• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So if MS has a great game show in a few weeks, have they finally made up for Xbox One?

Xplainin

Banned
Since the mid gen refresh, MS has gotten the power crown back, both with the XOX over the Pro, and the XSX over PS5. They have ditched for good the TV, DRM, no used games, always on disasters. They have smashed back compate out of the park.
They have increased their first party studios and exclusives.
They have rolled out Game Pass for the masses.
They have an excellent communicator as their public face in Phil.
I'm also pretty sure MS will release the XSX at the same price as PS5, unlike last gen when they were $100 dearer.

So with all this in mind, and if they come off of a successful game showing, has MS done enough to wipe away the demons?
If not, what are the last remaining things they need to address before launch?

I think right now, you wont get an honest answer because people are still comparing sonys show to what MS showed in May thinking this is what they are getting.

I think Phils vision has more than made up for what xbox one was at launch. But the xbox one name will always be tainted with that first impression. Just like wndows8 or windows vista.

First impressions are everything and theyve nailed that so far with XSX. I think people will definitely be surprised in july and it wont be as clear cut after that showing as people seem to think it is now.

My post is saying IF they do have a good showing, will they have then done enough?

Nope. They need to deliver those high quality games first. I've seen way to many interesting looking games turn out to be mediocre after a good showing.

I remember being really excited for No Man's Sky when it was first shown. We all know what happened with that game.

Last edited:
Since the mid gen refresh, MS has gotten the power crown back, both with the XOX over the Pro, and the XSX over PS5. They have ditched for good the TV, DRM, no used games, always on disasters. They have smashed back compate out of the park.
I'm also pretty sure MS will release the XSX at the same price as PS5, unlike last gen when they were $100 dearer.

So with all this in mind, and if they come off of a successful game showing, has MS done enough to wipe away the demons?

They've dug themselves out from the grave, but they are certainly not out of the graveyard just yet. That being said a strong games showcase for Series X would definitely prove way better marketing and word of mouth for Xbox than they had with Xbox One.

Zato

Banned
Once MS can show great games delivered over a generation or two then they will begin to have climbed up to Nintendo and Sony level first party output.

MS’s biggest issue is compelling exclusive content that drives people to buy the machine, that has nothing to do with power or a good presentation at an event.

Majority of their output this gen has not been well received, and not been system sellers.

Buying first party studios who frankly have little pedigree in making system seller level content doesn’t mean anything, proof is in the pudding.

MS have a long way to go, for comparison..... Sony’s worst console gen was MS best.

JimiNutz

Banned
For me (someone that bought an Xbox One day one) they need to:

1. Show off an incredible Halo game that has the best SP and MP the series has ever seen.
2. Show off a years worth of high quality and interesting looking exclusive games (all available on Gamepass).
3. A reasonably priced, high value XSX (XB1 was too expensive at launch in the UK because of Kinect and was worse value than the PS4)

Do those three things and they will have my business next gen.

Last edited:
Once MS can show great games delivered over a generation or two then they will begin to have climbed up to Nintendo and Sony level first party output.

I think the biggest issue that Microsoft has is that the problem can't be solved in the short term. It's going to be a while before those studios can start releasing high quality games on a consistent basis. I personally don't believe they can make up for their mistakes last gen in such a short amount of time.

The real question is whether or not people will be patient with them when the competition is doing much better at the moment.

Will it make up for it...........only at the end if the generation will we know that

Or at least once they start releasing those games but it might take a while for that to happen.

I think when it comes to the July showing people really need to pay attention to the release dates. That should give us an indication on when Microsofts 1st party output will start releasing games on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

Zato

Banned
Yeah, if it shows their first party output is going back to the quality and quantity of the 360 era.

Tell me in all seriousness what are the great first party games from that console?

It’s strength was built on price and a fair few third party exclusives...... which ones where MS made?

GametimeUK

Microsoft have done a lot to change my mind on them this gen. What they have lacked in games they have made up for in terms of services, policies and of course the Xbox One X (which I do not own, but I appreciate).

Digital refunds, cross buy and save, gamepass, elite controllers, not as strict with censoring, backwards compatibility, early access... there is a lot to praise Microsoft on for their services at the moment.

But yeah as a PC guy I'm just super happy having some of their games on Steam and I respect their services in the console space. Xbox currently have the best device and platform, but Sony have the better games overall and that's what matters most unfortunately when it comes to my opinion (and the opinion of many others).

I think the biggest issue that Microsoft has is that the problem can't be solved in the short term. It's going to be a while before those studios can start releasing high quality games on a consistent basis. I personally don't believe they can make up for their mistakes last gen in such a short amount of time.

The real question is whether or not people will be patient with them when the competition is doing much better at the moment.

Honesty, i think it only takes one game for people to jump in. And if lets say Halo shows up this month and impresses, i think youll get a lot of people jumping in day one for XSX that right now, may not be on board.

And Lets not forget that gamepass is still a very tempting offer on top of them having more than enough studios now to make great games and fill that service up. They wont all be great, but the odds are much more in their favor this gen.

People say one thing now that they havent seen the july show, but once that show is done and weve seen their offerings, its a whole different ballgame.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
They don't have to make up for Xbox one. You should look at it gen per gen, and of course buying PS5 at the start you know you'll have a great line up of games over the course of next-gen because of their show. If Microsoft has a great show this month, you'll know you'll have a great next-gen too.

INC

Honestly I wanna see the next aaa shooter, that's not halo (sorry just not a fan)

Something like BF or CoD, something we can compare to this gen.

Xbx could hit it out the park, gonna be interesting

Bryank75

Banned
People who like Xbox never had to forgive them and people who dont like Xbox will never forgive them.... there's only a small amount of people that may have moved away from Xbox and would come back for such an arbitrary reason.

Honesty, i think it only takes one game for people to jump in. And if lets say Halo shows up this month and impresses, i think youll get a lot of people jumping in day one for XSX that right now, may not be on board.

And Lets not forget that gamepass is still a very tempting offer on top of them having more than enough studios now to make great games and fill that service up. They wont all be great, but the odds are much more in their favor this gen.

People say one thing now that they havent seen the july show, but once that show is done and weve seen their offerings, its a whole different ballgame.

Well hopefully 343 does a much better job with Halo than they did on the past. I haven't really played the 343 Halos but I have seen many people criticize them mostly due to how poor the campaign is compared to the Bungie Halos. Anyways I'm curious to see what the game will look like on the XSX because it's supposed to be a demonstration of the consoles capabilities.

Anyways I'm wondering what kind of gamers will Microsoft try to target with the XSX. Will it be PS4 owners or people that don't own a console yet? It's going to be interesting to see how they are going to market it.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Tell me in all seriousness what are the great first party games from that console?

It’s strength was built on price and a fair few third party exclusives...... which ones where MS made?

Halo series, Gears series, Fable series, Viva Pinata series, Halo Wars, PGR series.

They used to have a really strong and varied first party lineup.

Well hopefully 343 does a much better job with Halo than they did on the past. I haven't really played the 343 Halos but I have seen many people criticize them mostly due to how poor the campaign is compared to the Bungie Halos. Anyways I'm curious to see what the game will look like on the XSX because it's supposed to be a demonstration of the consoles capabilities.

Anyways I'm wondering what kind of gamers will Microsoft try to target with the XSX. Will it be PS4 owners or people that don't own a console yet? It's going to be interesting to see how they are going to market it.

Every gen is kind of the same. You get the hardcore first to jump in, eventually their friends follow.

The problem next gen is crossplay. People wont necessary need to buy the same console to play with friends. Where as with xbox360, ps3, you had to.

crossplay is the real wild card here. It makes it so people dont "have to" buy the same HW and can still play with friends. Thats a huge gamechanger. Plus with xbox on PC now, its definitely not going to be a traditional console generation this time around.

I just hope their games showing isn't focused on 3rd person action adventure to mimic what Sony does. To me they already have the best place to play and the most valuable services. I already know the console will be the best place to play once again in BC and GP. I want to see what next gen on Xbox will look like.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I don't see how anyone cauld laud Microsoft for doing so many things right when the reality is that this gen was a dumpster fire for Xbox fans, in particular for the early adopters who bought the original Xbox One for $500, got the weakest specs, a useless Kinect peripheral and seven years of mostly poorly reviewed first party games. You must really love the brand when after such a poor showing you're willing to give MS another shot.

Caio

The "All in one Device" "home entertainment system and Kinect included in all boxes" Idea/strategy didn't work, mostly if you have to pay 100 extra bucks for a much less powerful machine, also the Always Online and DRM didn't work well,, to put it mildly . Bad presentation from the beginning, wrong strategy, a more expensive package with less performane and inferior multiplatform games gave a negative image to the XBox One, and MS was never able to recover from. Sony on the other hand, released PS4, a "perfect machine", cheaper, more powerful, easier to develop for, cool and simple.

It appears MS learned from their mistakes, and XSX seems much more competitive in view of the next generation. Price at Launch should be really similar, better specs, most probably XSX will have the best version of multiplat games, Game Pass, and a possible Killer App at Launch = Halo Infinite.

Even though the first XBox was not very successful, MS managed to change everything with XBox 360; it was a great console and sold almost like PS3; Sony on the other hand didn't start very well, they gave one full year of head start to MS, releasing a more expensive console and much harder to develop for, and only the Slim version managed to help Sony to ragain the leadership in the Global. 360 conquered NA by a huge margin, and I still can't see a real winner in that generation (PS3 VS 360).

So is MS "doomed" because of the mistakes done with XBox One ? Hell no, It looks like they are doing all well, they have their weapons, and if the July Event will be a WOW, and same in late August, and a couple of Killer Apps at Launch, well, MS have a very good chance to win in NA next Gen,

People are understimating MS a bit too much. Things can change, and Sony could have some serious competition, which is very good for all of us gamers.

Last edited:
Every gen is kind of the same. You get the hardcore first to jump in, eventually their friends follow.

The problem next gen is crossplay. People wont necessary need to buy the same console to play with friends. Where as with xbox360, ps3, you had to.

crossplay is the real wild card here. It makes it so people dont "have to" buy the same HW and can still play with friends. Thats a huge gamechanger. Plus with xbox on PC now, its definitely not going to be a traditional console generation this time around.

Also like to add that both consoles have BC so some people will have a reason to not change brands especially if they own alot of digital content.

It's going to be curious to see what happens next gen but I still believe that Playstation will end up selling the most due to their loyal fanbase and the global strength of the brand. Doesn't mean that Microsoft can't do better than the X1 though.

Also like to add that both consoles have BC so some people will have a reason to not change brands especially if they own alot of digital content.

It's going to be curious to see what happens next gen but I still believe that Playstation will end up selling the most due to their loyal fanbase and the global strength of the brand. Doesn't mean that Microsoft can't do better than the X1 though.

Yeah its hard to say. I have a lot of 360 digital games and i still made ps4 my main console for the first have of this gen. It didnt really stop me from "switching". Although i always buy both so, i didnt really miss out.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Between the One X, GamePass, numerous studio acquisitions, and transparent communication...I feel they've "made up" for the Xbox One.

What is clear that they have now, which they havent in the past, is the deep investment from Microsoft into XBox.

They've now announced the most powerful console of the next gen and will likely be announcing the most affordable as well.

They should have a good show and hopefully it resonates beyond people on these type of forums. Looking at aome comments, its lol, that there "nothing" or "never" they can do. People have already chosen their sides amongst the hardcore. They need to win over the casual (Series S existence).

Isn't MS getting flack because they don't plan on abandoning Xbox One users for the next year or two?

Well Sony just released The Last of Us 2 with Ghosts coming on the near future. Plus they also had Dreams which is getting updated with VR.

Basically it's possible to support a system at the end of its life and provide exclusives for the next one.

They are both doing this BTW.

Isn't MS getting flack because they don't plan on abandoning Xbox One users for the next year or two?
Well Sony just released The Last of Us 2 with Ghosts coming on the near future. Plus they also had Dreams which is getting updated with VR.

Basically it's possible to support a system at the end of its life and provide exclusives for the next one.

They are both doing this BTW.

Yes right now. But once the ps5 is out, ps4 support is done for sony. Xbox one will still be getting "new" first party games even after XSX launches for at least one year or 2.

Basically if MS dont it, they get shit on and when they do it, they still get shit on.

Last edited:
I think so. They still have to show the games but as a service they are by far the most consumer friendly gaming platform ever right now. The Xbox one launch wasn't about a lack of games but heavily anti consumer policies. They made a complete 180 on that.

Yes right now. But once the ps5 is out, ps4 support is done for sony. Xbox one will still be getting "new" first party games even after XSX launches for at least one year or 2.

Basically if MS dont it, they get shit on and when they do it, they still get shit on.

Advantages and disadvantages to each method.

Sony are being called anti consumer for abandoning the PS4 while Microsoft is being called anti consumer for not putting all their focus on the XSX.

There's really no way to escape criticism with either strategy.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't really have a grudge. I think it's unlikely to be as bad as the Xbox One ever was so should be better by default. First parties are the big thing for MS now so they just need a few good IPs in their July show. Their hardware is solid and powerful, they've dropped Kinect crap. If they show 4/5 good games I don't mind jumping ship to team MS. Especially if they are cheaper.

Gamerguy84

Yeah I think so. They need to start at home. America is thirsty AF for a strong showing. They just went through an entire gen without strong first party games with a few exceptions. They have lots of media support and faithful fanbase.

The disaster that was the PS3 didnt gain traction until they started pumping out good exclusives.

I think that a strong showing gets them a slight advantage back in America but not anywhere close workdwide.

Advantages and disadvantages to each method.

Sony are being called anti consumer for abandoning the PS4 while Microsoft is being called anti consumer for not putting all their focus on the XSX.

There's really no way to escape criticism with either strategy.

I dont think you can call supporting old and new anti-consumer. If anything, Its the opposite.

The only people complaining about that are people that dont like MS to begin with.

Aidah

The general impression of Xbox isn't going to change drastically because of one show. They've been working to improve that impression for a long time and they need to continue doing so, having an interesting show is just one thing along the way.

The damage this gen of Xbox did to the brand will be irrelevant when you no longer see any reason to ask such a question.

Last edited:
I dont think you can call supporting old and new anti-consumer. If anything, Its the opposite.

The only people complaining about that are people that dont like MS to begin with.

It's the whole claim that slow HDDs of previous systems will hold next gen systems back. It's the reason why some games are not possible on previous systems. Not to mention the huge difference in CPU power as well.

In an interview, Wojciech stated, "I can't tell you right now about our most important feature, because we will have to save it for later. But the gameplay mechanic built around those two worlds couldn't be fully realized on current-gen hardware."

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
A show is just that, a show.

They still have follow through and release the games they show and continue from there.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft has os problems they're working through, and every AAA SONY releases hurts them so it's clear Halo alone can't carry M$.

Roberts

Personally I've had a blast with Xbox, especially in the last two and a half years since Xbox One X has come out. Some of my all time best gaming memories come from playing it. But I also totally understand people who were disappointed or angry by how MS handled this gen - let's hope their minds change after the July showcase.

Top Bottom