• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so it's 5 year that thegia went out of business :(

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
..pakbeka.. said:
:lol I remember seeing those screenshots and the logo of FFVIII gaiden printed in a magazine back then

but IIRC they did say it seemed to be fake

Yeah, we got printed in Famitsu! That totally made my day. It was an article on gaming rumors, IIRC.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
speedpop said:
Doesn't Vestal post here as Drinky Crow?

Pretty sure that's just an in-joke.

He probably still posts, but after 1UP ganked one of his comments from GAF and used it in an article without his permission, he probably started a new account and didn't ever say that he was Andrew Vestal.

Tsubaki said:
Oh noes, TheGIA is gone. It's not like there's an absence of websites sucking on SE's dick.
I remember when the majority of TheGIA's editors selected 'Paper Mario' over 'FFX', as their GoTY for 2001. :D

Alethea

mog-01.jpg

People at RPGamer still talk about this one.

I'm glad I got out of that "business."

mollipen

FoneBone said:
Nope. "Project X" was what became Nuon. M2 had been dead for some time by the time that issue came out.

Yeah, if I had really thought about it, I would have realized that that would have been too late to have been M2. I never knew that the Nuon started off as potentially being its own console, though. Guess that was because I never cared so I didn't pay attention. *heh*

Senretsu

I remember thegia. The review of frontmission for playstation convinced me to rent the game. I'd have otherwise ignored the game. I remember gameforms slightly, but never really went there.

silvon

Didn't they have this 'Save GIA' thing a few months before they closed down? They collected quite a tidy sum from the project too, IIRC. So why did they still stop the website?

yeb

Their gushing perfect review of Vagrant Story actually caused me to forever lose all faith in reviewers. I enjoyed the game, but only for the story; it's like the JRPG equivalent of Planescape: Torment. I have no idea why it affected me so much, but ever since then I've tried to get info from everything BUT reviews.

I do miss it though. I went to Fritz Fraundorf's site, so I was visiting the GIA for its entire life.

silvon said:
Didn't they have this 'Save GIA' thing a few months before they closed down? They collected quite a tidy sum from the project too, IIRC. So why did they still stop the website?

Ed McGlothlin took the money and fled to Dubai.

Pachael

yeb said:
Their gushing perfect review of Vagrant Story actually caused me to forever lose all faith in reviewers. I enjoyed the game, but only for the story; it's like the JRPG equivalent of Planescape: Torment. I have no idea why it affected me so much, but ever since then I've tried to get info from everything BUT reviews.

I do miss it though. I went to Fritz Fraundorf's site, so I was visiting the GIA for its entire life.

So did I, there was a time when I was floored by the witty FF fanfics. Those were the times :/

Ravidrath

Most people like to tease Andrew about the Moogle costume, while I prefer to tease him about the Shakespeare-quoting editorial he wrote trying to calm the people petitioning Square to put the rumored "resurrect Aeris" scene back into FF7. It was totally ridiculous, yet totally Andrew.

As for the Save GIA campaign, I believe they intially put it up to mark the "beginning of the end" - while money was a factor, it wasn't the factor, and they didn't expect to get any donations at all. Of course, to their great surprise, they got a ton of money very quickly. Even though they needed to close it eventually for the staff's own personal reasons, out of respect for the donators they kept it open until the money was gone. No one profited - it was used to pay hosting costs and reimburse people for money they'd already spent in service to the site and nothing more.

Top Bottom