• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...... Dead or Alive 5 is actually a fun fighting game.

Just got into it and despite its sexual reputation it's a pretty fun and engaging fighter imo, I like how straight forward it is just fist and feet. Keep in mind though, fighting games aren't my usual cup of tea but something about how smooth the moves are and how impactful the action makes it satisfying.........also it dose not hurt the the women are sexy too :messenger_winking:
"story" and "acting" is shit though lol

Consider me kind of hyped for 6

Last edited:
I never really got into it. I played it a little but it never felt like dead or alive to me. I don’t know if it was the art style or the tone. Something never clicked and I loved the series.

Dontero

Banned
Yeah after playing DoA it is hard to go back to other fighting games.
The whole counter mechanic is just so fucking good and makes most of matches really fucking fun to watch.

Like someone said. Tits are just extra topping.

Imho they should combine DoA with DoA Xtreame. It would anihilate every single fighter game out there.

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
Great game for casual play since the first installment of the series. Fluid, responsive, visually pleasing and full of hot af anime girls with sweet, bouncy tits. I'd recommend and award it with Nintendo's Seal of Quality.

Rayderism

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good fighter. I think it's deeper than most give it credit for, but the way they handled the DLC clothing options is cancer. Just way too much of it and far too expensive. It would be nice if they gave an "all in" option to get ALL the DLC for a single price, especially after DoA6 releases.

While I very rarely used the male characters (LOL), I did like the one dude (sorry, can't remember his name) that waved his hands around to block. It was just cool how he made blocking look effortless.

Y2H

It's a brilliant game that's fast-paced and welcoming to newcomers. The Hold system is one of the satisfying mechanics I've ever seen in a fighting game.

One of the best parts of Dead or Alive 5 is it's loading times. In an age where games are taking forever to install and load it's so satisfying to have DoA load matches with four characters and heavily interactive stages much faster than other fighting games. It gets embarrassing when most modern fighting games are taking forever to load one-on-one matches with stages that are nowhere near as interactive as the ones in DoA. Hopefully they don't cock this up when DoA 6 releases.

Ridaxan

It's a fantastic game. Easy to pick up and play. Although I'm biased, I've been playing the series since DOA2 on the Dreamcast.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The numerous difficulty settings are ace. Go from dominating the cpu to getting dominated.

It's also one of the few modern fighters that doesn't feel like a stripped down shell of its former self, do wish arcade mode had endings and a boss, and story sucks. Also easily best guest characters, except that Samurai Warriors character.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DoA isn't my favorite but it's always fun, if nothing else.

Give Virtua FIghter 5 (PS3/360) a try if you're so inclined. It has the same "smoothness" of DoA (i.e. stances and transitioning from blocks into a counterattack, etc) and adds in more nuance and variety.

Vlaphor

Dead or Alive 5 (and the associated expansions) is possibly one of my favorite fighting games of all time. Fun and easy to get into, fluid and fun action, the best fanservice you'll find in modern gaming, playable Rachel with different costumes and controllable camera angles (if this were a list, that might be the top reason), and a ridiculous amount of support post launch. A bunch of people laugh about how much optional DLC there is (and there is a ton, hundreds of dollars worth), but I always chose costumes piecemeal as long as they aligned with my strict standards

-Does it have underboob
-Does it have sideboob
-Is it a Rachel, Tina, Lisa, Ayane costumes.

I'm a very discerning consumer.

Now, some pics, just because. I've posted them all before, but I'm posting them again.

EuTmHFM.gif

SSIIzZ0.gif

sb4Ux0U.png

nzZjfmx.jpg

ptzfbJt.jpg

tShGTBa.jpg

I should also mention how active the mod scene is for the PC version of DOA5. Some of the mods are even SFW, surprisingly enough. Still, my favorite DOA mod of all time is DOAHDM Beach Paradise

Here's a link to a promo video...but it is very NSFW, so don't watch it if your somewhere you can't see 3d video game nipples

https://streamable.com/8m95p

Ascend

Doa is the worst of the big 3d fighters but tag mode on the dreamcast entry was a ton of fun anyway.
That was always its reputation, but it's a lot better than people give it credit for. It has quite a lot of depth, and a good player will rarely lose against an ok player, like any good fighting game should be. DOA is easy to pick up and play, and that makes people think it has no depth, but it has. The only gripe is that the luck factor sometimes has just a bit more influence than it should.

I still think VF5FS is the best 3D fighting game we've ever seen, and that with the same basic buttons that DOA has. Tekken is imo a bit overrated. Its "depth" comes more from the difficulty in execution rather than actual fighting depth. Haven't played recent Soul Calibur games, but I doubt it has more depth than either Tekken or DOA.

Dead or Alive 5 (and the associated expansions) is possibly one of my favorite fighting games of all time. Fun and easy to get into, fluid and fun action, the best fanservice you'll find in modern gaming, playable Rachel with different costumes and controllable camera angles (if this were a list, that might be the top reason), and a ridiculous amount of support post launch. A bunch of people laugh about how much optional DLC there is (and there is a ton, hundreds of dollars worth), but I always chose costumes piecemeal as long as they aligned with my strict standards

-Does it have underboob
-Does it have sideboob
-Is it a Rachel, Tina, Lisa, Ayane costumes.

I'm a very discerning consumer.

Now, some pics, just because. I've posted them all before, but I'm posting them again.

[sp
DeadOrAlive5Ultimate-10.jpg
oiler]

EuTmHFM.gif

SSIIzZ0.gif

sb4Ux0U.png

nzZjfmx.jpg

ptzfbJt.jpg

tShGTBa.jpg

[/spoiler]

I should also mention how active the mod scene is for the PC version of DOA5. Some of the mods are even SFW, surprisingly enough. Still, my favorite DOA mod of all time is DOAHDM Beach Paradise

Here's a link to a promo video...but it is very NSFW, so don't watch it if your somewhere you can't see 3d video game nipples

https://streamable.com/8m95p
I do like the sex appeal but I wanted to emphasize that's also a fun fighting game. Don't have a PC :( Rachel, Christine and Lisa are me favorites.

pic_10.jpg

d1.jpg

I still think VF5FS is the best 3D fighting game we've ever seen, and that with the same basic buttons that DOA has. Tekken is imo a bit overrated. Its "depth" comes more from the difficulty in execution rather than actual fighting depth. Haven't played recent Soul Calibur games, but I doubt it has more depth than either Tekken or DOA.

Eh? Tekken has comically easy execution. The only 3d fighter with difficult execution is VF. The problem with modern Tekken is they over-emphasized the juggles to a ridiculous extent and over-iterated the characters to where they've had to start adding multiple stances to certain chars just so they can shove more moves in. Tekken would do well to scale it back closer to the 3/Tag era but they don't seem to have any interest in going that route.

DoA is fun to mess around with but I find the series to be really sloppy and the counter system is a game killer for me personally.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I loved DOA 2 and 3. Haven't been able to get into the newer titles.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I do like the sex appeal but I wanted to emphasize that's also a fun fighting game. Don't have a PC :( Rachel, Christine and Lisa are me favorites.

pic_10.jpg

d1.jpg

It is a fun fighting game as well.

DOA is like mixing peanut butter and chocolate...and then eating that while looking at tits.

doa_5_u_costumes-9.jpg

latest

I really like Sarah as a fighter too but wtf is up with her voice actress. Sounds like it was recorded by a potato with a sock over it.

Kagey K

Banned
I loved DOA 2 and 3. Haven't been able to get into the newer titles.
DOA 3 was really top form for this game. 4 was all right and 5 is decent but it’s missing that extra something 3 and 2 had.

I’m not sure what it is, but I can feel it when I play it.

I have to say I really did like the story mode 5 had. It’s too bad those same feelings don’t transfer over to Arcade and Verses.

Last edited:
I really like Sarah as a fighter too but wtf is up with her voice actress. Sounds like it was recorded by a potato with a sock over it.
The VF characters audio was directly copied from VF5, a 2006 arcade game, and the voice audio quality was already pretty poor back in 06.

sarah_bryant_06_by_momijihayabusa_d7uvpk5-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

bilderberg

Eh? Tekken has comically easy execution. The only 3d fighter with difficult execution is VF. The problem with modern Tekken is they over-emphasized the juggles to a ridiculous extent and over-iterated the characters to where they've had to start adding multiple stances to certain chars just so they can shove more moves in. Tekken would do well to scale it back closer to the 3/Tag era but they don't seem to have any interest in going that route.

DoA is fun to mess around with but I find the series to be really sloppy and the counter system is a game killer for me personally.

What makes Tekken so difficult is how little opportunity you have to fuck up. I really hope, they wont, that they cut down on the roster. You basically have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every character in the game before mind games and spacing even come into the equation. And with 40+ characters, and DLC characters I can't even practice against without paying for, it's basically just rock paper scissors if you aren't one of the top 1% people who play.

"Oh you didn't know that 3rd hit in that string is a low launcher? well too bad there goes half your health" and then you're stuck playing 50-50 guessing games just trying to get off the ground.

Ascend

I find VF easier than Tekken in execution of moves. A basic punch punch kick combo string is a lot simpler in VF than in Tekken. Take the longer strings, and you have to memorize a lot more inputs for Tekken than for VF. DOA uses a similar system to VF.
I don't think DOA is really sloppy. I think the counter hold system has problems though, because after working to extend stuns for max launcher height, a single good guess by your opponent can undo all your work. Then again, they are heavily punished if you grab them instead... And turtling is just a tad too rewarding. But other than that, it is a great fighter with more depth than people give it credit for.

Kagey K

Banned
Well it’s been forever since I played DOA and this thread convinced me I need to start playing it again. Let’s see how this goes.

I used to be half decent at it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
No....just no

I played DOA2 and 3 nonstop

DOA5 felt completely wrong I can't really explain it I want to say 'controls' but its more so in how they move....its just all wrong so much that I rented it and couldn't play for more than 20 mins

Go play 3 or 2 and then play 5 right after and see what I mean I don't see how anyone would want to even touch 5 after that

EuTmHFM.gif

I loved that costume so much back in my DoA5 console days. It always reminded me of Emma Frost. Once I moved to PC though, I used mods constantly.
As much as I love DoA5's gameplay, I wish it had a higher skill ceiling. I really like the challenge of trying to do just-frame attacks and double quarter circle type inputs under pressure. PPK stuff isnt as much fun. Fortunately I love the girls and the counter system.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I loved that costume so much back in my DoA5 console days. It always reminded me of Emma Frost. Once I moved to PC though, I used mods constantly.
As much as I love DoA5's gameplay, I wish it had a higher skill ceiling. I really like the challenge of trying to do just-frame attacks and double quarter circle type inputs under pressure. PPK stuff isnt as much fun. Fortunately I love the girls and the counter system.

That is probably one of my favorite costumes in DOA, and thanks to the DOA mod scene, you can put that costume on other characters...or just Rachel perhaps, who is all that really matters.

WRGHAka.jpg

It looks great on Rachel too, but in my mind, it belongs to Tina :)
I'll be interested to see if Rachel makes the DoA6 roster actually. I really liked her stomp and air grab in DoA5.

No....just no

I played DOA2 and 3 nonstop

DOA5 felt completely wrong I can't really explain it I want to say 'controls' but its more so in how they move....its just all wrong so much that I rented it and couldn't play for more than 20 mins

Go play 3 or 2 and then play 5 right after and see what I mean I don't see how anyone would want to even touch 5 after that

I’ve been playing DOA since it’s debut and imho I think DOA5 is the best playing installment in the franchise by far and they all felt good to me.

Dead or Alive is one of my favorite fighters of all time. The fluidity, easy to pick up, hard to master gameplay mechanics have a good amount of depth and satisfaction to me. I feel that it is actually an excellent, underrated fighter and the fighting engine is so much fun. Definitely looking forward to DOA6 which is long overdue.

I find VF easier than Tekken in execution of moves. A basic punch punch kick combo string is a lot simpler in VF than in Tekken. Take the longer strings, and you have to memorize a lot more inputs for Tekken than for VF. DOA uses a similar system to VF.

Yeah you can definitely argue Tekken has more difficulty in terms of memorization due to factors I mentioned, but actual execution of moves and combos is not difficult and not where the "depth" of Tekken is.

What makes Tekken so difficult is how little opportunity you have to fuck up. I really hope, they wont, that they cut down on the roster. You basically have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every character in the game before mind games and spacing even come into the equation. And with 40+ characters, and DLC characters I can't even practice against without paying for, it's basically just rock paper scissors if you aren't one of the top 1% people who play.

A bit hyperbolic but yes, Tekken is over-iterated at this point and is probably very daunting for new players or even just lapsed players. Personally I'd like Tekken to be scaled back some. Return to shorter but higher damage juggles, basic moves and combo strings being more effective/viable and make the side-step powerful again. That or just do something fresh with it. The series will stagnate further if they just continue with the current the direction they've been taking it over the last decade+, imo anyway.

Ascend

Yeah you can definitely argue Tekken has more difficulty in terms of memorization due to factors I mentioned, but actual execution of moves and combos is not difficult and not where the "depth" of Tekken is.
What gives Tekken its depth? What does it have that DOA doesn't? I know of only one, which is certain moves being sidestepable to only one side, not both.

What gives Tekken its depth? What does it have that DOA doesn't? I know of only one, which is certain moves being sidestepable to only one side, not both.

The depth is in it's basic fundamentals the game is based around. Pokes, movement/spacing during neutral, punishing(whiff or otherwise), okizeme, guarding and just the basic use of moves in various scenarios(For crushes, counters and such). Like that juggle you spent an hour perfecting doesn't mean much if you can't consistently get someone launched. And that's without all the character specific gameplans, throwing, universal low parry, character or limb specific counters, tackles, wall splats and such. Shit, check a beginner guide if you wanna see all that stuff. And I don't know why you're bringing up DoA as I've not been making comparisons between the two games.

This game is great for casual gamers who want to get into fighting games, it's an easy pick up and play game, I had a buddy visiting me from Europe, was not much of a gamer, especially fighting games. I tried to introduce him to Tekken, Soulcaliber and Street Fighter games so we can have a decent (albeit me handicapped) match ups, those games proves to be too complicated for him and he could not figure out how to get in the groove, popped this game in, taught him how to parry/reversal or whatever, he loved it, we ended up playing this one all night.

BlackTron

The only DOA in my collection is 2 on Dreamcast, maybe I assumed too much that the series wasn't worth keeping track?

Man, I remember this two-page spread of Kasumi in the official dreamcast magazine that probably accelerated puberty by a year.

Top Bottom