• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Gravity Rush is pretty nice

SinDelta

Picking up 1 again after several years hiatus on chapter 17. 2017 was a murderers row of incredible games and to be honest I was prioritizing Breath of the Wild that year. Gravity Rush certainly has style, and is packed with content, and 2 even more so from what I've seen (just started chapter 4 before going back to GR 1). Going to look to beat both of them.

I remember some of the story of 1, but I'm probably gonna need to see youtube it or do a new playthrough to freshen my memory.

My largest criticism by far would be some of the mission designs. Please find better ways of using the power of gravity and or pacing with mission objectives. The side mission Special Forces Part 2 for example.

Tighten up the combat. Allow online stuff to be unlocked in 2. The fact they are not is bullshit.

As an aside, certainly a gorgeous alternative to the big superhero games of the time frame, the very good yet very gritty and brutal Prototype, Infamous 1/2 and Batman Arkham Asylum/City.

What would you want from a third?

Last edited:
I loved the games. Platinumed part 1 twice, and then part 2. I rank it up near Mario 64 in that the entire joy of the game is just in how utterly enjoyable it is to simply move around. Falling, pausing mid-air, sliding, jumping, all of it was great. Then they added that amazing art style and OST around it, with a genuinely likeable main character. Then in last place, they added gems and quests to give you more reasons to move around. Some of the quests were a little weak, but the game was just a masterpiece for me.

I'll never forget the pure awe I felt in seeing how truly vertical part 2 gets when you find the rich neighborhood in the clouds. Probably the most vertically expansive game ever made.

Game was also my first exposure to well-done gyro controls, even before Nintendo took the world by storm on Wii U and 3DS with it. Gravity Rush had great gyro on Vita near launch.

All I'd want from a sequel is just higher specs in resolution / framerate to show off how fantastic the movement in the game is. Just put out more content that builds on the first 2.

MrA

Banned
I always say that Gravity Rush are cultural heritage of gaming industry modern.

Everything about Gravity Rush is perfect.

And their characters are beautiful... Specially my lovely kat 💓💓💓💓💓🌷
Except for the touch controls and touch panel controls, those were awful
Otherwise it is an excellent game

NinjaBoiX

I always say that Gravity Rush are cultural heritage of gaming industry modern.

Everything about Gravity Rush is perfect.

And their characters are beautiful... Specially my lovely kat 💓💓💓💓💓🌷
giphy.gif

Humdinger

I enjoyed Gravity Rush Remastered 6 or 7 years ago, on the PS4. At the time, most of what I saw in gaming was an attempt by one developer after another to out-"mature" each other with dark and grim worlds. Everything was serious, violent, and heavy. Gravity Rush, by contrast, was very lighthearted. Its main character (Kat) was innocent and naive. Its visual style was cartoonish, child-like. It was easy to enjoy the fantasy world, because it was simple, light, and coherent. The navigation (flying around) was a lot of fun, too. I really enjoyed it.

I didn't enjoy the sequel much (various reasons I won't get into), but I thought the first game was charming.

sublimit

Banned
The first game was a technical and artistic marvel on Vita (especially on an OLED screen) back in 2013. It really showed how much potential Vita's hardware had if an early title like GR could achieve something like that. The only problem for me were some of the controls in a specific level that ultimately made me quit the game. But until that point i had a great time with it.

GR2 was even more beautiful and frankly one of the most criminally underrated games in terms of art style. Controls felt much better with a dualshock and i enjoyed it more than the first one but i also never finished it because i got sidetracked by other games. But i plan to return to it one day and start a new game.

Last edited:

Tschumi

i've only played it on vita, i just couldn't quite embrace the drastic camera changes u need to process

Wonko_C

What would you want from a third?
PSVR2 support. (If the resolution and FOV thing are like the rumors say it's going to look very clean and sharp) I no longer get motion sickness so I'd play the shit out of it... then I also would just walk around the cities to chill out because their design and art style is beautiful and there is nothing else like it.

SinDelta

Just beat the first one. Pretty damn good. Now onto the second.

I could use a refresher on the lore of the first game. Like, all of it,
the castle in the desert, the ark/temple, the harbinger of destruction descending on from high, fragments of a forgotten past?? This is some downright Assassins Creed type shit. I love it.
How does the sequel do in following up on it?

Last edited:
The mechanics just didn't seem solid and got gimmicky after a while. This is just from playing the demo for 2... Floaty not only in the literal floating but the fighting lol. What I will say is they both look nicely detailed for their respective platforms and it seems to have some charm.

Would consider giving it another shot were it not for the physical version on ps4 getting up in price. Of remastered that is.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The mechanics just didn't seem solid and got gimmicky after a while. This is just from playing the demo for 2... Floaty not only in the literal floating but the fighting lol. What I will say is they both look nicely detailed for their respective platforms and it seems to have some charm.

Would consider giving it another shot were it not for the physical version on ps4 getting up in price.
Digital versions are low price so there is the chance.

SSfox

I was never a big fan of Vita, but Gravity was the game that made me want to get one, still didn't get the Vita (not a big fan of handled consoles) but thankfully the game ended releasing on PS4, and they released also the second game on the console as well.

Now thinking about it i wish Sony released Muramasa on PS4 too. It's actually weird they let this game still stuck on Vita..

Gravity is a fantastic franchise, actually i can see some influences on the new Ratchet. And yes i'd be totally down for a 3rd one.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Both were pretty cool games and i loved to play through them.

There is just nothing out there that is remotely comparable to the feeling of changing gravity like this and sliding down a skyscraper of a flying city in the midst of the sky.

Kat is the best!

bestcharacter6goaz.gif

Last edited:

Aion002

It's a great game. I would like to have a coop mode in a sequel and multiple playable/team members characters each one with different abilities and presence in the story, they would be party members and all.

Don't get me wrong, Kat would continue to be the mc, but I would love having party members helping her out in battle and stuff, maybe add some type of gambit system (from FFXII).

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I was never a big fan of Vita, but Gravity was the game that made me want to get one, still didn't get the Vita (not a big fan of handled consoles) but thankfully the game ended releasing on PS4, and they released also the second game on the console as well.

Now thinking about it i wish Sony released Muramasa on PS4 too. It's actually weird they let this game still stuck on Vita..

Gravity is a fantastic franchise, actually i can see some influences on the new Ratchet. And yes i'd be totally down for a 3rd one.
That was for Marvelous to decide though not Sony.

Sometimes I just randomly turn on Gravity Rush 2 to fly around, listen to great music, and look at beautiful environments, even after beating it 2 years ago. Must say something about it all. Kat is also the perfect type of "stupid but a confident hero" that I enjoy in protags.

Last edited:

Larxia

It's the ps exclusive I want the most on PC.

I really love the atmosphere, the art, the verticality with the traversal gameplay, it mixes up tons of thing I love, but I don't want to buy a console just for these 2 games, especially when the second one is only 30 fps (and with heavy lod issues) which would make the experience not perfect and therefore kind of frustrating as this deserves so much more.

I could only ever play the demo of Gravity Rush 4 on a friend's ps4, that's my only experience with the series, but it really was something and I would really love to one day finally being able to play it in the right conditions.

Last edited:

Larxia

I rank it up near Mario 64 in that the entire joy of the game is just in how utterly enjoyable it is to simply move around. Falling, pausing mid-air, sliding, jumping, all of it was great. Then they added that amazing art style
That's how I feel with Sunset Overdrive, especially with keyboard and mouse giving you more freedom for quickly turning around and aiming.
I think these games are the kind of games that are amazing when they click with you, if they really are your thing then the experience will be something incredible, but also the type of games where it's really hard to find actually good, well played footage of it because if other people aren't fully into it and just do the bare minimum, the games just look boring, not delivering their whole potential.

BigBooper

I loved the first game. Played it on Vita, then bought the PS4 version and played it again and platinumed it. It's probably the best Vita game.

GR2 though I didn't like. It's too unfocused. There's too much to do. The story was uninteresting. I quit it about halfway through.

SinDelta

Gravity Rush 2 is pretty nifty so far with its own style. I do admit it loses a little of the charm of the way the menus were set up in the first game but the new menus/UI/maps have their own jazz/art deco? style.

Some other thoughts -

Throwing is easier and infinitely more effective then 1. Kat is turning items and debris into kinetic kill vehicles at a fast rate with much higher accuracy. Absolute devastation in the fights so far. Isaac Clarke would want that bad while at the same time being proud.

Flying and seeing the colorful cityscape of Jirga Para Lhao loom larger and larger until it dwarfs you is absolutely insane. The graphical increase from 1 to 2 is amazing, and 1 is still a pretty good looking game.

Its interesting to see how people in the world make do. Miners, and people in the market.

Kat gave her ore share to help starving people. A true Hero.

I thought Hekseville in 1 was pretty big.

Then I realized the vast cityscape of Jirga Para Lhao I've seen in 2 so far was just the market place.

Last edited:

BigBooper

BTW, in case ya'll didn't know. The physical versions of GR2 is pretty valuable right now.

For a third game, I'd hope they'd improve the graphics engine specifically smoothing edges and removing the texture shimmer, make the physics of falling more predictable, and make the story much more interesting and cut the fluff. All the random fetch quests and find my cat type quests should all be relegated to side quests.

Top Bottom