• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...Can anyone find a New 3DS XL right now? It seems sold out everywhere

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Maybe its just me but if you didnt preorder this thing after all of the recent amiibo, zelda le and other products that have sold out super fast... its your own damn fault.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I see the MM and MH editions are going for around $400 on ebay. Scalpers are cleaning up.

The douchebags are probably raising an altar to Iwata, their patron and benefactor.

And for the people who defend this, Nintendo is arguably at their historic low when it comes to mindshare and influence. The winners this gen are not playing scarcity games - they want their product in the hands of consumers, not sitting on some arsewipe's closet waiting for the ebay auction to close.

I went to two Gamestops looking for one. one had received no additional units, and the other had received 1, but had sold it at the midnight launch.

the one with the midnight launch had said they had three in "transit" and could expect them on today or tomorrows UPS delivery. Oh well, picked up my MM and I will wait until later.

Sucks because of the $75 trade in loss, but ultimately it will probably be easier on me.

I think it might have just been an estimate and they don't know when they are getting any back in. Either way the promo is gonna be done by then :(

Knowing Gamestop they will have a similar deal in a couple weeks once inventory gets stocked and Nintendo wants to push the N3DS sales. They always seem to be running the $125 PS4 credit every couple months. If you can wait for another deal to come up that is.

Toki767

Maybe its just me but if you didnt preorder this thing after all of the recent amiibo, zelda le and other products that have sold out super fast... its your own damn fault.
Nevermind the fact that the MM 3DS XL sold out pre-orders at Gamestop before west coast stores even opened.

Clearly it's customers fault and not Nintendo's.

Mr_L

I can't imagine anyone arguing for this being a sound business strategy anymore. Nintendo, please make and ship more units for your customers! We want to buy your stuff, seriously!

MicH

These are available everywhere in Europe - and there are even more different SKUs here, all in stock

So yeah, it's NoA that are seemingly completely incompetent at getting enough units to stores

Cbajd5

Nevermind the fact that the MM 3DS XL sold out pre-orders at Gamestop before west coast stores even opened.

Clearly it's customers fault and not Nintendo's.

No, it's GameStop's fault? Nintendo didn't force them to open pre-orders as soon as the Direct ended, which caused them to sell out before the West Coast was really awake.

They also didn't force them not to do actual in store pre-orders for the special edition systems. I really wanted to go to a midnight launch and not to have paid $17 extra to get it on the release date...

spookyfish

Oh yes. Nintendo loves to deliberately lose money.

Oh no. You see, when Nintendo does this, they build up a name for themselves, so then they just get BACK that money when new stock comes in. It's really smart, and it's the reason they are profitable. The scalpers and low stock help them out in this way.*

Someone literally had this idiotic argument on Nintendo Console's FB page.

Also, some of it may be stores are holding back stock to sell on Sunday, since I'm certain it's in their circulars.

Plenty of ordinary units throughout the city here (Austria, Europe). Bundles, not so much. I luckily found a MH one in a chain for office- and school supplies...
Good thing they've sent the bundles to all these unbearable youtube hipsters for advertisment, yet don't provide the product anyway.

Vena

I can't imagine anyone arguing for this being a sound business strategy anymore. Nintendo, please make and ship more units for your customers! We want to buy your stuff, seriously!

If its anything like what I saw at GameStop/Target here at Evanston/Chicagoland, they HAD a lot in for both pre-orders and on-shelf. They're just gone now.

I went looking since BB still hasn't shipped my XL and I am getting worried they may never ship or update the order. All the GameStops/Targets I hit up were out and they weren't out of "we only had one" they were out, out of many.

I don't know if this is a supply issue or just an absurd demand issue. How many consoles is normal for a stock?

WatTsu

Preordered one at GS a few weeks back, picked up that and Ace Combat no trouble, and also grabbed a copy of Monster Hunter from Best Buy.

I'm...baffled these things are selling out, but I guess Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Hope all of you who want one can get one soon.

Fireblend

Banned
Any true Nintendo fan preorders his/her stuff as soon as it's announced and not later.

Yeah, NoA's incompetence is something else. Does NoJ know that NoA is screwing up product launches this bad? Do stakeholders?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Going by what TheShogun said, it would seem that it's more a case of pretty good demand at Gamestop, at least.

Lol how many times are you guys going to get fucked over at launch by Nintendo products before you learn that with Nintendo you gotta preorder?

It sucks, though. I'm glad I preordered. My GameStop even had a midnight launch.

I pre-ordered my New 3DS XL the day they were made available and Best Buy still hasn't shipped mine.

In 2015, when it comes to Nintendo products in North America, pre-ordering means shit.

Ravager61

Went to Best Buy, Walmart, and Target with no luck. Kinda mad. I wanted to play MH4 but I don't want to play without the new ds for the better camera control. I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks.

Not surprised at Nintendo creating supply constraints, I would have gotten one via trading in but I'm hearing it's a bit of a hassle with transferring so guess not.

Though I did see 4 of them at the local Target today.

Kacho

Gold Member
I pre-ordered my New 3DS XL the day they were made available and Best Buy still hasn't shipped mine.

In 2015, when it comes to Nintendo products in North America, pre-ordering means shit.

Good luck! I pre-ordered my MH 3DS at GameStop as soon as orders opened and they canceled mine. I'm pretty pissed about it.

CronoShot

I'm at Walmart and there's a red one, but I wanted to do the trade in deal at Gamestop. But they're sold out. They said maybe try back Sunday for preorders that weren't picked up, but dammit I want to play MM now.

Decisions, decisions.

Good luck! I pre-ordered my MH 3DS at GameStop as soon as orders opened and they canceled mine. I'm pretty pissed about it.

I kind of hope they cancel it, to be honest. I'd like this $215 charge to leave my bank account, so I can put it towards a PS4. If I'm not able to get an item I pre-purchased on release day, I'd rather just wait a bit and buy the product in store.

When you pre-order an item the moment its made available and you don't receive that item on launch day, there's a fundamental problem with the pre-order system.

Fox Mulder

It's the first day and a Nintendo product.

They'll trickle out, but people were lining up at retailers to get these early. Someone was at my Target at 5 am.

Vena

Did you pre order with GameStop? If so yes.

So can you tell us if this is supply line issues as per usual or crazy demand or a little of both? I'm actually curious what sorts of numbers for console refreshes are usually expected/shipped vs. pre-orders.

There are no Gamestops or Targets selling any variant of them near where I live; only Best Buy has any in stock and they're going fast. When I went to pick mine up at 10AM, the line behind me was 5 deep.

Looks like Nintendo severely underestimated demand again. Or just didn't bother trying to keep it stocked beyond pre-orders at all..

Neiteio

Maybe the scalpers are at it again. Joke's on them this time, though. Nintendo will be restocking this sumbitch.

PolishQ

I think it might have just been an estimate and they don't know when they are getting any back in. Either way the promo is gonna be done by then :(

My local Gamestop said that they would honor the trade-in promo through next week since the demand is so high. I'm #4 on a call list if they get any extra inventory in.

FLAguy954

My brother tried to pick up a black New 3DS XL and failed miserably. He had to settle on a red one with the hopes that he can return it for a black one before the return period is up. They are bone-dry out of stock for black New 3DS XLs here in South Metro Atlanta.

The NPD results for the New 3DS XL is going to be interesting as hell.

I give up on Nintendo.

Their policies are so ass-backwards. I can't even fathom what's going through their heads. I can live without Pokemon, Mario, and Metroid (not like they are even making a Metroid anyway).

LowSignal

I pre-ordered one and promised it to my friend for his daughter figuring I'd be able to swing toysRus,Target or best buy to get myself a loose one, NOPE. I'm just sitting here with Super smash bros 3ds and hundreds of dollars in amiibos and no new 3ds....

Barakov

Gold Member
I walked into Best Buy and was able to snag the last red one. Talk about lucky. They only had about 4 or 5 black ones left.

Lol how many times are you guys going to get fucked over at launch by Nintendo products before you learn that with Nintendo you gotta preorder?

It sucks, though. I'm glad I preordered. My GameStop even had a midnight launch.

Sometimes even preorders don't work.

This is ultimately Nintendo's fault, not the consumers'

It's the consumers' fault that Nintendo continues to be incompetent at meeting demand?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Couldn't find one, but not too upset...

I ordered one from Best Buy, should be here by Wednesday. I'm busy till then anyway.

Tybolt

Banned
I'm really surprised Nintendo didn't actually try to meet any demand, this artificial supply constraint thing is stupid, just as it's always been.

I'm not feeling it, though. My 3DS has a cracked hinge, but it works just fine, and I don't really want this alleged upgrade because I need my CPP to play Monster Hunter 4 without losing my mind.

Top Bottom