• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I just finished The Sopranos for the first time...

TTOOLL

Btw, I found out Gandolfini had died during my watch, around season 4. It wrecked me, especially they way it happened. Every time I saw Tony boozing or eating like crazy I would think about his death.

Roufianos

Carmela's parents don't "look italian" neither.

The point is that italians, like everybody else, have different looks and different types of DNA's in their blood.

Yea, I'm not complaining that he's not as dark as Sil. He just doesn't even look remotely Italian, not even like a fair skinned one.

True about Carm's parents but they're peripheral characters so it's no way near as important.

eot

Banned
Tony is a very good one, but he's too all over the place imo. Of course you have that love/hate relationship with him, it was meant to be that way.
Tbh I only had a hate relationship with him, didn’t find anything redeemable or likeable about him. That’s probably why I didn’t enjoy the show. He goes off on people, cheats, whines to his therapist and never really changes as a character that much in my opinion.

Meadow was the best part of the show.

Erdrick

I finally broke down and bought the Blu Ray set in February 2018. And from then until June, I was hooked. I had obviously heard of the show but it was just so well done, and it had something for everyone. It's one of my all-time favourites now.

There is a line when Ralph is showing up to meet with Tony, Silvio and Paulie for a sit down and it always make me laugh.

"You're late."
"Well, tomorrow I can be on time. You'll be stupid forever."

:messenger_beaming:

Jon Neu

Banned
Meadow was the best part of the show.

Imagen1.gif

Btw, I found out Gandolfini had died during my watch, around season 4. It wrecked me, especially they way it happened. Every time I saw Tony boozing or eating like crazy I would think about his death.

I'm rewatching the show right now and it's kind of creepy how the characters talk about how Tony it's going to die by a heart attack at the rate he is eating.

Super Mario

Banned
Great show. Since it gets compared to the Wire so much, I give Sopranos the edge. A lot more memorable characters, and moments. That's what it is all about.

My biggest gripe was with how soon they killed Big Pussy. He was a great character that had so much more potential. It would have been an even better build-up for us to see more of their friendship, only to have the same ending. Paulie also started off hilarious, and became an annoyance later.

Jon Neu

Banned
My biggest gripe was with how soon they killed Big Pussy. He was a great character that had so much more potential. It would have been an even better build-up for us to see more of their friendship, only to have the same ending. Paulie also started off hilarious, and became an annoyance later.

tenor.gif

Pussy was a great character.

This scene alone sells pretty well the love Tony had for him.

Electret

Still my all time favorite series with The Wire a close second. My Italian background might have something to do with that. Pine Barrens is burned into memory and often one of the first things that pops into mind when the show comes up.

Sopranos_ep311.jpg

I rewatched the series a couple of years ago and it's just as great now as it was when it first aired, superb character development from start to finish. The secondary and tertiary characters in Sopranos had more depth to them than the main characters in many of today's shows.
"Mix it with the relish!"
A) She was a hewa

B) SHE HIT ME!
"I was doin' a lotta coke, you know that!"

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Edie Falco though was awesome in the show and matched James scene by scene. Ya her whole divorce storyline was a bit boring if you were into the mob stuff but the show was more about his family life and not all the mob things. As far as her and the teacher, was a logical conclusion since the entire series was about her trying to have various affairs either with the priest, the handyman, or Furio.

But you can't deny that Edie's acting was amazing and the fights between her and Tony were some of the most powerful scenes.

Erdrick

When Janice goes on about how soft Carmella and Tony are going on Meadow in season 2 after the huge party in her grandmother's house?

Tony eating cereal and then all of a sudden just EXPLODES. "FUCK THIS!!!" *Smashes cereal bowl across the room*

Always remember that scene. You could feel the anger through your screen.

EDIT: As soon as Furio went in with a bat to the massage parlour to collect, and Tony sits outside smoking a cigar just grinning, I knew Furio would be another favourite of mine. It's hilarious if you've ever heard him speak outside of the show. No accent, whatsoever.

So fucking good.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
When Janice goes on about how soft Carmella and Tony are going on Meadow in season 2 after the huge party in her grandmother's house?

Tony eating cereal and then all of a sudden just EXPLODES. "FUCK THIS!!!" *Smashes cereal bowl across the room*

Always remember that scene. You could feel the anger through your screen.

EDIT: As soon as Furio went in with a bat to the massage parlour to collect, and Tony sits outside smoking a cigar just grinning, I knew Furio would be another favourite of mine. It's hilarious if you've ever heard him speak outside of the show. No accent, whatsoever.

So fucking good.

Just watched that scene, its great. Janice was also great on the show.

notseqi

Still my all time favorite series with The Wire a close second. My Italian background might have something to do with that. Pine Barrens is burned into memory and often one of the first things that pops into mind when the show comes up.

Sopranos_ep311.jpg

I rewatched the series a couple of years ago and it's just as great now as it was when it first aired, superb character development from start to finish. The secondary and tertiary characters in Sopranos had more depth to them than the main characters in many of today's shows.
'He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator.'
'His house looked like shit.'

eot

Banned

I don't deny that it's well acted and well written, but I never enjoyed this kinda stuff. Janice is a fucking horrible person, and even though Tony is in the right here I never felt he had any moral high ground to stand on. There are so many awful, miserable people in the show, Tony's mom is even worse, and Junior is a prick too. I think the writers want you to root for Tony but I was never able to. I'm curious what made you guys like him, or why he's relatable.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

I don't deny that it's well acted and well written, but I never enjoyed this kinda stuff. Janice is a fucking horrible person, and even though Tony is in the right here I never felt he had any moral high ground to stand on. There are so many awful, miserable people in the show, Tony's mom is even worse, and Junior is a prick too. I think the writers want you to root for Tony but I was never able to. I'm curious what made you guys like him, or why he's relatable.

I personally didn’t actually like him, but rooted for him. I wanted him to be a better person and I think he was for a while. He had his moments. But yeah, overall he was a trash human being.

cryptoadam

Banned
Man just watching an episode after Olivia died. Its so bad. Her hair isnt even the same in some shots.

I know Chase got screwed but he should have killed her off screen. Its just embarrassing.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Great great show! Of course much has already been said about it and I'll not keep repeating things. I would just like to say a couple of things about some of the characters.

Tony is a very good one, but he's too all over the place imo. Of course you have that love/hate relationship with him, it was meant to be that way.

This is the one I loved the most. His arc is amazing and enjoyed every single second he was on.
Corrado Soprano:
cq5dam.web.768.432.jpeg

Another great arc and the only family man there was, my man Johnny Sack. I teared up when he passed.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sil: ok guy, 100% trustworthy.
Paulie: started ok, became an annoying prick throughout the show.
Chris: trash, trash, trash. Should've died much sooner.
Bob: I liked him better when he was just Junior's driver.
Carmela: gimme that money
Meadow: who cares
Adriana: poor girl, suffered a lot and her end was sad

Fucking A. J. Soprano, ladies and gentleman. This is the worst character I've ever seen in any show. The writers must have really hated his guts. He has zero redeeming qualities. A whiny little bitch 90% of the time, the other 10% was him watching TV. Tony should have hit him a few times at least.
aj-soprano-picture.jpg

Concerning the ending: lazy, I hate when they do it. "Oh, just imagine what happened". Fuck off, I'm not the showrunner.

Concerning the comparisons with The Wire as the best TV show ever: unfair, The Wire is a much better show, there's no comparison.
The ending isnt a "imagine what happened"
The last two seasons lay it on thick as to what actually happened to Tony, dude got whacked which is why the screen went black. The show was about Tony and through his eyes, reason why it went black is because the second he looked up at the ding of the bell he got shot in the back of the head.

xrnzaaas

Just finished the show today for the first time (I've seen the first 3-4 seasons several times, but never the whole thing) and all I have to say is...

OH SHIT! *penguin walk*

The final season had some unnecessary fillers (like the whole Vito arc which should've been covered in a single episode max, or the stuff with AJ was more annoying that in past seasons), but the last two episodes were awesome and I loved how the last scene ended.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
The prequel movie The Many Saints of Newark was supposed to be released in September but it was rescheduled to March. But for some reason there's no trailer or teaser for it. :pie_thinking:

MrMephistoX

Just wanted to hop in and say I’ve started rewatching this for the first time since it came out on DVD. Man does this show hold up it looks really good on HBO Max too. Also holy shit Janice and Richie...back on s2 Ep 12.

Rien

Jelly Belly

Whoa... is that Pharoah Sanders- The Creator has a Master Plan that Janice is playing in the beginning? That song is sick! It definitely fits Janice in that era of Sopranos.

MrMephistoX

Man just finished the episode where Mama Soprano died it’s probably the best death in the family tv episode ever. I like the fact that it’s just sudden almost exactly like what happened to my grandmother massive brain hemorrhage out of the blue disrupting life and all other plans. In this case the plot of the season was probably Olivia testifying against her own son and even the Feds had to deal with that unraveling.

Last edited:

dyergram

Having re watched this recently along with the wire I agree with you that the wire is better, however sopranos is a lot more fun imo. Probably my second favourite tv show ever after the second watch here’s a great interview with the AJ actor with the great Joey Diaz who stars in the prequel that comes out this year:

Top Bottom