So I just signed up with a VPN service

嫩翼

so it's not nice
Apr 2, 2013
臺北市, 臺灣
...and I think it is one of the better things I spend (have spent) my money on.

It's uncanny how much less targeted advertising I receive. It's like it's 2007 on the internet again. I dunno if many share my views, but I am pretty particular about privacy on the internet, and every initiative by data-mining companies and websites to collect more cookies and other pertinent data is just too invasive for my tastes. NordVPN is now my provider, and I am quite satisfied with my experience.

Anyone else feel the same way? How many of us privately browse?

Feb 11, 2019
Limerick, Ireland
...and I think it is one of the better things I spend (have spent) my money on.

It's uncanny how much less targeted advertising I receive. It's like it's 2007 on the internet again. I dunno if many share my views, but I am pretty particular about privacy on the internet, and every initiative by data-mining companies and websites to collect more cookies and other pertinent data is just too invasive for my tastes. NordVPN is now my provider, and I am quite satisfied with my experience.

Anyone else feel the same way? How many of us privately browse?
Aren't you based in China though? I think I remember from another thread.

It's a must have over there. You'll actually find the internet even faster with a lot of apps.
I remember when I lived over there Skype was actually quicker with the VPN.

嫩翼

so it's not nice
Apr 2, 2013
臺北市, 臺灣
Aren't you based in China though? I think I remember from another thread.

It's a must have over there. You'll actually find the internet even faster with a lot of apps.
I remember when I lived over there Skype was actually quicker with the VPN.
Taiwan... not as useful.

As I am currently watching Taiwan News ( 台灣民視新聞 ) it might be necessary because issues like "fake news" and Chinese influence on media is a huge talking point right now.

Mar 5, 2007
Since the internet is becoming quite dystopian you really need these services imo and not just for the targeted advertising. You definitely don't want large shady organizations knowing all your secrets and preferences, you really can't predict how it'll be used against you in the future, the Chinese are already learning how it can.

NordVPN is value for money if you buy the 3 year plan, if you have more to spare I also suggest ExpressVPN which is pretty much the perfect VPN service but it's almost double the money.

Sep 12, 2017
I was pretty happy with PIA until I realized that using a VPN jacked up my eBay account (it's apparently against their terms of service). Not sure how to get around that.

Mar 14, 2019
Sometimes setting up a VPN on a virtual server on the proper service (DigitalOcean and the likes) is better than places like Nord if you have the proper Linux knowledge.

I use ProtonVPN though. It's owned by the ProtonMail guys, based outside of the Fourteen Eyes in Switzerland, and takes Bitcoin. Pretty good so far.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2013
Here is a detailed vpn comparison. Not all are equal in terms of retention of log data and juristictional requirements

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

If you would like to know more about if you are truly protected by a vpn please reference this reddit summary.

Youll likely find many concerning things you may not know about. This is why the comparison site is useful.

Last edited: