• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I playing Horizon Dawn Zero and it's not aged well

assurdum

Banned
The game tell you exact what to do, it even have in-game videos showing it and special training quests to teach you how to use the new weapons.
Now if you have not watched them or are doing these quest sure, it'll ofc take a random amount of time before you go, AHA that's how it works!

I'm one of those people though, that probably would spend double digit time on the "great plateau" in BoTW before leaving it.
So maybe the issue is with me?
Listen it's the only game which I have had a such issue, now you can think it's just me because I don't give to the right the attention to the training but there are some mission where you can't know what kind of enemies you will fight, so I can train myself until the death but if I haven't the right weapon or ammo, I'm screwed so how can't be just a gamer fault such situation?

Last edited:
I tried it back after release, didn't like it... I hate openworld games, so when the map opened and I saw all the stupid quest and "secret" markers I dropped the controller, never to return.

Life

Story is all over the place - and somehow everyone in it is an idiot besides the protagonist. They're obsessed with worshiping idols and when you dig deeper and see how it all came about - it makes zero sense (the tribes and rich traditions) considering the short timeline.

Hal.

It came out around the same time as Breath of the Wild and Switch iirc.

It has always been ‘that other open world game with the bow’ to me, and the setting has always been shit.

They should have done an open world Killzone instead as that ironically has a deep and interesting lore.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Actually, it did age very well as it got a pc version so no more mediocre performance and mediocre "gun play" on dual stick controller.

Last edited:

sainraja

Listen dude, I haven't a calculator in my eye and you attack me in something really pretestuos. As I said enormous machine can go over you in less than a second but because they are machine for you it's normal they can do something like this. For me it s not, but now let's not take literally the measurement used in my word as a scientific parameters.
Don't spoil the story for me if it has to do with the story but if it is a machine it is designed to function a certain way. We have cars that range from slow to really fast and some can be big for their size. It's not a big leap to think that some of the machines in the game are designed to work that way using materials that would allow that functionality. It is a fictional world too so they have a little more flexibility in the designs.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

Loved the game. (platinumed)

I have also seen A LOT of youtubers play this game and most of them do the same mistake(s).

They scan the robots and correctly calls out the element its weak against, but...

1. They do not fill up the circle full when attacking so the elemental effect do NOT trigger.
2. They attack the wrong part of the robots (shooting fire elemental on a electrric elemental weak part, to make an example) making the attacks super weak.

You can drop these beasts with like 3 arrows each (at most), if you know what element and where to shoot.
I wonder how many people did the tutorial quests (the ones when you get a new weapon) and the challenges. The game basically explains its mechanics through those but it's not super obvious. In fact it took me a few hours to realize tutorial quests were a thing.

Last edited:

Brock2621

This may be shallow but I tried to start this as well after finishing God of War and the cut to black between cutscenes in combination with bad lip syncing just rubbed me wrong. I dunno why it bothered me so much but it did.

sainraja

Listen it's the only game which I have had a such issue, now you can think it's just me because I don't give to the right the attention to the training but there are some mission where you can't know what kind of enemies you will fight, so I can train myself until the death but if I haven't the right weapon or ammo, I'm screwed so how can't be just a gamer fault such situation?
Part of the fun can be to figure out how to take down an enemy yourself based on the things you've learned.

It's the AAA game cycle:

Day 1: "BEST GAME OF ALL TIME"

Year 1: "90 Awards"

Year 2: *Forgets game even exists*

Year 3: "Remember that game? It kind of sucked"

Yeah. Except Horizon was a fucking mediocre piece of shit from day 1 that stole pretty much every single action in its gameplay from ubisoft and others. But, surprising nobody, the sony exclusive got showered in praise. We dunk on ubisoft, but when an exclusive copies ubisoft 1:1 we pretend that its an amazing game and absolutely awesome.

We have to pretend we like the exclusive. They are few and far between and they're the only ammo in the holy console wars. If we say how the games actually are, shit, we lose precious console wars ammo. So we forge ahead with banal shit like Tsushima or Horizon and pretend they're masterpieces and we can say how poor the competitors consoles are becase they lack such masterpieces

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I had much more fun when I stacked the hell out of the Tearblast damage mods, it so fun to make all the panels fly off and then hit them in the weakpoint with the appropriate element arrow/projectile.

I'm guessing the OP is firing normal arrows trying to hit their eyes/head all the time and getting frustrated maybe, it feels like they are damage sponges if you do that, you CAN just spam bombs on anything really, but you need to fight them in the correct way if you want to have variety in the gameplay.

mortal

Gold Member
I would agree to an extent.

HZD is a gorgeous looking game with some wonderful art direction.
That being said, man did I find the open world lacking. It felt hollow with not much else to do in between killing robo dinos and talking to NPC for fetch quests.

The level of interactivity was also disappointing, you even clip through water when crossing streams.

It's a mediocre open world game that's only celebrated because of the female protagonist and is your typical Sony 3rd person open world. The only games more generic are Ubi open worlds.

Life

I don't understand how this game "hasn't aged well"? That term is used for older games that incorporated mechanics that seemed OK at the time - but are now deemed futile/impractical/not fun. So er...most games are still kinda the same?

Fox Mulder

Aging poorly to me is like every n64 game. This was amazing and I’m excited for the sequel. The game did have issues with inventory management for crafting, and had Uncharted climbing only where it wanted you to be.

the combat is fast and deep, but most people probably run the whole game shooting even the biggest enemies with 1000 arrows. There’s a variety of effective weapons, traps, and upgrades you can use. The hunting ground missions are optional side content they show off these abilities, but even I didn’t get around to all until 90 hours in when I was wrapping up the platinum trophy.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Personal opinion of course but I can't avoid to say I'm not particularly impressed by the game. I'm not saying it's bad but some flaws are literally annoying. Now I avoided the game at the launch because honestly doesn't appear particularly interesting but actually is available on PSN with a good price so I give a try.
Graphically is surely beautiful though not perfect as expected and CBR starts to show it's limitations in the thin geometry. Game is particularly aliased in such situations but fortunately thin geometry are a rarity in Horizon (not in Death Stranding and IQ is atrocious in the cities but it's OT). Another big issue it's the static grass, see the character walk through it as it was transparent is more annoying than I reminded. Unbelievable they never fixed it via patch (though on pc they did it but eh). Otherwise characters are surely phenomenal, very detailed and a league ahead to RDR2 or most of the others open world in the market. Sure it suffers of popup but shitty jaguar CPU so cant really blame Guerrilla for that.

Talking about the gameplay it's now I starts to notice some issue. My biggest problem is the combat system. It's incredibly simplistic and dull, doesn't give back the right feeling when you hit something and it's quite unsatisfying as a bit chaotic, the only way to avoid an enemies attack is roll and that's all. The enemies are incredibly agile, too much honestly, I understood they are machine but see a crocodile jump as a jaguar it's ridiculous. I mean, bigger enemies are more powerful sure, but at least they should be slower but nope even a cat in comparison seems a sloth.
Said that, I hope the sequel is more refined and it's not a bad game after all but honestly I expected a bit more hearing the general consensus.
Y'all need to start voting with your wallets for games that feature more in-depth game design, rather than pretty graphics.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Horizon is 1 of my favorites games of all time but it has flaaws for sure and some you´ve mentioned.

- Grass System not Fully Dynamic
- Stealh not as good as the rest of the pack, gameplay wise
- CQC is kinda of mesh button fest

i think most flaws are gonna be adressed on the sequel which should be even better but HZD is a very good game, DLC fixed the facial expressions too.

drotahorror

ITT: People who never bought or utilized this upgrade:
sVfTjg5.jpg

If you're not jumping around, sliding etc while in combat with INFINITE bullet time, you're doing something wrong. This elevated the fun factor for me immensely. How can you not like bullet time?

Other than that, my first playthrough on PS4 at release, was pretty solid. No it wasn't one of my favorite game, but the story was interesting and kept me playing along with the dinosaur designs/encounters. FWIW, I rarely used traps or melee or stealth. The side quests are what almost made me stop playing initially. But instead of forcing myself to do mundane shit (why would I?) I went back to the story and had a good time.

Never forced yourself to keep playing something you're not having fun. Or if you like the game but your fun/interest is waning, try something else in the game or go about doing things differently.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Yeah. Except Horizon was a fucking mediocre piece of shit from day 1 that stole pretty much every single action in its gameplay from ubisoft and others. But, surprising nobody, the sony exclusive got showered in praise. We dunk on ubisoft, but when an exclusive copies ubisoft 1:1 we pretend that its an amazing game and absolutely awesome.

We have to pretend we like the exclusive. They are few and far between and they're the only ammo in the holy console wars. If we say how the games actually are, shit, we lose precious console wars ammo. So we forge ahead with banal shit like Tsushima or Horizon and pretend they're masterpieces and we can say how poor the competitors consoles are becase they lack such masterpieces

Those game won several awards including Players Vote Award (Both of Them) with tens of millions of votes count. They´re shit to you but great games to the Vast majority of people.

You´re opinion is just that, well... your opinion.

K' Dash

It didn't age well on launch day, also, launching close to BOTW still makes me laugh to this day when people make threads about it.

Cool idea and decent combat though.

OnionSnake

Banned
I've been playing it again on PC and while I still like the game the same problems from the original exist. Robots are more agile than Aloy, like OP said, battles can get overly chaotic so much so that you've kind of gotten lost in what's going on, and the human combat is just so bland. I really hope for the sequel Aloy is given more movement options, maybe the ability to climb on top of more robots than just a handful. We don't even have to be able to control them directly but being able to climb on them ala MonHun or SOTC would be helpful. Based on the preview though it seems to be going for more seabased combat? Worrying...

Velius

Banned
HzD was never really good, it has a honey moon period like most Sony funded games, after the initial shine, the boredom sets in, you intend to pick it up again when the dlc launches, but you never do.

If you do end up playing it for a long time, you are subconsciously mired in regret and shame.

The quintessential Sony™ experience.

lol I'm half serious
Oh come on don't be like that. Games like Bloodborne, GoW and P5 are some of the beefiest, best games to come out in a very long time.

Fbh

I really enjoyed the game. I'm not sure how it has aged badly when it pretty much uses the exact same formula as the vast majority of current open worlds (aka the Ubisoft formula). It's not like the genre got some massive boost in quality in recent years that makes horizon seem bad in comparison. The only ambitious AAA open world games since then have been Red Dead 2 which is the usual highly detailed Rockstar open world with dogshit gameplay (with everything being extra slow and time consuming this time around because realism), and Cyberpunk which so far is only decent on high end PC's (and maybe Series X) and wasn't as revolutionary as people expected

Horizon wasn't some amazing game, but it was basically a Ubisoft open world, except with better visuals, better story and better combat. Which sadly still makes it one of the better open world games this gen.

Last edited:

Mithos

True, if you do not have the weapon (with the correct element), exploiting the weakness is not possible, this is however not unique or exclusive to HDZ.

Last edited:

OnionSnake

Banned
I really enjoyed the game. I'm not sure how it has aged badly when it pretty much uses the exact same formula as the vast majority of current open worlds (aka the Ubisoft formula). It's not like the genre got some massive boost in quality in recent years that makes horizon seem bad in comparison. The only ambitious AAA open world games since then have been Red Dead 2 which is the usual highly detailed Rockstar open world with dogshit gameplay (with everything being extra slow and time consuming this time around because realism), and Cyberpunk which so far is only decent on high end PC's (and maybe Series X) and wasn't as revolutionary as people expected

Horizon wasn't some amazing game, but it was basically a Ubisoft open world, except with better visuals, better story and better combat. Which sadly still makes it one of the better open world games this gen.
What really shook it's image was coming out near BOTW, imo. I played BOTW and then HZD shortly after and HZD's world felt much more... static than BOTWs dynamic systems. So I agree it's not so much that it aged poorly that it was seemingly dated even at launch.

I was surprised this game was even considered in NeoGAF's "Game of the Generation". The game was alright, but in the same league as some of the games there? Not a chance in hell.
In fact, any game by Sony that's not Bloodborne and The Last Guardian shouldn't have made it. Fuck Sony's Western studios.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I played it because it was gifted to me a few years back. Nice graphics (one of the first ones I played with HDR), loved the story.

Crafting was too shallow and the only fun combat was against the robots. I think it would be better without the RPG elements unless they go a bit deeper.

Inventory stuff was kind of annoying. It could have been more clear regarding the advanced mechanics like the weaknesses to the elements.

I am with you, OP

I tried going back to it on PS5 and I don't know if it's a problem with my display or what but I felt the game looked worse than I remembered, and when I tried to pick up where my old save had left off, I just didn't feel interested in continuing to play it.

I wonder if it will get a full PS5 upgrade, I would try it again if it did

GermanZepp

- Not well balanced difficulty
- Boring open world
- too much filler in the primary story
- intro that is cliche as hell

This game is just ok, but it's from Sony, so it's great
And with all those flaws its better thant everything that Microsoft has in the xbox since 2015.

Vick

Pshhhht. Someone might hear you!
Dude get out of here, Sony games are constantly shitted on this Forum left and right everyday. You have to be pretty damn blind in order to not see that even blantant lies are always made up just in order to do so.

Claiming you like Sony games without being called a fanboy, now that's a challenge.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nope. Tried three times to get into it, but found the characters stilted and robotic, and the story dull. Looks lovely, but just got so bored with the earth mother, dances with robot wolves stuff.

Top Bottom