• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so it's 5 year that thegia went out of business :(

Drek

Thats what they get for disrespecting the awesome Legend of Dragoon!

j/k, just remembering the hilarious emails they had posted from their LoD review, which was pretty damn spot on if you ask me.

Rocksteady33

disappeared said:
Five years ago that Next-Gen went out of the magazine business too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Generation_Magazine

446px-NextGen_Cover_08-98.jpg

I had never heard of this magazine, but can someone please tell me what the hell Project X is?

Tamanon

Banned
I thought Project X was the Phantom.....maybe it was the Xbox.

And I miss TheGIA. It introduced me to Toastyfrog.

bengraven

GIA really started to slow down with news and articles towards the end. Then it became Gameforms, which never posted news. So I'm not really excited about another form.

Must say I checked that site religiously.

I believe Project X was the Nuon. Yeah, the Nuon. Before everyone knew it was a huge pile o' crap, there was all kinds of hype that this was going to be the next big platform (at least technically). Hah hah hah. Heh. Uh. Heh.

Anyway--Next Generation sucked. That magazine was so full of themselves, and basically were slobbering fanboys under the guise of journalistic authority. I remember their photo captions would have such stunning insights as, "This game uses textures which make the game look realistic." and other such ridiculous stuff. I remember they were claiming artists were over because Max Payne used real photos for textures and thus there won't be anything to draw.

So no, I don't miss them one bit. They had a very nice layout and the print quality was fantastic. But after the first year or two, the magazine just tanked content-wise.

Ahh, the good ole' days.

They were more readable and literate then pretty much any other gaming site I can remember . I hope it isn't nostalgia saying that, but honestly, they were pretty awesome.

Thai

Bane was better.
Rocksteady33 said:

I had never heard of this magazine, but can someone please tell me what the hell Project X is?

Can it be stopped?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

=(

ShockingAlberto said:
It lasted for a while, then the original content slowed down to a snail's pace and just eventually stopped.

Gameforms was pretty much a disappointment anyway. IIRC they took the "games are art!" thing a bit too seriously especially in the reviews.

Scoreless reviews sounds like a good idea in theory, but their implementation of it was a bit lacking.

polg

Rocksteady33 said:

I have that issue :(

At least EDGE is still going (though it always felt EDGE > NG)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I hope they ressurect this magazine soon. I believe in a couple years, the industry will have matured enough to provide a nesting-ground for this type of media -- something more intelligent and thought-provoking.

KennyL

ah thegia, great site. They had some good April fools posts like:

FF Gaiden
http://rca.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/news/n990401b.html

FF7 for Atari 2600
http://rca.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/news/n990401a.html

atariff7.gif

What are the staffs doing now? All I know is ferret wrangling Kevin Gifford is with Newtype USA and does Game Mag Weaseling for gamesetwatch, amongst other things.
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/column_game_mag_weaseling/

He posts here so maybe he can give a couple of words.

And remember the law of Next Generation Magazine:

Matte cover = GOOD!
Glossy cover = TRASH!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
The GIA was 256 kinds of awesome. I was proud to be involved with the site from time to time. Who can forget Funky Fantasy :lol

Aokage

KennyL said:
ah thegia, great site. They had some good April fools posts like:

FF Gaiden
http://rca.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/news/n990401b.html

Whoa, FF Gaiden! Memories! That was mine. I made the logo, the screens, the Fuujin and Raijin status screen portraits...it was an absolute blast. The icing on the cake was the irrefutable video "proof" :lol

I remember discussing with Andrew Vestal what to call it. We considered "Final Fantasy VIII-2", but eventually concluded Square would never be that dumb.

Cut to four years later...

KennyL

Aokage said:
Whoa, FF Gaiden! Memories! That was mine. I made the logo, the screens, the Fuujin and Raijin status screen portraits...it was an absolute blast. The icing on the cake was the irrefutable video "proof" :lol

I remember discussing with Andrew Vestal what to call it. We considered "Final Fantasy VIII-2", but eventually concluded Square would never be that dumb.

Ha nice! Impressive work dude.

So what are you guys doing these days?

Aokage

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Much props to the best gaming site ever on the internet. I'm serious.

The April Fools shutdown was actually quite depressing.... after I had been had in a reverse way by thinking it was just a joke. I thought The GIA had a future in the world, and I didn't know it was in decline....

That was the last great fan-made site i can really remember... The internet's been kinda boring since then...

EDIT: Oh yeah.... they ****ing leaked Final Fantasy IX documents months in advance of its announcement, and I totally thought it was BS :lol :lol

Drakken

As someone who never knew about The GIA until they had gone under, I'm genuinely curious - what made them so great? What made them stand out from all the other fansites out there?

mollipen

The "Project X" they're referring to is the M2, or the next generation of 3DO technology. The stuff that Matsushida purchased with the idea of putting out a full-fledged console, and then never went anywhere with.

Manmademan said:
Gameforms was pretty much a disappointment anyway. IIRC they took the "games are art!" thing a bit too seriously especially in the reviews.

Scoreless reviews sounds like a good idea in theory, but their implementation of it was a bit lacking.
I never even bothered with the articles. To me, the main draw of TheGIA was Drew Cosner (I think that was his name) and his daily mailbag. Gameforms' mailbag wasn't anywhere near as good.

FoneBone

shidoshi said:
The "Project X" they're referring to is the M2, or the next generation of 3DO technology. The stuff that Matsushida purchased with the idea of putting out a full-fledged console, and then never went anywhere with.
Nope. "Project X" was what became Nuon. M2 had been dead for some time by the time that issue came out.

Aokage said:

:lol I remember seeing those screenshots and the logo of FFVIII gaiden printed in a magazine back then

but IIRC they did say it seemed to be fake

FightyF

Banned
FoneBone said:
Nope. "Project X" was what became Nuon. M2 had been dead for some time by the time that issue came out.

Correct.

-edit-
This is also stated on Wikipedia.

I used to post a lot in the Nuon forums so I know a bit more than I should, on that console.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
GIA had the best screenshot database ever. They had like 10,000 screenshots of MGS2, a screen capture for like every scene pretty much

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
GIA was a great site, I still talk to at least one of the guys who worked on the site to this day, although just sporadically. Good articles, good screenshots, great mailbag. I wish mailbags on sites today were as funny and as entertaining as the ones on GIA. I visited gameforms for the first two months it was around, but it was nowhere near as good as GIA to me.

Top Bottom