• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, how quiet is *your* ps5/xsx?

How loud are your next-gen console's fans, really?

• My breath is louder

Votes: 144 59.0%
  • I can barely, BARELY hear the fans

Votes: 82 33.6%
  • It is noticeable, but not annoying

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • It's almost as loud as the ps4 pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *insert man blown by jet engines gif*

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Banned
Basically silent. It's really noticeable coming from PS4 (slim). Although, I haven't played any true PS5 exclusives yet, so I guess the system hasn't really been tested.

every game currently running on a PS5, that has evem the slightest framedrops, like RE8 in RT mode, uses the full power of the system. as in the GPU is stressed to the point where it can't keep up anymore. and with RT on, the CPU will also be tasked a lot.

so if you have played anything that doesn't run at a stable framerate, you played a game that pushes the GPU to its limits, and if you played anything with RayTracing it pushes the CPU as well.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
XSX

Undetectable when playing.

Following a multi-hour long session...after I turn the TV off and place my controller next to the console...my ears are like 2 feet away. Just the fan, still crazy quiet. I have to make an effort to hear anything.

My PS5 is really silent.
I actually realised now as I'm writing this that it hasn't done the random disc spinny-thing in a long time!

RGB'D

XSX silent, PS5 a little louder but not bad at all, my PC... woof. Price to pay for the fps/RT/Ultra quality

Xeaker

The PS4 was quite too when it was released. It just gets loud the older it get and also more demanding games coming out in the later years.
So who knows if the PS5 keeps quite in 5 years LOL

Ceadeus

Maybe it does not count but my series S is quiet. It never goes hot either which is a huge bonus.

We've came a long way since last gen engineering

So what's with the disk spinning issue that some people are having?

I know the system needs to check the disk to make sure you actually have it but after that everything should be done with the SSD.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Considering some comments I've read on here, I bet some of the members of GAF are pretty loud mouth breathers, so I don't know if "my breath is louder" is a valid choice.

I can hear my PS5 when it's on. No where near the PS4 pro jet engine, but I hear it.

Moses85

After I put a Delta Fan into my Launch PS5 (which I got from a new PS5) it is soooo quiet. I sold the new PS5 with the old Fan 😅

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
PS5 owner since December......it's 100% silent no matter what i'm playing. I've played PS4 games, PS5 games with RT, PS5 games without RT, even have watched DVD and Bluray movies lol.....no noise whatsoever. If im playing something for a few hrs and get up and put my ear really close to the back of it, i hear a very faint noise of air coming out. I'm lucky to have one of the truly silent ones.

THEAP99

Banned
Have both ps5 and series x. I can here the ps5 more often, slightly noticeable coil whine. Series X is quite quiet but I can feel hot air being blown out the top, good hand warmer

MacReady13

XSX- deadly silent.
PS5- Silent apart from a very very tiny minor coil whine that is seriously almost inaudible unless I put my ear to the console, and even then you can barely hear it.

PS5 owner since November, I currently have it behind the OLED and sometimes I forget it's back there and I'm like "Oh yeah, I own a PS5" lol. Its dead silent.

XXL

PS5 Disc Version

I've never used a disc though, I couldn't get the Digital Version.

It's silent.

Both my PS5 and XSX are nearly silent, no matter what I am playing. I’d have to get really near either of them to hear anything.
No coil whine on my PS5 either.
I’m super happy with both - I went through two PS4 Pros that were loud as hell.

Top Bottom