• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just remote played into some random person's PS4 using my PSN account.

UPDATE 4: Sony said they wouldn't get back to me until Monday but I just received a message that they deactivated ALL CONSOLES. I have reactivated my console under my PSN ID.

Update 3: Discovered my email and password were compromised in an Adobe.com breach. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Update 2: Sony is being useless, as expected. I cannot use the SEN account site to deactivate the console remotely despite the fact that whoever did this to me did just that. Apparently, you are locked out of doing another deactivation for six months. After contacting Sony both by online chat and by phone they claim to have escalated the issue and have had me fill out a form. They say they can't simply deactivate the console of the person who used my PSN ID. Again, this criminal scum was somehow able to deactivate my console and activate theirs but for some dumb as fuck reason I am not allowed to deactivate their console and reactivate mine despite being the rightful owner of the PSN ID they used.

Update 1: So it seems that Remote Play actually allowed me to discover that my PSN ID had been compromised and that a third party living in Russia, I presume, has set their PS4 as the primary console under my PSN account.

So.....

I just remote played into someone else's PS4 using my account.

This is not a drill. Went to use remote play on my PC to connect to my PS4 in the living room and it connected to a PS4 in Russian. My account, but their PS4. My PS4 still has the orange standby bar on.

Yeah, I'm freaked the fuck out.

The time on the PS4 was just past midnight. I am in NA East.

It eventually disconnected. Maybe someone saw what was going on. I was about to grab screencaps too.

It's really freaked me out that my account is now live and active on their PS4.

SZips

So the obvious question is: Did you change your password on your account yet?

EDIT: Answered above already.

That's really fucking weird. Can you imagine how freaked out the person in Russia was? They probably thought their PS4 was possessed. Did you have access to anything regarding their account/card info/address? Because I'm concerned for my own safety now.

Change password.

How is that possible? I had to get a code from my PS4 to setup on my PC. Well, that was the manual process.

Did you set yours up by scanning the network?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This doesn't sound good, especially if they pick up where you left off. yikes

Could be a huge deal :/

That's really fucking weird. Can you imagine how freaked out the person in Russia was? They probably thought their PS4 was possessed. Did you have access to anything regarding their account/card info/address? Because I'm concerned for my own safety now.

I didn't see anything of their account. I was logged into my PSN on their PS4. It was all my information. My games. Most of the games were not installed except for the games they would also have installed on their PS4.

5taquitos

I would be willing to bet the Russian knew exactly what was happening.

PLOT TWIST:
OP actually lives in Russia and hasn't realized it yet. It's part of a game show to see if they noticed it yet.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Did once already. Going to disconnect my payment option right now.

Edit: Anything else I should do.

This seems like a huge security issue.

Umm...this doesn't sound like it was because of Remote Play, it sounds like the Russian guy got your account credentials.

MUnited83

For you.
Its the other way around. Someone stole OP's account and had it on their PS4. OP remote played and seen his own account on their PS4.

Did once already. Going to disconnect my payment option right now.

Edit: Anything else I should do.

This seems like a huge security issue.
Its not. Remote play had nothing to do with it (apart from letting you discovered it). Someone stole your account with other methods entirely.

Change password.

How is that possible? I had to get a code from my PS4 to setup on my PC. Well, that was the manual process.

Did you set yours up by scanning the network?

I set it up on Wednesday using a code created directly from my PS4. Manually registered it on the PC app. Worked like a charm then.

Today, it was taking a long time to connect. Then suddenly, I was I was on someone else's PS4.

Blanquito

Yeah, maybe a potential hack of your account?

I'm curious if your PS4 at home is set as your primary PS4? What the person could have potentially done is:

1) hack your account
2) set his/her ps4 as your account's primary ps4
3) get to play all your games for free, and as long as s/he doesn't do anything to arouse your suspicion, they get to stay on the gravy train and keep playing your games with you noticing.

Also, re: password. Don't be silly and make it something complex like random numbers/characters. Just make it long, it's much better and easier to remember.

Afrikan

Maybe the guy in Russia already had access to your account for a while. and you are just finding out right now.

Was probebly playing your games as a sub account this whole time.

Do you have your account registered in another PS4? if not, then that might be the case.

I'm still getting identity theft protection from Sony thanks to the hacks back in 2010(?). I wonder what this will cost them. Hopefully it's not a widespread issue.

Umm...this doesn't sound like it was because of Remote Play, it sounds like the Russian guy got your account credentials.

If so, they never changed my password and they never charged anything. Also, even if they had my credentials, my PC remote play app should be connected only to the PS4 I registered. Seems like a remote play issue to me.

PS4 I have is the only PS4 I have ever had.

Yeah...

Its the other way around. Someone stole OP's account and had it on their PS4. OP remote played and seen his own account on their PS4.

OH YEAH!

I set it up on Wednesday using a code created directly from my PS4. Manually registered it on the PC app. Worked like a charm then.

Today, it was taking a long time to connect. Then suddenly, I was I was on someone else's PS4.

I think your account info got hacked bro.

If so, they never changed my password and they never charged anything. Also, even if they had my credentials, my PC remote play app should be connected only to the PS4 I registered. Seems like a remote play issue to me.

Well, they don't have to change anything if they don't want to right?

OHH

Now I get it. The reason you were even able to remote play the Russian's PS4 in the first place was because they somehow had your account info. I was thinking it was some random tech glitch or something on Sony's end. I'm dumb.

MUnited83

For you.

He registered his PS4 using your account . The remote play code is not to bind remote play with your console. It's to bind remote paly with your PSN account.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Why change/charge anything if all they want is the games you have? Remote Play is connected to your account, not to your PS4. Seems like a compromised account issue to me.

Afrikan

I wonder how many more people will find out that others have been free loading off their accounts for a while. And just finding out now thankx to Remote Play on PC.

this might actually be a blessing in disguise for these folks.

Why change/charge anything if all they want is the games you have? Remote Play is connected to your account, not to your PS4. Seems like a compromised account issue to me.

Makes perfect sense. I would change everything and delete your wallet info just in case.

Demoskinos

There is no security risk with remote play. Not anymore than what already existed. If someone gets a hold of your shit then yes that is a problem but that has nothing to do with the remote play itself.

I would also *highly* suggest to go the the playstation account management on a web browser where you can remotely deactivate any playstation hardware attached to your account credentials.

Geneijin

Sounds like your account was already compromised. Is your PS4 activated as your primary before you remote played?

Yeah, maybe a potential hack of your account?

I'm curious if your PS4 at home is set as your primary PS4? What the person could have potentially done is:

1) hack your account
2) set his/her ps4 as your account's primary ps4
3) get to play all your games for free, and as long as s/he doesn't do anything to arouse your suspicion, they get to stay on the gravy train and keep playing your games with you noticing.

Also, re: password. Don't be silly and make it something complex like random numbers/characters. Just make it long, it's much better and easier to remember.

This actually happened to me just a couple of weeks ago. I got a notification that someone had logged into my PSN account. Immediately checked online and they'd deactivated my deices and set theirs as the primary PS4 on my account. A call to Sony sorted it all out but that was a scary few hours.

Yup. Just went to check my PS4 and it is telling me another PS4 has been activated as primary.

Fuck. Can someone give me quick information on deactivating the other PS4?

You can't do it yourself, because the online tool can only be used once every six months, but Sony's support can deactivate it for you. I didn't have any issues asking them to do it but I've heard from others that they can be reluctant, just be persistent.

So. Someone deactivated all my PS4/PSP/Vita units and just activated their PS4. The only way I can deactivate their PS4 is from the PS4 itself.

Probably going to have to contact Sony about this if I can't get back on their unit.

jayu26

Yup. Just went to check my PS4 and it is telling me another PS4 has been activated as primary.

Fuck. Can someone give me quick information on deactivating the other PS4?

Damn! Try to de-activate it from PC and change the password as quick as possible.

Do you have any idea this person could have gotten your login information? I'm guessing it's a FIFA thing.

Not sure how this fits but here goes.

When I went on a few months vacation, I didn't want my brother using my PS4 because reasons.

I decided to remote play and saw him playing on my console, so I did what every sane man would do: I changed my password and deactivated my console on PSN's once every 6 months deactivation.

A few weeks later, I decided to check again. Lo and behold, he is still playing. How is this possible? Maybe because my account is primary on that console? That still shouldn't happen if I deactivated it and change passwords. It seriously cheesed me that this happened.

Kyne

fb0.jpg

Top Bottom