• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how are your kickstarted games coming along, GAF?

Pejo

I just realized that only a single game I backed in either IndieGoGo or Kickstarter has released. Let's see where the rest are so far:

1. Code Hardcore - Just got an update from them today which sparked this thought. It's a 2.5D mecha side scrolling action game with a campaign and PVP. Status: In Development

2. Bloodstained - 2.5D Igavania from actual Iga. Last update 12 days ago, they seem to be fairly frequent with updates. Mostly seem to be working on music and making another playable demo for us. Status: In Development

3. Wizard of Legend - 2D Isometric Action game where you combine spells to make it through levels. Content complete according to their update 5 days ago, just looking at getting the game cleared and released. Status: Waiting for Release

4. Indivisible - 2D Valkyrie Profile-esque platformer. Update was sent out a few weeks ago, looks like they're still working on the battle system. Status: In Development

5. Arcana Heart 3 Love Max Six Stars - I'm not exactly sure what I pledged for with this game, but I think everything has released? I got an update with some digital content in Feb of this year, and a bit before that got a Steam copy of the base arcade port without the enhancements and extra content. I'll admit, I haven't played it as much as I'd want to, but it looks like they probably delivered everything I signed up for. Status: Released and delivered(?)

6. Shenmue III - Got an update on Feb 24 with some screenshots that don't look especially graphically impressive, but they seem to be actually working on the game. Status: In Development

I think that's all I have. It's kinda depressing that this is where we're at with these crowdfunding games, considering the age of most of these projects and the inconsistent dripfeed of updates. It's been so long for most that I don't even remember that I pledged for them most of the time. I feel like this platform is great for giving fans of games what they want, but there should probably be some sort of management to make sure goals are being hit etc. So far I haven't had any disaster backings like those guys that just take the money and run, or Mighty #9, but I feel the steam has been pretty much taken out of crowdfunding as a whole by this point.

Anyways, what do your damage reports look like, GAF? Have any of you pledged to a game that hit the original target in quality and timeline, and actually released and didn't suck?

Last edited:

MoogleMan

I've gotten all of mine so far; yooka laylee, sundered and children of the zodiarcs. Still waiting on bloodstained, beautiful desolation, battle princess madelyne.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I Never backed a Kickstarter and I don't think I ever will. I will support the games I'm interested in by buying them, thats the best I can do.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Mighty no.9 - complete garbage.

Bloodstained - Wii U version cancelled so I got a refund.

Shenmue III - still waiting but im optimistic despite it looking so poor at every turn.

dc3k

I backed Yooka Laylee. It was very late and maybe a 5/10 game. I didn't pay much so it's not a big deal, but I was looking forward to it.

dottme

I have Shenmue 3. I’m still optimistic for this one.
I have battlechaser. The first promised version are released. But I’m waiting for the Switch version.

Chessr

I backed Armikrog. When it finally released on Wii U my intererest was gone so too bad :p

Then i backed a JRPG . Soul Saga and it actually release on steam this summer apparently :eek: Pledged 25 dollars lol for a Wii U version :p too late now i guess lol

I backed Cult County wich never released :(

Last edited:

cireza

I kickstarted a few games only, because I don't have much confidence in the system overall.

MUV-LUV on PS Vita : don't care anymore, it has been so much time, I don't even play Vita anymore.

Sharin no Karin or Kuni on PS Vita : can't even remember the name of the game lol, same as MUV-LUV.

Shenmue 3 : kickstarted it, but never had confidence in it. I am ready to be disappointed.

Bloodstained : looks like this one is managed correctly, development taking quite some time, not too excited because this will probably be copy/pasted from other Igavania games in the end, but still mildly interested.

Xenocrisis : by far the best game I backed. Everything seems to handled with great professionalism, the game is extremely ambitious for the system and looks promising, the team looks very talented and experienced. This is the kind of stuff I want to see in games I support on kickstarter.

I also backed other projects on other websites. Adagio's latest album called Life, you could compare this to Xenocrisis : incredibly well handled, absolute quality delivered to us (the album is out). Glad I backed this project.

I don't know if Monster World and Dragon's Trap remake had kickstarters, but I would have backed those. Bought Dragon's Trap day one, again this was a very high quality product. Great work. Looking forward to Monster Boy !

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero: It released, I got my code. It was fine. (I bailed on a disappearing block section.)

Broken Age (Double Fine Adventure): It released, I got my code. It was fine. (I loved the first half but never really came back for part 2.)

Last edited:

Mathrin

I only have Phoenix Point backed on Fig - Seems to be progressing well from what I can see. Very excited!

Dubloon7

Banned
Yooka Laylee - (sold my switch code) Bought physical PS4 copy for dirt cheap, GREAT GAME!

Lost Ember - In development

(Board Games)
Dark Souls - POS GARBAGE game. Avoid this trash!
Gloomhaven - Meaty mediocre game. I have others that are better than this. My main problem with this game is: takes too much time to setup and teardown. Literally 30+ minutes for each
Folklore - In production

Last edited:

Pejo

Yooka Laylee - (sold my switch code) Bought physical PS4 copy for dirt cheap, GREAT GAME!

Lost Ember - In development

(Board Games)
Dark Souls - POS GARBAGE game. Avoid this trash!
Gloomhaven - Meaty mediocre game. I have others that are better than this. My main problem with this game is: takes too much time to setup and teardown. Literally 30+ minutes for each
Folklore - In production
Is that Folklore board game about the PS3 game?

KamelRed

Neo Member
I've only Kickstarted Bloodstained. So far so good, IMO. Another alpha demo is planned and a release date for the final game is going to be announced soon I believe.

I'm not looking for Iga to re-invent the wheel so if its just a copy+paste of his previous Igavania games, I'm happy.

Shifty

The one kickstarter I've backed is Fight Knight, and that's because they came to the table with a solid demo. It seems to be going pretty well so far, the devs are active on twitter and post progress updates pretty regularly.

I'm optimistic about it.

Last edited:

Muku

To be honest, I don't tend to Kickstart in general. Only done it once, and it was non game related. However, got my husband to do one for me under his account, before I created mine, and I'm still waiting for it: Stonehearth. At this point though, I've given up. I mean, I hear it's had issues, but I don't feel like it's a game I'll ever play at this point. The idea at the time was something I could get into. I still probably could, but I guess at this point time is an issue. Maybe one day.

Wasteland 2 - garbage
Pillars of Eternity - good
Torment - garbage
Kingdom Come - haven't played it yet but already provided hours of entertainment
Oculus Rift - great

As I checked my profile, I was reminded of the failed Kickstarter for Uwe Boll's Rampage sequel. I really wanted that autograph!

rbanke

I've only kickstarted Drift Stage, and then only because the guy behind it is near me. That was end of 2015 and it seems like he's still working on it, but theres never updates outside of personal twitter screenshots. Not holding out hope.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
Shantae was deivered beyond my expectations, including expansions and plenty of steam keys, even though i backed a ps3/ps4 key: 10/10
Shenmue 3 still in the works

Airola

Mysterious Cities of Gold (WiiU)
Backed for support and the title theme playing on the trailer certainly helped as it felt really nostalgic even though I haven't seen the original series ever.
Eventually got the game. It's an ok stealth puzzle adventure.

Twisted Fusion (WiiU)
Backed for support.
Eventually got the game but haven't really played it yet.

Hex Heroes (WiiU)
Another game I backed for support instead of having that big of an interest to the game.
The game is still not ready and I'm not sure if they are willing to go for the WiiU version anymore. They have said it's not impossible though.

Wizard's Day (WiiU)
I was really interested in this isometric platforming adventure but it never passed the goal.

The Arkade - A classic Christian Video Game Plug and Play (NES)
Originally I backed for the plug and play system, but as they had a real NES cart also available I opted for that.
I love Spiritual Warfare :)
Eventually got the cart.

La-Mulana 2 (PC)
The sequel to the best video game ever made.
This is a project I backed out of love. I can't wait for the game to be released. It should finally happen at some point this year.
According to the updates they seem to be near the finish line.

NathanVS.

Neo Member
Only Yooka Laylee, and I enjoyed every minute of it! I actually wish I can back more. Crowdfunding gets a lot of poop, some for the right reasons, but people forget games like Shovel Knight and A Hat in Time were also crowd funded. I've seen more hits than misses, but all in all you aren't guaranteed a quality product. I look at it as I'm not just interested in your ideas and your ambitions, but I want to help you grow as a developer in what I think is one of the most bravest careers you can get into. Your first product might flunk, but learning from your mistakes, with time and a lot of hard work you can and will succeed.

Yooka Laylee isn't the greatest indie game out there, but I love and respect Playtonic as both people and developers. In every interview you read from them, you can tell they are serious about game development. With what I think is a first good starting entry, I have only high hopes for them in the future.

Makariel

I was shocked just how much I had backed when I logged into kickstarter...

In chronological order:

Doublefine adventure - which turned into Broken Age, which was supposed to be a classic adventure game, whimsical but simplistic
Wasteland 2 - got it and was quite ok albeit a bit repetitive, they could have tweaked the gameplay
FTL - must I say anything about this? Awesome starship roguelike.
The Banner Saga - beautiful artwork let down by odd turn based system which is easily exploited and borderline broken, next:
TAKEDOWN - 34% metacritic says it all I guess. Next:
Shadowrun Returns - cool cyberpunk RPG with good story albeit a bit limited in scope, but well worth the money I threw at it
Republique - decent stealth-puzzle game for iOS when I was still having a working iPhone
CLANG - by Neal Stevenson, never got anywhere -> FAIL
Broken Sword The Serpent's Curse - nice traditional point & click adventure
Project Giana - jump & run which in hindsight I have no idea why I backed, but I got it. Never actually played that thing.
Planetary Annihilation - when I still thought that I still care about RTS. Turns out: I don't. Not the game's fault though.
Pillars of Eternity - got it, but didn't manage to play far because I got it while plenty of other long games were coming out at the same time, still on my pile of shame
Sir, you are being hunted - proof that a fun sounding concept doesn't mean much. Boring game.
Star Citizen - well, at least I got my refund now...
Elite: Dangerous - the better Star Citizen
Maia - was sold as dungeon keeper meets dwarf fortress, has yet to meet anyone, funded 2012 but takes as long as Star Citizen
Asylum - horror game in an... asylum. There are still regular updates but I lost track of it at some point
Torment - got it, one more for the PoS, since it's too long and I have too little time
Shroud of the Avatar - Richard Garriotts MMORPG, just threw some money in the pot because nostalgia
Telepath tactics - tries to be Fire Emblem, fails IMO, played for a bit but got bored quite quickly
Battleworlds Kronos - backed and got a decent turn based strategy game akin to the old Battle Isle games
MASSIVE CHALICE - decent turn-based strategy game, but never completed the campaign
Warmachine Tactics - I got it at some point but never even started the game...
Satellite Reign - Syndicate for the new generation! Quite nice cyberpunk tactics game.
Mighty No. 9 - yeah I got something alright, but that ain't no Megaman eh?
Hyper Light Drifter - delightful Zeldalike game with lovely artwork and music, and good but punishing gameplay
Shadowrun Hong Kong - more of the good stuff, did everything Returns did but one better, and the last:
Battletech - awaiting release within the month.

Overall I got something out of most of them, some are MIA, Star Citizen I got a refund, only one outright fail so far. About half of this list was backed in 2012, pretty much the other half in 2013 and I got to my senses after that. Only two more games where I threw money into afterwards, Shadowrun HK and Battletech. Also: in 2012/13 I still had my previous job with way more free time, noticeable isn't it?

Garani

Here is my situation:

Elite Dangerous
Delivered. It is actually a wonderful experience. Paid a huge amount of money when founded, and now, for a few euros, I have got another copy for my son. Very happy about it.

Star Citizen
In Development. I still have to understand where/what/how/when... IMO it is in a real messy situation. Still the communication is good and i hope they sort things out. Not too happy.

Megatokyo VN
Basically Dropped. The project turned out to be total vaporware. I have engaged the dev team, asking them to come out and say that it is basically dead, and so be it. Still today they swear that is it not dead and they were working on it. Trust me: it's dead Jim. I am very pissed.

Amplitude
Delivered. And my son had a ton of fun with it. Ver happy about it.

The Universim
In Development. Going kinda slow, but it is moving along at a faster rate lately. The game is actually pretty good, from what we have see up to now, and I have high hopes it will deliver. Quite happy about it.

Shenmue III
In Development. I am afraid this is going to be another project that will be scrapped. It is basically vaporware, IMHO. Not too happy.

So, yeah, 2 delivered, one dead, the rest in development. We'll see what the future will bring.

e0n

I was shocked just how much I had backed when I logged into kickstarter...

Wow, this is like every notable kickstarter game since 2012. I don't really back but I've been following several games such as Bloodstained, La-Mulana 2, Battletech, and Indivisible which, surprisingly, are all slated to release this year.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Elite Dangerous - have played hundreds of hours
Star Citizen - disappointment verging on refunding
Tides of Numenaria - quite enjoyed it, didn't finish it
The Bard's Tale IV - alpha demo just came out today, looks pretty good, not going to be a AAA game in size or scope

Top Bottom