• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So let's discuss Fire Emblem localization

Hugstable

Banned
oNdljCc.gif

Will they cut out the face rubbing though? I hope they cut out loli rubbing if it's in there or game will be ban worthy.

lol yeah the face rubbing is weird as hell, but honestly, what's lewd about it? It's just strange, I don't think I hear them moaning (they don't, right?) or anything, and it's not like you are rubbing other things. Have you seen the games that got banned here? This face rubbing minigame does not even come close to that stuff.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The name changes are asinine, but I have more problem with them in principle than I do with the actual names. Azura, Xander, Kaze, Arthur - they all sound cool and pleasing to the ear. But Aqua, Marx, Suzukaze, and Harold were fine as they were. The same goes for the rest of the name changes.

Busaiku

Busaiku, go to the Awakening name changes and complain about those.
This hate and fear mongering for Treehouse for a product that isn't finished is crude.
I'm not needlessly hating on Treehouse, I think they'll do a fantastic job as far as the script and setting go.
I don't have a problem with "Xander" on its own either.

But I wouldn't mind if Fire Emblem were a more global product.
I'm stalking the if thread like mad, and it's gonna be a pain converting.

The fear mongering isn't related to their competence for translations, but more anoit what they would likely be forced to change cause of the higher ups.
And I actually didn't want this thread to devolve into that, but yes, I contributed to it.

The name changes are asinine, but I have more problem with them in principle than I do with the actual names. Azura, Xander, Kaze, Arthur - they all sound cool and pleasing to the ear. But Aqua, Marx, Suzukaze, and Harold were fine as they were. The same goes for the rest of the name changes.

I would like to see statements from them regarding some of these changes that appear to be arbitrary. Like Marx -> Xander, or Harold -> Arthur for example.

Unless native English speakers experience fatal aneurysms when they read names like Marx or Harold, there's really no clear reason why such changes have been made other than the possibility that someone has gone a bit too far in regards to the changes they can but should not necessarily make.

What does Treehouse's track record look like? I know there's Kid Icarus: Uprising which was amazing albeit they were given free reign to do what they wanted with the script.

Just give it an M rating and keep everything.

Busaiku

What does Treehouse's track record look like? I know there's Kid Icarus: Uprising which was amazing albeit they were given free reign to do what they wanted with the script.

Just give it an M rating and keep everything.
Pretty much all the good Nintendo localizations.
Mario RPGs, Animal Crossing, etc.
They do most things, but those're some of the more text heavy.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I can't believe this is real.

How is this even going to work.

They'll likely cut/downplay some of the lewd/suggestive comments, in both vocal clips and the text.

Outside of those specific aspects, I don't think the face-rubbing will go away entirely.

As for swimsuits...on one hand, they're swimsuits. On the other, NoA already censored Tharja's swimsuit-clad behind in Awakening, though that was a CG shot.

Steel

Banned
lol yeah the face rubbing is weird as hell, but honestly, what's lewd about it? It's just strange, I don't think I hear them moaning (they don't, right?) or anything, and it's not like you are rubbing other things. Have you seen the games that got banned here? This face rubbing minigame does not even come close to that stuff.

Yeah... On the subject:

At the very least they're going to change what the characters say. There's no way most of this stuff is getting through

NSFW text
http://pastebin.com/VH25QRxs

That's more detailed than moaning....

What I never understood was changing a Western sounding name to a different Western sounding name for seemingly no reason. In Path of Radiance, Kevin became Kieran. But... why?

I don't think this applies to every similar case, but Kevin -> Kieran totally sounds like a "let's preserve the foreign elements of this name for international audiences" kind of thing. Kevin is a more familiar name for us than it likely is for Japanese people.

StormKing

I doubt this game takes 6 months to localize. Most likely they want it out at a specific time to address any game droughts the 3DS might experience next year. This year they have a new animal crossing game, a new zelda game and a pokemon substitute. Since the February release date worked well for Awakening, they believe that it will work well for Fates also.

I kind of understand why the localization is taking so long. Isn't the script massive? And it's not the only gave with a massive script they're working on right now. XCX has an ungodly amount of dialogue too.

Busaiku

I doubt this game takes 6 months to localize. Most likely they want it out at a specific time to address any game droughts the 3DS might experience next year. This year they have a new animal crossing game, a new zelda game and a pokemon substitute. Since the February release date worked well for Awakening, they believe that it will work well for Fates also.
That's probably not gonna be the case.
Next year they have this, Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, Bravely Second End Layer, Hyrule Warriors Legends, and some others.
Many of us are also expecting the next Pokemon game in the first half, though there's no real evidence of this.

The problem though is that everything next year is pretty much gonna be RPGs.
They have fewer this year and should've prioritized some of these titles.

Uhhhhhh. About that. It sure sounds lewd to me. And the actual content of what being said? Lewd.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Does anyone know why they would change it? 8-4 did such a good job on the first one. I'm kind of worried about losing some of the personality they brought to it.

If you ask me, Nintendo probably prefers to use their in-house localization department whenever possible and only outsources when in-house can't handle the project. As it should be.

lol what? Awakening had more stuff to translate as Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and that took over a year to do.

GamerJM

Banned
I honestly don't mind things like name changes as long as the localization itself is good. When I look back on poor localizations of the 90s, I don't think of unnecessary name changes, I think of poorly written and/or misinterpreted lines of dialogue. Also don't mind the wait times since there are enough games coming out on my end, though a whole year does seem pretty long.

Is this mode optional? Can you still develop support bonds and relationships through gameplay? What is the mechanical function of this mode beyond giving erogenous stimulation?

Sakura

Now I mentioned name changes not being a problem for me before, but they are a big deal now.
As you may know, Nohr and Hoshido are based around European and Japanese cultures, respectively. Names carry greater weight than before, and Treehouse kind of sees this as well.
As such they've chosen to keep certain names more similar, but in doing so, have caused a mess. Characters have name changes for no particular reason.
Leon is now Leo, Kazahana is Hana, Tsubaki is Subaki. What is even the point of this? The names are extremely similar, but they just dropped some letters because..?
Going back to the cause of the main character, Kamui in if and Corrin in Fates, the change was also dumb. The character is the child of Queen Mikoto (in if, dunno what she'll be in Fates) of Hoshido, a Japanese themed kingdom. It would make sense for the child to be named Kamui, a Japanese name. But nope, the character is now Corrin, cause why not.
While some localisation stuff I can understand, names have always confused me.
Is there really a reason to change Leon to Leo (assuming this is true)? Do they just think it sounds cooler?
Are Kazahana and Tsubaki too difficult for westerners to pronounce?

Kamui to Corrin doesn't really make sense either.
While it is true he was abducted, his name was not changed, and his family from the Hoshido side calls him by his name, so it should be Japanese.
Although considering you rename the protagonist it's not a big deal I guess.

holy fucking shit

I feel uncomfortable now. :/
A) Some of those are simply mistranslated
B) Pretty much they are all out of context
C) She is supposed to kind of be a sexy character, and other characters have much more normal lines.

Steel

Banned
C) She is supposed to kind of be a sexy character, and other characters have much more normal lines.

You know that link covers more than one character right? They all sound pretty bad.

A) How many are mistranslated? I've seen that thrown around a lot. If they're mistranslated, someone should provide us a correction.
B) Uh what is out of context? That you're rubbing their bodies/faces?
C) There are others besides Camilla's that are uncomfortable. If Elise's are translated right, they're uncomfortable as shit too.

Are Kazahana and Tsubaki too difficult for westerners to pronounce?

Yes. And more importantly, they are difficult to remember. This isn't a "westerner" thing either. Cultures have difficulty pronouncing and remembering names derived from langauges other than their own. Even made up ones.

It can be extremely difficult to keep straight all the names of characters in a large cast when many of those names are not natural to the language of the player.

Nanashrew

Banned
If you ask me, Nintendo probably prefers to use their in-house localization department whenever possible and only outsources when in-house can't handle the project. As it should be.

Yeah, this is normal. When Nintendo does outsource for translation it goes to 8-4 because they are consistently impressed by the quality of their translations.

Hikami

Some of them only show up if you're married to the character
and yeah, looking through Hinoka's texts (only character ive done the thing with) a lot of them are mistranslated. they're close but they sound like they were translated in a way to make them sound intentionally lewd

Sure. But Subaki simply isn't really a Japanese name, while Tsubaki is. It seems like a poor choice. Especially considering every one who knows English knows the word tsunami.
This bothered me the most, I can understand Leon -> Leo
But Tsubaki -> Subaki makes no damn sense

Sakura

You know that link covers more than one character right? They all sound pretty bad.
As I said, some are mis/poorly translated, or simply out of context.
For example something as simple as "I want you to do it more" sounds more weird/lewd than the actual line in Japanese would.
A) How many are mistranslated? I've seen that thrown around a lot. If they're mistranslated, someone should provide us a correction.
C) There are others besides Camilla's that are uncomfortable. If Elise's are translated right, they're uncomfortable as shit too.
I don't have a list of the source text to compare so I can't really call everything out.
But for example
'Ufufu... Are you limp, I wonder?'
Is just plain incorrect.
and lines like
'Next time, your big sister will be doing the petting.'
'This is a strange feeling. The place you're touching feels nice'
are kind of misleading because of the words used, and/or the lack of context.

Yes. And more importantly, they are difficult to remember. This isn't a "westerner" thing either. Cultures have difficulty pronouncing and remembering names derived from langauges other than their own. Even made up ones.

It can be extremely difficult to keep straight all the names of characters in a large cast when many of those names are not natural to the language of the player.
Sure. But Subaki simply isn't really a Japanese name, while Tsubaki is. It seems like a poor choice. Especially considering every one who knows English knows the word tsunami.
And Japanese in general is a simple language to pronounce. If you can say Hana, you can say Kazahana.

As I said, some are mis/poorly translated, or simply out of context.
For example something as simple as "I want you to do it more" sounds more weird/lewd than the actual line in Japanese would.

I don't have a list of the source text to compare so I can't really call everything out.
But for example
Is just plain incorrect.
and lines like

Not to give you a hard time, but you keep saying that the translations are wrong or the dialog is out of context without providing any evidence to support your defense. I understand if you can't for whatever reason, but in that case you're not really doing much to alleviate our concerns.

Sakura

Not to give you a hard time, but you keep saying that the translations are wrong or the dialog is out of context without providing any evidence to support your defense. I understand if you can't for whatever reason, but on that case you're not really doing much to alleviate our concerns.

What exactly am I supposed to provide you for evidence?
I don't have ripped text from the game.
There have been postings of Camilla's lines in audio form that I've heard. Though if you don't understand Japanese I wouldn't see the point in posting it to you.
I have the game. I'm married to Elise. I know what she says.
I also know you touch characters heads and that's it, they don't touch you or anything, Camilla's 'limp' line wouldn't even make any sense whatsoever if you think about it.

But for example
Is just plain incorrect.
and lines like
You're forcing me to take you word for it being an inaccurate translation, instead of telling me what the translation should be. It might be wrong, but for all I know, the actual translation could be better or even ten times worse.

rhandino

Banned
Not to give you a hard time, but you keep saying that the translations are wrong or the dialog is out of context without providing any evidence to support your defense. I understand if you can't for whatever reason, but on that case you're not really doing much to alleviate our concerns.
I think that the lack of context is mostly because some of the more risque lines are reserved when your character attains Rank S (Married) with the character in question, the character in question are mean to be seductress or a lady's man or funny because you can only really pet their heads even if you can see their torsos.

Even so, the most likely outcome is that the Treehouse is going to make neuter some of them, which is fine I guess.

Nanashrew

Banned
Not to give you a hard time, but you keep saying that the translations are wrong or the dialog is out of context without providing any evidence to support your defense. I understand if you can't for whatever reason, but in that case you're not really doing much to alleviate our concerns.

We really need the original Japanese script =/. We keep seeing on pastebins and tumblr translations but we have no way of knowing how correct they are either. There is a famous tumblr post going around that says rape is in the game but there is no rape in the game. I can only take most of these translations with a grain of salt and a lot of misinterpretation.

Sakura

You're forcing me to take you word for it being an inaccurate translation, instead of telling me what the translation should be. It might be wrong, but for all I know, the actual translation could be better or even ten times worse.

Ok. But at the same time people are taking some anonymous translation posted on the internet to be truth, just because. If you don't want to believe me, well that's up to you, I don't really care.

rhandino

Banned
We really need the original Japanese script =/. We keep seeing on pastebins and tumblr translations but we have no way of knowing how correct they are either. There is a famous tumblr post going around that says rape is in the game but there is no rape in the game. I can only take most of these translations with a grain of salt and a lot of misinterpretation.
I'm so not surprised...

uzOWLRM.gif

Ok. But at the same time people are taking some anonymous translation posted on the internet to be truth, just because. If you don't want to believe me, well that's up to you, I don't really care.

It's nothing personal, Sakura. It's one of those things where we don't have enough information on the subject and no reliable source either way, which is no offense to you. There's a lot of ambiguous data being passed around and believing one source over a dissenting source is still unfulfilling without real proof from anyone.

Nachos

As such they've chosen to keep certain names more similar, but in doing so, have caused a mess. Characters have name changes for no particular reason.
Leon is now Leo, Kazahana is Hana, Tsubaki is Subaki. What is even the point of this? The names are extremely similar, but they just dropped some letters because..?
Going back to the cause of the main character, Kamui in if and Corrin in Fates, the change was also dumb. The character is the child of Queen Mikoto (in if, dunno what she'll be in Fates) of Hoshido, a Japanese themed kingdom. It would make sense for the child to be named Kamui, a Japanese name. But nope, the character is now Corrin, cause why not.
The Hoshido name changes, for the most part, seem kind of insulting to me. Sure, the name changes seem pointless for Nohr, but the Hoshdo changes just seem to suggest that they can't trust people to be able to understand any remotely-complicated foreign name, making them see the need to "westernize" them. We already have loan words like tsunami in English, so it's not like silent Ts are a foreign concept (even if they aren't actually silent in Japanese). All of the name changes are pretty bad, though, even though I kind of prefer Azura to Aqua.

Corrin actually does make more sense to me than Kamui does, though. Why would a Nohr ruler, hating Hoshido, raise a baby with a Hoshido name when he could easily change it before the kid has memories of what it originally was? It seems like that'd basically be a good opportunity to assimilate Corrin into Nohr society while keeping their roots secret.

Does anyone know why they would change it? 8-4 did such a good job on the first one. I'm kind of worried about losing some of the personality they brought to it.
The arrangement hasn't changed much, actually. Awakening was a joint effort between 8-4 and Treehouse – it wasn't just an 8-4 solo project.

That's a lot mistranslated, then...
Camilla said:
I can't stand up anymore...
Elise said:
I want you to fill me with your love.
Belka said:
The armor's in the way, right?
Effie said:
More forcefully...
Anna said:
I guess there's no helping it. Shall I "service" you tonight?
Pieri said:
Your throbbing place, it looks like the flesh is tearing...
Not that I necessarily doubt what you're saying about mistranslation, but considering they dedicated an entire Live2D sprite just to Camilla's boobs, I think this is more than an innocent misunderstanding.

Top Bottom