• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dark Souls II [PC] is launching in less then a month and there's no footage of it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
An angel has answered me. Thanks, forgot about them!

Can you walk me through making a home address and purchase (I live in the US)? I do not have a Paypal account, but I do have a debit card.

DSII is region free so far right? Edit: actually seems like the checkout page is letting me go through with creating another paypal, so it might work without filling out the addresses on the Nuveem profile.

I take it the purchase went through okay?

kevm3

I expect the PC version to essentially be what Durante's fix was to the original. Higher textures, etc... Since the removed lighting affected gameplay, I expect that to be gone in the PC version and I believe it will have the same lighting as what you see on consoles.

The texture quality's high will be probably be console level and every lower setting will be for ultrabooks and other terribly speced computers.

Adaren

What does "AF: Strong" prove exactly?

2578991-4640748799-dark-.jpg

Also recall that, in Dark Souls 1, the button to reset the hour of work you put into making your character's face look not-totally-hideous was labeled "Initialize".

Deadbeat

Banned
The texture quality's high will be probably be console level and every lower setting will be for ultrabooks and other terribly speced computers.
They said they made the game PC first. That wasn't lip service in the slightest. PC is obviously getting higher res assets.

Durante

Found on the internet. Might be real, might be fake
xKhmX0o.png
Those settings look very real. And almost exactly what I expected. Well, actually I didn't expect "Model Quality" and "Water Surface Quality". Also nice to see a shadow quality setting, I never quite managed to improve shadow quality in DS (unlike Deadly Premonition where I manged to do that).

Well done From (if true). I'd have liked more SSAO control than "on" and "off", and higher quality AA options, but those aren't generally that hard to fix.

I consider that unlikely. They explicitly mentioned higher quality textures, and that's one thing which is easy to keep around during development while you run out of memory on consoles.

Garcia

Hype if real.

Imagine the giga
downgrade
ton if the HIGH settings actually matched the visual quality of the PS3 version. . .

I'm joking of course, it's just that I can't trust these guys anymore until I see some videos and direct grabs.

Stet

Banned
Things change in game development. Do you really make this much of a fuss over every game that doesn't look exactly like its promotional material? I don't give a shit if anyone buys the game but the whole #youlied bullshit is embarrassing.
Embarrassing to who? I'm not taking part in any twitter campaign but I'm not embarrassed by it. As someone on the outside looking in, why are you embarrassed?

Those settings look very real. And almost exactly what I expected. Well, actually I didn't expect "Model Quality" and "Water Surface Quality". Also nice to see a shadow quality setting, I never quite managed to improve shadow quality in DS (unlike Deadly Premonition where I manged to do that).

Well done From (if true). I'd have liked more SSAO control than "on" and "off", and higher quality AA options, but those aren't generally that hard to fix.

You impress me dude! I bailed out on the console versions of Ds2 because I knew it would be downgraded. Anyway, definitely looking forward to playing the PC Version come April 25th. I'll max out the settings, then I'll go nuts killing shit patiently of course. If any upgrades are still in order, I'll be looking your way for assistance. No pressure of course lol!

DS2fix confirmed. IN DURANTE WE TRUST.

"Well done this time around, but now I'm taking it FROM here. So says Mr. Stewart".

All jokes aside, "model quality" kind of clashes with "high-quality character rendering", both can't mean the player character, is "model quality" probably referring to the overall geometry and scenery? If so, couldn't it mean a higher poly count and such delicatessens?

popyea

2578991-4640748799-dark-.jpg

Also recall that, in Dark Souls 1, the button to reset the hour of work you put into making your character's face look not-totally-hideous was labeled "Initialize".

Haha, initialize has such a deadly double meaning in this situation. "Go to the beginning", but of what? Your character or the game?

Facism

[withdrawal intensifies]

2 weeks 4 days to go, slight regret on trading the console version in, even if i did get most of my money back lol.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
It's missing "better lighting".

May be some portion of the (missing) lighting effect is already present on the consoles and just isn't perceptible onscreen.

Citing it, because I just noticed specular reflections from the walls (inside the tree) while traversing from Blighttown to the Great Hollow and with DSfix's resolution/filtering/dof settings, the visuals looked akin to one of the scenes in Dark Souls 2 (the visually better scene, a screen shot which had the character walking down stairs with a torch in the hand and the walls had specular reflections with DOF)

AFAIK If DS2 uses VAC there won't be a DS2fix
I hope, that isn't the case.

Durante

All jokes aside, "model quality" kind of clashes with "high-quality character rendering", both can't mean the player character, is "model quality" probably referring to the overall geometry and scenery? If so, couldn't it mean a higher poly count and such delicatessens?
Yeah, if I had to guess "model quality" would be for static assets/enemies, and "high-quality character rendering" would be a setting related to multiplayer (i.e. give the option to only render the player character in full quality and downgrade others in order to save performance).

Stet

Banned
DS2fix confirmed. IN DURANTE WE TRUST.

"Well done this time around, but now I'm taking it FROM here. So says Mr. Stewart".

Wait, PC version has exclusive in-game delis?

Wait, PC version has exclusive in-game delis?

Dat delicious estus in full HD hi-fi mucho-mucho quality.

Anyway, I think now I'm readier than ever to go full out PRE-ORDERING INTENSIFIES!

I just bloody hope this time around they remembered about the internal resolution and all that stuff. We need a screenshot of the other options window...

edit: @ Darth Zandastu: That's why I said "all jokes aside", I was kidding ;)

elyetis

I consider that unlikely. They explicitly mentioned higher quality textures, and that's one thing which is easy to keep around during development while you run out of memory on consoles.
Isn't it true for higher model quality too ? I thought they usually use higher poly model for the normal map ( or something like that, the only experience with normal map is poor modeling experience in dota 2, and making normal map/POM for texture in minecraft ^ ^" ).

Textures seen in the screenshots on the Steam store page barely look any different than what I've seen on the Xbox 360 version, if at all. I wouldn't hold my breath for higher quality assets beyond bumping up the resolution they're being rendered at.

May be some portion of the (missing) lighting effect is already present on the consoles and just isn't perceptible onscreen.

Citing it, because I just noticed specular reflections from the walls (inside the tree) while traversing from Blighttown to the Great Hollow and with DSfix's resolution/filtering/dof settings, the visuals looked akin to one of the scenes in Dark Souls 2 (the visually better scene, a screen shot which had the character walking down stairs with a torch in the hand and the walls had specular reflections with DOF).
Now that you remind me about the subject: something like specular reflections are present in Dark Souls II on consoles too, it's just that FROM used it sporadically. Instead of having "random cellar / dungeon wall" be shiny, they only bothered to use said reflections for wet or slimy surfaces.

greenfish

Banned
wth

april the 7th and still nothing?

No reviews on pc, no real screenshots etc?

There's not a single reviewer out there who played the pc version?

I'm pretty sure steam lets reviewers play early builds..

What's going on?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
wth

april the 7th and still nothing?

No reviews on pc, no real screenshots etc?

There's not a single reviewer out there who played the pc version?

I'm pretty sure steam lets reviewers play early builds..

What's going on?

GiantBomb is 99.9% sure to have footage of the PC version this week.

Top Bottom