• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dark Souls II [PC] is launching in less then a month and there's no footage of it.

Grief.exe

Is he allowed to say anything about the state of the PC version prior to that date?

Not sure, keep an eye on their respective Twitter accounts and see what comes of this. I have to head out here but I will be checking in periodically.

I'm just glad the wait for information is finally over, been waiting almost exactly a year.

Maybe the dynamic lighting is returning after all?

laHYEmb.gif

I'll be at work when the footage goes online. Can't wait to find a fast growing thread here on GAF about said footage. Heated discussion, dooming or praising what people see, tears of joy or frustration. I'm not ready.

My expectations are rock bottom, graphically. I fully expect the game to look nearly identical to the downgraded-to-hell console versions with the exception of textures and a slight upgrade in character models.

Nothing short of a complete return of the reveal footage tomorrow will legitimately excite me. Call me a debbiedowner.jpg but I'm still very salty about their switcheroo bullshit Namco pulled.

And rightly so.

Still, this month and a half of waiting allowed me to cool down some and enjoy the game more (with expectations adjusted for reality).

soontroll

Banned
I'll be at work when the footage goes online. Can't wait to find a fast growing thread here on GAF about said footage. Heated discussion, dooming or praising what people see, tears of joy or frustration. I'm not ready.
I doubt there will be heated discussion. Everyone seems satisfied with just a higher res version with the ability to tweak the options in that leaked shot.

A quick-look and it goes really well with some breakfast and coffee.
Quick Look.

Thanks. (Although for me 9AM Pacific is like 5PM)

Thanks. (Although for me 9AM Pacific is like 5PM)

You in Europe as well?

(I am too, so it's not gonna work out for this particular QL, but in general, I much prefer watching the GB crew play some games over breakfast than the usual misery that is the morning news, heh).

-MD-

I doubt there will be heated discussion. Everyone seems satisfied with just a higher res version with the ability to tweak the options in that leaked shot.

Not so much satisfied it's just that there's really nothing we can do so we accept it.

My expectations are rock bottom, graphically. I fully expect the game to look nearly identical to the downgraded-to-hell console versions with the exception of textures and a slight upgrade in character models.

Nothing short of a complete return of the reveal footage tomorrow will legitimately excite me. Call me a debbiedowner.jpg but I'm still very salty about their switcheroo bullshit Namco pulled.

My thoughts as well. I'll be glad of the leaked pic is true and it actually includes those options, but it really doesn't make me feel better about all of this.

My expectations for the MVC3 Wolverine divekick-level of bad hitboxes being fixed are rock bottom, myself.

jacobeid

Banned

Me too. Meeeeee too. They're not getting my money day 1 that's for sure regardless of how it turns out. Will wait for the inevitable sales.

Praise Durante.

Really hope its bad so I can run it on my integrated graphics
No but seriously. I honestly think that they will improve textures and performance. Past that, I'm not holding my breath.

Havel

The only possible way we are getting the lighting back is if it is still in the game's code, just disabled. Some one could make a mod that enables it again.

Lunar15

Given the nature of the changes to the lighting, I would not expect it to be significantly different in the PC release.

Set your expectations accordingly.

RK9039

I honestly don't care about the lighting, just turn your TV off if you want darkness. I just want to see how good it looks in other areas like particle effects when enemies die.

About time. FROM will either be getting money from me, or they won't. Simple as that.

I won't support blatant false-advertisement with my $$$, so here's to hoping.

HRose

Banned
The fact that FROM is completely silent about this, and no footage exists is the certain proof that it's a big screwup.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The fact that FROM is completely silent about this, and no footage exists is the certain proof that it's a big screwup.

There is footage being posted tomorrow though, and the game doesn't come out for over 2 weeks.

AmyS

Ah well even if the PC version doesn't have the original lighting & dark areas and assuming PS4 never gets Dark Souls II at all, at least
Deep Down
will give me my next gen lighting and framerate fix on console for this type of game until Dark Souls III in a few years.

I'm hoping L
ost
B
astille
(one of the early environments) is shown during said Quick Look of the PC version. I want to see whether or not FROM fixed this:

qirbwp.gif

This is not the only instance where they seemingly forgot about them having DBZ'd the moon for whatever reason. The difference in an end game area called D
rangleic
C
astle
is even more discernible, and I don't understand why this oversight slipped through from one retail build to the next after the recent patch. Couldn't have been a drastic measure to improve the framerate, because both locations were already perfectly stable on Xbox 360 (no clue about the PS3 version) prior to how it looks like today. It's not just my copy either; I've asked about this over at the Dark Souls II official thread and it has happened to others as well.

D
rangleic
C
astle
: before vs after. Do NOT click this if you're avoiding spoilers. Here's a screenshot of the missing lighting / skybox instead for those who are curious, a picture with hardly any distinguishable characteristics of the level itself.

I honestly don't care about the lighting, just turn your TV off if you want darkness. I just want to see how good it looks in other areas like particle effects when enemies die.
i care more about textures than i do lighting
Guess you'll be perfectly fine with the above then!

I know we shouldn't expect or depend on the hard work of modders, but given how we expect this lighting situation to turn out a Dark Souls ENB series would be amazing

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I recall the disappearing moon thing was in DS1 too but I always thought it was a design decision to creep you out.

True. I just expected something more official considering how close we are to release.

In DS1 on PC there was a glitch with DSFix that caused the sun to disappear.

I'm hoping L
ost
B
astille
(one of the early environments) is shown during said Quick Look of the PC version. I want to see whether or not FROM fixed this:

qirbwp.gif

This is not the only instance where they seemingly forgot about them having DBZ'd the moon for whatever reason. The difference in an end game area called D
rangleic
C
astle
is even more discernible, and I don't understand why this oversight slipped through from one retail build to the next after the recent patch. Couldn't have been a drastic measure to improve the framerate, because both locations were already perfectly stable on Xbox 360 (no clue about the PS3 version) prior to how it looks like today. It's not just my copy either; I've asked about this over at the Dark Souls II official thread and it has happened to others as well.

D
rangleic
C
astle
: before vs after. Do NOT click this if you're avoiding spoilers. Here's a screenshot of the missing lighting / skybox instead for those who are curious, a picture with hardly any distinguishable characteristics of the level itself.

Guess you'll be perfectly fine with the above then!

A patch caused that?
o_O

Top Bottom