• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

So...I just got suspended by Twitter

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
I barely even use Twitter, I only use it to retweet Trump tweets or some other funny tweets made by Trump supporters. I barely ever make my own tweets.

But just today I did a rare thing of making the following few replies to the New Yorker article about the Trump/Guatemala news:

"Because we cannot take in all of the 3rd country population of the world."

"There are billions living in dangerous crime filled cities all over the world. Do all of them have a right to asylum to the US?"

"How many do we let in? All of Central America?"

And a few hours later. BAM. Account suspended. Just for 3 tweet replies,
So what exactly did I say that made Twitter think that I was a white Nazi supremacist?

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
I barely even use Twitter, I only use it to retweet Trump tweets or some other funny tweets made by Trump supporters. I barely ever make my own tweets.

But just today I did a rare thing of making the following few replies to the New Yorker article about the Trump/Guatemala news:

"There are billions living in dangerous crime filled cities all over the world. Do all of them have a right to asylum to the US?"

So what exactly did I say that made Twitter that I was a white Nazi supremacist?
This is why these media platforms need reigning in.

Platform, or publisher.

Laws and rules are going to make the difference here.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
This is why these media platforms need reigning in.

Platform, or publisher.

Laws and rules are going to make the difference here.
Yeah it's insane. 3 tweets and suddenly I'm Alex Jones.
I think Trump has a good point here when he is talking about free speech being censored. I never believed it how bad it was until it happened to me.

kegkilla

Banned
Aug 1, 2007

So what exactly did I say that made Twitter think that I was a white Nazi supremacist?
Is that verbatim what you said?

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Is that verbatim what you said?
Yup. I just copied and pasted my exact tweets. They have must have some real funky AI going on there that interprets anything anti-immigration as hate speech, I guess?

Anyway, gonna email Twitter and see what explanation they give. This should be interesting.

Last edited:

MrTickles

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
I was shadow banned years ago. Even from YouTube comments too. I don't bother with these bought and paid for shill platforms.

Reactions: pramod

crowbrow

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2019
I think sometimes Twitter just bans out of mass reports... It doesn't even check the comments, they just ban them if they get reported a lot and then correct the mistakes. It's probably a rule of thumb that gets it right more often than not. You probably could complain because I don't think those tweets merit a ban. I've seen people complain and get their account reinstated.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018

They probably got you for "harassment".

• Triggered
Reactions: Kamina and pramod

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Doesn't surprise me at all. I never post on Twitter and don't follow all that many accounts, but I've seen a lot of suspensions for benign posts, most of which get overturned, and it's always from the conservative side. One of these days I'll probably get suspended simply for hitting the Like button on a message the language police finds mildly offensive.

I try to keep my feed balanced, so I've followed a crazy liberal for every pro-Trump account on my list. Digital whiplash at its finest.

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
The following are likely candidates, I would guess:

Your postings are blowing dimensions of immigration completely out of porportions and your postings appear more like far right fear mongering than proper discourse. That is assuming you similarly misrepresented the suspension reason by over exaggerating simething to the effect of "xenophobic polemic" to "white nazi supremacist". If the actual suspension message was "you are a white nazi supremacist", verbatim, then yes, the ban reason is exaggerated.

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
and your postings appear more like far right fear mongering than proper discourse.
Yoshi, or everything I don't like is far right.

And of course, you can't be against massive inmigration, that is not proper discourse. You can be (and should be) in favour of it, and that is normal, that is substantial discourse that has nothing to do with anything on the far spectrum, because we don't want to demonize that discourse.

Reactions: RSB and Bolivar687

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018

Your postings are blowing dimensions of immigration completely out of porportions and your postings appear more like far right fear mongering than proper discourse. That is assuming you similarly misrepresented the suspension reason by over exaggerating simething to the effect of "xenophobic polemic" to "white nazi supremacist". If the actual suspension message was "you are a white nazi supremacist", verbatim, then yes, the ban reason is exaggerated.
This.

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Yoshi, or everything I don't like is far right.

And of course, you can't be against massive inmigration, that is not proper discourse. You can be (and should be) in favour of it, and that is normal, that is substantial discourse that has nothing to do with anything on the far spectrum, because we don't want to demonize that discourse.
If you are against current immigration laws, you can express that without blowing it completely out of proportions and fear mongering the whole third world is trying to migrate "here". What kind of basis for discussion is that? It is stupid. It is the same argument right extremists use against sea rescue in the EU. Because "let those fuckers drown" - though it is what is meant in effect - would make you sound a bit bad.

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
If you are against current immigration laws
Nothing he said talked about being against current immigration laws.

Not that being against them would make you far right.

you can express that without blowing it completely out of proportions and fear mongering the whole third world is trying to migrate "here".
You are capable of undestand he is not being literal, right? He doesn't expect the entire third world to immigrate to the USA, he is just asking questions so someone who is in favour of mass immigration, can actually say if the USA should have a limit for hosting immigrants or if it's just "everybody who wants to be in the USA, should be free to come".

And by the way, blowing things out of proportions and indulging in fear mongering doesn't make you far right neither, otherwise you would be one.

It is the same argument right extremists use against sea rescue in the EU. Because "let those fuckers drown" - though it is what is meant in effect - would make you sound a bit bad.
Oh, another good ol' Yoshi fallacy.

If you are against massive immigration, you are basically a right extremist* that wants to "let those fuckers drown".

Right extremists, which is basically code for far right, which at the same time is code for nazis. And he dares to talk about blowing things out of proportion and indulging in fear mongering.

Do you even have a shred of self-awareness?

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
If you are against current immigration laws, you can express that without blowing it completely out of proportions and fear mongering the whole third world is trying to migrate "here". What kind of basis for discussion is that? It is stupid. It is the same argument right extremists use against sea rescue in the EU. Because "let those fuckers drown" - though it is what is meant in effect - would make you sound a bit bad.
I disagree with your views.

As a liberal.

I will now label you as a nazi and racist yoshi.

Please ban yosh

That logic is what you champion for.

This is what he said:

1) "Because we cannot take in all of the 3rd country population of the world."

Fact, anything with a functioning brain realizes this.

2) "There are billions living in dangerous crime filled cities all over the world. Do all of them have a right to asylum to the US?"

Fact, nothing offensive about it even remotely or racist or extreme right.

3) "How many do we let in? All of Central America?"

Valid question? how much is to much?

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018

Woops he used free speech instead of fair speech

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
You are capable of undestand he is not being literal, right? He doesn't expect the entire third world to immigrate to the USA, he is just asking questions so someone who is in favour of mass immigration, can actually say if the USA should have a limit for hosting immigrants or if it's just "everybody who wants to be in the USA, should be free to come".
He is not being literal, but is blowing the actual situation deliberately out of proportion to indicate a situation that could not be managed in any way (in all manners of resources: Time, people, money, space) and is absolutely unrealistic as means to alarm of a impending collapse that is not going to happen. And again yo are doing the same (to a lesser degree), by claiming "everybody who wants to be in the USA, should be free to come" is a common position among lefties. Which it is not. Not having a hard limit on numbers of people able to immigrate does not mean that immigration should be unrestricted. Being in favour of unrestricted immigration is a completely fringe position.

And by the way, blowing things out of proportions and indulging in fear mongering doesn't make you far right neither, otherwise you would be one.
Right, you can exaggerate without being far right. It always depends on the issue and direction.
Oh, another good ol' Yoshi fallacy.

If you are against massive immigration, you are basically a right extremist* that wants to "let those fuckers drown".
I was talking - in that sentence - about a very specific situation, where right extremists want to prevent sea rescue because "we cannot take in all of Africa". What is the consequence of banning sea rescue? People will drown.

I disagree with your views.

As a liberal.

I will now label you as a nazi and racist yoshi.

Please ban yosh

That logic is what you champion for.

This is what he said:

1) "Because we cannot take in all of the 3rd country population of the world."

Fact, anything with a functioning brain realizes this.

2) "There are billions living in dangerous crime filled cities all over the world. Do all of them have a right to asylum to the US?"

Fact, nothing offensive about it even remotely or racist or extreme right.

3) "How many do we let in? All of Central America?"

Valid question? how much is to much?
I did not advocate for or against banning rules, I just said that he was posting far right fear platitudes, so if the ban reason was far right fear mongering (which I can only assume considering his hyperbolic Nazi claim), then the reason in itself is consistent with what he posted.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Overall I find the moderation on Twitter to be acceptable. It fails in many areas, but succeeds in others.

For example I reported 5 or 6 accounts the other day when they were making sexist jokes at the expense of the women's world cup team and I got the usual messages thanking me for my reports, but when I looked at the accounts out of curiosity 4 of them were suspended. So not 100% accurate, but rather close.

Hudo

Jul 26, 2018
Rejoice! For fate has granted you freedom from the tyranny that is Twitter.

But yeah, on a more serious note:
Twitter might not be the most suitable platform if you really want to have free discussions about stuff, especially if politics are included...
It seems that every opinion gets either "moderated" by Twitter themselves or by one of the many vocal minority groups on Twitter (like SJWs) that have developed a black and white world view.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Overall I find the moderation on Twitter to be acceptable. It fails in many areas, but succeeds in others.

For example I reported 5 or 6 accounts the other day when they were making sexist jokes at the expense of the women's world cup team and I got the usual messages thanking me for my reports, but when I looked at the accounts out of curiosity 4 of them were suspended. So not 100% accurate, but rather close.
10/10, would laugh again.

I hope you spent more time conversing with those 5 or 6 people than you did reporting them.

• LOL
Reactions: matt404au

spandexmonkey

Dec 17, 2009
Memphis, TN
Even the liberals on Gaf can't hide the fact they're eager to police your thoughts. Your statements are civil and mainstream, but the moment you disagree with the left's narrative you're an extremist. Every thread that involves imposing left wing views on people with authority, you can hear the usual suspects rushing to defend it. Now that Gaf is "far right" in their eyes, notice they can post constantly and trade barbs with people. If they ran gaf, they'd ban the lot of us in a heart beat.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Not the usual social media stuff. I'm talking actual sexist garbage. "Get back in the kitchen" kind of bullshit. The rest I usually just ignore.
Says the guy who did mods halp for dislexic gingers. Accused the poster of using the N word rather than just a tasteless joke.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
So.. the usual social media stuff.

I guess if "running to the teacher" to tattle instead of moving on makes you feel like the head hall monitor, you go girl
The report button is there for a reason. It takes literally seconds to use and can help remove toxic people from Twitter. I don't see why I wouldn't report them when they were being so blatant.
10/10, would laugh again.

I hope you spent more time conversing with those 5 or 6 people than you did reporting them.
Why would I want converse with people like that?

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

You can’t be a real person 😂

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
The report button is there for a reason. It takes literally seconds to use and can help remove toxic people from Twitter. I don't see why I wouldn't report them when they were being so blatant.

Gotta get your reports in on twitter because they removed your report button on GAF 😂

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
It is still an opinion and one I kind of agree with. Also the problem with sea rescueis that these people speculate on it already. If you do it all the time why would it ever stop? What at least need to be done is bringing them back to Libya and not Spain or Italy. If you bring them where they want to go it will never stop. And we are already FULL. Camps in Greece, Spain and Italy are at their limits. And I agree with Salvani in this regard too. You will never solve the problem if you keep encouraging it. You need it to make it as unwelcome as possible with NO chance of getting Asylum like that. You need to force them to use legal ways.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

You have got to be kidding, right?

Besides your absurd observations, twitter is going to have to make a decision on whether or not they want to be a platform, or a publisher and the ramifications that entails.

They absolutely cannot enjoy their current legal protections while taking their current actions, and this is not debatable.

Another thing to remember is that this is not a new issue as people have been complaining about this for quite some time now via 2012;

Facebook, twitter, and the rest if these "platforms" are going to have to make a real decision soon becuase our current political climate is not going to let this go and with the president of the United States being so involved, you better believe there is going to start being a litany of lawsuits popping up declaring these companies as publishers and Twitter is going to have to try and defend itself Against a growing amount of evidence that they are indeed publishers.

If everything is on the level with the OP(apologies if this sounds like I dont trust the OP just covering bases here)Him getting banned for these comments is absolutely the work of a publisher not a platform.

Lawsuits, they are a comin'

Last edited:

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017

You are a "true" hero. Here is the deal if you can make jokes like that about men. That they should not whine so much and grow up etc. Then why should you not be able to do that with FAMOUS Soccer players. Are they so oppressed that you need to defend them? You are making them into victims because of stupid jokes. Congratulations you just have degraded the World Cup winners to oppressed victims.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
That's the more appropriate question. Imagine your first interaction with your current friends was online, watching them make a stupid/insensitive remark. Would you have reported them, too? I can't imagine you'd be open to meeting "people like that" in person if you couldn't be bothered to spend a second talking to them online.

Barnabot

Oct 16, 2018

I don't think you guys are right on this one

Those quotes alone:

are just nothingburger. This is a fact that a country, no matter how much prosperous it is, will not be able to take every other country in even they are in need for help. U.S.A. can take in migrants as much as they can. Not all. The punchline is I don't live in a first world country but even I know the side effects of mass immigration when they are not dealt with moderation even if the country where I live has a way lesser immigration rate than U.S. but it still can't handle that as the side effects are unemployment and underemployment align to several other problems my Country has which will tank economy even more.

No matter how prosperous USA is resources are not unlimited. It still has its limits and the economy (among other factors) will be graduatelly tanked if they can't handle large mass of people migrating to there. It's good to show goodwill but everything which depends on resources must have limits. U.S. has a compromise with its own citizens first. The same should be applied to my country aswell.

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012

You’re such a white knight. I bet Megan Rapinoe might have sex with you for defending her honor like that (If you’re into chicks that look like dudes that is.)
You are a hero!

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Mar 22, 2012
That's censorship and that's is to be expected from Big Tech. Unfortunately.

I can't wait to see their empire going to pieces. The internet needs to be decentralized again.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
If these tweets are the ones that got you suspended, I'm scratching my head a bit. I mean, they're overly simplistic straw man arguments, but individually I don't think they're red flags.

My theory is that it's because you replied three times, presumably to one account; that might have been interpreted as harassment. As a general rule you don't accomplish much by sending multiple replies to one tweet, especially if it's a person or company that was already on the lookout for harassers.

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Not the usual social media stuff. I'm talking actual sexist garbage. "Get back in the kitchen" kind of bullshit. The rest I usually just ignore.
Oh no! Not the back in kitchen joke! Anything but that!

You’re such a white knight. I bet Megan Rapinoe might have sex with you for defending her honor like that (If you’re into chicks that look like dudes that is.)
You are a hero!
To be fair, it's not his fault. It's the platform that enables him to do this because they cater to babies and soccer moms.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

There have been rumors for awhile that immigration status is a protected class. It's not clear in the hate policy [just read it] tho perhaps i was looking at an old one, I've never had a twitter account myself.

The fact that several anti-speech advocates are already coming to twitter's defense and calling your views extremist tells you everything you need to know, because this is the state of discourse today.

Get back to the kitchen, pramod. No twitter for you. You've got nothing of value to say.

• Triggered

PKM

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2017
If your posting on a leftist twitter feed expect the primary people following that page to also be leftist.

So, more then likely your tweet was brigaded by tons of leftist reporting it.

• Triggered

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Best thing to do is stop using twitter. Let just the leftists alone with it so it can slowly die.
The hilarious thing is that you think that there's some massive wave of hardcore conservatives that can kill Twitter if they'd just leave the platform.

You know what happens on the "other side?" They breathe a sigh of relief when you declare that you're leaving, since they know you're just sinking into permanent irrelevance.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
The hilarious thing is that you think that there's some massive wave of hardcore conservatives that can kill Twitter if they'd just leave the platform.
The platform itself caters to a specific group and bans everyone else. There's no reason for everyone else to use it then.

And i'm referring to anyone who isn't a crazy liberal leftist. Not just "hardcore conservatives".

And who cares about what the other side thinks.