• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Halo Infinite doesn't appear to be Play Anywhere...

What could this mean? I mean they clearly labeled Gears 5 as Play Anywhere yet it's omitted from Halo Infinite. Could this possibly be an Xbox next-gen and Windows 10 only title with backward compatibility only for the Xbox One X meaning it couldn't technically be played on the Xbox One/S nullifying the Play Anywhere labeling?

What are your thoughts?

HMBGdWE.png

N5M1wdn.png

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
To be fair, Halo Infinite was an Engine demo. Not a "game" per se.

Halo Infinite the game will 100% be Play Anywhere.

Last edited:
Suggests to me MS is struggling with how to balance its MP suite between keyboard and gamepad players. Makes me wonder if they’ll try to keep them separate.

Havoc2049

Suggests to me MS is struggling with how to balance its MP suite between keyboard and gamepad players. Makes me wonder if they’ll try to keep them separate.

Hopefully. Halo multiplayer is not a good game to have Cross-Play. PC players have a slight advantage in Sea of Thieves and in a highly competitive FPS like Halo, it would be even worse.

Hopefully. Halo multiplayer is not a good game to have Cross-Play. PC players have a slight advantage in Sea of Thieves and in a highly competitive FPS like Halo, it would be even worse.
Crossbuy (Play Anywhere) =/= crossplay

The two are completely unrelated so I don't understand the relativity here.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The two are completely unrelated so I don't understand the relativity here.

Is it? I know what you mean, but Microsoft recently came up with the little Xbox Play Anywhere logo and the majority of those games that have multiplayer have cross-play. Microsoft never made a little cross-play logo and now Halo Infinite doesn't have an Xbox Play Anywhere logo on it. So maybe Microsoft's definition of Xbox Play Anywhere also includes cross-play?

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
Play Anywhere titles are cross-save by default, but cross-play is optional.

Halo Wars 2, for instance, was not cross-play at launch, but it was added later in a patch.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
PC details might not be nailed down yet in terms of day in day release on both so they aren't ready to call it play anywhere until they know they both will come out in the same day.

But the game is super far away, could be a million reasons why.

LordOfChaos

Skyn3t

Banned
I believe, as someone stated earlier, that no crossplay is the matter of the controls, meaning mouse + keyboard combo would give an unfair advantage over standard controller. And yeah, Xbox Play Anywhere doesn't equal to crossplay.

It
Correct. What also may be at play is that only the MP suite is coming to PC and will be F2P while retail purchasers will simply get an additional amount of loot boxes or early unlocks. Makes me wonder if the retail SP will be optional on XB1 if that were to be the case. I also imagine that if the campaign and other coop modes require XBL, PC players won’t get any network features unless they subscribe and that could put MS in a bit of marketing bind with the Play Anywhere moniker.

The basis I have for so deducing above is MS can’t ensure a level player experience on PC - too many system workarounds and nigh impossible to keep patching them out (minus cheating software, I’m referring simply to workarounds for control input). But it’s far more simplified on a platform you wholly control with a more favorable EULA that enables MS to monitor and alter as needed. Or split into controller-only or mixed playlists. And again, MS is going to want to Trojan horse XBL with Halo Infinite, so I’m sure that’s complicating measures somewhat.

Alternativey, MS is very much in an experimental mode, seeing what sticks and what the market responds to. Play Anywhere and Gamespass are consumer friendly but both cap the revenue upside. And with Halo - MS’ highest grossing first party title - I can discern why they might be reluctant to brand it as a single license product.

lefty1117

Gold Member
play anywhere might not even be a concept when it comes out. xbox and PC may be interchangeable, I'm calling it the PCbox

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Free to play jokes aside, I think it;s just so far off that they are being smart by not locking themselves into anything that isn't 100% obvious just yet. Who knows what play anywhere will look like by the time this releases.

The Alien

Banned
Not gonna chisel it in stone just yet. Gears 5 has a release date for this generation. Halo Infinite has no release date and is rumored to be a next gen title.

BANGS

Banned
I believe, as someone stated earlier, that no crossplay is the matter of the controls, meaning mouse + keyboard combo would give an unfair advantage over standard controller. And yeah, Xbox Play Anywhere doesn't equal to crossplay.
I don't understand why they don't just allow mouse and keyboard support for the console and/or separate game modes for those that don't want the unfair advantage...

Skyn3t

Banned
They just might do that, but it's far too early in the development cycle to consider such things. Don't see Xbox Store placeholders as a any viable representation of the final release.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Not according to Microsoft's store page which is exactly where both of those images are pulled from that of which shows Gears 5 as Play Anywhere and not Halo Infinite even though both are under the same formatting.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/gears-5

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/halo-infinite

Given they've already said all future MS first party titles are Play Anywhere and on GamePass going forward, then at worst, my guess is that this is an oversight.

Top Bottom