• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I bought a used copy of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 and I can only play the tutorial!

Senketsu

What the heck is going on? Is my disc broken? Does it need an update? My PS4 is not connected to the internet right now so that is not an option.

Coketruck

The game shipped with only the tutorial on the disc. The rest of the game has to be downloaded in a nearly 8 gig "update". Otherwise, you've just got a demo disc.

Jito

Banned
I more surprised anyone would buy the new THPS and complain about it. It's known that it's a huge pile of shit.

Bedlam

WTF? Almost none of the content is contained on the disc?

It's still baffling to me that stuff like this isn't illegal.

I remember the game being on the disc, there's an option somewhere after finishing the tutorial to go to the next level. Look around, it's there.

Everyone says it required an update, but I played the whole game offline.

Fadobo

As others said, the rest of the game is not on the disc. It actually had a 7+ GB day-one patch containing the (still very buggy) rest of the game. The reason was, that Activision had extended the license for 15 years after the success of the first game. THPS5 came out on from what I heard was literally the last day before the license for new releases expired, so it had to be rushed out and the game was not ready for manufacturing at the deadline.

I remember the game being on the disc, there's an option somewhere after finishing the tutorial to go to the next level. Look around, it's there.

Are you sure about this? Maybe they had a second print that contained the update?

Kikorin

Rest of the game is shit anyway, I don't even know why I've wasted so much time in it. I just wanted to see all the stages, butbwas all ugly.

The game shipped with only the tutorial on the disc. The rest of the game has to be downloaded in a nearly 8 gig "update". Otherwise, you've just got a demo disc.
I thought this was a joke.
NMo64HE.jpg

As others said, the rest of the game is not on the disc. It actually had a 7+ GB day-one patch containing the (still very buggy) rest of the game. The reason was, that Activision had extended the license for 15 years after the success of the first game. THPS5 came out on from what I heard was literally the last day before the license for new releases expired, so it had to be rushed out and the game was not ready for manufacturing at the deadline.

Well now I don't know who to believe...

Because if this is true and someone without internet connection buys a copy of the game then they cannot play what they paid for. This should not be allowed.

Are you sure about this? Maybe they had a second print that contained the update?

100% sure. Played it day 1, without the patch on PS4, offline. I remember it being misleading at first, but just go back into the game.

You can continue without it. I recall being baffled at people saying you couldn't.

Bedlam

Because consumer protection.

Sure, they may have a disclaimer on the box saying that an internet connection is a prerequiste for the product. That doesn't mean that this practice should be allowed.

I had the same thoughts when the "MGSV Steam installer on disc" thing happened.

If I remember right the game boots you to the main menu after the tutorial, and if you go back into play (and the disc is fully installed) the first real level is unlocked.

I thought the only the tutorial is on the disc was a myth dismissed at launch. Anyway you want to patch it ASAP in any event to fix a ton of shit.

I thought the only the tutorial is on the disc was a myth dismissed at launch. Anyway you want to patch it ASAP in any event to fix a ton of shit.

It was, but alas the misinformation lives on. I think you literally just select play again after being booted from the tutorial now that I think about it.

Did you even try that OP?

entremet

You pay $60 for a disc the game should be on the disc in a playable form. I don't care what year it is, "everyone should have access to the Internet" is not an excuse. This is criminal if true.
This isn't last generation anymore.

Look at games like Halo 5 and Driveclub.

I do think there should be a warning. Even BR is getting too small for games.

Bedlam

This isn't last generation anymore.

Look at games like Halo 5 and Driveclub.

I do think there should be a warning. Even BR is getting too small for games.
I don't know about Halo but as far as I recall Driveclub had a completely playable game on the disc (minus online, patches and the arguably great DLC).

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't know about Halo but as far as I recall Driveclub had a completely playable game on the disc (minus online, patches and the arguably great DLC).

It had. And only the multiplayer is missing from Halo 5. If you don`t want to play Halo 5 online, you don`t need to connect anyway.

Top Bottom