• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I playing Horizon Dawn Zero and it's not aged well

assurdum

Banned
Personal opinion of course but I can't avoid to say I'm not particularly impressed by the game. I'm not saying it's bad but some flaws are literally annoying. Now I avoided the game at the launch because honestly doesn't appear particularly interesting but actually is available on PSN with a good price so I give a try.
Graphically is surely beautiful though not perfect as expected and CBR starts to show it's limitations in the thin geometry. Game is particularly aliased in such situations but fortunately thin geometry are a rarity in Horizon (not in Death Stranding and IQ is atrocious in the cities but it's OT). Another big issue it's the static grass, see the character walk through it as it was transparent is more annoying than I reminded. Unbelievable they never fixed it via patch (though on pc they did it but eh). Otherwise characters are surely phenomenal, very detailed and a league ahead to RDR2 or most of the others open world in the market. Sure it suffers of popup but shitty jaguar CPU so cant really blame Guerrilla for that.

Talking about the gameplay it's now I starts to notice some issue. My biggest problem is the combat system. It's incredibly simplistic and dull, doesn't give back the right feeling when you hit something and it's quite unsatisfying as a bit chaotic, the only way to avoid an enemies attack is roll and that's all. The enemies are incredibly agile, too much honestly, I understood they are machine but see a crocodile jump as a jaguar it's ridiculous. I mean, bigger enemies are more powerful sure, but at least they should be slower but nope even a cat in comparison seems a sloth.
Said that, I hope the sequel is more refined and it's not a bad game after all but honestly I expected a bit more hearing the general consensus.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, the game didn't do it for me either. Good graphics and the robot design was awesome, but the gameplay was fairly simple sometimes, specially the stealth and the combat against human enemies.

Might give it another chance on pc down the line.

Papacheeks

Banned
What your describing about the combat has been talked about by most reviewers. You are not alone. The weapons feel fine, but how you maneuver and use melee needs some work for sure. Hope they get crazier with the trap weapons. That was fun setting up a crazy trap then getting a thunderjaw to run at you only to instantly die by all the traps and bombs I had laid out.

Wish there was a little more in the crafting of ammo, and weapons as well. like using parts off of the mechanical creatures to craft weapons on the fly.

Nezzeroth

I'm playing it again on PS5 and it's the exact opposite for me, it's as good as I remembered it.

I don't really understand your complaints about the combat. Robo-crocodiles should be slow? Why? They are robots, resembling animals from the real world doesn't mean they have to have their limitations.

What's ironic is that you ask for realism but then complain you can only roll against the enemies. Blocking the attacks of a giant dinosaur with a shield would be realistic to you?

Last edited:

Outlier

All the more opportunity for Guerilla Games to make the combat better.

I loved the for it's graphics and story. The combat was it's biggest blemish.

assurdum

Banned
well,as you said op,its your personal opinion ,i wholly disagree,and the whole "they move so fast" its pretty dumb,they are fucking machines,thats the whole point
I mean you haven't to agree with me at all costs but could be interested to hear in what you disagree exactly. Oh the machine things. Well in my opinion if a machine represent an animal it should act as him, not sure what's dump about it. See enormous machine which represent heavy animals to jump as a monkey it's literally ridicolous.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
- Not well balanced difficulty
- Boring open world
- too much filler in the primary story
- intro that is cliche as hell

This game is just ok, but it's from Sony, so it's great

For a first try from a studio that made somewhat uninspired shooters it was great. Especially story wise. ANd honestly using traps doesn't feel as good until you're maxed out which is more towards the end. It has similar issues to days gone. Days gone has good gameplay, it's just the meat of the game doesn't really kick in until closer to the third act, and it takes to long to get there.

On top of the story not being as well written as Horizon.

Yup a bit overrated imo.

It's ok but nothing special. Hope the sequel is much better.

Would rather have Guerilla make a solid multiplayer PFS.

Outlier

I'm playing it again on PS5 and it's the exact opposite for me, it's as good as I remembered it.

I don't really understand your complains about the combat. Robo-crocodiles should be slow? Why? They are robots, resembling animals from the real world doesn't mean they have to have their limitations.

What's ironic is that you ask for realism but then complain you can only roll against the enemies. Blocking the attacks of a giant dinosaur with a shield would be realistic to you?
People don't realize Crocs are NOT slow.

Until it's too late...

Chukhopops

I played it last year and I think the graphics held really well (except the water effects that look really dated) but the AI was a bit disappointing both for humans and robots and it was a bit too easy to abuse traps and tripwires. Most fights would be about putting down 20+ traps and using line of sight to pull the enemy in.

I enjoyed the parts of the story about the past (I actually liked the final twist) but couldn’t give a shit about the present ones and the tribes and stuff.

Woman7

Banned
I'm playing a game I enjoy very much right now. I avoid games that do not interest me enough, regardless of discounts. Life is too short to play stuff that that doesn't look like prime material to me.

Learn from my wisdom. For free.

assurdum

Banned

I don't really understand your complaints about the combat. Robo-crocodiles should be slow? Why? They are robots, resembling animals from the real world doesn't mean they have to have their limitations.

So a robot can break the physical law when it's enormous? Can I say I have to disagree and I find particularly frustrating play against supernatural enemies especially when you have a limited range of moves and weapons?

Last edited:

Rikkori

Mediocre open world game at best, played it on PS4 Pro first but had to stop due to the shitty fov. Then it took so long from PC announcement to release I was kinda over it but tried again a few weeks ago and I just had to stop. It's awfully boring.

Honestly if it wasn't a Sony game people would rag on it a LOT more. Being an exclusive it gets cut a LOT of slack. It's definitely not anywhere close to as good as even the worst recent AC game (Valhalla).

assurdum

Banned
For a first try from a studio that made somewhat uninspired shooters it was great. Especially story wise. ANd honestly using traps doesn't feel as good until you're maxed out which is more towards the end. It has similar issues to days gone. Days gone has good gameplay, it's just the meat of the game doesn't really kick in until closer to the third act, and it takes to long to get there.

On top of the story not being as well written as Horizon.
Killzone is far from uninspired and really underrated.

REDRZA MWS

It’s one of the most gorgeous games I’ve even seen. But same, could never get into the gameplay. It always felt very clunky and not fun.

Nezzeroth

So a robot can break the physical law when it's enormous? Can I say I have to disagree and I find particularly frustrating play against supernatural enemies especially when you have a limited range of moves and weapons?
Can you provide video of these physical law breaking robots? Because I can't remember them. Jumping and moving fast doesn't break any physical laws.

Walking while crouched is more unrealistic than what the robots do.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
What does any of this stuff have to do with aging? All of those issues existed when the game first released, and people were pointing them out even back then.
I suspect if I played it at the launch, I would have complained less about some gameplay aspect especially coming after the witcher 3. It was something of new but today the gameplay seems very limited in his mechanics. That's why I say it s not aged well.

assurdum

Banned
Can you provide video of these physical law breaking robots? Because I can't remember them. Jumping and moving fast doesn't break any physical laws.

Walking while crouched is more unrealistic than what the robots do.
Some enormous machine jump close to you when they were miles away. Why I should provide a video? And the size affect absolutely the speed. For me it's a bit ridicolous but of course it is just my personal take

Last edited:

klosos

I have tried three times to really get into HZD , however each time after 5-7 hours i get bored and just put it down. Its funny I really like open world games but something is not clicking with me.

But i can see why people like it , its just not for me.

Also Aloys Voice Actress was not very good, her voice seemed really monotone with no emotion what so ever. It looked great though so that's the main thing for a lot of gamers I suppose.

Last edited:

greencoder

Well, I don't give a damn about all these flaws, not because it's a PS game, but because there are very few good dinosaur-themed video games. And I like dinosaurs.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

Bought and played at launch - the hype helped a lot.

50% of a rpg was missing. Half the 'dungeons' were walk and talk missions collecting tapes.

And the gameplay isn't as 50% good as the gifs. Clunky melee, poor fov, some weak ass bow stuff, aiming, feels etc.

Some of the combat just felt like it hadn't been thought through - eg they made a big deal of "remove thunderjaw's armor, aim at heart for massive damage' in the OG trailer - in the game it takes ages to remove that specific plate, and when you hit it you only get +50% damage ..

..the enemy AI was a pain combined with limited skill set they all do the exact same thing - face you head on and charge .. yet the game puts the weak spots on the side/back etc. Once combat has started there's practically no way to hit these unless you want to waste your time.

etc etc.

I could almost say it was no fun to play. The game was saved by a big dollop of awesome, but you'd have to pay me to play it through again ..

very pretty game but the combat itself if extremely clunky....game gets good towards the end and by then the dlc repeats the same issue as the orginal game

if part 2 evolves the actual combat i will be happy

assurdum

Banned
Because it's literally not true. Unless a mile is now a few meters away.
What you call few meters are around 10 meters if not more anyway. Now if you are fine with that, that's ok, but not told me because they are machine they can do whatever they want with the physics.

Concern

I enjoyed the story but eventually was put off by the game. Found it beyond boring. Disappointed that they're making a sequel over a new killzone.

GymWolf

On ultra hard he still has the best tps combat compared to any other third person open world of this gen imo.

Combat it's only dull at low difficulty because you don't need to use all your arsenal and enemies are way less ferocious and resistant.

The hit animations are utter shit against humans yes, but dinobot get rocked with different animation when you hit a weak point with strong damage, but yeah there is a big margin of improvement for the sequel.
But you can't expect big dinobot getting staggered by any single arrow you shoot, it would be silly especially with the big ones.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Yea definitely one of the most overrated open world games ever.

Great bow combat.

Everything else sucked tho. Movement sucked. Platforming sections were some uncharted and tomb raider esque highlighted ledges on rails nonsense.

Gameplay felt last gen when it dropped. Especially with games like Witcher, AssCreed and Zelda around.

Sony bias in full effect with it. It’s a solid 7 at best

Last edited:

fermcr

Played it PC, didn't finish the main story.
It's a good open world game with nice graphics, but becomes boring after a while... it's not a great game that some people make it out to be. Way over-hyped.

Nezzeroth

What you call few meters are around 10 meters if not more anyway. Now if you are fine with that, that's ok, but not told me because they are machine they can do whatever they want with the physics.
10 meters is too much? You know humans can almost jump that amount, right? The olympic record is 8.95 meters. You're telling me a robot (some of them literally war machines) jumping more than that is breaking physics laws?

ClosBSAS

They finally fixed pc version, thats the way to play. But yes, its not the second coming of christ like playstation fans make it out to be. Dialogue animations are whack

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Talking about the gameplay it's now I starts to notice some issue. My biggest problem is the combat system. It's incredibly simplistic and dull, doesn't give back the right feeling when you hit something and it's quite unsatisfying as a bit chaotic, the only way to avoid an enemies attack is roll and that's all. The enemies are incredibly agile, too much honestly, I understood they are machine but see a crocodile jump as a jaguar it's ridiculous. I mean, bigger enemies are more powerful sure, but at least they should be slower but nope even a cat in comparison seems a sloth.
Said that, I hope the sequel is more refined and it's not a bad game after all but honestly I expected a bit more hearing the general consensus.

If you're complaining about a simplistic and dull combat system, it sounds to me you're not using all weapons available to you. You're also not making use of the weak points each robot animal has. One of the best things about HZD was that you could approach each beast with a different tactic. Making canisters on different animals explode and then take out more of them never stops being fun. Or shooting off a weapon on a T-rex back and then using it against him. Using corruption arrows and make the animals fight eachother. Luring animals to your traps. Using the ropecaster to pin them down. Etc etc. The combat system was terrific.

Top Bottom