• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I keep being on the fence with Xbox Gamepass...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I go back and forth on it, its great if you play lots of stuff but with my new job and no need to play everything I think id rather just buy the few games a year that I really want and maybe some so so ones during a steam like sale.

Sinfulgore

This is example how subscriptions are designed to make less mathematically educated people thinking they are cheap.

That nothing becomes 180$ per year and pretty much 1000$ per lifetime of console.

And all you get is short term rental of games which often rotate after year or two so you can't even be sure they will be still there when you actually want to play them.
But it is cheap. $180 is the cost of three games and buying a year of game pass is a better deal than buying 3 $60 Xbox exclusives.

How can game pass be "short-term rentals" yet rotate games out every year or two? Having access to games for years isn't "short-term rentals" but the value with game pass is that all first party games are released day in date on game pass and these games never leave.

There is no reason to be on the fence about game pass. Subscribing to game pass isn't some lifelong contract you need to sign. If game pass has games you want to play then subscribe to game pass and play the games you want to play. When you get through the games you want to play cancel your subscription and sign back up when there are new games you want to play on the service. It's literally that simple.

PooBone

It's not a tough decision. It's a dollar to sign up for a month and by the end of that month, you'll know if it's for you going forward or not. Personally I signed up on a hell of a deal where I got 18 months-ish for $1, and my thinking was that by then I'll be done with the games in the Game Pass library that I'm interested in and will go back to the old way of consuming games. A year later, I really don't see myself unsubscribing unless there's some negative changes coming.

Derktron

Banned
This is why people are in debt. They keep adding in "that's nothing" monthly charges for a bunch of things they don't need or really want.
And that’s there fault, if you are in financial position where you have trouble being in debt then that’s your fault. Not the companies. This sounds like an excuse.

Pantz

I think to myself, would I be buying 2-3 games at full price that are coming to Game Pass? If yes, then yeah I might as well just get Game Pass because that would cover the cost of it.
Better still if you stock up when it goes on sale for up to 3 years.
If you do the microsoft rewards and game pass quests you could have it pay for itself.

Its not rocket science .... If you sign up and don't like it you will only lose $15 dollars.

I cancelled my subscription once I beat the Medium. You don't have to commit long term to the service so I am not sure why this would be such a big decision for you OP.

Last edited:
I bought a full year which turned out to be 10 bucks a month for Gamepass Ultimate. It's incredible value and it's only getting better over time (hint: xcloud streaming).

And that’s there fault, if you are in financial position where you have trouble being in debt then that’s your fault. Not the companies. This sounds like an excuse.

I'm not saying its the companies fault, at all. The dude gave the advice, "don't think about it because $15 a month is nothing".

I agree with you. That's a consumer problem, not the company's (although the point of monthly fee programs are to make consumers feel like they are paying less than they actually are over the long term).

pasterpl

So I've been looking into subscribing to game-pass for a while, but I can't seem to commit since it feels I'm stuck in this dance position where I'm questioning its value as the time of writing this. In fact, I feel like every time I am looking into, it never seems like a good time to subscribe. I'll explain why. On one hand, being able to access a huge library of games for a reasonable monthly fee is something I'd like to get aboard. I already have a subscription to Netflix and Prime video and I believe I see the same potential in game-pass as I do with these streaming services. One the other hand, I feel like game-pass is rewarding both patience and people who doesn't currently have a great library of games for the Xbox, Playstation, PC or Switch ecosystem, or even worse, all of them together. The issue I am experiencing is that every time I am looking into game-pass and the recently added games into its collection, I either already purchased those games on Xbox One / Series X, or that I already have those games on another system.

I was looking into the last 15 games recently added to game-pass and out of those 15, about 6 of them have me interested.

• Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age
  • Dirt 5
  • Elite Dangerous
  • Wreckfest
  • Pillar of Eternity II
  • Code Vein
Out of those, only Wreckfest and Code Vein are games that I do not own right now. Still, $15 this month for both Code Vein and Wreckfest seem like it's already worth it, but then I have this tremendous backlog of mine that I struggle to get through so I'm like "it's not worth paying that money if I'm not even going to play them this month". This thought process is basically the exact same one I keep ending up with every time I'm about to pull the trigger. I feel like if there were more games being added that interested me that I didn't currently own, this would convince me much more easily into subscribing. I'm currently playing Yakuza 0 and plan to get through the entire series. It's nice that basically Yakuza 0-1-2-3-4-5 is on game-pass, but someone like me who already has all the games on PS4, there's no value for me to get hyped about it. So yeah, I can definitely see the appeal of getting subscribed to the service if you do not have a backlog / huge library of games that you already possess, but on my end, I'm always pushing my subscription away because there's not enough value in it right now for me and then the cycle continues.

The wise thing to do would probably be to stop purchasing games for a while, probably for more than a year and get though my backlog and then at that point, there would probably be less to look at on my backlog and more to look at in game-pass proposition. Thing is, I'm a bit impatient when it comes to game. More often than not, I want to enjoy games I am hyped about right now and not months later. The redeeming factor regarding game-pass for me is that all first/second party games are supposed to come out on game-pass on day 1 of their release so there's that. Maybe I will pull the trigger for the next big Xbox exclusive. Guess I'll just wait for Halo Infinite.

Anyone else stuck in limbo due to a similar situation?

if you play on Xbox and pc, gamepass cross device integration is magic, being able to move between devices seamlessly, in addition, if you have such a big backlog across devices, focus on this for couple of months and then subscribe to gamepass, will require will power not to buy new games on releases

I've had it for a while. It's only a good deal if you can't afford to actually buy the games you're really wanting to play and will settle for games that are "good enough".

I own GamePass, PS Now, Switch online, PS+ and Games with Gold. Out of those, the full current collection on PS+ games is easily the best collection of games.

Still, I buy the games I want to play. I dont feel compelled to play games I'm not very interested in just because I'm paying for them via GamePass or PS Now.

if these ps+ games are so awesome, my assumption is that almost everyone already played them, them being older games, making the ps+ less attractive to anyone who plays games (I for example own/or played all of the games on ps+ collection list) making it completely useless to me, literally zero value

if these ps+ games are so awesome, my assumption is that almost everyone already played them, them being older games, making the ps+ less attractive to anyone who plays games (I for example own/or played all of the games on ps+ collection list) making it completely useless to me, literally zero value

Most of the games on GamePass suffer from the same problem. At least until Microsoft starts creating more worthwhile first-party games. Those have been mostly absent since halfway through the 360 generation.

Jokerevo

Banned
So I've been looking into subscribing to game-pass for a while, but I can't seem to commit since it feels I'm stuck in this dance position where I'm questioning its value as the time of writing this. In fact, I feel like every time I am looking into, it never seems like a good time to subscribe. I'll explain why. On one hand, being able to access a huge library of games for a reasonable monthly fee is something I'd like to get aboard. I already have a subscription to Netflix and Prime video and I believe I see the same potential in game-pass as I do with these streaming services. One the other hand, I feel like game-pass is rewarding both patience and people who doesn't currently have a great library of games for the Xbox, Playstation, PC or Switch ecosystem, or even worse, all of them together. The issue I am experiencing is that every time I am looking into game-pass and the recently added games into its collection, I either already purchased those games on Xbox One / Series X, or that I already have those games on another system.

I was looking into the last 15 games recently added to game-pass and out of those 15, about 6 of them have me interested.

• Dirt 5
  • Elite Dangerous
  • Wreckfest
  • Pillar of Eternity II
  • Code Vein
Out of those, only Wreckfest and Code Vein are games that I do not own right now. Still, $15 this month for both Code Vein and Wreckfest seem like it's already worth it, but then I have this tremendous backlog of mine that I struggle to get through so I'm like "it's not worth paying that money if I'm not even going to play them this month". This thought process is basically the exact same one I keep ending up with every time I'm about to pull the trigger. I feel like if there were more games being added that interested me that I didn't currently own, this would convince me much more easily into subscribing. I'm currently playing Yakuza 0 and plan to get through the entire series. It's nice that basically Yakuza 0-1-2-3-4-5 is on game-pass, but someone like me who already has all the games on PS4, there's no value for me to get hyped about it. So yeah, I can definitely see the appeal of getting subscribed to the service if you do not have a backlog / huge library of games that you already possess, but on my end, I'm always pushing my subscription away because there's not enough value in it right now for me and then the cycle continues.

The wise thing to do would probably be to stop purchasing games for a while, probably for more than a year and get though my backlog and then at that point, there would probably be less to look at on my backlog and more to look at in game-pass proposition. Thing is, I'm a bit impatient when it comes to game. More often than not, I want to enjoy games I am hyped about right now and not months later. The redeeming factor regarding game-pass for me is that all first/second party games are supposed to come out on game-pass on day 1 of their release so there's that. Maybe I will pull the trigger for the next big Xbox exclusive. Guess I'll just wait for Halo Infinite.

Yes. Man up and attack that backlog. If you can't do it during these covid times when will you ever?

pasterpl

Most of the games on GamePass suffer from the same problem. At least until Microsoft starts creating more worthwhile first-party games. Those have been mostly absent since halfway through the 360 generation.
Forza horizon, sea of thieves, flight simulator, gears, gears tactics, ori ...all are not worthwhile, seriously, when people will understand that not everyone must like walking simulators, I own PS4 pro, bought most of the highly rated, worthwhile Sony exclusives and got disappointed each time I have tried these, sometimes even forcing myself to play some of these to try to get into it, to understand all that hype around them (played death stranding, driveclub, uncharted (completed all previous instalments), Spider-Man, horizon zero, the order, gow etc. Still own all - treat all more like a collection collecting dust). I play most on my Xbox, then pc, then GameCube, then on iPhone (with razor kishi), then psvita and my PS4 is on the last spot, least used machine. Literally I have not found anything interesting in Sony offering, except curiosity to understand that hype. Loved wipeout but Sony doesn’t care about this series anymore.

darthpaxton

Neo Member
It's a pretty easy formula. One year of GamePass Ultimate costs $180, so if there's three games you would have purchased and played that cost $60, it's probably worth it for you to subscribe. No, you don't own the games forever. If that's important to you, you probably shouldn't subscribe. Yes, Xbox has struggled to consistently put out quality first-party titles in the past. If you're worried that trend will continue, you probably shouldn't subscribe. Xbox doesn't seem interested in replicating Sony's massive, blockbuster, third-person, action-adventure games and is instead using its AAA efforts on RPGs, FPSs, and racing games. If you only enjoy Sony's third-person action-adventure games, you probably shouldn't subscribe because while I think you'll get a few of those on Xbox this generation, they don't seem as focused on it. Do you want to wait and see if Xbox delivers? Fine. Do you want to only subscribe for a month when something good comes out and cancel immediately? Fine.

I'm not sure why people struggle with this and this question comes up time and time again. Xbox isn't forcing you to subscribe to GamePass. They still make their games available via the traditional purchase model and all these companies can blow me, so it's not like anyone here needs to worry about Microsoft's bottom-line. If you think the value is fair, do it. If not, don't.

• Dirt 5
  • Elite Dangerous
  • Wreckfest
  • Pillar of Eternity II
  • Code Vein

Jesus Christ, you're getting a FUCK TON of games (including Xbox exclusives) for next to nothing.

What in actual fuck is there to question?

Kagey K

Banned
This.. I have like 300 plus games from psplus. I was there from the start. Have ps3 and psp games going back thag far. It's amazing and they don't go away. If I leave the sun and come back the games I had are still there.
Unless you stop subscribing, then you lose access to them all. until you resubscribe.

The exact same as games with gold (which is included with Gamepass Ultimate or by itself) with the one big difference being that if you stop subscribing you get to keep the 360 and OG Xbox games.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I understand the waffling -- I'm an analytical type, too, and sometimes I'll get caught in endlessly analyzing pros and cons. For some questions (e.g., whether to get married), it's important to look at all sides and be careful. But for something like this -- subbing to a game service -- I think all that analysis is probably wasted cognitive resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

Why not just sign up for a few months, try it, and see what you think? That way, you'll know for sure whether it feels worth it or not, rather than being stuck in analyzing hypothetical scenarios.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't get much or any use out of it and won't renew once my crazy $1 GPU upgrade deal runs out.

It doesn't really work for me either as having a time window to play games in just doesn't fit my style.

For other people it's a crazy value.

If it's not a great value for your personal habits; don't subscribe.

Kagey K

Banned
I don't get much or any use out of it and won't renew once my crazy $1 GPU upgrade deal runs out.

It doesn't really work for me either as having a time window to play games in just doesn't fit my style.

For other people it's a crazy value.

If it's not a great value for your personal habits; don't subscribe.
The time window is generally a year, sure there have been some shorter and some longer but a year is where most of them seem to land.

If you don’t get around to playing it within that year you likely weren’t going to play it or won’t miss it until it gets readded later.

This nonsense about playing against the clock, like you have a week to finish it or it’s gone is some ridiculous shit.

Last edited:
Yeah, sure. Poor / unemployed people aren't allowed to have fun with games, they should just look at a wall in their spare time. I think you need to get off your high horse, it's not like we're going though a pandemic right now with millions of people losing their jobs. Even if you do have the money, minor expenses are still worth considering.
Well then poor people are in luck because Game Pass is a great deal.

baphomet

just sign up for a month play, play what you want, and then cancel.

it's not worth staying signed up for, but once every 3-4 months it's not bad.

$30 a year and I play every single new Xbox game I want to.

DaGwaphics

just sign up for a month play, play what you want, and then cancel.

it's not worth staying signed up for, but once every 3-4 months it's not bad.

$30 a year and I play every single new Xbox game I want to.

Behold Beelzebub walks among us... :messenger_beaming:

Kacho

Gold Member
I think Game Pass is a hard sell for enthusiasts. I’ve subbed a couple times and didn’t get much out of it since I own the big games I want to play.

While you're sitting on the fence OP my family, friends and I have been playing these sorts of titles through GP -
  • Gears 5
  • Ori 2
  • Golfing with friends
  • Jackbox party games
  • Superhot
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Master Chief Collection
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Ark
  • Destiny 2
  • Grounded
  • Minecraft/Dungeons
  • No Man's Sky
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Five Night at Freddy's
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Ace Combat 7
  • Control
  • Lonely Mountains Downhill
  • Two Point Hospital
  • Titanfall 2
Insane value for money across my whole family. Also about to install -
  • Medium
  • Wreckfest
  • Day of the Tentacle remastered
  • Full Throttle remastered

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
One other thing to keep in mind for gamepass, the further behind you are on games (meaning haven't bought any in a while), the higher value it becomes. Or if you just decide to be patient.

Well, it turned out that MS is converting Gold toward Game pass Ultimate as a ratio of 1:1 here in Canada. I was wrongly informed. Not only that, but I got my number a bit wrong regarding what was left for my gold subscription. I thought I had until August or September for Gold but it turns out I had until December. Add the 1$ for a month deal, and I now have Ultimate until January of 2022.

Cool fact. I already owned multiple games as physical copies that are included with Game Pass. I had those installed. After activating Game Pass, I was able to play those games without having to insert the disk anymore. I didn't even have to uninstall the disk version then reinstall the digital version; it converted automatically. This is a big time saver to me as I had about 30 games already installed.

I'm really glad to see that some DLC are included in Game Pass. For example, Hyvebusters from Gears 5 is included. Also, there are a lot of games that are now enhanced by the 60fps latest "hack" from MS that are also available on Game Pass. I will definitely have a look at those.

Considering the upgrade was basically free and that I didn't lose any of my remaining time on my Gold subscription, I'd say it was a worthy move even though I don't really have the time right now to explore the entire library available with Game Pass. Basically, I didn't have to do that move, but for 1$, sure why not :)

Alright

Banned
Gamepass works for a lot of reasons. It also occupies a space that their competitors don't, allowing the competition to thrive in their own areas and giving a win win to gamers.

Genuinely, some of the best games I've ever played have been B tier games and gamepass has given me more this (last?) generation than I've had since the Dreamcast/OG xbox days

Just subscribe and pay the monthly while there is a game on there you want to play and when you’re done unsubscribe. Resub next time you want to play a game and so on.

Hinedorf

Banned
If you even play 5 games in a given year on gamepass, it basically pays for itself. There are definite moments where I use something else other than gamepass, but there's also times where I'm playing a 50$ game right out the gate for a fraction of the cost.

I would think of Gamepass the same way video game rentals used to occur. Gives you if nothing else a great option to try out many games before making any big purchase if you even need to.

Esppiral

Got 3 months for 24€ just so I could play The Medium, totally worth it.

Now playing Dirt 5, the amount of value is insane, I've always been against of this type of subscription based services but the amount of content and quality is well worth the price.

it’s changed the way i approach gaming and it reminds me of how i used to be with a chipped ps2 as a kid, trying random games that i never would have paid for and experimenting with genres im not usually interested in

it does mean there are games out there that I never finished and just tried for a bit, but I am enjoying this approach

SSfox

For me it's simple, i see what games i look forward in 2021. None of them will be in gamepass, so easy answer.

Also gamepass is 100$, but you add Xbox live and it will be 150$ and that's crazy money for just sub service (if you can't play the gamepass online mode game what's the point). Also the games on gamepass are rent you won't keep them. And if it's about trying games, there are demos of games, something that exists since begining of time.

Gamepass is good deal only for people that love MS games like Forza and Halo, and even then it's probably better to simply buy the games for 60 each (even less if you wait few weeks) when they came out, instead of feeding MS with 150$ per year for years.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

For me it's simple, i see what games i look forward in 2021. None of them will be in gamepass, so easy answer.

Also gamepass is 100$, but you add Xbox live and it will be 150$ and that's crazy money for just sub service (if you can't play the gamepass online mode game what's the point). Also the games on gamepass are rent you won't keep them. And if it's about trying games, there are demos of games, something that exists since begining of time.

Gamepass is good deal only for people that love MS games like Forza and Halo, and even then it's probably better to simply buy the games for 60 each (even less if you wait few weeks) when they came out, instead of feeding MS with 150$ per year for years.
GPU has both GP and Live for 15 bucks or €12.99, nobody needs to pay 250 usd per year lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
GPU has both GP and Live for 15 bucks or €12.99, nobody needs to pay 250 usd per year lol.
Pretty sure the $1 Gamepass upgrade is still going on.

Annual Gold is $60 at Costco Canada. Buy 3 for $180 (assuming someone doesn't have Gold. Buy less years if they have Gold already). Add tax (I think it gets taxed). Do the $1 upgrade.

You now have 3 years of GPU for about $200 if its maxed out with someone new to Gold.

New games here are now $90. $100 after tax. So for the price of two new games, you can instead have GPU for years.

Last edited:

Izumar

Banned
Gamepass Ultimate has been on sale for 20 dollars for three months around the holidays. It is like 80-90 dollars a year if you are smart about it and gold is included with that.

Just like Xbox live and PS+ can be had for 30-35 dollars a year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamepass Ultimate has been on sale for 20 dollars for three months around the holidays. It is like 80-90 dollars a year if you are smart about it and gold is included with that.

Just like Xbox live and PS+ can be had for 30-35 dollars a year.
People are lazy.

I don't see deals for annual Gold memberships much any more at stores, but the regular price is $60 at Costco Canada. You dont even have to buy it at a store. Buy it online and they send an email code within 24 hours. Everyone else is $70. And that's not even looking for online discount codes or eBay purchases.

Costco used to have these on deal for $40 years ago. I'd buy 2 every couple years.

I've never paid for regular price ever for Gold. Even the first time I bought it for 360, I found a place that was selling for the same price of a 12 month card, some kind of communications bundle pack on clearance that had an extra headset, 12 month Gold, 1200 Xbox Pts and some free XBLA games.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
There is so much to choose from (especially at the moment) that its slightly stressful to know which game I want to dedicate time too.

Anyone else get this?

johnjohn

The reason everyone calls it the best deal in gaming is because it really is the best deal in gaming. Easily the best thing to come out of last gen. It's honestly never felt better to be a gamer.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I've had it for a while. It's only a good deal if you can't afford to actually buy the games you're really wanting to play and will settle for games that are "good enough".

I own GamePass, PS Now, Switch online, PS+ and Games with Gold. Out of those, the full current collection on PS+ games is easily the best collection of games.

Still, I buy the games I want to play. I dont feel compelled to play games I'm not very interested in just because I'm paying for them via GamePass or PS Now.
tenor.gif

RAIDEN1

My trial period comes to an end next week, but I might just get it for another 3 months, as it has been good with the variety you get, from Yakuza, to Deliver Us the Moon, to Elite, to Soul Calibur..

OP is thinking way to hard about something you don't have to commit to, can get £1/$1 trials on, or can get three years for $120

Top Bottom