• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I playing Horizon Dawn Zero and it's not aged well

Yea definitely one of the most overrated open world games ever.

Great bow combat.

Everything else sucked tho. Movement sucked. Platforming sections were some uncharted and tomb raider esque highlighted ledges on rails nonsense.
Not true, you can climb a lot of terrain kinda like in Skyrim, you may hit some invisible walls, but there's quite a lot that is climbable that is not the laid path. Play the game next time.
Gameplay felt last gen when it dropped. Especially with games like Witcher, AssCreed and Zelda around.
lol, you lost me at "Witcher 3" a game about a hunter where the combat (the hunting) is the worst aspect of it all. And the traversal and climbing in the Witcher is absolute crap. Again, try playing the games for yourself next time.
Sony bias in full effect with it. It’s a solid 7 at best

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
tenor.gif

Games all age poorly. Some age faster than others.

None age "like a fine wine".

Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Half Life would all be considered trash if they released today. Nostalgia is a hellofadrug.

EcstaticFriendlyGalapagosmockingbird-small.gif

tetris%2Bspectrum%2Bholobyte.png

Bragr

Banned
Had a similar experience, the facial animations are not that great and a lot of the story beats are a lot cornier and more wooden than I remember. The tribes and the lore is also a lot more flat than I remember.

I like the combat though, it's aged a bit but I like how agile the machines are, the fights would be a lot duller without the speed. I do hope they do a proper overhaul of the systems in the sequel however, it needs it. I was always surprised at how the devs managed to make Horizon coming from Killzone, since that was always a bit wonky, I do fear they will struggle to advance the game moving forward.

MarlboroRed

I gave this a whirl in order to see how my new GPU performs in it. It's definitely still a stunning game, even compared to more recent titles such as AC: Valhalla.

I didn't like her round face, either. Thankfully on PC there is a face overhaul mod which makes Aloy look a lot more feminine.

I'm not that far in, so I can't judge the story yet.

scalman

its still one of best looking games out there in those mecha robots style details in open world sharing and such... such good looking game, not even talking about pc version just ps4 pro. it looks better then most pc open world games still.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The model is super attractive. They definitely hit the character with the ugly stick though. But why?
Probably because grooming standards aren't the same in a post-apoc world?

Trim Aloy's brows a bit and do the hair differently, change to slender clothing and that would make a world of difference in look.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Arguably the game that ages best.

Still aging though.

Remove Tetris from the timeline and insert it in today, it wouldn't make nearly the splash it did back in 1984.

And for every Tetris (game that ages relatively well), I can rattle off dozens of games that have aged horrendously.

Sejan

To me, this game released so close to Breath of the Wild that it almost immediately felt dated. I loved Horizon at first, but as soon as I experienced the expansive, exploration based gameplay of BoTW HZD just felt like it came from an earlier way of thinking. Suddenly, being unable to get over a knee high ledge because of some invisible wall just felt old. On February 28 I was totally immersed in HZD, but after March 3 it felt like a slog.

This problem was made worse by the fact that there were a number of similarities between the games at the time. Both worlds starred a hero exploring the ruins of a destroyed world. Each had a bow wielding hero fighting through the world using specialty arrows and a skill that slows down time while aiming in the air. Both games were being touted as the next great open world. Yes, the games had even more drastic differences, but with them releasing just a week apart it demanded a direct comparison. Unfortunately, HZD lost the head to head battle, in my opinion.

In my mind, HZD was the last, great hurrah of an older style of open world. It competently checked all the right boxes of the genre. Just days later, however, BotW completely changed what I want in an open world.

mhirano

Yeah. Except Horizon was a fucking mediocre piece of shit from day 1 that stole pretty much every single action in its gameplay from ubisoft and others. But, surprising nobody, the sony exclusive got showered in praise. We dunk on ubisoft, but when an exclusive copies ubisoft 1:1 we pretend that its an amazing game and absolutely awesome.

We have to pretend we like the exclusive. They are few and far between and they're the only ammo in the holy console wars. If we say how the games actually are, shit, we lose precious console wars ammo. So we forge ahead with banal shit like Tsushima or Horizon and pretend they're masterpieces and we can say how poor the competitors consoles are becase they lack such masterpieces
Wash your mouth before dissing the masterpiece called Ghost of Tsushima!
Beside that part, I agree with you though

mortal

Gold Member
I skipped the game because of how ugly they made the lead. I don't know what kind of statement they were trying to make by going the ugly route but I didn't want to support it.

32063498903_2b0f229a9f_o.png
The model is super attractive. They definitely hit the character with the ugly stick though. But why?
I don't believe there was some ulterior motive here haha. You probably just don't like it, which is understandable.
I'd say the face of her character model does look a bit weird.

The character model for Aloy in Forbidden West looks considerably better modeled imo. The details & subtleties go a long way.
GUJFwpQ.png

Aloy.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
To me, this game released so close to Breath of the Wild that it almost immediately felt dated. I loved Horizon at first, but as soon as I experienced the expansive, exploration based gameplay of BoTW HZD just felt like it came from an earlier way of thinking. Suddenly, being unable to get over a knee high ledge because of some invisible wall just felt old. On February 28 I was totally immersed in HZD, but after March 3 it felt like a slog.

This problem was made worse by the fact that there were a number of similarities between the games at the time. Both worlds starred a hero exploring the ruins of a destroyed world. Each had a bow wielding hero fighting through the world using specialty arrows and a skill that slows down time while aiming in the air. Both games were being touted as the next great open world. Yes, the games had even more drastic differences, but with them releasing just a week apart it demanded a direct comparison. Unfortunately, HZD lost the head to head battle, in my opinion.

In my mind, HZD was the last, great hurrah of an older style of open world. It competently checked all the right boxes of the genre. Just days later, however, BotW completely changed what I want in an open world.

I'm praying to God Guerilla Games makes a sequel to Breath of the Wild as opposed to Zero Dawn. That template is sooooo much better, and I kinda liked ZD.

I really enjoyed the game. I felt the world and characters were great. I also loved the enemies, kinda hard not to love taking down robo-dinos. I love games that give me worlds I want to spend more time in, and I felt that way with HZD. I do agree somewhat with the criticisms of the gameplay though. The mechanics didn't feel the best, and the game ended up far too easy by the end. I think with the general quality of Guerilla games the sequel will likely fix most of these problems. Still, as a brand new IP it is really hard to criticize HZD very much.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Remove Tetris from the timeline and insert it in today, it wouldn't make nearly the splash it did back in 1984.
If that means it would kill of all clones that came with it I'd take the bet and say it would still make a huge splash especially on mobile/casual platforms.

base

Banned
Well, for me the game was pretty awesome. I wanted to know more what happened to the human race.

Angelcurio

I made the huge mistake of playing this right after playing Breath of the wild and god dammit, this game needed a climbing system cause it feels so limited.
Having the same ish world of zelda, the game feels very restrictive in it's movement and exploration options.
I posted almost the same problems as you in another thread. I made the same mistake as you, and trying to climb on this game after playing Breath of the Wild felt incredible frustrating. As i also said in another thread, having to rely on shiny platforms is incredibly outdated, as if I was playing Uncharted on PS3.

I am playing Genshin Impact right now, and it has the same climbing mechanism as Zelda BotW, and it's awsome, so I hope that for the sequel they should definitely copy it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If that means it would kill of all clones that came with it I'd take the bet and say it would still make a huge splash especially on mobile/casual platforms.

The puzzle game genre would have showed up 6-24 months later regardless...which would have produced a bunch of clones in itself.

Tetris is a great game, but it doesn't disprove that all games age, most of which age horribly.

I shudder when people say "A good game is a good game forever". Goldeneye is dog shit.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I played this for the first time earlier this year. I thought the monster encounters were good. The story was fine. I think the shortcoming for me was too many things on the map. I lost interest after the first main area and began to mainline the game.

Sejan

I'm praying to God Guerilla Games makes a sequel to Breath of the Wild as opposed to Zero Dawn. That template is sooooo much better, and I kinda liked ZD.
Guerrilla just didn’t have their finger on the pulse of the future of gaming when they developed HZD. Assassins creed origins, for instance, made a number of really good changes to its open world formula in the same year. I don’t know if they were inspired by BotW or not, but it seems that open worlds were absolutely pushing toward more explorative worlds at the time regardless. Even Dying Light in 2015 seemed to understand where open world gaming was going with exploration. Unfortunately, HZD just didn’t understand and they released a game with a open world system that felt dated in many ways at or near launch. Hopefully, they are looking to the future of gaming a little more with HZD2 this time around. They don’t have to rip off zelda’s feature set, but they do need to figure out something special for their sequel or it’ll fall by the wayside of mediocrity.

Lanrutcon

Played it a lot on the PS4, but only finished it when it hit PC.

It was pretty amazing for me. I think it was a bit shallow and needed an RPG backend, but I liked it a lot.

I'm a sucker for "so far into the future it feels like the past" games. For the sequel they need to double up on that shit.

SkylineRKR

I have to agree, maybe if they would Days Gone it for the PS5. But a Days Gone feels much better to replay at this point.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I shudder when people say "A good game is a good game forever". Goldeneye is dog shit.
GoldenEye is fantastic considering you playing it on PC with decent FPS and mouse controls.

The puzzle game genre would have showed up 6-24 months later regardless...which would have produced a bunch of clones in itself.
Possibly, but perhaps it would be different and instead of Tetris and alike Columns or whatever would have become the super success. I don't get that you can't appreciate video game history. Games age, like any medium in some capacity. Mechanics and standards change. You can't expect a game that was developed to capture a completely different zeitgeist to make it in the current era, because got people got used to modern mechanics and graphics and modern pop culture as well(On the other hand the retro business is healthy and bigger than ever.). When society changes, so does their art.
But all that doesn't mean you can't go back to the oldies and still enjoy them for what they are worth. Knowing the peers isn't exactly something that should be looked down upon.

Mojoraisin

So many “only because it’s Sony” shit takes in this thread. I don’t give a shit about developers/brand but loved the game.

A few things are broken. Biggest one - they should have just cut out all fights against human camps. It’s terribly bad but luckily a small part of the game. Secondly, first 5 hours are a snooze fest like RDR2.

BUT - Fighting bigger robots in this game is undoubtedly some of the greatest and most intense gaming moments I had the last decade. Story is rather good. I think I was pretty annoyed with some decisions made by Aloy but whatever. Comparing this to some of the ubi trash that gets puts out lately is, as already stated previously in the thread, unfair. Graphics are still great and AI better than 90% open world games. If you exclude humans.

Don’t think it was an empty world either. It’s been taken over by mechanical dinosaurs. Your koalas are dead. If there were more robots this game would feel like final fantasy random encounters. No thanks.

Another thing I liked. In the beginning you will have to be really sneaky and avoid fights. Gradually you build strength and finally able to challenge some of the bad boys. No AI levelling with player bullshit IIRC
Looking forward to the sequel.

Last edited:
I liked the grand scale fast action combat with loads of varied robo monsters, I feel like this is still unmatched by other games.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i liked the game. then 1 week later BOTW came out. That game fucked over every other open world game.
Tried zero dawn again but gave up instantly.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GoldenEye is fantastic considering you playing it on PC with decent FPS and mouse controls.

Possibly, but perhaps it would be different and instead of Tetris and alike Columns or whatever would have become the super success. I don't get that you can't appreciate video game history. Games age, like any medium in some capacity. Mechanics and standards change. You can't expect a game that was developed to capture a completely different zeitgeist to make it in the current era, because got people got used to modern mechanics and graphics and modern pop culture as well(On the other hand the retro business is healthy and bigger than ever.). When society changes, so does their art.
But all that doesn't mean you can't go back to the oldies and still enjoy them for what they are worth. Knowing the peers isn't exactly something that should be looked down upon.

If Goldeneye released on the PC today, leadership at it's piblisher would be lined up in the streets and shot as an example to the rest of the world...and no one would complain.

It would literally be the lynchpin that unites liberals and conservatives and would usher in the next epoch of economic prosperity that made the 1990s look like the 1930s. I'm not being sarcastic.

Sadly, no one is brave enough to do such a thing.
As for your Tetris comment, I think I'm not representing my position properly. It's not that I don't appreciate the game. I do. And it obviously impacted the industry in a major way. I'm also not saying you can't enjoy old games.

I'm saying all games age. Modern games are objectively better, on average.

Sejan

So many “only because it’s Sony” shit takes in this thread. I don’t give a shit about developers but loved the game.

A few things are broken. Biggest one - they should have just cut out all fights against human camps. It’s terribly bad but luckily a small part of the game. Secondly, first 5 hours are a snooze fest like RDR2.

BUT - Fighting bigger robots in this game is undoubtedly some of the greatest and most intense gaming moments I had the last decade. Story is rather good. I think I was pretty annoyed with some decisions made by Aloy but whatever. Comparing this to some of the ubi trash that gets puts out lately is, as already stated previously in the thread, unfair. Graphics are still great and AI better than 90% open world games. If you exclude humans.

Don’t think it was an empty world either. It’s been taken over by mechanical dinosaurs. Your koalas are dead. If there were more robots this game would feel like final fantasy random encounters. No thanks.

Another thing I liked. In the beginning you will have to be really sneaky and avoid fights. Gradually you build strength and finally able to challenge some of the bad boys. No AI levelling with player bullshit IIRC
Looking forward to the sequel.
I actually felt like the biggest robot fights were a bit of a let down in the experience as a whole. I felt like they were a bit spongy and the combat system didn't quite fit the fights that they presented. Maybe I did something wrong back then, but I was very much remember being disappointed with many of the larger robot fights. In general, I felt that the combat as a whole was one of the weakest points in the game. The combat easily beat the dated open world systems and the horrible inventory system with tons of boxes of junk to go through, however.

Shmunter

Wasn't a huge fan, the plot and characters were mundane and without edge.

Hope they write better in the sequel. Would however play the frozen dlc if the misers gave us 60fps on PS5, otherwise not compelled.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If Goldeneye released on the PC today, leadership at it's piblisher would be lined up in the streets and shot as an example to the rest of the world...and no one would complain.
Meanwhile there are ton modern throwbacks of shooters of the same time period. Take Dusk for example, which was universally praised, all while looking and playing like a game from 1998. So no, I doubt GoldenEye would get shit on today, especially if this hypothetical modern release had modern day FPS, graphics and production values etc.
I guess it depends on how you look at games. Aging is natural, I don't see as a bad thing. You age too and 20 year old you was probably objectively better too, doesn't mean that 80 year old you is a bunch of trash. And video games are obviously different and as a form of media and form of art are damned to be analyzed till the end, but come on, it almost sounds like you are an ass for enjoying Mario 64 (still one of the best 3D platformers) or old school Resident Evil/Silent Hill (still some of the best horror survival games), because L0ok At THE NEW gaMES.

As someone that OWNS the following.

Tomb Raider Anniversary, Tomb Raider Legends, Tomb Raider Underworld (Steam)
Tomb Raider Anniversary, Tomb Raider Legends, Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3 Trilogy Collection)
Tomb Raider Underworld (PS3)
Tomb Raider Anniversary, Tomb Raider Underworld (Wii)
-
Tomb Raider (2013) (Steam)
Tomb Raider (2013), Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

IMHO, Horizon Zero Dawn is better then Rise of the Tomb Raider.
Why do you own 4 copies of TR underworld and 3 of Anniversary on 3 different platforms but no Shadow of the tomb raider?
I can understand double dipping to pc from PS3/4 as I have done this a lot for better graphics and for cross play. Also do it for switch the portable appeal (would love some TR switch ports),
but why wii? was there some sort of waggle controls to make her shake it?

You may be right about rise, i haven't played it yet (own them all). I frankly don't think they are comparable. TR is way more vertical and sectioned off, rather than open world expanse.

Sejan

I'd have to disagree with this statement. The age of a game matters little to its overall quality. There were terrible games in the 70s-90s just as there are terrible games today. The problem, in my opinion, is how a game takes advantage of its platform. Games like Tetris and Super Mario Bros 3 are nearly perfect in their design in part because they were built around the strengths of the system for which they were initially designed. The problem of aging arises when games try to push a platform to do things that it does poorly. There were a great number of PS1-PS3 games that pushed hard for photorealistic graphics that were praised at their time, but look like garbage today. However, games like Wind Waker that was built with the strengths of the Gamecube in mind still looks great today--even if its a bit jaggy on occasion.

Golden Eye looks bad and runs terribly on the N64, but it was revolutionary for many people in its day. It, however, has aged poorly because of those problems. Paper Mario, on the other hand, still looks and plays great.

In my opinion, whether a game ages well or not boils down entirely to its game and visual design rather than the year it was released.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
It's the AAA game cycle:

Day 1: "BEST GAME OF ALL TIME"

Year 1: "90 Awards"

Year 2: *Forgets game even exists*

Year 3: "Remember that game? It kind of sucked"

And you forgot the reverse AAA cycle too:

Day 1 : WORST GAME EVER
Year 1 : 0 awards
Year 2 : forgets game even exists
Year 3 : remember that game? It was awesome!

White-fire

Just my 2 cents, but I couldn’t disagree more. I’ve put about 45 hours into Horizon, (38 of which and come this week). I agreed with the OP when I first picked up this game about 5 months ago, but I decided to give it a go on PS5 and fell in love. I haven’t played so much of a game in so little time. It’s the first RPG/open world game I’ve thoroughly enjoyed since RDR2, and the story and gameplay are top notch in my opinion. I don’t know why or how but somehow the game clicked for me after giving it a second chance. I’ll be going for the platinum soon as well, hopefully the second game can really knock it out of the park and pull an “Uncharted 2” moment and really improve on its strengths and supplement its weaknesses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom