• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Metal Gear Solid over?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
MGS2 is the best videogame I've ever played.
Your favorite is the one with the spinoff character? Not one with the main hero or main villain?

tenor.gif

No, but really that's your pick?
38f66b8a81cd550418aacc0e0a8eb2a0.gif

169.jpg
YjZw60I.png

mgjzt37ht2v31.jpg
0f9.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm surprised anyone is saying it isn't.

Short of some miraculous reunion, there's a ocean of bad blood between Konami and Kojima, and an entire epic story has been told from the 60s into an alternate reality 2010s, with two main characters completely wrapped up.

MG feels... complete, and while Konami may attempt an entry by themselves in the future, I doubt anyone will take it seriously without the creative genius that made it so special in the first place.

It's done, and it was wonderful.
I agree...mostly 😉
Despite there being bad blood between Kojima and Konami, I'm constantly reminded how successful these games made Kojima. The story is complete but in Japan to cease production on a franchise ultimately risks losing business benefits of it in the future. I feel Kojima is proving himself to Konami with Kojima Productions, that he can at minimum still play creative director. There's a huge push from fans, the dawning of a new generation of game consoles, and his own Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid storyline. That huge storyline still has enough gaps in it to create another entry. Kojima's still a young businessman and I doubt he's intends to stop. I think Konami will renegotiate their terms and they'll break some kind of agreement. Of course, the bad blood will always be there. It's the same for successful animators and movie directors. They all have a parent production company which likes to pull their strings.

We shall see...🤔

reptilex

Banned
Metal Gear Solid is the brainchild of Hideo Kojima, but it is also the intellectual property of Konami. Hence, more than likely there may never be subsequent entries in the franchise or subsequent entries in the franchise won't benefit from any creative input from Hideo Kojima (such as Metal Gear Survive, which was terrible by most people's accounts).

What do my fellow NeoGAFites believe will be the ultimate fate of the franchise? Do you think that there will be future entries or not? If so, do you think that they'll be remakes or brand new stories? And do you think that Konami would make amends with Hideo Kojima in order to have him make a new entry for them?

It better be for ever over unless Kojima or someone at least as good which is unlikely, can make a new one.

Bolivar687

Banned
Just like Castlevania and Silent Hill, they're going to let this sit on the shelf. The only reason they even flirted with those games in recent years was because of Kojima having been on the board and in charge of broader game development. The people in charge now really don't like AAA console games and it's kinda hard to blame them as a Japanese developer.

I just wish they would license out the IP to someone who does care.

Old Retro

Metal Gear is one of my favorite franchises, if not my most favoritest. :unsure: It's almost like Terminator or Aliens, where the story wears thin, the mystique runs out, and every new iteration feels forced. MGS V should have been sooo much more than it was.

I just hope to god that, now that he's out of Konami's hands, that he can make something akin to Snatcher or Policenauts. Just imagine....... =D

Ozrimandias

IT'S NOT OVER YET!!! (Ocelot Voice here)

- I don't think it's over, but honestly even if Kojima comes back to the franchise, i don't care anymore.
The last good Metal Gear for me was 4 and was the conclusion of my childhood. Looking back at the plot and voice acting, and other stuff i just, cant stand it, it's so dumb and over sophisticated and metaphorical (but in a dumb way). Metal Gear Solid 5 was the coffin of a good franchise (at that time)

Life

A big movie is being made. That could potentially kickstart a Netflix series. That could potentially raise the fanbase and another game could be made. A franchise like that doesn't just die cos it=money.

If Sony manages to buy the MGS franchise from Konami and hands it back to Kojima, I will buy 5 PS5's.

In Minecraft.

Last edited:

Umbral

It ended as soon as Kojima stopped being involved.

The only acceptable entry past his departure would be Metal Gear Rising 2 by Platinum Games.

Philfrag

Banned
Hell no. AAA gaming lacks so much imagination that the mainstream will just be remakes and re-treads of old franchises. No matter how tainted the relationship between Konami and Kojima I’m near certain someone is going to dish out enough money at some point to ignite the franchise again.

I love metal gear solid. But MGS ended for me with snake at the end of 4. That’s not to say I don’t think the franchise has more to offer. I’m just cynical of the AAA space being able to do anything worth while with it in the current state the industry has found itself in. The MGS series always thrived when it took risks. Mainstream video games just doesnt take risks anymore, and I’m not interested in any half measures when it comes to the legacy of the world Kojima built. I’d rather see it never return if the only option was to get ‘Metal Gear Solid - the force awakens’.

Caffeine

its been over for awhile now pretty much ended with 4, you got some post series shit in rising if u consider it canon. peace walker and mgsv were just completing the circle of earlier story before metal gear.

Collin

Banned
it pains me to say but probably. my dream would be that they’ll sell it off to sony and they’ll make cool metal gear 1 and 2 msx remakes or mgs VI with kojima returning to his property. that would the most maximum hype i would ever feel for a sequel of something but i don’t even think even kojima is that interested in returning to mgs anymore.

it’ll never happen but man, a lil boy can dream. metal gear solid 1-3 hold such a special place on my heart - they just have this distinct atmosphere and tone that i don’t see any other game or property ever fully recapturing (4, peace walker and 5 are fun also but i don’t feel quite the same about them)

what i could see happening is konami shitting out some stupid spinoff with the metal gear name that we all will collectively hate

Last edited:

DrCheese

its been over for awhile now pretty much ended with 4, you got some post series shit in rising if u consider it canon. peace walker and mgsv were just completing the circle of earlier story before metal gear.

Yeah this was it for me also - 4 wrapped up basically all the PS era games in a neat bow - I just didn't see the point in any of the games after.

I did try 5 last year & the bit at the start with the hospital was fantastic, but I couldn't get into it after that. The story (At least for me) was done.

They still have chances to make MGS games, tho

Mg1-2 remakes, and the original MGS Rising concept - post - Mgs2 Raiden who goes in the rescue of Sunny, get captured and experimented on by Patriots etc. - still have tons of potential
Also, i'd even be fine with smaller scale projects, they could even do them with isometric visual like mgs 1-2-3, and good ol' stealth in box areas, i'd be crazy happy to play the hell out of them and it won't cost them a shitton of money

And no, just because the creator of a certain series is no longer on it, doesn't mean that series has to die

Am I wrong or, for example, Miyamoto didn't work on Odissey? And still is praised as a Mario masterpiece, just the first example that comes to mind

Or Metroid Prime with Retro trilogy, or Re7...

The hardest part is to find the right people, but trust me, sometimes new people can even do better

Last edited:

Kumomeme

sadly probably there highly chances that Metal Gear is over

even if it somehow resurface by konami..but it probably another an empty shell like mgs survive..a title only carried it name but nothing much else

unless something really interesting happened where sony acquire the ip or there some sort of collaboration and stuff

for me...MGS not necessary mush have kojima onboard...but current konami is incapable to do the series justice...the bar quality for the franchise also high...MGS has heavy emphasis of cinematic storyline element and 3rd person gameplay which is based on track record, from what i see probably only sony first party studio only capable making proper MGS title even without kojima

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
If they ever make a new one, they need to tone down the over the top, anime-esque bullshit from the 11 it's at to about a 6 or 7 where MGS started and they'll have my attention, otherwise Metal Gear can fuck off and I can go back to fantasizing about an Escape from NY and LA game.

(Yes, I know how rediculous Escape from LA was)

Hinedorf

Banned
I think it's best left the way it is. If that ugly ending to MGS5 inspired Death Stranding then I'm glad for it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I agree...mostly 😉
Despite there being bad blood between Kojima and Konami, I'm constantly reminded how successful these games made Kojima. The story is complete but in Japan to cease production on a franchise ultimately risks losing business benefits of it in the future. I feel Kojima is proving himself to Konami with Kojima Productions, that he can at minimum still play creative director. There's a huge push from fans, the dawning of a new generation of game consoles, and his own Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid storyline. That huge storyline still has enough gaps in it to create another entry. Kojima's still a young businessman and I doubt he's intends to stop. I think Konami will renegotiate their terms and they'll break some kind of agreement. Of course, the bad blood will always be there. It's the same for successful animators and movie directors. They all have a parent production company which likes to pull their strings.

We shall see...🤔

He's like, 50. 😋

I do agree. Stranger things have happened for the fans, and for the money. Konami almost seems to want nothing to do with big budget games, though.

I could see, in the best of outcomes, something like those fun Silent Hill rumors, where several parties come together to make something happen, and Konami provides the IP for a hearty cut.

Madflavor

Metal Gear Solid is dead in pretty much every sense of the word. Though the gameplay was really fucking good, it was clear with MGS5 that Kojima had no more stories to tell in this universe. The passion was gone. The story ended in 2008 with MGS4, and it was (at least imo) a good ending that wrapped up most of the storyline and characters. But the series has lost it's creator and Konami have no interest in trying to revive it anyway. I don't possibly see how it could come back, nor do I see any point.

Ceadeus

Nothing is stopping Kojima from making a new IP in the same vein as MGS with another character. He would have done it already, he's probably done with this genre.

Kerotan

Hopefully they remake the first 3, remaster 4 and do a metal gear sold 6 based on the MSX games MG1 and 2.

Tschumi

I think the Metal Gear loop is complete. Kojima did not leave the storyline unresolved.

Metal Gear introduced us to Solid Snake. We follow his journey as a soldier and a pawn in a larger global conflict. MGS3 introduces us to the main villain, Big Boss, and loops back to the cold war. We begin to see how Solid Snake's world was shaped by earlier events somehow leading up to Metal Gear. MGS4 concludes Solid Snake's adventure while Portable Ops and Peace Walker flesh out Big Boss's story a bit more as we inch toward MGS5. MGS5 fully explains how Big Boss is the monster we encounter in Metal Gear. The loop is closed.

Quick EDIT: we even got side-stories through Raiden in MGS2 and MGR. It's a multi-generational story, as we encounter the parents/children of characters throughout the plot.
I kinda think there's space for Eli's story, which as we all know wasn't exactly explored in mgs5, but yeah i don't think it'll happen~ the bad guys kind of had all these experiences and confederacies in the background that could probably have a few games in them if we think about it.. how did Revolver Ocelot go from mgs3 to mgs2?

https://thearkhound.tumblr.com/post...omokazu-fukushimas-role-in-metal-gear-solid-1
He was with Kojima during setting research when a small team flew to NY. He was with Kojima and the assistant director during VA recording.

I always thought it was the one flaw with that game that their trip to New York ended up being

a rooftop

I thought they could have fit a whole new act in there

Last edited by a moderator:
If Konami wants money, and they can deliver remake of the first 3 games with the graphics of the pachinko CGI which is very doable today, thats as much as I would ask for. I dont think we need a new MGS, its already been milked considering all they can do is make titles that keep changing time periods to fill out plot holes that were never meant to be answered. A franchise usually goes sequel, sequel, sequel, prequel and call it a day. But MGS just went all out sequel, sequel, prequel, pre-prequel, sequel, pre-sequel, prequelle lol

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I think at best Konami might test the waters with a remake/remaster of one of the older games (either MGS1 or MGS3) since they already have Kojima's framework on them. And if the team behind that makes a really success of imitating that formula of it then Konami might release a new entry.

Of course this is all subject on Konami being interested in making games again, but if that ever did happen then I think it's rational that they'd explore development of their biggest and best selling franchise.
I think they should remake the first metal gear from the msx

theclaw135

Banned
Checks and balances are what made Kojima great. With access to powerful consoles to freely create whatever he felt like, the house of cards began crumbling.

Dr Kaneda

I think they should remake the first metal gear from the msx
I think they should as well. But realistically something like MSG1 and MSG3 is going to be far easier to "remake". Doing MSX basically means creating a new game, only thing it's going to retain is the story.

Yoda

MGS w/Kojima at the helm is probably over. If Konami makes another, it'd probably be a rushed remaster of an existing title. If they sell the IP, it'd be done w/o Kojima and would probably piss off fans similar to Metal Gear Survive.

IT'S NOT OVER YET!!! (Ocelot Voice here)

- I don't think it's over, but honestly even if Kojima comes back to the franchise, i don't care anymore.
The last good Metal Gear for me was 4 and was the conclusion of my childhood. Looking back at the plot and voice acting, and other stuff i just, cant stand it, it's so dumb and over sophisticated and metaphorical (but in a dumb way). Metal Gear Solid 5 was the coffin of a good franchise (at that time)
What blasphemy!!!!

Blond

Banned
Kojima wanted to end it with dignity and success, konami wanted to milk it and instead sent it to its shameful grave.

That's definitely not true. That guy could've left and started his studio anytime with Sony and he knows it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
That's definitely not true. That guy could've left and started his studio anytime with Sony and he knows it.
No, that’s exactly true, Kojima himself said he wanted to end MGS with V, but Konami didnt.
Then they had their fallout and Konami made that Survive failure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom