• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So i live in Japan and I'm going to buy a second hand Wii U. Nintendo, ASSEMBLE!

Tschumi

Let us not forget about the imperial GOAT of our time, and his game on the Wii U

Yoshi’s Wooly World

10/10 description. That’s pretty accurate lol
Tbh i really like the look of that game lol, yoshi's, i dig the visuals.. my girl and i have loved Sackboy, have a feeling we'll like this too

Tschumi

I have seen something about needing to purchase a ds game in the vc to be overwritten. Is there a way around thay? I want to play wind waker?
Nah you gotta do that, but also any ds game works and they're pretty much all under $10. There's a list out there, should be pretty easy to find.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
51VcnRNyhwL._SY445_.jpg
You get Funky Barn yet Tschumi Tschumi ?

teezzy

Banned
I've not!

Searching...

Humorous farming sim? My girl might dig it... Do you like it?

My favorites were Tekken Tag 2 Wii U Edition and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Funky Barn is borderline shovelware but it has a special place in my heart. There's a lot to love about it and it's addictive even if the budget shows

So... yes

Last edited:

Tschumi

My favorites were Tekken Tag 2 Wii U Edition and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Funky Barn is borderline shovelware but it has a special place in my heart. There's a lot to love about it and it's addictive even if the budget shows

So... yes
I felt the same about a few GameCube titles.. I'll give it a chance lol

I'm scared of Monster Hunter 3 lol, I've got my ps4 pro for games i wanna sink a thousand hours into haha, I think the longest games I'm gonna play on this thing will be Zelda ones, and similar... (My implication being that an online game is too great a temptation)

I think i would say that thus far my favourite title is TWW HD, but that's born purely of ignorance lol because I've only had the bloody thing a few days.. I'm interested in the wonderful 101, ofc breath of the broken weapons, too

Tschumi

Tschumi Tschumi how do you pay for games on the online store? I have a foreign credit card and I am not sure if it would work on the Wii U store.
I used a workaround to allow my console to play my archive of old GameCube game images, i haven't tried wiiu games yet so I'm not much help :)

However, i somehow doubt Nintendo would let you use a foreign card.. but regardless, won't know until you use it! Any games you buy for a Japanese system will be Japanese only though, i believe

Trimesh

Banned
Tschumi Tschumi how do you pay for games on the online store? I have a foreign credit card and I am not sure if it would work on the Wii U store.

The easiest way is to get a JPY Nintendo eShop card. You also need to create a Japanese eShop account to use it.

Non-Japanese credit cards generally don't work. I have found a strange edge case in that a JCB card issued by BEA in Hong Kong with a HK billing address but with a default "Ship To" address in Japan managed to slip past the gaijin filter, but that could just be a fluke.

Tschumi

The easiest way is to get a JPY Nintendo eShop card. You also need to create a Japanese eShop account to use it.

Non-Japanese credit cards generally don't work. I have found a strange edge case in that a JCB card issued by BEA in Hong Kong with a HK billing address but with a default "Ship To" address in Japan managed to slip past the gaijin filter, but that could just be a fluke.
That's right, they're all over convenience stores here, good idea!

Scotty W

Gold Member
I used a workaround to allow my console to play my archive of old GameCube game images, i haven't tried wiiu games yet so I'm not much help :)

However, i somehow doubt Nintendo would let you use a foreign card.. but regardless, won't know until you use it! Any games you buy for a Japanese system will be Japanese only though, i believe
I thought you had to buy a game on the eshop in order ‘mount’ a game on it.

Do you have to buy a Wii U specific card? I see those cards all the time, but I al ways assumed they were for specific games.

Trimesh

Banned

Do you have to buy a Wii U specific card? I see those cards all the time, but I al ways assumed they were for specific games.

Uses the same cards as used for the Switch - they have "Nintendo Prepaid Card" (well, "ニンテンドープリペイドカード") printed on them and a yen amount. IIRC, the 5000 yen card has Mario on it. If you have an old NNID based account on your WiiU you will need to link the accounts to use the balance.

Tschumi

Any ds game works, i have a local debit card, also yeah there are prepaid cards in convenience stores.. are you in-country?

Last edited:

Tschumi

Tokyo, bro-san

Hmmm, I should be able to link my account from my Switch. Omoshiroi desu.
Nagoya, here :) yeah i think the lead to go to 7/11 is best, you don't have a debit card? Only need to add ¥500 and just buy the cheapest ds games you can find

Scotty W

Gold Member
Nagoya, here :) yeah i think the lead to go to 7/11 is best, you don't have a debit card? Only need to add ¥500 and just buy the cheapest ds games you can find
Sugoi desu. Is Nagoya worth a visit? I know they have a castle, but I’ve seen lots of castles by now.

My debit situation is a bit mysterious to me, and banks are confusing places. I thinks I have a cash card, so I just take out cash all the time and pay for everything with that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Interestingly enough, the Japanese address/credit card requirement was not a thing on the 3DS, so one work around if you have a Japanese 3DS is to add funds on your 3DS and then go spend them on a different system's eShop assuming you have your accounts linked. If you live in Japan, though, just popping over to a convenience store and buying eShop cards is probably easier.

Tschumi

Sugoi desu. Is Nagoya worth a visit? I know they have a castle, but I’ve seen lots of castles by now.

My debit situation is a bit mysterious to me, and banks are confusing places. I thinks I have a cash card, so I just take out cash all the time and pay for everything with that.
What's your bank? I'm with ufj, it wasn't too hard to apply for a debit card.. makes a big difference.. get a buddy to help?

Nagoya is hard to describe, it's generally considered the richest and least interesting city, more or less.. but they try, yeah they've got a few castles - nobunaga and ieyasu both came from this region - i guess I'd need to know exactly what you're after..

(A new 3ds is a snap to hack and has some amazing games, including ports of n64 classics with appreciable visual boosts, wouldn't need anything from the store and they're cheap as chips)

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I’m with jp. I hate the bureaucracy so much I can’t imagine dragging a friend into that.

I am mad for Japanese gardens. Tokyo has a great selection, though Kyoto might be a bit better. Most of the castles here are pretty new though, like in Odawara, where they voluntarily tore down a castle in the 19th C and then rebuilt it a few decades later.

Top Bottom