• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I quit using tobacco a week ago

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Just take it day-by-day (hour by hour some times) and you'll soon find yourself not thinking about cigarettes on occasion.

I'm 11½ years off them. To me, that's a miracle. The previous best I ever did was 6 days! Good luck, it's well worth giving up 🙂

J-Roderton

Just take it day-by-day (hour by hour some times) and you'll soon find yourself not thinking about cigarettes on occasion.

I'm 11½ years off them. To me, that's a miracle. The previous best I ever did was 6 days! Good luck, it's well worth giving up 🙂

Thanks, bro. Dip here. Grizzly. Chewing tobacco. Nicotine, man...

Uhtred

My man, I quit after 25 years of chain smoking. It was the hardest thing i ever did.
The urges never go away, That was two years ago, and I never picked it up again. The first 12 months were not easy. I quit cold turkey, no nicotine gum or anything like that. I used alcohol, when I got the shakes, and sometimes THC/CBD tincture.

I did this to help get me off since I was going cold turkey, and it helped. But man, if I could go back to smoking right now with no consequences, i would in a heart beat,. i loved it more than anything.

I stopped because I was developing COPD, and had a few fits of not being able to breath during moments of stasis, such as just lying down in bed, I would have an attack of not getting enough air in my lungs, and I would panic.

I was disappointed that after quitting, I didn't feel amazing 3 months later. In fact the only benefit I feel two years later, is that I sleep much better, and I don't have tremors at night were I wake up gasping for air.

Last edited:

God Enel

My man, I quit after 25 years of chain smoking. It was the hardest thing i ever did.
The urges never go away, That was two years ago, and I never picked it up again. The first 12 months were not easy. I quit cold turkey, no nicotine gum or anything like that. I used alcohol, when I got the shakes, and sometimes THC/CBD tincture.

I did this to help get me off since I was going cold turkey, and it helped. But man, if I could go back to smoking right now with no consequences, i would in a heart beat,. i loved it more than anything.

I stopped because I was developing COPD, and had a few fits of not being able to breath during moments of stasis, such as just lying down in bed, I would have an attack of not getting enough air in my lungs, and I would panic.

I was disappointed that after quitting, I didn't feel amazing 3 months later. In fact the only benefit I feel two years later, is that I sleep much better, and I don't have tremors at night were I wake up gasping for air.

Dude it’s great that you quit. My father had copd and it was a fucking nightmare to see him like that. My parents are living on the 2nd floor and it took him half an hour to get up there. In the end he died in the hospital after the operation .. not sure what the English word is.. lung reduction or so? They cut a part of his lung off, so that the “healthy” part has more room to breathe. At leas that’s more or less how they explained it to me. After surgery he was in coma for a month and when he woke up you clearly could see in his eyes that he wasn’t going to make it. And he knew it.

So I’m really happy that you quit. Stay strong.

And op I wish you the best of luck. You have to stay strong. Especially when you have family. Do it for your loved ones ❤️

J-Roderton

I have no health problems from it, that I know of. It was just time to kick the habit and save some money. It's obviously not good for me. Anyone else that have quit, please feel free to share your story.

Hell, I've been dipping for 10+ years. Crazy that I'm getting off it.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I stopped smoking cigarettes like 5 or 6 years ago now, I stopped counting. I switched to vaping though, I feel better about it but I know I should still give it up. I just like nicotine too much.

Raven117

Thanks, bro. Dip here. Grizzly. Chewing tobacco. Nicotine, man...
I quit Copenhagen about 4 1/2 years ago. I dipped for...shoot...I dunno 15 years or so? You are going through one of the toughest 48 hours. (I always had a relapse about a week in). All the nicotine has left your body and now its all mental...but the mental game is tough and "quitting" (which is a process, not just a one and done thing) is getting a little boring. Stay the course these two weeks....you will live through it, but damn it wont be fun. Killthecan.org has some decent discussion on what its like quitting in 90 days and what you go through. I can say that at 90 days, you are pretty much home free so long as you know in your heart of hearts that you can never have a dip again.

Know this....Your mind is going to start playing tricks on you. Its going to try and get you to rationalize having a dip, just a small one, just to take the edge off. Knowing that this was simply my mind messing with me, I was able to push through. Sadly, you can't ever have a dip again. Thats just the way of it. Im able to have a smoke every few months and not want one again for months more, but dip, never. (besides, Id puke for 24 hours if I did anyway).

You have to do things to break up your routine if you had one where you threw one in. (For me, it was driving around town at 10pm listening to music with a big almost half a can dip in...it was damn therapeutic). You have to find something else to fill that time. Also, I used the herbal dip for awhile for times where I just needed that motion and cadence of "dipping." I got the stuff that burned like a mothereffer and just grinded it into my lip....That helped as well. Sunflower seeds after that. Then...well I can drive to and from a place and not even think about it anymore. Everyone once in awhile it will cross my mind, but more nostalgic than actually wanting one.

You can do it!

Feel free to PM me if you need to vent.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I quit Copenhagen about 4 1/2 years ago. I dipped for...shoot...I dunno 15 years or so? You are going through one of the toughest 48 hours. (I always had a relapse about a week in). All the nicotine has left your body and now its all mental...but the mental game is tough and "quitting" (which is a process, not just a one and done thing) is getting a little boring. Stay the course these two weeks....you will live through it, but damn it wont be fun. Killthecan.org has some decent discussion on what its like quitting in 90 days and what you go through. I can say that at 90 days, you are pretty much home free so long as you know in your heart of hearts that you can never have a dip again.

Know this....Your mind is going to start playing tricks on you. Its going to try and get you to rationalize having a dip, just a small one, just to take the edge off. Knowing that this was simply my mind messing with me, I was able to push through. Sadly, you can't ever have a dip again. Thats just the way of it. Im able to have a smoke every few months and not want one again for months more, but dip, never. (besides, Id puke for 24 hours if I did anyway).

You have to do things to break up your routine if you had one where you threw one in. (For me, it was driving around town at 10pm listening to music...it was damn therapeutic). You have to find something else to fill that time. Also, I used the herbal dip for awhile for times where I just needed that motion and cadence of "dipping." I got the stuff that burned like a mothereffer and just grinded it into my lip....That helped as well. Sunflower seeds after that. Then...well I can drive to and from a place and not even think about it anymore. Everyone once in awhile it will cross my mind, but more nostalgic than actually wanting one.

You can do it!

Feel free to PM me if you need to vent.

You rock. :messenger_fistbump:

Almost 2 years for me.

The first 21 days is the hardest. After that it became a pride thing with me. I wanted to see how long I could keep going. I've had a few smokes here and there mostly when I'm drinking. The taste of paper just repulses me and i usually toss one after a couple of puffs. It feels fucking good.

You can do it too!! You just got to want it. Believe in yourself. If you want it, you will achieve it.

Tesseract

Banned
Do you also use a sensory deprivation tank?

sensory overload is the high life i seek

tenor.gif

Last edited:

mekes

Congrats J-Roderton J-Roderton

It will only get easier. Doing one week will really test your patience and you’ve conquered that. I think I read that the withdrawal time from nicotine is different than the withdrawal time for actual tobacco. This next upcoming week shouldn’t really be as bad as the first, and after that you’ll feel much more in control rather than fighting against every urge.

Stick with it!

Michele

you.
I have never ever smoked at all. Smoking is really disgusting, actually. I had a teacher who smoked, at least it was not inside school. And I am a little sensitive to peoples smoking. When I see someone smoking, I get the urge to tell them to stop smoking, but every time I do so, my mom gets a little angry at me and says it's not my business.

There is a thing called passive smoking, as in you may get damaged if you breath smoke.

Kadayi

Banned
How long does it take? Months. How will you last? One day at a time. Why are you going to carry on? Because you're a gamer, and gamers play to win. Set yourself up some reward targets for sticking with it. Put the cash you would have spent on cigarettes into a jar or a savings account for instance and buy yourself some new clothes etc with it as you go along. Tangible assets are good.

My advice, avoid any smokers for a good few months. Very few people who smoke want to, so when someone quits it kind of nags at them a bit for not doing the same, so they can have a tendency to try and lure you back 'one won't do you any harm' to reassure themselves that giving up in a mug's game. Also, avoid booze for a good while. Alcohol just weakens your will.

Swap out the gum for just chewing gum after a while. Also, try getting into the habit of drinking a small glass of water whenever you feel the urge to smoke. You need to reprogram your brains associations, plus the extra hydration will help with the withdrawal symptoms.

ROMhack

Do you go to the gym? I found the best thing was to replace the urge to smoke with an urge to run (or just do general cardio).

It was the only way to make new associations. After a while I started seeing smoking as prohibitive to bettering my running times. It helped a lot.

Last edited:

neobiz

How long until the damn urges wear off?? I've been chewing gum and popping Zyn pouches for a week now. Seven days. Granted this is the longest I've ever gone without a dip in years, I think I can do it.

Dip is a SOB. I've ping ponged between cigs and cope a couple of times now. Way easier to stop smoking a pack vs a can

You can do it! Keep working hard and finish strong!

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Good for you! Well done and keep at it. When my dad quit the list of the changes your body goes through were really positive reinforcement. Good goals.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Congrats! Stay off 'em. I quit several years ago.

Look up 'Wim Hof breathing method' on YouTube and start doing the exercises. Time to repair your lungs. Once that's done (you'll know), your cravings will be gone, I promise. People can smoke around me in the car and I don't get even a twinge.

Gargus

Banned
Anyone know how long it takes for nicotine to not show up on a blood test?

We have a new management owner and with that new insurance company. I checked non smoker and they want a blood test of everyone who claims to be a non smoker. I only quit like a week ago and have 2 weeks to get the test.

Your wallet and your body will thank you! You can do it, I have heard sucking on cinnamon sticks can help with that specific habit recovery.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How long until the damn urges wear off?? I've been chewing gum and popping Zyn pouches for a week now. Seven days. Granted this is the longest I've ever gone without a dip in years, I think I can do it.
Change your avatar. Might help.

TacosNSalsa

I quit about 6 years ago and it took me about a month to consider myself out of the woods. It was still there and I still had to fight it but it was bearable . As an earlier post said , the urge never truly left me . Every once and while , normally after a good meal or while drinking , I get a strong urge for a cigarette but it certainly is tolerable ...also a pack of Newports here is damn near $13 so that sure helps as well..Keep it up ! It was one of the best things I did for my wallet , my health , my teeth , my clothes

trite

Neo Member
I have no health problems from it, that I know of. It was just time to kick the habit and save some money. It's obviously not good for me. Anyone else that have quit, please feel free to share your story.

Hell, I've been dipping for 10+ years. Crazy that I'm getting off it.
I’m currently using dip and my god, I could pay for a second apartment if I stopped, I swear.

It's Jeff

Banned
Keep with it, you're going to start feeling like yourself again soon. Good work!

I smoked for... 19 years? I stopped off and on a few times, but when I stopped, I made sure to always have a pack with me at all times. Staying away from it didn't work for me. Had to carry temptation with me to get over it. Might work for you, but may be the worst idea ever.

Now, I still vape because there won't ever be a time when I'm not tired of listening to my fucking coworkers' conspiracy theories and need to excuse myself gracefully for a few minutes.

pimentel1

Banned
I quit smoking weed on the 1st of August and am dealing with some withdrawals too. Drinking gatorade and oj seems to help somewhat. good luck, bro.

highrider

Banned
It subsides, but the urge is always there. Tobacco is one of the great hedonistic pleasures of life, I quit smoking years ago but I still crave them at least a few times a week. My dad always jokes the if he’s ever diagnosed as terminally ill the first thing he’ll do is buy a pack 😂

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I don't remember when i quit smoking, maybe 15 years ago.. i think about smoking once every 2 years and the though last 1 second, and is only because the situation triggers a memory from when i used to smoke.

Anki

Banned
I managed to quit smoking for a year (at the time I was meditating and doing kriya yoga at home) but I started to go out 3-4 time a week to party and started smoking again.
I was thinking that is time to stop again today and start again with my exercises and I see this thread :) Well thats a sign, I am stoping today cold turkey like last time.
Last time when I got urges I would stop do small breathing exercise and think, what if I don't take the smoke now will I die? Well I wont so I will not take it, and the urge will pass after few minutes and so on.
Good luck man.

keraj37

Tobacco need wears off after 2-4 weeks so stay strong.
On the other hand I was fighting with vaping urge for more then half a year - vaping addicts 10 times stronger - I know as I was smoking both.

Top Bottom