced you never bought something that turned out to not perform to expectations ever.
I'm not saying that,ive made plenty of mistakes with my money and that's made me wiser.I'm just say when i'm spending alot of money (and yes i see $300 as alot of money)on something i'm making sure i love it first.

netBuff

I'm not saying that,ive made plenty of mistakes with my money and that's made me wiser.I'm just say when i'm spending alot of money (and yes i see $300 as alot of money)on something i'm making sure i love it first.

That's good for you and smart, but doesn't change the fact that selling the Wii U now is probably better financially speaking than waiting it out. Wii U prices are on a very clear downward slope where I live, if you can't see yourself enjoying the console in the future get rid of it now.

That's good for you and smart, but doesn't change the fact that selling the Wii U now is probably better financially speaking than waiting it out. Wii U prices are on a very clear downward slope where I live, if you can't see yourself enjoying the console in the future get rid of it now.
That's what i don't get.The system has been out for 2 months,and people knew 2013 might be alittle empty,Nintendo and third parties haven't announced anything past the launch period really,would it really have killed people to wait a few months to a year to see how things turned out.

softie

Yeah, I don't understand what the issue is here: That's not totally bananas insane and completely unlike pretty much any other digital download service at all!

And is there even an option to delete an eShop account on the Wii U? I can't remember seeing such a setting on the console, just on the 3DS.

Yeah, you can either delete the user OR the user and its appropriate NNID/eShop account. But you're pretty much fucked, if you delete the NNID/eShop account, because you won't be able to retrieve it, unless you beg Nintendo to free your slot (so by sending your WiiU to them).
Like you said, totally bananas....

OryoN

So if I buy a new PC, I deserve to lose everything I bought on the old one? If I buy the new Xbox or Playstation and it happens to be backwards compatible, I only deserve the right to carry over my retail purchases and not my digital purchases? I forfeit them the minute I sell the old console to pay for the new one? I like to believe that the people who defend Nintendo's insanely anti-consumer way of handling digital downloads simply aren't comprehending what's going on, because no one could actually think this is a good idea.

Bad analogy. His point was about forfeiting the console(Wii U). In which case, the owner wants nothing to do with the system. Buying a new PC or Xbox isn't exactly forfeiting those systems, as you clearly do intend to continue use, just on a newer device. Anyway, know what you're saying, but I have to disagree.

The fact that people call this anti-consumer is quite amazing. If the owner really cares about the digital content, and thus, the console itself, there are ways to get a new console AND retain his/her downloads. If they don't care, then another consumer can benefit from buying this console used.

A bit unorthodox? Yup, that's Nintendo! Inconvenient system-transfer? Ninty again! Arguing about the pros & cons(used Wii U w/ potential dlc Vs stolen Wii U & losing all dlc) is one thing. But, how in the world is a situation where a consumer can greatly benefit - from another person's displeasure in the console - be considered anti-consumer? Especially in a time where companies do everything in their power to penalize the consumer for purchasing anything used. That's a bit backwards, no?

Anyway, for all the people in this thread crying "anti-consumerism", don't worry. This is not going to sit well with certain publishers(and we know how they just "loooove" used game purchases) who will be pressing Nintendo to put a stop to this, and you will all curiously call it "anti-consumer" when that happens.

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere where it was suggested that accounts may not always be tied to the system. Not sure.

netBuff

The fact that people call this anti-consumer is quite amazing. If the owner really cares about the digital content, and thus, the console itself, there are ways to get a new console AND retain his/her downloads. If they don't care, then another consumer can benefit from buying this console used.

Nintendo, such a consumer friendly company! People have been selling game (especially MMORPG) and digital download accounts for years now, this is hardly something special only possible due to Nintendo handling their service in the most consumer unfriendly and backwards way possible.

What you are describing ("there are ways to get a new console AND retain his/her downloads") doesn't actually seem to be possible: People were talking about getting their accounts transferred in cases of repairs done at Nintendo or sending in police reports in cases of stolen consoles, which amounts to begging a customer support representative for clemency. This is the opposite of a "consumer friendly" policy.

Bad analogy. His point was about forfeiting the console(Wii U). In which case, the owner wants nothing to do with the system. Buying a new PC or Xbox isn't exactly forfeiting those systems, as you clearly do intend to continue use, just on a newer device. Anyway, know what you're saying, but I have to disagree.

Some people don't dump consoles because they don't want them. Some are forced to (money problems etc). There's absolutely zero reason those digital purchases shouldnt be there and easily accessible when they're able to buy another console. Only one company makes this impossible or a huge chore - Nintendo. Trying to think of another company doing things this absolutely stupid, and I can't think of one.

Dunkelgrau

I will sell my Wii U on eBay today. Is it assured, that the buyer can redownload all my games, even if I reset my console? Anything new?

alan666

Banned
maybe the original owner didn't get chance to remove his account, the console may be stolen ?

i am not saying anything about the OP or that he has done anything wrong, i'm just throwing it out there.

this has been a known issue with the 3DS before.

Dunkelgrau

maybe the original owner didn't get chance to remove his account, the console may be stolen ?
Maybe, but I don't believe this because on the Wii it was the same: I selled my console on eBay and the buyer was able to download all games again. No problems.

But there was no NIN at this time, so I am not 100% sure if it is the same on Wii U.

sorry for the necrobump.

I am selling my Wii U to a buddy and I have pikman, and a few other games installed. Can I just leave my ID on the system and the games will work for his kids on their profile?

Top Bottom