• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Metal Gear's "Quiet" figurine features squishable boobs.

• Thread starter Deleted member 10571
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Not sure if addressed, but I wonder how the voice actress Quiet is modeled after feels about this. I mean, it's essentially her face and body made into an action figure with squishable boobs.
Already posted before. Seems like she's cool with it

byecc4hciaapkdub5usi.jpg

Also turns out that squishable breasts seem to be a standard feature of those figures. Snake has them as well.

Is not something good or bad, but we should called it differently, Politics. That is what it is being discuss here, and the post I replay to was about that. Someone made the claim that a lot of people seem to be discussing about games they don't care about only to start a discussion about politics, other people claim that why only customer/fans can criticize the product and then I said because we would be talking about politics rather than the game, which is what we are doing now, we are discussing everything but the product itself.

I am not saying that we shouldn't be discussing politics (if people like to) but that we shouldn't disguise it as a gaming discussion.

That the status quo is apolitical is one of the recurring errors I see in threads like this, if you don't want to discuss politics portray your avatars as abstract forms. If you spend literally millions of dollars to realistically portray avatars as humans in a virtual play space and they see or do anything then there is a political stance being taken. End of.

Especially because this is flipping MGS, since day one of this series it's been praised for it's political themes unless you think nuclear weapons are somehow apolitical also. Get off your high horse, embrace your apathy and quit pretending that people are inserting politics when you are merely choosing to ignore them.

KingGondo

Banned
It's a toy
It's art
You can make and sell whatever you want
Cmon
That isn't an argument. Once again, it's "stop criticizing this thing I like."

Nobody wants to stop Kojima, Konami, or the toy company from making this character design decision. Some people (including myself) see Quiet as a symptom of an industry that is unwelcoming to women and are pointing that out.

If you don't think that's true, then argue with me based on actual evidence. Enough with the handwaving that doesn't address our arguments though.

Also turns out that squishable breasts seem to be a standard feature of those figures. Snake has them as well.

Yeah..from Kojimas tweet he says-
PlayArtsKAI's Quiet is coming soon. Yoji, a supervisor says some soft materials enables to be pushed & lifted. lol

The way it's worded hints that he didn't know about this, so it's not like it was his decision or anything.

And if Snake really does have a squishy chest too...what's the problem <_>

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Well, I am of the opinion that the less agency a woman has in regards to her appearce, the more gross the situation becomes.

I don't disagree, that why I said imagine someone saying "There is no reason for her to be dressed like that other than to be ogled." to a real woman.

Chinbo37

Of course she is cool with it. She is making bank off her role. I dont think that really should be the defining factor.

Did Kojima post a tweet of himself or the PlayArts director fondling Snake's pectorals? Or is that behaviour reserved only for the character with mammary glands? It was, then I guess this comparison is the definition of disingenuous for like the 3rd page it's been on.

(repost from the last page)

Kinyou

Did Kojima post a tweet of himself or the PlayArts director fondling Snake's pectorals? Or is that behaviour reserved only for the character with mammary glands? It was, then I guess this comparison is the definition of disingenuous for like the 3rd page it's been on.

(repost from the last page)
I wasn't making a comparison at all. Just pointing out that this isn't a special feature they thought off just for the Quiet figure which the thread title kind of implies.

Most people also don't seem to complain about the tweets but more about the figure.

border

I am making a motion that now and forever we should cease referring to these kinds of memorabilia as "figure models". Instead we should call them "creep toys".

Who's with me?

Kurdel

Banned
I don't disagree, that why I said imagine someone saying "There is no reason for her to be dressed like that other than to be ogled." to a real woman.

And sevral posters pointed out how that wasn't really relevant in this case, where she was designed from scratch.

Politics? LOL, Have you ever played a metal gear game? It's one of the most political game series out there. Ground Zeros was Big Boss infiltrating Guantanamo Bay with plenty of torture of prisoners of war.

You seem to be trying to hide behind the label of politics so you can dismiss any criticism with no effort.

I played all the games, most of them thrice. You know what we are talking about here, we aren't having a discussion about the game but rather or own political views about a toy based on the MGS franchise. My own opinion is that this products have existed for a long time, I don't take offense in them existing and that I will never buy it. If we are discussing about the reasons as why quiet is half naked in Afghanistan we should wait for MGS 5 to come out, because she may use photosynthesis to use her crazy powers (or other crazy ass idea Kojima may have) which would be in line with the crazy powers in the universe of MGS.

Even if everything else about this was fine, I would call the whole deal kind of tasteless especially if Quiet indeed has a depressing back-story involving sexual abuse. Think about it, what if there was a figurine of Rooney Mara from Girl With The Dragon Tattoo released and it was proudly proclaimed that it had squishy boobs? Would you be okay with that considering what happens to her in the movie?

Everything else may be goofy but APPARENTLY AS PER BASED KOJIMA Quiet is supposed to be this super deep and complex character that will make us cry

I played all the games, most of them thrice. You know what we are talking about here, we aren't having a discussion about the game but rather or own political views about a toy based on the MGS franchise. My own opinion is that this products have existed for a long time, I don't take offense in them existing and that I will never buy it. If we are discussing about the reasons as why quiet is half naked in Afghanistan we should wait for MGS 5 to come out, because she may use photosynthesis to use her crazy powers (or other crazy ass idea Kojima may have) which would be in line with the crazy powers in the universe of MGS.
If that was the case, where was the End's speedo?

Kinyou

Even if everything else about this was fine, I would call the whole deal kind of tasteless especially if Quiet indeed has a depressing back-story involving sexual abuse. Think about it, what if there was a figurine of Rooney Mara from Girl With The Dragon Tattoo released and it was proudly proclaimed that it had squishy boobs? Would you be okay with that considering what happens to her in the movie?
No, I wouldn't. But let's wait and see what it actually is. This is getting into "The villain of Far Cry 4 might be gay and that is bad" territory.

Kurdel

Banned

That would be a creative way of excusing her character design.

Just like those thousand year old hentai witches who happen to look like 6 year old girls.

No, I wouldn't. But let's wait and see what it actually is. This is getting into "The villain of Far Cry 4 might be gay and that is bad" territory.

Exactly. Forget game-play, I want MGS 5 to check whether my fears regarding a supporting female character have been proven true or not... lol!

But as I mentioned before, fingers crossed for an epic troll which makes everyone feel dirty

kamorra

Fuck Cancer

Everything else may be goofy but APPARENTLY AS PER BASED KOJIMA Quiet is supposed to be this super deep and complex character that will make us cry

I'm not sure why we should be outraged about this if we don't even know if that's how it plays out.

I wasn't making a comparison at all. Just pointing out that this isn't a special feature they thought off just for the Quiet figure which the thread title kind of implies.

Most people also don't seem to complain about the tweets but more about the figure.

I don't think folks outside the figure collecting community knew PlayArts used this material for Snake and that Kojima is taking the time to tell us only when it allows for squishy breasts on Quiet says a lot. If Snake were as sexualised as Quiet is then I'd say it really is equal opportunity ogling but unless his butt uses similar materials I'm going to say it probably isn't. The tweets are germane because they feed into the Quiet as fan service narrative he could still wow us all with her story in V but I am very sceptical at this point.

PBY

Banned
Exactly. Forget game-play, I want MGS 5 to check whether my fears regarding a supporting female character have been proven true or not... lol!

But as I mentioned before, fingers crossed for an epic troll which makes everyone feel dirty

Man, I just think stances like this completely miss the point of why some people have spoken up with certain issues about this figure.

Mr. RHC

#LeaveKojimaAlone

#ShinkawaDidIt I suppose.

For real tho, Yoji Shinkawa did all designs, give some credit.

#AYojiShinkawaDesign

zoukka

pretty sure that's exactly where this is going... and its completely fucked up

I mean if she is a victim of sexual violence and they are further sexualizing her action figure? christ almighty Kojima..

But that's the point of the character. It is supposed to make you feel bad and weird.

Kurdel

Banned
I'm not sure why we should be outraged about this if we don't even know if that's how it plays out.

I also have an issue with criticism being automaticaly classified as outrage. You can also use the words "disgusted", "grossed out" or "creeped out", but it's harder to dismiss than if you just chalk it up to "outrage".

But that's the point of the character. It is supposed to make you feel bad and weird.

While also coming with a free side of T&A? And without being the focus of the story (she is optional side char)?

I find it hard to believe anyone could do justice to the 'sexy sex abuse victim' concept let alone the person who offered those tapes and that ending to GZ.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I also have an issue with criticism being automaticaly classified as outrage. You can also use the words "disgusted", "grossed out" or "creeped out", but it's harder to dismiss than if you just chalk it up to "outrage".
I didn't dismiss criticism, I dismissed one theory from a specific user and I really don't get why you felt offended or the need to inserting your point of view in this particularly case.

Also English is my third language so excuse me for being not as eloquent or nuanced as you may like.

PBY

Banned

This. Most of the criticism in this thread seems pretty measured.

Man, I just think stances like this completely miss the point of why some people have spoken up with certain issues about this figure.

The difference is that Kojima isn't some cynical corporate suit whose selling sleaze
This man made a career out of shocking stunts, this could be a stunt too, commentary even

But as per global morals and values, the figurine is juvenile and somewhat harmful towards the image of women in gaming, if not harmful even then it is doing nothing to improve their status

Puruzi

Banned
20+ pages of people whining about boobs seems like outrage to me.

Kurdel

Banned

Either you aren't reading enough, or you have a ridiculously low bar for what you consider "outrage".

I didn't dismiss criticism, I dismissed one theory from a specific user and I really don't get why you felt offended or the need to inserting your point of view in this particularly case.

Also English is my third language so excuse me for being not as eloquent or nuanced as you may like.

English is my second language, we are all here to learn.

KingGondo

Banned
20+ over some boobs, holy crap.

What's next? People saying Nintendo is sexualizing 14 y/o with Splatoon Characters?

Oh wait.
What the hell are you talking about.

Puruzi said:
Please go back through the thread and find posts that you would classify as outraged, or even angry. I'll wait.

Mr. RHC

But as per global morals and values, the figurine is juvenile and somewhat harmful towards the image of women in gaming,

Nah. If you really want to stress the "harmful" nature of that figurine, let's pretend this wasn't pushed as much as it was, especially by media outlets, this would be pretty minor. It's easy traffic, really. Everything "outrage" surrounding Kojima and or Konami will get you impressions.

I don't think this is harmful towards the image of women in the figurine market. (I'm not an expert).

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
What the hell are you talking about.
Please go back through the thread and find posts that you would classify as outraged, or even angry. I'll wait.

If you serious just read the very first page starting with the OP.

edit
I'l play along and give you some examples all from the first page.
as posted by Kojima himself.
Twitter post (NSFW) https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/597687270284468224

Picture (NSFW): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEt5PpyWYAApUrD.jpg

I don't even. Why is Kojima/MGS moving against anything people managed to achieve when it comes to women in gaming recently?

This all is so weird to me.

Dude is a grown up man, jesus christ. Kojima what will your wife think?

Whats the point other than being really creepy?

No, but this really is. Its literal objectification.

Regardless of what Quiet's character reasons are for dressing that way, they used her as a marketing tool which is unacceptable.

This only helps my theory that konami fired him because he is an asshole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom