• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I am playing Earthbound and it is terrible so far, am I doing it wrong?

I widely consider Mother 3 to be one of the best games I have ever played. I listed it on my number 2 spot in Gaf's Essential RPG thread. The game is brilliantly paced, contained a great cast, and an engaging narrative. There was never really a dull moment for the game.

So when I saw that Earthbound was available for purchase with my Club Nintendo reward points I was excited. Unlike most that have played Mother 3, I have never played Earthbound, so I was ready for another incredible gaming experience. What I ended up getting was...a very mediocre game. It is like everything that made Mother 3 so good is absent here. The game is paced horribly, I mean it is just so boring. There are two things that contribute to this. The first has to do with the enemies. Battles are impossible to avoid and aren't fun at all. You can almost never run away while in battle, and once your player dies you have to refight all of the enemies all over again. But a bigger problem is how saves work. As of where I am now, I can't save wherever I want. This can get really annoying as you clear out a whole labyrith and are about to fight a boss just to die and redo everything again. At least you keep your experience. This is strange as in Mother 3 frogs were placed in the right places to make sure that players wouldn't get burnt out.

I won't comment on the cast as I am still early on in the game, but in terms of narrative the game is hardly engaging at all. I still remember the beginning of Mother 3 when
Flint starts attacking his neighbors when he realizes that his wife has died.
In comparison Earthbound has hardly anything memorable at all.

There are also many other complaints I have toward this game from the brain dead battles (I know this is the SNES but holy shit) to how slow your character seems to move, but all in all this game seems to just not be that special.

I am still very early on in the game as I am trying to find that preschool teacher, but so far the game is very...boring.

leroidys

Yeah, it's not as good as Mother 3. It's one of those games where you're just supposed to embrace the terrible and it becomes good, like Vagrant Story.

The story picks up later, but the narrative is a lot less direct than Mother 3.

Crayolan

Earthbound is a lot more about the adventure and quirkiness than Mother 3, which is mostly focused on the story and characters. Sounds like you came in expecting something the game is not.

extralite

I'd recommend the first one because of its superior story but it has the same saving system as Earthbound. You can make your own restart points with bread though.

Mother 3 is a portable game, which might explain the saving system. It also is based on FFIV, whereas Mother 1 and 2 are based on DQ1 and 3 (mostly in terms of story).

I still loved Earthbound for its quirkyness but it is the weakest of the set. Although the gameplay is topnotch and Mother 3 doesn't improve as much as 2 did over 1 in that regard.

Earthbound hasn't really aged horribly, but other people were correct in that the game is more of an experience. I would say to keep going since you're not really anywhere in the game yet (you're still using Ness only, after all), and once you get to say...Saturn Village or Threed (whichever comes first, I forget) you'll know for sure if you want to keep playing or not.

EDIT: But obviously if you really don't like it then by all means stop playing. I'm just sayin, is all.

I guess I'll keep on truckin' for a little bit.

Earthbound is a lot more about the adventure and quirkiness than Mother 3, which is mostly focused on the story and characters. Sounds like you came in expecting something the game is not.

That's the thing. I don't see no adventure, only just little quirkiness.

It's one of those games where you're just supposed to embrace the terrible and it becomes good, like Vagrant Story.

Another terrible game.

finngamer

I understand if you want to play the game "pure", but the savepoints are not an issue when you can use the Virtual Console's built-in saves?

Crayolan

I guess I'll keep on truckin' for a little bit.

Another terrible game.

You're only at the second town. You're gonna have to give the game some more time on that front.

Edit: I think I can echo the "if you don't like it by Saturn Valley, it's probably just not for you."

nerdbot

Earthbound gets good, but Onett is a huge slog. It's frontloaded with the worst of the gameplay in the game. It's very much an uphill grind. You're not playing it wrong, that's just how the game feels when you've only got one party member.

It gets genuinely fun at Twoson once you pick up Paula! I think it's worth chugging through, honestly, but I totally understand when people tell me they had to drop it because the beginning is too much.

solarus

I thought earthbound was way better than mother 3 personally. Preferred the world, the plot, the music and the characters, it also felt less linear although i know both are v linear games i just didnt like how mother 3 was split into chapters. Both were great games though.

extralite

It definitely is a great adventure, but one where the episodes stand more on their own. If you're looking for narrative, 1 beats 2.

Another terrible game.
I enjoyed both games from start to finish but I wouldn't compare them. All the Mother games have great atmosphere and in that regard for me 2 was no exception. Sucks that you don't seem to enjoy it.

FyreWulff

Earthbound's pacing is terrible throughout the entire game. You constantly have this start-stop feel as you suddenly slam into a wall, arbitrarily, and often to overworld enemies and not bosses.

It also pulls some "lol we're so random" bullshit at certain spots that you basically start playing like you expect the game to fuck you over for doing the expected action.

It got to where every time I got to a new area, I'd fight enemies until I could auto win against them, and then grinded out 5 more levels before continuing because the game gives you status effects you can't cure on your own during battles because it likes kicking you while you're down.

extralite

Earthbound's pacing is terrible throughout the entire game. You constantly have this start-stop feel as you suddenly slam into a wall, arbitrarily, and often to overworld enemies and not bosses.

It also pulls some "lol we're so random" bullshit at certain spots that you basically start playing like you expect the game to fuck you over for doing the expected action.

I played the games in order, Earthbound 0 when the prototype was auctioned on ebay, Earthbound some years later when I got it used and Mother 3 at launch, had it preordered.

I used a holiday week for Earthbound, playing ~6 hours per day and beat it without trouble. Not sure what walls you hit but it was smooth sailing for me.

Edit, to answer your edit:
It got to where every time I got to a new area, I'd fight enemies until I could auto win against them, and then grinded out 5 more levels before continuing because the game gives you status effects you can't cure on your own during battles because it likes kicking you while you're down.

Status effects are standard RPG fare, they might be annoying but you can still win battles. I play without grinding, meaning I only level from normal exploring.

Aselith

I played the games in order, Earthbound 0 when the prototype was auctioned on ebay, Earthbound some years later when I got it used and Mother 3 at launch, had it preordered.

I used a holiday week for Earthbound, playing ~6 hours per day and beat it without trouble. Not sure what walls you hit but it was smooth sailing for me.

Bit o the PEBCAK I think

Dark_castle

I don't know, I liked Earthbound more than Mother 3. Maybe it's the more colourful, vibrant setting of the former and the overall atmosphere being more lighthearted and focusing on silly stuff, though Mother 3 is still great.

I do like Mother 3 more than Earthbound but the sentiment that Earthbound is "terrible" in a way Mother 3 isn't is weird to me. Ultimately they're both pretty light jRPGs with middling combat (Earthbound moreso since Mother 3's combo system is pretty fun). Earthbound is a little bit more punishing, but not so much more that it's really a big deal. (A lot of people think Onett is a rough start, but really, as long as you make sure to get the best equipment you can early on, you'll be fine and you won't have to grind at all.)

I don't really get why the OP is complaining about saves not being frequent enough, especially at the start of the game. I mean, aren't the only challenges in Onett the arcade (beat a handful of somewhat strong enemies, then two bosses) and the cave (beat a bunch of weak enemies and one boss)? It's not like Mother 3 where you're given save points right before the boss battles, yeah, but the bosses aren't hard enough that you would need them anyway.

extralite

I do like Mother 3 more than Earthbound but the sentiment that Earthbound is "terrible" in a way Mother 3 isn't is weird to me. Ultimately they're both pretty light jRPGs with middling combat (Earthbound moreso since Mother 3's combo system is pretty fun). Earthbound is a little bit more punishing, but not so much more that it's really a big deal. (A lot of people think Onett is a rough start, but really, as long as you make sure to get the best equipment you can early on, you'll be fine and you won't have to grind at all.)

I don't really get why the OP is complaining about saves not being frequent enough, especially at the start of the game. I mean, aren't the only challenges in Onett the arcade (beat a handful of somewhat strong enemies, then two bosses) and the cave (beat a bunch of weak enemies and one boss)? It's not like Mother 3 where you're given save points right before the boss battles, yeah, but the bosses aren't hard enough that you would need them anyway.
Actually, 3 was the hardest for me because I avoided too many enemies. And I sucked at the combo system too, lol. Still beat it in two weeks I think.

jb1234

I thought Earthbound was a terrible bore whereas Mother 3 was pretty amazing. It's not uncommon to dislike one game while liking the other, especially if you connected more to Mother 3's characters and story (something which Earthbound isn't particularly strong with).

Mother 3 gets way too preachy and it's much more traditional story and character-wise, earthbound is better. But yeah, its gameplay was pretty archaic even for the time. It's supposed to be a parody of DQ after all.

extralite

I thought Earthbound was a terrible bore whereas Mother 3 was pretty amazing. It's not uncommon to dislike one game while liking the other, especially if you connected more to Mother 3's characters and story (something which Earthbound isn't particularly strong with).

I think it is remarkable that the third game in a series apparently was played by so many people who weren't interested in the series before. Normally most of the people interested in the third game of a series would have played the ones before it.

I guess the fan translation did generate some interest with a new audience.

If I look at my own starts into various series, I started FF with 6 (also because it was highly praised in reviews) and then worked myself through the previous games. FFIV was shorter and harder than 6 (yes, the easytype version) but it was convincing and I enjoyed it. FF1 was all grind fest and no story and I hated it. FF2 was much better than 1 thanks to having a strong narrative and the gameplay was unique. 3 finally resembled 4 and onward and I consider 3 a great game even today. 5 is the masterpiece in the series from a gameplay standpoint, only 10 and 13 compare. So except for FF1 I enjoyed the older games even though I started with a modern one.

I started Megaten with Nocturne and then played MT2 and SMT1, enjoying both greatly, for the negotiation systems, even though they lacked the modern gameplay brilliance that was press turn.

If you like RPGs at all, Earthbound should be a feast, I would have thought.

Earthbound is a lot less instantly gratifying than Mother 3. Mother 3 opens with a lot of story and characters very quickly, whereas Earthbound begins a lot more gradually.

Also, you can avoid quite a few fights. Try harder.

I felt the same way. I beat a few bosses and got to the desert or whatever, think I passed that too and then I just dropped it, It's just so fucking boring. I was ready to love it, that's why I bought it, but it seems it was not meant to be.

I liked some of the music though, so there is that.

Very bland and lifeless game. The much talked about quirkiness isnt really all that quirky. It is more like some boring middle manager's sad attempt to be silly and funny like the cartoon strips of his lost youth.

Earthbound is like Jim Davis drawing Calvin and Hobbes or Peanuts.

Celine

Running away or avoiding battles in games like Dragon Quest and Earthboud is a mistake.

Mother 2 is in my top 5 SNES RPG, timeless classic thanks to the settings and scenario writing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I get you.
I beat the game for the 1st time a few days ago, Mother 3 is in my top5 games of all time and I felt very similar to you. BUT the game and story picks up later (MUCH later. I'd say the game started coming together for me past 15 hours) and I ended up loving it. I'm not kidding, I don't want to say that I thought "what the fuck is this shit" before that, but yeah close to it... I mean I was loving the aesthetics and some music but besides that I was "ugh, THIS is the beloved Mother 2?", overall I was super disappointed.
Stick with it. I'm very glad I did, and I usually never do so this was a special case because no way I'm playing an average to mediocre game for more than a couple hours, to go past 10 hours it honestly took all of my respect for Itoi and my love for Mother 3 and how iconic Earthbound was in the gaming circles. It was worth it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
What in the fuck am I reading about Vagrant Story in this thread %)

Very bland and lifeless game. The much talked about quirkiness isnt really all that quirky. It is more like some boring middle manager's sad attempt to be silly and funny like the cartoon strips of his lost youth.

"Ok, pop quiz! A Beatles song XXXterday. Can you fill in the blanks?"
-Yes
-No

That is quirky as hell mane. The game is anything but lifeless. I understand opinions and all but this is just...damn.

Dryk

I wouldn't exactly call the combat mindless. It might seem that way since you're not trying to juggle healing/etc mid battle yet but I thought Earthbound stood out as a game where even generic trash enemies could kick your arse if you weren't careful.

(I played it last year)

extralite

I don't think that is a fair assessment, especially since you're missing a very important part of the picture. Earthbound is American culture seen from a Japanese. This article I translated is about the first Mother but it should give you some idea what Earthbound means to its intended audience:

Mother Literature Magazine

American Literature of the 80ies as seen in Mother

It’s interesting for children but even more so for adults

TAKAHASHI Gen’ichirō

About the author: Born in 1951 in Hiroshima prefecture. After dropping out of Yokohama National University he drifted from job to job and traveled, working on construction sites for example. In 1981 he suddenly made his debut as a novelist with Sayōnara gyangu-tachi (Sayonara, Gangsters) and became one of the greatest authors in quite a while. First winner of the Mishima Literature Prize.2

The first RPG to be populated by characters from the present

Before I started playing Mother, I was a bit concerned. Originally RPGs were a type of game that was firmly rooted in the historical genre, in other words they were stories about the middle ages. Will it still be interesting if you turn it into a contemporary setting, will it be convincing, I worried myself with questions like these. But once I started playing I honestly felt it was a lot of fun.

The game starts with a manifestation of a poltergeist. RPGs up until now had very fixed tropes like searching for a missing princess or a treasure. In a modern setting, since there are no princesses or treasures, it’s hard to come up with a concrete reason for going on a journey.

However for a contemporary setting there is the fixed form of the adventure novel to fall back on, the pattern of a boy going on a journey to look for something.

When I saw this pattern fall into place as a game neatly from the beginning, that turned out to be quite enjoyable.

Usually in medieval fantasy the enemy characters take the concrete forms of demons and monsters and if you think about what would appear in a modern setting, it makes sense to have aliens, or people and animals that are being manipulated by something making them appear scary and even trucks and cars as enemy characters.

The notion of “not killing” is what makes a good adventure novel have a good aftertaste

And what I liked the most about it was that you didn’t kill the enemy characters. It’s common in games to cruelly kill enemies left and right, and as this serves to release our sadistic urges it was essential to games. Yet in Mother, the enemies return to their senses. This means the author’s way of thinking, his feelings toward the issue fill the game with life right to its core, and that made me feel extremely good about the game.

That is not to say that sadistically finishing off the enemy makes me feel bad in any way but you can’t help but have a bitter aftertaste after watching a splatter movie or reading a splatter novel.

Reading a good boys’ novel on the other hand leaves an extremely good aftertaste. That was it. As I played the game, I noticed the many concrete cases of the game being considerate about this issue. And that was convincing. This is one example how Mother brilliantly succeeds in putting the boy adventure novel formula into game form.

Horizontal movement through a vast space, the defining trait of American adventure novels

In current American literature, as if by a strange coincidence there are two novels similar to Mother. Stephen King’s Talisman and Greg Bear’s The Infinity Concerto. What is even more interesting is that in the afterword to The Infinity Concerto Bear says that after finishing writing his novel he read Talisman and was dumb struck by the similarities. The same kind of coincidence happened with Mother. The time was ripe for such a story to be written, and a capable writer couldn’t help but write it.

The setting is that of a boy, although living in present times, going on an adventure to the realm of demons.

A boy going on an adventure, growing up and returning, that is a staple theme in American literature. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, or its modern version, Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye is the most American type of American novels. The genres bildungsroman and youth novel exist in every country, but I get the impression that the American works in these genres often feature a slightly younger boy wandering through the wilderness, growing up and returning. In the European examples a young man falls in love and is distressed by it, and changes as a person, arriving on a different plane. It touches you in a different way.

America has its wilderness. Originally America was a frontier, with an unknown world to the West, traveling there and a boy growing up, these two aspects conveniently happen to overlap. Love is also an element of that journey.

In Europe, everything turns into vertical movement. Descending into the realm of demons, and rising up to the heavens. It’s the vertical movement of life and death.

Compared to that America basically has horizontal movement. Even when going to the demon’s lair, although feeling somewhat European, the protagonist still moves along a map. This consistent sideway movement is is exactly as in an RPG. Huckleberry Finn too follows the river Mississippi for several thousand miles upwards and downwards. For an American, this invites nostalgia.

The rebuilding of the family is the theme of 80ies’ America

Another special trait of current American literature is contained in Mother, the theme of rebuilding the family after it was ruined. Stories set in the aftermath of the ruin of a family are numerous in American novels of the 70ies. For an American, the 50ies were the golden age, the 60ies were an age of turbulence and commotion, with kids raising objections towards their fathers, and in the 70ies the scars of these eventful times remained.

Entering the 80ies marks a recovery from these scars, in other words there is a process of golden age – turbulence – scar – recovery. In concrete terms, the generation of the fathers or that of the older brothers went to the Vietnam war and returned from it. There was one generation of people who died or lost limbs, and the generation of their younger brothers and sisters are writing the American novels of today.

At the same time, the 60ies also were a time of drastic changes in the family structure. You had divorced mothers and unmarried mothers, in other words families without a father. Then there were also families which had lost their fathers in the war, in addition the sexual revolution occurred and it was a time when the traditional family broke apart in various senses.

The younger brothers and sisters faced another attack from a different direction with AIDS, or they had an actual injury in their family, making the wish to heal that injury so great that they began to review their family situation.

They didn’t want to break up the family structure but rather to return after having left. “Let’s not do this anymore”, “The 50ies were much better than this.”

So if we apply this to the story of the boy, he becomes the bond that keeps the family together. The boy going on a journey and returning becomes a metaphor for returning to the family itself, to what made the family good originally.

In King’s case also, the father who is depended on by the boy is glimpsed faintly in the background. This means the boy is not all alone, the concept of family offers warmth, and the feeling of wanting to return to that kind of family, the reliable family of the 50ies, overlaps with the image.

Back to the future of the golden 50ies

In Mother too, shades of the 50ies abound. The music is one aspect, the pompadour hair of the older party member another, these are indicators of the time when the family was still alright.

That RPGs chose the middle ages as the time of their setting has the same significance as current American literature seeing the 50ies as the age when there was a father, as the golden age.

There is a classic book by Huizinga called The Autumn of the Middle Ages in which the middle ages are rehabilitated. Huizinga points out the mistake in viewing that time as the dark middle ages, and writes that actually the sensitivities of the people during that time could be said to have been in full bloom, that in a way it was the age of a golden autumn.

Americans feel the same way about the 50ies. High school, first kiss, prom night, yes, the world of American Graffiti is made of exactly these things. There is a hard working mom and a surefooted dad that hasn’t lost his dignity. On an imaginary level The Goonies and American Graffiti are one and the same. A child growing up during the age of Kramer vs. Kramer doesn’t have time to go on a journey, with their family falling apart. However, as the boy grows up and enters the 80ies, he feels he should “do things more gently” by going “Back to the Future” into the 50ies as people personally remember them. Getting in a fight with a young man with pompadour hair, you can feel it in your heart, this is the 50ies. If one is to create the fixed form of a balanced contemporary setting, the result is America of the 50ies.

Paranormal powers are the weapon of the game that links past and present

Paranormal powers serve as an important new element to link the past and present. The 80ies are quite mechanical, aren’t they. Everything is firmly defined and we’re surrounded by things that make it hard for a time slip to occur. So there needs to be some supplement. If for an American the 50ies relate to the middle ages, there needs to be a weapon that makes the 50ies appear like the middle ages. For that paranormal powers fill in.

Paranormal powers are a metaphor for a past power that has become dormant inside oneself, a secret power which represents the act of going to somewhere not the present despite it being the present. King’s Carrie is an example for this. I think there are two sides to it: As something that connects to a lost age, giving the boy and girl supernatural powers also becomes a crucial element that serves as the key to make the RPG itself take form as a game.

At present, America is faced with the problem of running out of frontiers but the image of America is still that of a country that demands frontiers. Close Encounters of the Third Kind and E.T. are really frontiers for the American viewer. Americans never cease to expand their border into what is the outside for them and in that sense aliens from outer space are like a native population.

And in the present, as a way of communication with the unknown outside, supernatural powers become indispensable.

Mother has everything an adventure novel needs

Another important genre British and America literature has is fantasy. It is the same in C. S. Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia, but the important key that connects boys’ literature and fantasy literature is Magicant.

The present has a place that directly connects to the fantasy world. To travel that world of fantasy is yet another frontier. In both The Chronicles of Narnia and The Wizard of Oz the secret passage to the world of fantasy is a door in one’s house.

In that sense Mother both has the elements of the 50ies boy’s adventure novel and that of the Narnia type fantasy novel, and everything needed for a boy’s story is covered. Reading such a story lifts the spirits of an American reader.

You could say there is not a single reason why Mother wouldn’t be a hit in America.

Source

Mxrz

Sounds like you want to it to be a game it just isn't--Mother 3 II.

Earthbound stood out for all the things it wasn't trying to do. There's no overwrought drama. No cliched party members. No misguided villain. Just a simple adventure set through a quaint modern world (mostly). The game was much more subtle and surprising when it did take a serious tone.

Also fairly challenging, at least early on. Beating the Onett boss felt like an actual feat. One that was rewarded with being able to explore more freely. Same with the rest of the towns.

Yeah, it's not as good as Mother 3. It's one of those games where you're just supposed to embrace the terrible and it becomes good, like Vagrant Story.

The story picks up later, but the narrative is a lot less direct than Mother 3.

Woah.

Woah.

Woah.

Hey now.

There is nothing terrible about Vagrant Story

Earthbound's worst part is the early game, it makes a terrible first impression and is legit frustrating right up until the first boss at Giant's Step. The more party members you get and the further in you go the more fun it becomes, in my opinion.

NotLiquid

Incidentally I'm in the opposite camp.

Mother 3 made game play more enjoyable but the experience of that game was the complete antithesis of what made Earthbound so appealing to me. Earthbound felt partly like an immeasurable experience of a game designed by a kid rather than for one, and partly like a parody of RPGs that were prevalent at a time.

In contrast, Mother 3 feels a lot more like the RPGs that Earthbound would end up parodying. It's like a normal RPG with a more calculated setup that is constantly conditioning you by its narrative choices rather than simple curiosity. I wasn't too fond of the overly tragic angle of the game which made most of the quirky stuff feel off. It was more like a game that "happened to have quirk in" it rather than a "quirky game", executed in a way that was only done because it felt like they kept forgetting it was a Mother game. At its heart, Earthbound was an experience analogous to maturing and growing up.

Earthbound isn't really a game for everyone of course by those parameters. Mother 3 is much, much more accessible in every way, but in the context of the series it isn't really the kind of game I was interested in.

Dark_castle

Incidentally I'm in the opposite camp.

Mother 3 made game play more enjoyable but the experience of that game was the complete antithesis of what made Earthbound so appealing to me. Earthbound felt partly like an immeasurable experience of a game designed by a kid rather than for one, and partly like a parody of RPGs that were prevalent at a time.

In contrast, Mother 3 feels a lot more like the RPGs that Earthbound would end up parodying. It's like a normal RPG with a more calculated setup that is constantly conditioning you by its narrative choices rather than simple curiosity. I wasn't too fond of the overly tragic angle of the game which made most of the quirky stuff feel off. It was more like a game that "happened to have quirk in" it rather than a "quirky game", executed in a way that was only done because it felt like they kept forgetting it was a Mother game. At its heart, Earthbound was an experience analogous to maturing and growing up.

Earthbound isn't really a game for everyone of course by those parameters. Mother 3 is much, much more accessible in every way, but in the context of the series it isn't really the kind of game I was interested in.

What he said.

Though I think Mother 3 is still a fantastic game. Mother 4 fangame looking good as well despite being fanmade.

HGH

Banned
Oh hey someone doesn't like Earthbound, time to pile on top of them.

Generally speaking I agree with OP's sentiments. And really, people have been a lot less merciful to other games that "totally get better after 10 hours". The gameplay and balance are a mess through and through, and the humor and story just is not appealing no matter how you frame it. I played them in order and I'm so glad M3 was just leaps and bounds ahead, the gameplay was just more fun and even if there was a more traditional narrative, it still managed to be entertaining and funny and consistently present.

EDIT: I suppose I should add an addendum and prefix all the above with "For some people", because it's clear that taste is what seems to separate opinions here.

I thought earthbound was way better than mother 3 personally. Preferred the world, the plot, the music and the characters, it also felt less linear although i know both are v linear games i just didnt like how mother 3 was split into chapters. Both were great games though.

Oh yes.

Kangi

I wouldn't exactly call the combat mindless. It might seem that way since you're not trying to juggle healing/etc mid battle yet but I thought Earthbound stood out as a game where even generic trash enemies could kick your arse if you weren't careful.

(I played it last year)

Yeah. The rolling health system can make any battle exciting. It's always a shock that first time one of those trees explode on you, dealing loads more damage than you have health. Then you realize you're fine, because of rolling health.

Becomes much more intense late-game when you need to use it to your advantage as much as possible. Trying to pull off that lifeup ASAP as your health gets nuked by a sudden massive PSI attack. Heck, "tank the hit and heal it later" is pretty much your strategy on a certain boss.

Top Bottom