• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I quit using tobacco a week ago

Tesseract

Banned
My dad quit smoking after 40 years. He lasted 10 years and is now back to smoking.

You don't quit smoking. Nobody does. You just pause, replace it with other tics etc until it becomes impossible to not start again.

Nicotine engraves itself into your brain for life. It NEVER gets easier. IF you've gone cold turkey and been clean for 10+ years, and some guy smokes up beside you, you won't be able to not smoke. You WILL take a ciggie and start suckling on it if he offers you one semi-persistently. It's automatic, your brain will decide for you. You'll say 'no thanks' but your hands will reach for the ciggie.

wat

i know plenty of people who quit and never touched the stuff again

Kadayi

Banned
Nicotine engraves itself into your brain for life. It NEVER gets easier. IF you've gone cold turkey and been clean for 10+ years, and some guy smokes up beside you, you won't be able to not smoke. You WILL take a ciggie and start suckling on it if he offers you one semi-persistently. It's automatic, your brain will decide for you. You'll say 'no thanks' but your hands will reach for the ciggie.

tumblr_mwqahaR91Q1rh2tw8o1_400.gif

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
How long until the damn urges wear off?? I've been chewing gum and popping Zyn pouches for a week now. Seven days. Granted this is the longest I've ever gone without a dip in years, I think I can do it.
Drink Camomile tea. It stopped the urges immediately for me and stopped the anxiety. Also drink lots of fruit juice. Congrats on the quit dude. It's the best decision you'll ever make.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
You have no idea what you're talking about. I've quit for a long time now. And not once do I have a craving when I see other people smoke. And quite frankly the smell is enough to make me want to puke

Nymphae

Banned
Just for the sake of updating. It's been 36 days. Shooting for three months. :messenger_horns:

Nice, keep it up!

The recent thread on the vaping scare of 2019 has me seriously considering an attempt at putting the vape down. With cigarettes, there was almost no positive to me quitting (aside from the health and cost factors - bu neither were particularly pressing when I decided to quit) - so I found that very hard to do - it had an overall negative effect - I just thought about it a lot, made me fidgety and angry, etc. Yeah I saved a bit of money but it wasn't really offsetting the annoyance of quitting.

Vaping, at least with my rig, is going to have a least the minor positive effect of being one less pain in the ass I have to deal with. Cigarettes were easy to do - you buy, you light, you smoke, you toss. Vaping can be quite a chore depending on what your setup is like, and I will be glad to be rid of the chore of maintaining mine. Like I use a dripper, which always has an exposed airhole, meaning I carry this thing around and have to be very careful about the angle the device is at always, or I'm dealing with leaking juice all over my hands and potentially other things. I get really tired of dealing with it.

Last edited:

Pakoe

Gold Member
My dad quit smoking after 40 years. He lasted 10 years and is now back to smoking.

You don't quit smoking. Nobody does. You just pause, replace it with other tics etc until it becomes impossible to not start again.

Bro, YOU need to stop smoking crack.

Just for the sake of updating. It's been 36 days. Shooting for three months. :messenger_horns:

Keep it up!

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Congrats!

I quite smoking last year and have gained a bunch of eight from it, so now I'm starting t get back to the gym ad getting myself healthy again. It's an ongoing process, but it gets easier. Just change your routines/habits and stick to those changes.

GamingKaiju

Congrats OP keep it up!

I’ve been off the cigs now for 16 days, this is the longest I’ve gone since I started. Granted I’m using a vape but it’s lots better than smoking and I can gradually reduce the nicotine to kick the addiction.

Stimpak

Out-fucking-standing for quitting, OP.

Future you, your kids, and grandkids will thank you in a couple decades for not having mouth cancer/health complications.

I smoke about a pack a day. I’ve quit a couple of times before, but I don’t know when I’ll try again. I just love my cigarettes. :messenger_confounded:

Top Bottom