• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I bought a NUC Mini PC for my living room

I was thinking of getting one to basically be my new Plex server, but that dolphin performance is surprising to say the least ( I'm assuming you running regular Dolphin and not Ishiiruka). Wondering how well pcsx2 can run on this.

clav

There were lots of people reporting hardware failure problems with the Skylake line of NUCS. Not sure if intel has since addressed the issue, but a few months back when I was doing research there were an overwhelming amount of negative reviews. I went with the Broadwell model due to this.

I'd still look into Skylake because of what I said before.

Read my previous posts.

And what can I say...

It's AWESOME!

Specs:

Core i5 (5th gen)
8 GB RAM
256 GB SSD
Windows 10
512 GB Extern Samsung SSD (bought it extra)

It's this size for people that haven't heard about NUC before.

nx96brM.jpg

I installed Windows 10 for that DX12 Goodness.

It has a 4K Hardware Decoder on board.

Some impressions (have it since today):

-Boot time is so quick. Takes just a few secs
-all seems so fast and smooth
-the little pc is just ~10x10 cm 'big' and is very well built
-silent

Some other impressions...

I installed Dolphin Emu and what can I say.. with the DX12 GPU backend and some tweaks it runs sooo good!!! (2x res)

-Mario Kart Double Dash 60fps even in 4 player Split Screen Mode
-F-Zero GX 60fps
-Smash Bros Brawl 60fps
-Wii Sports 60fps
-Twilight Princess and Wind Waker fullspeed (30fps)
-Mario Galaxy 60fps
-New Super Mario Bros 60fps

I ran the games for 5 hours straight and it didn't even throttle (or the games didn't care) and all stayed smooth.

I'm so happy that I bought that little piece.
Bought it for ~420 bucks.

Hmm I'm looking to eventually get a new HTPC for running both Kodi AND games. The PC I have now chugs along with its i3 processor and BARELY runs PS2 games at default resolution, but it's great for media. I have had three USB External Drives plugged into it for my media collection. How many USB ports do you get with this?

Hmm I'm looking to eventually get a new HTPC for running both Kodi AND games. The PC I have now chugs along with its i3 processor and BARELY runs PS2 games at default resolution, but it's great for media. I have had three USB External Drives plugged into it for my media collection. How many USB ports do you get with this?

2 in the front and 2 in the back

bomblord1

Banned
Hmmm...interesting.
Was looking for something like this for some "lite" Steam games. Even at 720p and 30fps.

I've got Skyrim to run on an Atom at 720p Lowest settings and hovering around 30FPS. A desktop component like in the NUCS should do much better than that.

Lynd7

It's nice and small, maybe this would be a good option to have connected to a TV for streaming Kodi to? Also option for games would be nice.

Kanyon

You could buy Alienware Alpha for that much and get a decent GPU too.

You can't buy an Alienware Alpha with a good CPU for about $420. This is deliberately trading a GPU for a strong CPU.

I was really hoping the next version of the Alienware Alpha has a TB3.0 port to allow for eGPUs like the Razer Core, to offset the lack of upgradability of the onboard GPU. Although seeing how the Razer Core works with the NUC it could be a viable, cheaper alternative to building a no-fuss system which is what I'm after. Thanks for the info OP, will be looking into this now.

Nice one. It's a shame a new version of the HP Pavilion Mini with 5th gen Intel never happened - that was also a nice (and upgradeable) little box that ran quietly.

IMG_0879-980x425.jpg

IMG_0899-980x653.jpg

Edit, my bad, it does exist, though it maxes out at:

Intel® Core™ i3-5005U with Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

But yeah, the NUC, Pavilion Mini should be fine for anything on PS3/360, either running it equivalently or better. The Surface Pro 2, with 4th gen Intel ULV (4200U and Intel HD 4400) was for the most part. Though you'd want both memory slots filled in a dual channel config to ensure more memory bandwidth for graphics.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I use my Steam Link almost every day. I stream videos and play games. It was only $50. Totally worth it if you want your PC hooked up to your living room TV.

Nice one. It's a shame a new version of the HP Pavilion Mini with 5th gen Intel never happened - that was also a nice (and upgradeable) little box that ran quietly.

IMG_0879-980x425.jpg

IMG_0899-980x653.jpg

Edit, my bad, it does exist, though it maxes out at:

Intel® Core™ i3-5005U with Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

But yeah, the NUC, Pavilion Mini should be fine for anything on PS3/360, either running it equivalently or better. The Surface Pro 2, with 4th gen Intel ULV (4200U and Intel HD 4400) was for the most part. Though you'd want both memory slots filled in a dual channel config to ensure more memory bandwidth for graphics.

I have the Surface 2 Pro but most games struggle even at 720p. The HD4400 is too weak. The 6000 in the NUC isn't a beast but noticeable faster.

Kumubou

I have a 5th gen NUC... and I kind of wish I got something like one of the cheaper Alienware Alphas when they were on sale. They're not bad -- they just don't provide great value, especially since you still need to pay for a HDD, RAM and a Windows license (unless you opt to use Linux). Wasn't so bad in my instance since I had spares of all of those lying around but it does hurt the value proposition a fair bit.

Or maybe it's a bit of butthurt since the 6th gen NUCs solve some QOL issues the earlier boxes have (such as having HDMI out instead of mini-HDMI out and having a SD card reader built in) while having much better GPU performance. If you're going to buy one, I would probably go with the the 6th gen i5 as apparently the i7 models have significant throttling and noise issues under load. (And yes, if you are even THINKING of doing any gaming on these things, fill both RAM slots -- the performance hit you take from memory bandwidth otherwise is insane).

Interestingly, I did manage to get the Compute Stick that Intel has for $100 (on sale) and that has been a nice Chromecast/Steam Link replacement, and it's way more flexible since it runs Windows 10 straight. Doesn't have a ton of juice to it (duh, the thing is the size of a candy bar), the write performance on the flash storage is atrocious and it has an audible fan in it that comes up under load. But for its current use case (streaming video and potato gaming), it works well enough.

petran79

Banned
is it possible to install Linux on that PC or is it BIOS locked?
Ubuntu is lighter than w10 and performance of newer emulators is very good. Not sure about Intel GPU linux performance though

These are great boxes,Intels and Gigabytes.

I have a Intel one in the bedroom,dont game on it much but I use it as my media machine.Mines similar spec to yours

tzare

I've never been a pc gamer, but i'd be interested in one of these if i could play steam games decently (ps4 level at least)
Any option with a decent GPU?

That thing seems cool OP.
Hmm, I'm really tempted to get it just as an emulation box.
I already have an i7 and 980ti though. Maybe when it gets cheaper I'll bite.

Dali

I've seen used alienware alphas for about the same price. Would there be any advantage to getting this over a year or two old alpha with an i5, 8gb of ram, and an actual GPU (albeit not exactly a beast of one)?

I've seen used alienware alphas for about the same price. Would there be any advantage to getting this over a year or two old alpha with an i5, 8gb of ram, and an actual GPU (albeit not exactly a beast of one)?

I have the Alpha i5 and its great, the CPU is much better running dolphin than the i3. Also having an actual gpu means you can run most modern games at acceptable framerates.

I picked mine up in a sale quite a bit cheaper than the RRP so it was pretty good value, you always pay a premium on going small so with things like the NUCs and Alphas
it worth shopping around or going second hand.

nickerous

So, which one is the best for running steam games? Not streaming, but running. My actual desktop is 12 years old and still running xp. It aint streaming nothing. Really, all i want to play right now is Ori and the blind forest, but I dont want to buy a xbox for only that.

Erasus

So, which one is the best for running steam games? Not streaming, but running. My actual desktop is 12 years old and still running xp. It aint streaming nothing. Really, all i want to play right now is Ori and the blind forest, but I dont want to buy a xbox for only that.

Buy a real desktop instead.
400-500$ gets you a way better desktop if you buy the parts and build it

DESTROYA

Panther Canyon NUC with Tiger Lake and dedicated GPU sounds amazing, probably expensive but still amazing .

Last edited:
Top Bottom