• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I playing Horizon Dawn Zero and it's not aged well

assurdum

Banned
10 meters is too much? You know humans can almost jump that amount, right? The olympic record is 8.95 meters. You're telling me a robot (some of them literally war machines) jumping more than that is breaking physics laws?
Listen dude, I haven't a calculator in my eye and you attack me in something really pretestuos. As I said enormous machine can go over you in less than a second but because they are machine for you it's normal they can do something like this. For me it s not, but now let's not take literally the measurement used in my word as a scientific parameters.

Last edited:
Wholeheartedly disagree. Great game. Everything was pretty much top notch, as far as I can remember. And story blew me away at the end, very very smart. So yeah, loved the game, played on hardest difficulty and I guess that could change your experience completely. If I could mention one thing I would add, it’s some romance for Aloy and perhaps steamy sex scene, that would make it 11/10. She needs to relax from time to time.

x@3f*oo_e!

If you really want to do that you can use the ropecaster so they stay still and shoot them where they are weak. Or stun them and do the same.
Yeah I tried the rope caster - (it does help) - takes about 6 (?) ropes for a Thunderjaw iirc, then it's down for like 1-2 seconds I can get one spear hit .. well that's how it felt anway.. Sticky bombs were way more fun

- I think they tried too hard to make the combat 'tactical' when some of the best fun was using thunderjaw's disc launcher or Raveger's (?) orb cannon against them. Game need more 'big weapon go brrr'

As for stunning - I need to hit the weak point first right ..which was the problem.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
If you're complaining about a simplistic and dull combat system, it sounds to me you're not using all weapons available to you. You're also not making use of the weak points each robot animal has. One of the best things about HZD was that you could approach each beast with a different tactic. Making canisters on different animals explode and then take out more of them never stops being fun. Or shooting off a weapon on a T-rex back and then using it against him. Using corruption arrows and make the animals fight eachother. Luring animals to your traps. Using the ropecaster to pin them down. Etc etc. The combat system was terrific.
Well my major complaint about the combat system is to be too much focused to the weapon use and nothing else, to be fair.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

If I could mention one thing I would add, it’s some romance for Aloy and perhaps steamy sex scene, that would make it 11/10. She needs to relax from time to time.
There was romance - she was so thirsty for Varl by the end of the game. All this "mmh Varl seems like a nice boy." stuff

Last edited:
This surprises me to hear, because I love almost everything about the game. The visuals, combat, story. Playing this at the same time as Breath of the Wild did make me feel a bit too confined when exploring or traversal, but that's really my only complaint.

Papacheeks

Banned
Killzone is far from uninspired and really underrated.

oh, so thats why they dropped it?

Killzone 2 is a fun game, and i enjoyed killzone 3 and shadowfall, but outside of the gun design, and great physics the world, lore is pretty shit. It never took off. So obviously there were issues in how that franchise was perceived.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
even at launch the game had issues. i enjoyed it so don't think i'm hating on it but there are a few things i really hope the sequel improves upon.

when the expansion came out i wanted to play it but couldn't bring myself to replay the game. once is enough.

10/10 visuals.

6/10 gameplay.

But it's Sony, so.......
basically every naughty dog game right there lol.

good visuals but mediocre gameplay

Last edited:
Easily the worst AAA Sony first party game, boring characters, world, and combat. Only slightly worse than God of War

gorgeous visuals though but just like with Kratos, a total snoozefest.

Nezzeroth

Yeah I tried the rope caster - (it does help) - takes about 6 (?) ropes for a Thunderjaw iirc, then it's down for like 1-2 seconds I can get one spear hit .. well that's how it felt anway.. Sticky bombs were way more fun

- I think they tried too hard to make the combat 'tactical' when some of the best fun was using thunderjaw's disc launcher or Raveger's (?) orb cannon against them. Game need more 'big weapon go brrr'

As for stunning - I need to hit the weak point first right ..which was the problem.
No I mean using electricity-based weapons. You can use slings, traps or elemental arrows to do that. When the circle gets full they are stunned (same as freezing with ice and the fire DoT).

Not sure if it works with the Thunderjaw, but it does work with most other enemies from what I remember. Tbh I kinda prefer there's no way to "cheese" those big fights, it made it more epic for me.

I'll say a few negatives that I do hope change for the sequel:

- Melee combat is pretty ass and could be vastly improved.
- Mounts suck in general. The amount of times I've struggled with them when walking on rocks is too much. They are also too similar, basically same shape all of them.
- Side quests could definitely be better.
- I think the open world would be better if it was more dynamic.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well my major complaint about the combat system is to be too much focused to the weapon use and nothing else, to be fair.

The game is bad because you can't fight the robot animals using your fists? Or have a good conversation with them and then pacify them using your advanced persuasion skills?

This is a game of stone age tribes people fighting monsters with a sci-fi twist. The combat fits the theme.

assurdum

Banned
oh, so thats why they dropped it?

Killzone 2 is a fun game, and i enjoyed killzone 3 and shadowfall, but outside of the gun design, and great physics the world, lore is pretty shit. It never took off. So obviously there were issues in how that franchise was perceived.
Because it doesn't sell enough well especially after the second. It's not like a game need the be a masterpiece, come on, sales are the only reasons. Killzone 2 was phenomenal, Killzone 3 meh and Shadow fall was exceptional the first half but the second part became terrible, with more scripted area, stupid machine bot and uninspired final sessions. Smell of rushed launch and it hurts considered how good was for the first hours.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
if the game was not a sony exclusive title it would be put in the same folder as the last 3 assassins creed...but with good HDR

It has a far more interesting story that is not tied down to a over-lurking story arc like AC titles are beholden too. Its setting is also more interesting. ANd the AI for the robots feel like real animals.

It's not perfect, traversal needs a overhaul, quests need to be more varied and interesting. ANd combat needs more variety for melee, and weapons mod/upgradability. But for a first try on a "new" idea/ip they did amazing. Something Nintendo and xbox need to do more often with their teams/studios.

Be nice if Coalition got away from gears for a while and went on to make something new. Same is said about 343. This is why we get ghost of tsushima, last of us, reboot of god of war, days gone were so successful financially(commercially maybe not for days gone).

Sony lets their people work on whatever they want as long as it adds up to something meaningful.

assurdum

Banned
The game is bad because you can't fight the robot animals using your fists? Or have a good conversation with them and then pacify them using your advanced persuasion skills?

This is a game of stone age tribes people fighting monsters with a sci-fi twist. The combat fits the theme.
Good Lord. Where I said that? If for you it's fine as it is good for you, for me gameplay is simplistic and uninspired because it doesn't go beyond the weapons usage. As it was the only mechanics possible otherwise it's just to talk or punch in the face an enemies. The hell of stupid comment is that. If you have a limited fantasy don't blame me because I pretend more than you in a game like this.

Last edited:

Vick

Disagree with every single thing, basically. It's probably one of my favourite games of all time, story was superb, design, sounds, visuals and especially the damn combat, i can't believe i'm seeing people criticizing it when i became so good at the game i play on Ultra Hard with no HUD and barely ever miss a target.

Awesome DLC also.. visually is a beast even on Consoles, and with the PC version fixing the non-interactive vegetation the game is basically flawless now.

YPMZ91o.png

hSDfmTq.png

02FDD9S.png

QraNeHw.png

awmwFds.png

smYxysX.png

nEhsYWt.png

BYe03O6.png

cM2KH1s.png

b6QRUsC.png

dJVL4Ck.png

V82Cazl.png

HnQr52F.png

bcMasqf.png

yjx6IIn.png

5L6sIOA.png

Oc7XmjR.png

Wm4Fcq5.png

fYyBDo3.png

GBur02l.png

UkOtQEU.png

Amazing game imo.

basically every naughty dog game right there lol.

good visuals but mediocre gameplay
So mediocre after 7 and 5 years people are still playing daily their Multiplayer.. what a stupid, clueless comment.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

No I mean using electricity-based weapons. You can use slings, traps or elemental arrows to do that. When the circle gets full they are stunned (same as freezing with ice and the fire DoT).

Not sure if it works with the Thunderjaw, but it does work with most other enemies from what I remember. Tbh I kinda prefer there's no way to "cheese" those big fights, it made it more epic for me.

I'll say a few negatives that I do hope change for the sequel:

- Melee combat is pretty ass and could be vastly improved.
- Mounts suck in general. The amount of times I've struggled with them when walking on rocks is too much. They are also too similar, basically same shape all of them.
- Side quests could definitely be better.
- I think the open world would be better if it was more dynamic.
Oh yeah I remember now- the smaller flying things (glinthawk ?) got incapacitated by fire arrow iirc.

I hope they fix those things too. Mounts were slow too. Traversal in Death Stranding was way better AND faster (and other improvements to the engine) - hopefully some of that will be copied over.

Last edited:

S73v3

Banned
HzD was never really good, it has a honey moon period like most Sony funded games, after the initial shine, the boredom sets in, you intend to pick it up again when the dlc launches, but you never do.

If you do end up playing it for a long time, you are subconsciously mired in regret and shame.

The quintessential Sony™ experience.

lol I'm half serious

Mabdia

Dunno...
I get a sealed copy for 1$. Candy money for a game thanks to a Amazon gift card that Amazon gave to me.

Yet, played it for 5 to 6 hours and, so far, looks like a really boring beautiful game.

Hope that the game gets better. Trying to understand all the hype when the game was released.

UnNamed

Banned
Horizon was a really good game, but also very bland. It's openword is a manual of what is wrong in open world games, too generic, too ripetitive, lifeless.

It's value is a really good combat system, at least when you face dinorobots since humans were boring, and a well balanced upgrades system where perks doesn't help you too much and you become stronger because you learn how to master the upgrades, not because you have overpowered weapons and skills.
And the incredible graphics of course, Cauldrons especially still are visually the best scenarios ever seen in a video games.

Last edited:

DonF

I made the huge mistake of playing this right after playing Breath of the wild and god dammit, this game needed a climbing system cause it feels so limited.
Having the same ish world of zelda, the game feels very restrictive in it's movement and exploration options.
Also, I absolutely hate the armor and weapons system. I don't feel engaged having to change my armor one second to battle a frost enemy, then changing to a stealth armor to try to clear a hideout to change to a bow with corruption arrows cause now I'm battling a machine and then back to the bow that damages machines and causes tear. Just include all of that in the main bow/armor.

About the combat, yeah...I don't think you are playing it right. There is a reason you can tag and show the enemy's path. You have to lay traps, both the items and the ones from the ...rope caster I believe its called? Thats the game's combat. I don't like this slow methodical approach, I tend to go all out, triple fire arrow to the head myself. Also, enemies are fast, but you have like 3 slow mo options, you have to use those .

assurdum

Banned
Wholeheartedly disagree. Great game. Everything was pretty much top notch, as far as I can remember. And story blew me away at the end, very very smart. So yeah, loved the game, played on hardest difficulty and I guess that could change your experience completely. If I could mention one thing I would add, it’s some romance for Aloy and perhaps steamy sex scene, that would make it 11/10. She needs to relax from time to time.
I have even difficult in normal. I find it a bit chaotic in the weapon/elements stuff and it create to me a lot of confusion .

Teslerum

I actually enjoyed the gameplay/combat and its my favorite part of the game. Story was decent, but overrated, main quests were good, side quests ranged from decent to abysmal and Aloy is an arrogant bitch.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I made the huge mistake of playing this right after playing Breath of the wild and god dammit, this game needed a climbing system cause it feels so limited.
Having the same ish world of zelda, the game feels very restrictive in it's movement and exploration options.
Also, I absolutely hate the armor and weapons system. I don't feel engaged having to change my armor one second to battle a frost enemy, then changing to a stealth armor to try to clear a hideout to change to a bow with corruption arrows cause now I'm battling a machine and then back to the bow that damages machines and causes tear. Just include all of that in the main bow/armor.

About the combat, yeah...I don't think you are playing it right. There is a reason you can tag and show the enemy's path. You have to lay traps, both the items and the ones from the ...rope caster I believe its called? Thats the game's combat. I don't like this slow methodical approach, I tend to go all out, triple fire arrow to the head myself. Also, enemies are fast, but you have like 3 slow mo options, you have to use those .
You are definitely right. I don't play it right almost surely. But I blame the game because isn't it absolutely intuitive as intended neither balanced that well in the tree skills. It should lead more the player in some area and it's definitely a problem when you discover to have missed something and you can't go back because you are stuck in a mission .

Last edited:

Roufianos

I disagree. I played it at launch for a bit at launch and didn't really like it.

I then went back to it this year and loved it. I definitely agree there's huge improvements to be made but it can still be enjoyed in 2020.

Mithos

Loved the game. (platinumed)

I have also seen A LOT of youtubers play this game and most of them do the same mistake(s).

They scan the robots and correctly calls out the element its weak against, but...

1. They do not fill up the circle full when attacking so the elemental effect do NOT trigger.
2. They attack the wrong part of the robots (shooting fire elemental on a electrric elemental weak part, to make an example) making the attacks super weak.

You can drop these beasts with like 3 arrows each (at most), if you know what element and where to shoot.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dunno how It's "aged poorly" we're in 2020, not 2040.

It's a mixed bag game, it has good ideas but the game design choices are the same old shit. I doubt the sequel will be bold enough to reinvent itself but I hope underwater combat and exploration is good at least.

MiguelItUp

I love that you said "it hasn't aged well", when it really isn't that old, especially on PC, lmao.

I get what you're saying though, I just think you're just not into it and that happens. I myself haven't given the game a chance cause something about it just doesn't call to me. 🤷‍♂️

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It was never great... Story is nonsense with gaia computer ai
constant picking up of branches
combat is annoying more than fun
empty world
It just felt tiring more than fun. And I loved Death Stranding

But great graphics, pretty cool characters and solid minimal bugs game overall

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Loved the game. (platinumed)

I have also seen A LOT of youtubers play this game and most of them do the same mistake(s).

They scan the robots and correctly calls out the element its weak against, but...

1. They do not fill up the circle full when attacking so the elemental effect do NOT trigger.
2. They attack the wrong part of the robots (shooting fire elemental on a electrric elemental weak part, to make an example) making the attacks super weak.
Game seems to have definitely serious issue to train the player if it affects so many players.

Last edited:

YoodlePro

Lol at this thread.

I was completely blown away when I first played it, story, setting, machines everything. I even postponed playing the frozen wilds dlc until I got back to my setup (covid... messing things up). I am probably going to do NG+ on PS5, and day one on HZD2.

Some of you guys comparing this to generic Ubisoft crapware should be ashamed really.

assurdum

Banned
I love that you said "it hasn't aged well", when it really isn't that old, especially on PC, lmao.

I get what you're saying though, I just think you're just not into it and that happens. I myself haven't given the game a chance cause something about it just doesn't call to me. 🤷‍♂️
For not aged well I'm intending purely in the combat system. Game has not exactly an advanced melee combat system and when you fight humans enemies it feels off to me.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Lol at this thread.

I was completely blown away when I first played it, story, setting, machines everything. I even postponed playing the frozen wilds dlc until I got back to my setup (covid... messing things up). I am probably going to do NG+ on PS5, and day one on HZD2.

Some of you guys comparing this to generic Ubisoft crapware should be ashamed really.
What exactly is it lol in this thread? I think people are entitled to have different opinions.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It is one of my favorite games this gen. I really enjoyed the story and fighting all the robot dinos. There are some improvements that can be made for the next, but overall a great experience. It's only a few years old so I don't think it can age poorly just yet.

assurdum

Banned
Or maybe they should pay attention to... THE GAME... and not the youtube/twitch chat...
Probably will fix 99.99% of the people not knowing what to do in a game...
I have exactly the same issue and I can assure I don't chat during my sessions. Most of stuff I have to do I get it too much later, isn't it exactly intuitive especially again the machines. Many times I find me to be without enough ammo or with the right weapon for fight.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

itself but I hope underwater combat and exploration is good at least
My predictions for HZD2
  1. They fix the old robot combat now everyone likes it
  2. New underwater combat sucks
  3. Underwater exploration is slow as fuck and needs to manage oxygen
  4. ..\
  5. 50% of the game is underwater

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I was so bored with the story and characters at first that I shelved the game for a year.

I came back to it and it just scratched the right itch and I ended up liking it quite a bit. I have a list of issues with it between gameplay and story problems, but I think Guerilla has a chance of making the next one really spectacular.

DonF

You are definitely right. I don't play it right almost surely. But I blame the game because isn't it absolutely intuitive as intended neither balanced that well in the tree skills. It should lead more the player in some area and it's definitely a problem when you discover to have missed something and you can't go back because you are stuck in a mission .
Totally right. Also the skill tree is close to useless. Just a gate keep for abilities. The game's stronger thing to me is it's graphics. It's a god damn looker. But the gameplay is slow and as you said, not that well explained. I learned more from the trailers than the game itself.

Fredrik

Come on now. It’s a great and beautiful open world action adventure without the traversal freedom we’ve come to expect in modern open world games after Zelda BOTW and Assassin’s Creed. I felt restricted in movement day 1 but I still loved the game and very much enjoyed it when it got new high-fps blood with the PC version this year.
4/5 - Great!

Mithos

I have exactly the same issue and I can assure I don't chat during my sessions. Most of stuff I have to do I get it too much later, isn't it exactly intuitive especially again the machines. Many times I find me without enough ammo or with the right weapon for the fight.
The game tell you exact what to do, it even have in-game videos showing it and special training quests to teach you how to use the new weapons.
Now if you have not watched them or are doing these quest sure, it'll ofc take a random amount of time before you go, AHA that's how it works!

I'm one of those people though, that probably would spend double digit time on the "great plateau" in BoTW before leaving it.
So maybe the issue is with me?

Yeah, I’ve been playing it recently and it’s fine as long as I can stealth shit. As soon as I’m spotted combat turns into a fucking mess. The story is just ok so far. My favorite part is taking screenshots.

NahaNago

I honestly thought I would hate the game and ended up loving it. My biggest complaints were yeah the combat was a bit weak and I would have like more and better side quests. I did enjoy the sidequests but I would I have liked to have gotten to know those other characters a a bit more. Maybe for Horizon 3 they could make the world feel more alive with the npcs and animals doing more stuff, since I think horizon 2 will probably just be an update of horizon one but with more story content.

Last edited:

I personally hate the placement of the dodge and crouch buttons. Everytime a saw tooth charges me I press the crouch button instead of the dodge button. I’m like 10 hours in and my brain still says press that button.

valhalla17

Neo Member
For a first try from a studio that made somewhat uninspired shooters it was great. Especially story wise. ANd honestly using traps doesn't feel as good until you're maxed out which is more towards the end. It has similar issues to days gone. Days gone has good gameplay, it's just the meat of the game doesn't really kick in until closer to the third act, and it takes to long to get there.

On top of the story not being as well written as Horizon.
Feel like Killzone is the opposite of uninspired. Had a pretty decent story and art design was phenomenal. Multiplayer was lacking.

Top Bottom