• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is the PS3 Dual Voltage for sure or not?

Susurrus

My friend and I both have US PS3s and have moved to Germany.

Can we use our PS3s without a transformer? I have an original 60gb Fatty, as well as a Slim (whichever one was bundled with KZ3). My buddy is getting a White "ultra-slim" PS3.

I googled it a bit on the internet but still couldn't get a good feeling about it as there didn't be solid answers.

I was hoping Europe-GAF, Australia-GAF, or anyotherpartofthevastmajorityoftheworldthatuses220-GAF that has imported a US or JP PS3 could give a sure-fire answer.

Thanks in advance.

teepo

i've used my US PS3 Slim in Europe with no problems what so ever, even with it explicity stating that it's not a 120/220hz device.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm using my EU Slim in Japan right now without any problems if that's of any help.

Jezbollah

I imported the original 60gb launch model from japan and used it in the uk just swapped the plug

Likewise. I have an original launch 60gb US PS3 and all I needed to do was use a standard "kettle" or PC cable with it. The launch model was auto-detecting.

My friend and I both have US PS3s and have moved to Germany.

Can we use our PS3s without a transformer? I have an original 60gb Fatty, as well as a Slim (whichever one was bundled with KZ3). My buddy is getting a White "ultra-slim" PS3.

I googled it a bit on the internet but still couldn't get a good feeling about it as there didn't be solid answers.

I was hoping Europe-GAF, Australia-GAF, or anyotherpartofthevastmajorityoftheworldthatuses220-GAF that has imported a US or JP PS3 could give a sure-fire answer.

Thanks in advance.

Check the text next to the power connection on the ps3. It should say something like "Input: 100-240V 50-60Hz" If that's the case, it's fine to use in Germany. If it's only rated at a max of 120V and 60Hz, though, it'll kill the power supply.

Edit: or it's possible that it's mislabeled, judging from what other people are saying. Though I'd just spring for the 1000W transformer, myself, rather than risking it...

lockload

You mean the power cable? Reason I ask is that's what I done when I imported the Vita from Japan and used it in Australia.

Yes i actually had a spare cable from my old pc so used that , i would note though the ultra slim ps3 doesn't use the pc style plug it has a smaller figure of 8 style plug

Like someone said check the power rating on the the label next to the power supply

From the looks of that link above all ps3s are 240v compatible but not all 100/240v

M3d10n

Did you look under the PS3? AFAIK most devices with an internal power supply state their voltage somewhere in their case.

consoul

I have personally jammed multiple JP and US PS3s straight into 240 volts. Fats and slims - no problem at all. They're multi-voltage.

The label on the bottom may say they're 110v only, but internally they have universal AC adapters.

Susurrus

Thanks everyone. My US slim is now directly plugged into a German outlet and my buddy's ultra slim as well. When I get my fatty from the moving company, I will do so as well.

Side note: I can also verify the US Wii U works this way as well (console and charger).

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Mine's a 60GB fat from Japan and I live in Sweden. I just swapped the power cable. Works perfectly.

EDIT: And if I had read the thread I would have seen the problem was already solved.

I'd just make sure and get a transformer. They're not that expensive. You can get a decent one for 20€ or something.

And just out of curiosity: What town in Germany did you move to?

Top Bottom